Hurricane Watchers--Post Here!

marmalade said:
Yes, it will pass right over us while we are there next week. :lmao:

Why is that funny? Not only is it not funny but untrue! Get the facts straight before u r "lyao"

Where is Monroe County schools??

Florida Keys.

it is Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach going up the east coast of Florida.

Florida Keys are a group of island like land that descending southwest from the bottom of Miami-Dade and are not really visual on the radar screen unless it is zoomed in. So when you like at the end of the state it really isn't the actual end.

I'm not sure what to do! We leave tomorrow and it looks like we will be in the clear until, maybe, Tuesday morning? We are supposed to fly home Wednesday afternoon. I am now considering changing our flight to late Monday afternoon just to be safe. I really don't want to sit in our hotel room all day Tuesday with a torrential downpour. We were already there in June during TS Debbie and we got through, but I'm not too keen on doing it again.

BUT! I'm thinking - what if nothing significant happens? Then I have cut short our trip. OR - what if something significant happens and we get stuck down there!

I feel like my options right now are to re-schedule the flight for Monday afternoon or buy some trip insurance. WWYD?!!
Doubt you can buy trip insurance for a tip to Florida at this point.

Yes, it will pass right over us while we are there next week. :lmao:
Yep looking at the tracking it just might pass right over you. Good luck and keep safe. Looks better and better for us depending on when it turns to the north.

The current forecast from the National Hurricane Center has actually shifted west from where it was even earlier today. There is a chance the storm could miss Central Florida, especially the worst of it (too early to guess on flights). Maybe not as good of news for the panhandle and Alabama though.

Not to be a downer, but it could be bad in Haiti (not that they have not had enough problems). Because of the topography and deforestation, Haiti is really prone to flooding.

Hoping for the best for everyone who could be affected.

Why is that funny? Not only is it not funny but untrue! Get the facts straight before u r "lyao"

because if I get his reference right about his location he lives in the Panhandle and will be in Disney. Panhandle is more likely to get a direct hit than Orlando.

Kind of like me and my family being at Disney when Hurricane Andrew hit our home in So Miami-Dade County 20 years ago. Not happy about the house but very glad that we were not there to ride out that storm

Explaining the humor here.

A PP poster said they were hoping the storm would pass...meaning not hit FL on their vacation. Marmalade's joke was that yes...it would pass...right overhead while she is on her vacation.

No one is saying a hurricane is laughs and giggles...just cracking a joke.

ginadv said:
My girls and I are coming down tomorrow morning, but DH was scheduled on an early morning flight out of NYC on Monday. I called our airline and was able to rebook him for Sunday without the penalty fee. They did charge us the change in fare ($81), but initially they had said they were going to waive that, too. But the penalty would've been $150, so that was generous of them. I think that they'd probably like to help out as many folks as possible prior to any flights actually being canceled when they have hundreds of folks to rebook. Now, our situation was fortunate because it was only one person we had to rebook--our family of 5 would have been far more costly. Nevertheless, it never hurts to ask as you never know what you might get!

Safe travels and a wonderful, albeit likely damp, Disney trip to everyone! :goodvibes

Which airline??? That was so nice of them!

Explaining the humor here.

A PP poster said they were hoping the storm would pass...meaning not hit FL on their vacation. Marmalade's joke was that yes...it would pass...right overhead while she is on her vacation.

No one is saying a hurricane is laughs and giggles...just cracking a joke.

::yes:: That is exactly how my post came about.

Keep in mind that even if the storm does not hit orlando head on, you will still more than likely have the outer wind and rain bands. That was what we experienced in June during tropical storm debby. It was for the first three days of our trip and it really wasnt that bad. We had ponchos and the parks were pretty empty (No Lines). We live in the north and it amazed me that nothing shut down during this (Pools were open, outdoor rides, etc) Everyone seemed to be having a grand time and by the end of the week when temps were back up into the high 90's we were wishing for the rain again!!!!

Do you have something you 100% need to be back for on Wednesday at home? If not, I would not change my flights, if I were you. I would wait and see what happens. I would be kicking myself if I cut my vacation short due when I didn't end up needing to.

I don't have to be home Wednesday, but my DS4 starts kindergarten on Sept. 5 and I just wanted to get home and get settled before he makes such a big transition.

I haven't changed my flights yet! Figured I will keep watching it and will see how it goes.

To the PP who asked about insurance - yup! Went on insuremytrip.com and could buy a policy right now if I wanted one!

I like what he said, so I'll take it! :thumbsup2

Me too! We're flying out from Buffalo on the 27th at 6 a.m., hoping for the best!!!!:thumbsup2

al6yi5tj6l64d818.png

I just watched local Orlando weather forecast. He said that, given the current track, Orlando will feel 30-40 mph winds and bands of intense rain with a threat of tornadoes on Monday into Tuesday.

Even though the center of the storm will pass well to the west of Tampa, the storm is over 600 miles in diameter. Orlando will be soggy for a couple of days.

I just watched local Orlando weather forecast. He said that, given the current track, Orlando will feel 30-40 mph winds and bands of intense rain with a threat of tornadoes on Monday into Tuesday.

Even though the center of the storm will pass well to the west of Tampa, the storm is over 600 miles in diameter. Orlando will be soggy for a couple of days.

Where do you get the 600 mi. diameter? The National Hurricane Center (which is the official watch) says from the last update that ts winds extend out 185mi. mainly to the NE which is usually the worst side.

So, even though it isn't too large as some are (and I've been in being a so. LA gal) the east side is the strongest, and FL is not that wide. Not being a debbie downer, but any hurricane (which this one will probably be soon) is one to respect, because they are far from totally predictable (especially 5 days out). I've seen too many variables.

Will hope for the best for all y'all that are to be at Disney next week, pixiedust: but not for it to turn toward LA :eek:

hippieck12 said:
Me too! We're flying out from Buffalo on the 27th at 6 a.m., hoping for the best!!!!:thumbsup2

I'm flying out of Buffalo on the 28th at 6am...I'm so scared my flight will be cancelled...ugh please Isaac be kind and go somewhere else.

Where do you get the 600 mi. diameter? The National Hurricane Center (which is the official watch) says from the last update that ts winds extend out 185mi. mainly to the NE which is usually the worst side.

So, even though it isn't too large as some are (and I've been in being a so. LA gal) the east side is the strongest, and FL is not that wide. Not being a debbie downer, but any hurricane (which this one will probably be soon) is one to respect, because they are far from totally predictable (especially 5 days out). I've seen too many variables.

Will hope for the best for all y'all that are to be at Disney next week, pixiedust: but not for it to turn toward LA :eek:

The storm, according to the weather channel, is 600 miles in diameter if you count the outer rain bands. I was just reporting what the Orlando weather stations are saying that we should expect. They said the worst for Orlando will be from early Monday morning through Tuesday. Believe me, I'll be very happy if the storm veers further west and Florida feels no effects what so ever. I've been through multiple hurricanes and tropical storms since moving to Florida. I have the greatest respect for their unpredictable nature and their power.

The storm, according to the weather channel, is 600 miles in diameter if you count the outer rain bands. I was just reporting what the Orlando weather stations are saying that we should expect. They said the worst for Orlando will be from early Monday morning through Tuesday. Believe me, I'll be very happy if the storm veers further west and Florida feels no effects what so ever. I've been through multiple hurricanes and tropical storms since moving to Florida. I have the greatest respect for their unpredictable nature and their power.

You are right on the size, and every thing else you said. it seems to me some people would like to only hear the happy news of the storm... which is, we don't know yet. it's not an exact science. the NAt Hurricaine center, all the weather nit wits on the Tv weatherentertainment channel, whatever... Issac is not making things easy, and very few of these storms are predicable, few are this nuts however... the storm is huge! that 600 miles is just the main body, the feeder bands will go out,, listen, do this . go to one of the sits with a map, and use your pen or fingers and get a good measure of the storm, now, keep that measuement and move it up onto the mainland... it covers from like boston to Jacksonville... it's a big guy...
the planes that went in to night will feed the new and better info into the computers and the give the models more accurate info to work with, 5am advisory should reflect that if you go to a weather underground, or maybe foxnews... I think weather channel's JIm Cantorre is getting better at going his own way and they are letting him more and more... but don't bet on that. Its a good place to get the general FYI...
keep checking your airlines , they will start changing flights into Orlando soon I'd think. maybe Friday early.

Ha!!!! I agree. We don't want it near Texas either ;)

That's what I was thinking!:rotfl: We're down there Sept 1st-8th. I was a little concerned about it still hanging around for the beginning of out trip and how it might affect us flying into Orlando. Now I have to be concerned about flying out of Texas?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter