Hurricane Tips: Here Comes Florence

We just went thru Harvey last year so here are some of our take aways from that storm. Make sure to get some cash. The ATM's won't work if there's no electricity and many businesses will open for limited hours after the storm passes but will only be able to accept cash. Walk thru each room of your house and take pictures of everything. This will help with insurance later if you have damages. Be sure that all of your vehicles have full tanks of gas. Since we were under a state of emergency when we evacuated, the hotels did not charge any taxes on the room so you may want to check if that applies in your state. Keep receipts for everything that you spend to get ready for the hurricane and what you spend while you are evacuated. Our insurance even paid for the thundershirts that we had to buy for our dogs because they were so scared being in a different place.

Are there still models saying it is not going to hit the east coast?

I haven't seen any. However, since it's so far out in the ocean, the cone gets really wide as it approaches the US. From all that I've seen US landfall is likely, however a 50 mile shift one way or another right now would have a huge impact on the projections. So this is truly a "TBD" situation. It's not impossible that it misses the US, after all, just a few days ago it only had a 20% chance of making landfall. However, I wouldn't expect it to miss.

I freeze water in ziplocks and make sure every portable charger is charged (none of that helped with sandy with power out for over a week - couldn’t even pump the water out of the basement).

One tip I learned the hard way is to make sure that your car either has a USB port or you buy a car cell phone charger. After Hurricane Dolly, I was without power for 5 days, and when my cell phone lost power (fortunately it was the day we got our electricity back), it was kind of scary. DH was on a business trip overseas, making it even harder.

I can say what we do but not sure how useful it is in other areas:

Gas up the cars and get at least 2 extra gas cans filled.

Get cash out of the bank--at least enough for a few days.

Make sure you have whatever fuel you need for your outdoor grill (our grills saved us after Katrina, we even made coffee on the grill)

Put bottles of water to freeze in any free space in your freezer (we move anything that we can from the refrigerator freezer to the stand alone freezer. Try to arrange things so that you don't have to go into the freezer if the lights go off.

Depending on when its coming in, the day before or the day of, fill any and all coolers with ice. Wrap in blankets to insulate.

Buy food items that you and your family will eat and as much as you can that doesn't need refrigeration. Cooking wasn't an issue after Katrina because of the grills but keeping things cold was. And don't forget to get extra pet food and supplies just in case its needed.

Paper products--toilet paper, paper towels, etc. I also keep baby wipes just in case the water is out for a short time. Can't stand not being able to wash off at least.

Make sure you have enough of all your meds to last a week or so.

Fill bathtubs with water

Most of the things that we do have already been touched upon. We try to have all of our chores taken care of...laundry done, dishwasher run, bathrooms wiped, and floor areas cleared so we aren't stumbling around in the dark. The things that I think we may need access to, like food items, paper plates, plastic cups, etc. I put out on the counter, since they are usually stored in the basement. The large lantern is placed on the dining table and a small flashlight is placed by each bed.

I make cookies or other baked goods ahead. Comfort foods seem to make a difficult situation a little easier to bear. @luvsJack is on point with making sure that you have stuff that your family will enjoy eating. A crisis is not the time to be forcing cold beans into the kids if you can plan for some better options. A short time of "unbalanced" meals won't likely do much harm.

Having glow sticks on hand to tie to the top of a staircase, place on a bathroom counter, or lay along a hallway, can help with safety issues at night.

Plan and/or set out some activities to pass the time (cards, board games, activity books).

Ensure that your clean-up gear is in good shape...oil and fuel for chain saws, rubber boots, heavy work gloves, heavy duty trash bags.

One that a lady told me in Walmart today--sharpen up your chain saw. That way, you can help cut/remove tree limbs in your yard/neighborhood. I never would have thought of that. We live in an older neighborhood--DH and I are no spring chickens, but we have the only school-aged kids, everyone else is 70+. So, being able to help our neighbors would be nice. Of course, DH works at the power plant, there's a good chance he won't even be home, he'll bunk in at work. But DS21 can help out here.

I understand that the storm is still a few days out, but they've already cancelled school here for the rest of the week. I just read a Yahoo article that literally had a picture of my Walmart with empty shelves (I was there this morning, the shelves still had plenty of bread). And DD15 reported last night that Jim Cantor(?) was in town. Apparently he's some guy who chases the big storms. I do not feel encouraged that he chose our city as Ground Zero.

Always have lots of large HD trash bags, a gallon of bleach and a couple of buckets on hand. The buckets will first be used for flushing in the event that the water pumping system in your area goes down (no water pressure), and then afterward, for cleaning up any mud or floodwater residue. The bleach will be essential if you need to clean up flood debris, and may be sold out after the storm. It is also useful for making water clean enough to use on your body if you get water system contamination. Also make sure that your first-aid kit is stocked and up-to-date; not for storm injuries, but from clean-up injuries -- you get lots of cuts and scrapes cleaning up after a storm. Include medical super-glue for closing cuts.

While you are waiting to decide whether to evacuate, put one-of-a-kind items (photos, legal documents, wedding gowns, stuff like that) in waterproof containers and store them high off the ground. Make sure that you have hardcopies & PDF cell phone photos of all home insurance and repair history documentation in a waterproof file and take it with you if you leave. (Do NOT depend on being able to retrieve items from the cloud immediately after a storm.) Get out the pruner and remove any tree limbs that are in any way iffy with regard to your home and or vehicles. If you have a treed lot and do not own a chainsaw, buy one now. Get rid of the limbs once they are down, so they don't become missiles. If you must park your vehicles in a treed area, get something soft like bubble wrap and put it over the windshield to mitigate the risk of breakage.

If you are not allowed to board up windows, cut down cardboard boxes flat, tape garbage bags over them, and then tape them to the inside of windward-facing windows and those that are at risk from flying debris such as tree branches. The cardboard won't stop breakage, but it will help mitigate interior damage if the window does break. Also, put trash bags under towels underneath those windows, so that if they just leak, the water is less likely to spread to the rest of the room. This is particularly true of sliding doors, which are notorious for leaking under storm pressure.

As other people have noted, ice is critical, and the larger the pieces, the longer they will last. Making your own for cooling is better than buying it, because you can freeze it in containers and large contoured pieces. If you use coolers to store perishables, pack them as tightly as possible, and put a layer of plastic-wrapped newspaper or towels at the top to insulate the opening and hold in the cold better. Store them away from sunlight if possible.

On the subject of cash, I recommend about $500 if you can swing it, with at least $60 in small bills for buying things like ice or water. You may need to pay cash for a hotel room if you get damage. Gasoline is critical if you live near an evacuation zone: SAFELY store enough to refill a vehicle tank at least once, in case you have to evacuate and get stuck in a traffic jam. (Also, not pleasant, but if you evacuate, be sure to carry some kind of large blanket or towel in the car; a couple of stiff windshield sunshades are even better. You may need to be able to hold it up so that someone can pee on the side of the road. Last time I was in that kind of traffic jam, I witnessed a young teen girl get in and out of a car several times to try to find a way to shield herself from the view of other drivers, but she couldn't. We were near an on-ramp, and a line of truckers had a full view. She ended up having to humiliate herself on the side of a road with at least 100 people looking on.)

Get supplies right now. Don't wait.

Don't forget your dogs. Get extra food for them.

Same goes for baby supplies.

Ready chain saws and work gloves to remove debris AFTER (stress after) the storm passes.

Remember your car is a generator. You can charge your phones in there if you are without power. If you have an inverter you can power SMALL electronics. Don't go plugging your fridge in there though.

Freeze everything that can be frozen now.

DON'T RUN YOUR GENERATOR INSIDE!!!! Every time a hurricane hits us here, you hear about 1 or two families killed by running the genny inside. Don't be them.

Have cash on hand.

Cheap headlamps are awesome when showering in the dark.

You don't have to live off of crappy canned foods you rarely eat. When running water is questionable, eating canned stuff you normally don't eat for 3 days and getting the squirts is NOT fun. Especially when the bathroom fart fan isn't working. (ask me about that one) Get decent stuff you normally eat.

Take a minute and video your entire house today including your roof for insurance purposes.

Our Governor here in Maryland just declared a State of Emergency, I suppose in an effort to be proactive in case it heads north, and flooding becomes a issue.
I've been thru so many Hurricanes at this point I tend to not stock up like others - a habit I should amend. I'll be grabbing some water...pups just got a order from the dog food guy
so we are good there. We've got a generator and can cook/prepare food. We usually don't stock our freezer with a lot of stuff until after Hurricane Season anyway, so at least in the case of long term loss of electric (generator can't run entire house full time for a week- worse case scenario) we won't loss much.

I will be stocking up on those most important of Hurricane supplies - beer & wine::yes::

Oh yeah, as some have said--flashlights! And make sure you have a lot of batteries. You may go through even more than you think. When the power is out all over it is DARK. Kids can be scared in that kind of dark when they aren't usually. DD has never had a fear of the dark but after Katrina, she slept with a flashlight on in her room. We love the battery operated lanterns, they light a big area so if you can get those, do so.

On the note of eating food your family doesn't like. Keep in mind that if the power goes out and you need to, fire up that grill and cook! We cooked almost everything in our freezer. We threw away the last of it as it had been longer than we trusted but we kept it frozen as long as possible and then on ice. We honestly ate pretty good off that grill.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, depend on businesses getting power back quickly and being able to eat out or stock up after or any of that. After Katrina it was a struggle as a lot of people were in need of items they just could not get. Small community stores were selling 100% out of stuff. I am an hour inland. A week after the storm we finally were able to go to the grocery store and they had no meat at all including sandwich meat, no milk or any kind of dairy and no fresh anything. They had to throw it all away.

And I second (or third?) getting supplies ready to clean up after. Had my wonderful in laws not been prepared, we would not have been able to get down our driveway! Lots of people were honestly blocked in their homes due to trees being down. Chain saws were how some of the roads got clear for emergency vehicles to get down too. So, its not just your yard that you may have to worry about.

If you decide to evacuate, do it early. You don't want to be stuck on the highway with thousands of others who decide to evacuate.

Also should you choose to take off and get away from the storm, be sure to empty the fridge and freezer. Friends that ran away from Katrina had food in both and by the time they got back it was without power for many days and they had to throw them away because of the smell. House was fine but appliances were ruined. Not sure how they build houses on the east coast but in Texas we have weep holes (gaps in the lowest course of bricks on your house that allows circulation in the walls to avoid moisture buildup) and I always have several tubes of silicon caulk that I seal those holes with. Prevents wind blown rain from getting in and doing damage. Easy to remove afterwards with a pair of needle nose pliers. Fill tubs, make or buy ice, get drinking water, bread and canned goods, make sure you have propane if you have a propane grill. Extra gas for cars and or generators, cash, battery operated radios, and find the digital attena for your TV cause cable is gone (assuming you have a generator). Flashlights are working and have extra batteries, if you have cell phone batteries that can be charged to recharge them make sure they are full. And as I said on another thread buy beer, lots of beer, and ice, lots of ice! Then hunker down and wait it out. We have lived within 30 miles of the Texas Gulf Coast since 1959 and have gone through a bunch of these things and not bugged out yet. It gets a little dicey sometimes but we are the type that would rather be there to take care of things that to not be there and not know.

Don't just buy flashlights; know where they are. Murphy's law is you will lose power once it is already dark outside. Taplights are great in the bathroom.

Get shelf-stable drinks beyond water. Think gatorade, etc. We haven't had too many extended hurricane power outages, but we've done lengthy snowstorm power outages. By day 5, you really want something besides water, but you can't use or open the fridge...

Make sure all prescription medications are filled and you have enough to last well past the storm. Sam goes for the first aid kit and OTC medication.

This will definitely hit the coast. If you are likely to be in the storm’s path and are close to the coast, you should be making your evacuation plans now, just in case.

Make sure all prescription medications are filled and you have enough to last well past the storm. Sam goes for the first aid kit and OTC medication.

I was just going to post this! Stay safe everyone.

Two other items to be aware of: weather radios and automotive emergency hammers. If you are an Apple devotee, go get yourself a battery-powered weather radio. Apple devices don't have over-the-air radio capability, and if a tower goes down in a storm, you may not have service for awhile. That could be a very serious situation if you are directly in the path of a flash flood or storm surge.

If you live in an area that is at all at risk for flash flooding, buy an escape hammer for each car if you don't already have one (you coastal types should already have them). If you are in your car and drive into floodwater or get caught in a flash flood, you may need one to break your windows to escape.

Also, if you are counting on your children being able to watch some video on portable devices, download the files to those devices now, and invest in large-capacity backup batteries to keep them charged. No HD on battery power should go without saying, but kids tend not to realize how much power HD sucks up.

I would think that most area's of US that are hurricane prone everyone would already have generators, bottled water and gas cans already bought long ago. To me that is being prepared way ahead of the storms that affect most people on a yearly basis. Hey if you never need to use the supplies not big deal right? We only have tornadoes here where I live. I have lanterns etc for a power outage, but we have not been really hit big in over 20-30years. The little towns are the ones who always get destroyed. Stay safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter