Hurricane Tips: Here Comes Florence

I’ve been through this the past two years. There are many resources, so review them now.

Like @jalapeno_pretzel said, keep your gas tanks full. Gas stations here ran out. If you MIGHT evacuate to a hotel, make reservations NOW, especially if you have to accommodate pets. If you are staying, prepare to be without power for several days. Do all this now.

Basically prepare for the worst.

Buy and fill an extra 5 gallon gas can or 2.

Fill bathtubs and all extra plastic ware with water. Bathtubs for flushing toilets. Extra containers are frozen for 8ce or drinking water.

Buy bottled water, favorite snacks, paper plates, food to eat without power now.

Just prepped this week for Gordon which was a no show here.

Stay safe everyone.

Water is going fast here in NC ... I was going to wait until maybe Tuesday but heard it was already gone several places so went ahead and got some. It wasn't an issue at the store I went to, but some are already out - though I'm sure they'll get more shipments in the next couple of days.

Unless the track changes by Tuesday, I will be taking Tues off to head down to SC to move in our patio furniture inside the condo. We're not allowed to put up plywood, and we don't have sandbags. Based on the current track, we would be on the backside, so hopefully not a big problem with flooding. Actually, the projected rain will be a lot heavier at home!

I could have gone down today, but i'm still hoping for a little shift to the north. If it's going to hit north or Wilmington, then the patio furniture will probably be OK.

One of the bigger memories of Irma last year was how early things sold out. I couldn't find a 5 gallon gas can anywhere 6 days before she hit. It was a flurry of preparing and then days and days of waiting and watching to see which path she would actually take. I feel bad for everyone staring at forecasts right now trying to figure out where Florence will actually hit. Hope everyone stays safe.

Subbing to this thread. We aren't used to getting this kind of weather except for snow in the winter and that usually doesn't last too long. Washing dishes and clothes before hand will be good and I will definitely fill up the tub if it keeps looking bad. It will be much harder to keep food than in the winter and cold weather, that will be an issue if the power goes out. I guess we would live on chips and warm coke or tea? (BLEH!) Also will be convincing DH to fill up the gas tanks. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Any suggestions for food?

Water here in Myrtle is slowly running out. Many Walmarts and Sam's Club is out. I've seen it at Aldi's and gas stations for anyone looking. There are no generators anywhere to be found, not that I've seen at least. I also read that since SC is in a State of Emergency, hotels/motels MUST accept your pets when you check in. So that's good at least... gotta keep the furbabies safe too!

Subbing to this thread. We aren't used to getting this kind of weather except for snow in the winter and that usually doesn't last too long. Washing dishes and clothes before hand will be good and I will definitely fill up the tub if it keeps looking bad. It will be much harder to keep food than in the winter and cold weather, that will be an issue if the power goes out. I guess we would live on chips and warm coke or tea? (BLEH!) Also will be convincing DH to fill up the gas tanks. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Any suggestions for food?

One thing we do is fill in all extra space in the freezer with ice in plastic containers, Incase the ice melts to keep cold and frozen foods cold Incase the power outage is a short time. I also take a Tupperware container that has ice frozen already and put a penny on top to see how warm the freezer gets.

When the time gets close fill an ice chest or two with ice. Put drinks in one, label the top. Put food sandwich meat, yogurt, milk for cereal, etc..anything else cold you want to eat in the other ice chest. That way if power goes out no will open the freezer or refrigerator and items will stay colder for a longer time.

Paper plates and disposable utensils along with garbage bags. Have some baby wipes on hand.

Stay safe!!!!

STAY SAFE ALL!!!::yes:: Anyone near Hilton Head, curious how that area is doing? Assume active preparation as well!::yes::

Ugh!

Ok SE/Mid Atlantic Disers are you getting ready for Florence?

One of my favorite tips is: Make sure to do all your dishes and laundry BEFORE.

Be safe!

Right before I read this, I just texted my husband to tell him we needed to get our laundry done this week.

We live inland, but looks like we could get a lot of flooding. We lost power for a week in April when a tornado touched down about 1/2 a mile from our house. I spent hours at a laundromat with a weeks worth of laundry to catch up on. Will not be doing that again this time around.

Then just last month, we were under a voluntary evacuation order due to a dam breach during a terrible flash flood. Luckily our house is on the top of a hill. Neighbors on the same street, further down the hill were mandatory evacuated. Not looking forward to flooding from Florence. We can't take much more water and I'm sure trees are already weakened in our area due to the prior flood and tornado so I expect power outages as well.

At least this time we have warning- getting laundry and dishes done, filling up water and ice, stocking up on batteries, etc. Hoping it won't be as bad as they predict. I feel sorry for those on the coast.

I'm spending 6-8 hours/day starting today watching this storm and tracking it, I have to for my job. However, it's still 1000 miles out to sea. While everyone on the eastern seaboard should definitely be aware of it and be prepared, it's WAAAAAY too early to say where it's going to make landfall. It can, and very likely will, change from today through Friday.

One thing we do is fill in all extra space in the freezer with ice in plastic containers, Incase the ice melts to keep cold and frozen foods cold Incase the power outage is a short time. I also take a Tupperware container that has ice frozen already and put a penny on top to see how warm the freezer gets.

When the time gets close fill an ice chest or two with ice. Put drinks in one, label the top. Put food sandwich meat, yogurt, milk for cereal, etc..anything else cold you want to eat in the other ice chest. That way if power goes out no will open the freezer or refrigerator and items will stay colder for a longer time.

Paper plates and disposable utensils along with garbage bags. Have some baby wipes on hand.

Stay safe!!!!

Just to add to your thoughts....right now fill up any freezer space with water bottles. Day ahead, take those out put those into cooler , replace those with the containers as you said. Wrapped those coolers with a blanket or two for extra insulation.

When we have had short term power outages, I have used sterno outside inside the grill. We have charcoal grills so starting them just to heat up water or a can of soup is dumb.

I'm spending 6-8 hours/day starting today watching this storm and tracking it, I have to for my job. However, it's still 1000 miles out to sea. While everyone on the eastern seaboard should definitely be aware of it and be prepared, it's WAAAAAY too early to say where it's going to make landfall. It can, and very likely will, change from today through Friday.

Are there still models saying it is not going to hit the east coast?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter