• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Watchers--Post Here!

My party of 6 is due to fly to Orlando from Boston Logan on Sunday morning and I am doing my best not to freak out. Its not being there in the hurricane that bothers me, its if the flights get cancelled! We got cancelled with Irene last year but got a flight a day earlier and still it was nerve wracking! But reading these posts is somewhat soothing, so thank you everybody!

mattsdragon said:
Is it me, or do all Southerners, especially those from hurricane prone areas, shake their head a bit at the Yankees and Midwesterners fretting the weather?

Instead of watching the weather channel and being afraid of a raindrop, read up on the history of hurricanes and their actual effect on central Florida.

I don't think anyone here is afraid of a raindrop.

Anyone who goes to Disney during this season knows it rains most days for at least a short while.

We have read stories here on the boards of people being stuck in their rooms for a day, parks opening late, or having to brave the parks in the driving rain for several days.

We know we can't change the weather. However, most of us also can't change our trip dates and we all hope to have the vacations of our dreams.

I'm flying out on Monday as well!!! We're basically SICK about this hurricane. We're supposed to land very early (our flight is from NY at 7 AM)...

Us too! We fly out of Buffalo at 6 a.m.! I'm worried sick............:scared1:

al6yi5tjxkdufyr8.png

We're flying out of NJ Tuesday 7 am and we're only there until Saturday, so if flights get cancelled, we'll have to cancel the trip. Not enough time to make adjustments. We'll lose return airfare (different airline) and military tickets which will expire September 30. It just stinks. Plus DVC points we'll have to scramble to use because they're borrowed. Praying for a turn in direction!

appleorchard said:
We're flying out of NJ Tuesday 7 am and we're only there until Saturday, so if flights get cancelled, we'll have to cancel the trip. Not enough time to make adjustments. We'll lose return airfare (different airline) and military tickets which will expire September 30. It just stinks. Plus DVC points we'll have to scramble to use because they're borrowed. Praying for a turn in direction!

I'm from NJ too! We r leaving Friday though so should have no problem getting there but after just watching the latest advisory it looks like its heading more and more west to the gulf! Fingers crossed that that's what happens! Hope you don't have any flight problems and a great trip!

I don't think anyone here is afraid of a raindrop.

Exactly!! I'm not afraid of the rain- I packed a poncho and if I get rained on, I get rained on!!! I'm concerned my FLIGHT will be cancelled and I won't be able to get there at all.

Last year, my trip to DisneyLAND got nixed because of Irene and my flight being cancelled... If Isaac messes up my trip to Disneyworld, I'm going to be so annoyed.

We are flying out Sunday from Detroit! Fingers crossed! But I have my wellies all packed! Kids in flip flops. Ponchos for all 4 of us and strollers. We are set to rock n' roll. Bring it Issac! :thumbsup2

Originally Posted by mattsdragon
Is it me, or do all Southerners, especially those from hurricane prone areas, shake their head a bit at the Yankees and Midwesterners fretting the weather?

the short answer is , yep. But those of us who have been here a while have seen plenty of southern folks act a fool and lose their lives not taking a bit of a blow serious. so that fish flops both ways.

I plan on sitting in the River Roost and drinking a hurricane during the hurricane. :thumbsup2 I'm simply not worried about anything. It's not worth it.

Instead of watching the weather channel and being afraid of a raindrop, read up on the history of hurricanes and their actual effect on central Florida.

Yep! It's not just the weather either. How many times have we seen posts from the people up north fretting over alligators, snakes, and bugs?:rotfl: We don't have alligators where I live in Texas, but we do have alot snakes, bugs, armadillos, oppossums, foxes, coyotes, skunks, etc. They are just a part of life around here.

I sure hope you are all right. The big picture at www.weather.com doesnt look pretty! Nor do the 23 mph winds and rain forecasted for Mon. And Tues.

23 MPH that's not even a good thunder storm,, no it will be a strong cat 1 or two, it has a 300 miles drive from the keys with nothing it its way and that hot gulf is jet fuel they always underestimate how fast they grow n that water and that area the path is projected now is like bath water...
from this point on they will under do it with strength for a couple days, its the program, plus, it could get riped totally apart depending on where it crosses Cuba, However, if you have looked at the sat loops on Noaa, yo will note it took a unpredicted huge jog to the south the last 5 hours.
and I would like to remind, 5 days out is kinda hard to predict so just keep watching, it's interesting too, so what the heck... my oldest Son and Fam still live near Ft Myers and told me the grocery stores are already low on things like bread and peanut butter, water etc, they will fill up this am and be out by noon.
to those of you talking about northern rain gear... you'll dehydrate in that, the rain and wind and temps won't go below 70... @ MIDNIGHT! nope not kidding... it stays hot and humid the entire rain event and the days to follow are hot with 100% humidity, hence the big push on bottled water and drinks. just FYI... it only lasts a bit Orlando is inland so wind and rain and this is a HUGE storm mass wise, but not a strong one. FYI, if you're not in Orlando by sunday noon, you're not gonna make it in until wed or Thursday so get insurance, change flights, if you get stuck down there you get stuck, they will take care of you, I promise so relax get your ducks in a row and enjoy your extra vacation day or two, if you can't get back you can't get back folks, it's an act of god..... of Dog.. whatever.

For those of you who've weathered hurricanes at WDW before, do you recommend stocking up on some food in the room as well as bottled water? I did this once about 5 years ago when it looked like we might have a hurricane coming through but that then changed course and I had a room full of stuff we never wound up eating.

We leave early Sunday morning, according to Al Roker- the storm will be over Cuba so we should be able to get out... I don't always trust the weatherman, but the path he showed had it pretty far from Orlando so like every August, we will just pack our rain gear and pray for the best! I just want to get there!!!

For those of you who've weathered hurricanes at WDW before, do you recommend stocking up on some food in the room as well as bottled water? I did this once about 5 years ago when it looked like we might have a hurricane coming through but that then changed course and I had a room full of stuff we never wound up eating.

here is the best I can tell ya, until the storm is knocking on your door no one can tell you where it's coming ashore... the thing is HUGE there has been so much rain in Fl this year there is going to be water issues... so, this is what I would do, cereal, a little milk, water enough for two days ( a gal a day per adult) plus disney will have water, plus, not even residents of F drink the tap water so why r you anyway???
I get peantubutter, jelly, bread, apples and bananas... what more can you want? if I'm in a villa with full kitchen, Iget more like lunch meat, ( use packets of condiments at all the hamburger and pool grills), icecream pints are good, we get frozen yogurt, in fact I would get ben and Jerrys frozen greek yogurt, and hope for a good two days to sit and eat many pionts but that's just me... ha!
you need to get cash. not a debit card, or travelers checks, no one will be able to help you as the electric could be off for a bit so you have to have cash, remember cash??? also if yo have a car gas it up and keep it full. this storm may not send people from the state to disney, they might stay in Miami, and up that coast... BUT too soon to tell that yet,
I think, this thing is going to cross the state at some point, go out into the Atlantic and get caught up in the gulf stream and become a fish storm at that point... I have been watching and studying these things for 20 years or so, and I gotta tell ya, as far as path, I know every bit as much as anyone on TV... this does not mean I'm smart, it means we just don't have the tools to be better yet. its hard when the gov has been underfunding Nat hurricane center for past 20 years or so...
plus just a guess, that convention will get moved to Orlando if they have to... mark my words, LOL>
this storm is not going to stall out , its going to move BUT it is HUGE look at the pictures from space... if you picked it up and set it on the map it would cover from Boston to Ga. so its gonna rain a day and a half... it might close the park might not, depends on when and where it crosses. anyway, it's an adventure! how many people get to say they went hurricaine hunting for vaca???

Personally, I'm just going to make sure we have some snacks and drinks on hand in case we have to be in our room for a bit. I'm not going to over do it with things that we wouldn't normally use/eat. I'm also packing Skip Bo, Yahtzee, and Sequence to keep my 4 teenage girls occupied. There's no way to really know. I wouldn't over react AT ALL and go overboard. Disney will let us know if we need to stay in. At that point, then I would make a quicl trip to the food court/gift shop and get a few extras.

On another note, wouldn't you know it, the storm is taking the path right now that is similar to the European tracker, lol! Hopefully, it continues to move more and more west and go into the Gulf for all of us Disney folks!

We leave early Sunday morning, according to Al Roker- the storm will be over Cuba so we should be able to get out... I don't always trust the weatherman, but the path he showed had it pretty far from Orlando so like every August, we will just pack our rain gear and pray for the best! I just want to get there!!!

check out the size of storm, now look at the distance from cuba to orlando....

Personally, I'm just going to make sure we have some snacks and drinks on hand in case we have to be in our room for a bit. I'm not going to over do it with things that we wouldn't normally use/eat. I'm also packing Skip Bo, Yahtzee, and Sequence to keep my 4 teenage girls occupied. There's no way to really know. I wouldn't over react AT ALL and go overboard. Disney will let us know if we need to stay in. At that point, then I would make a quick trip to the food court/gift shop and get a few extras.

On another note, wouldn't you know it, the storm is taking the path right now that is similar to the European tracker, lol! Hopefully, it continues to move more and more west and go into the Gulf for all of us Disney folks!

if you are in Orlando your going to get some of this storm... look at the size of the storm on sat pics... now use your fingers, to measure or a pen or something and move that thing up the coast, it is like from ny to atlanta.... ROFL.. also, if you wait that long there wont be anything left... I'd plan on having food for 12 -24 hours. pick fun stuff, esp if you have a freezer, or a little fridge, I doubt you loose electric with this , and if you do it won't be for long.
unless things change dramatically....
but the games are a great idea...

"FYI, if you're not in Orlando by sunday noon, you're not gonna make it in until wed or Thursday so get insurance, change flights, if you get stuck down there you get stuck, they will take care of you, I promise so relax get your ducks in a row and enjoy your extra vacation day or two, if you can't get back you can't get back folks, it's an act of god..... of Dog.. whatever."

wow..that's a pretty specific time and bold statement. I firmly believe in the power of prayer and will continue to pray that God's hand moves the storm!:thumbsup2

if you are in Orlando your going to get some of this storm... look at the size of the storm on sat pics... now use your fingers, to measure or a pen or something and move that thing up the coast, it is like from ny to atlanta.... ROFL.. also, if you wait that long there wont be anything left... I'd plan on having food for 12 -24 hours. pick fun stuff, esp if you have a freezer, or a little fridge, I doubt you loose electric with this , and if you do it won't be for long.
unless things change dramatically....
but the games are a great idea...

Sorry but I don't agree with you at all. I will continue to watch and make my own assessment as to what my family needs. We will be at Disney and we will be fine. Like I said, I will go to the food court at our resort and get what my family needs. We will be dodging rain I'm sure. Are you a weather person? Are you even qualified to be making these bold statements on here telling people what they should and shouldn't do? Stop trying to scare people who are already on edge as it is. Unless you are some kind of weather professional/expert, back off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter