• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Watchers--Post Here!

After a lot of deliberation, we changed our flight to come in on Sunday first fligght out in the morning. Didn't have enough points, had to "buy" Disney points to fill in for DVC and have to switch hotels--first night at Boardwalk, rest of the trip at BLT. We got the last 3 seats! changed my scooter reservation, groceries, magical express and Owner's Locker. I hope that's it!

Very smart of you to do that. You should be fine. Right now, it's storming here in Miami which is probably the beginnings of the storm. We are leaving tomorrow morning due to the location of our home in Miami. Sucks to pack up and leave your home due to a storm.

Very smart of you to do that. You should be fine. Right now, it's storming here in Miami which is probably the beginnings of the storm. We are leaving tomorrow morning due to the location of our home in Miami. Sucks to pack up and leave your home due to a storm.

Hope your house and you stay safe--more important by far than a vacation. Take care.

the locals will really be downplaying because of the RNC, but they can't do that too much longer. remember, Fl, ( because of Andrew), has the strictest building codes in the country and Disney has made sure their hotels are able to stand a cat 3 and do very well in a cat 4. Disney is safe, and folks that evac will be coming to a hotel near you... when you land get to a store and stock up to avoid the traffic and lines, ( locals are already stocked the stores all got hit hard today in SW fl. and Tampa I hear).

Ummm..Disney was built way before Dade county building codes were implemented. Also, orange/Osceola counties do not require Dade county building codes which is the strongest building code in the nation. If a cat 2 hurricane went through Disney, I bet most of those roofs and windows would be destroyed.

I love your name! have you thought about changing flight for an earlier time? you could fly in sat and be ok I bet??? a bus... I applaude your tenacity! my kid would be missing school, LOL. they don't learn much that first week anyway... right??? but you go girl! :worship:

Im just so anxious to start my vacation . I simply can not wait a single day longer to be honest :yay: . We haven't been to Disney in over a year . It's been torture just waiting this long. I planned out a perfect trip. I have adr's I absolutely REFUSE to miss. No matter how bad it gets out there... Ohana will be open! I cant wait to sink my teeth in those sticky wings and bread pudding!They'll have to grease my sides with butter and roll me outta there :lmao:

In any other circumstance I would let the kids miss school but they both start new schools this year and my baby is going into kindegarten . I want to be at Disney for all days of my vacation and still be home in time for them to start school the next day .

What my brother doesnt understand is he's waiting for the airport to open..but reguardless even if it's open we'd be on standby with hoards of other people. The people who originally booked thier flights will be on their flights to Orlando and we may not get seats for days after the fact. It's a toss up! I'd rather get a refund and get on a bus rather than sitting in an airport hoping and praying ..or sitting at home hoping and praying.

I hate to say it but if it's really bad the resturants won't be open and there won't be any transportation between the parks or hotels. Not expecting that but anything is possible, I guess. Bring snacks!

Leaving Sunday morning - staying until Friday night. Have ponchos, will travel.

I'm flying out of Buffalo on the 28th at 6am...I'm so scared my flight will be cancelled...ugh please Isaac be kind and go somewhere else.

Amen!

al6yi5tjpkd13khp.png

We are leaving Thursday, August 30 at midnight. I live on the coast of Alabama & it's supposed to hit here on Wednesday I believe. Hoping everything is good by the time we leave.

I know some of this is repetitive but I have compiled all the information and put it into this post. Hopefully, this helps those with questions.

http://www.disneyparksplanning.com/tropicalstormisaac.htm

Note that this is the worst case scenario. The parks may not even close but I think they will. I know a lot of "hurricane vets" have been saying it will be minimal but I wouldn't want to be strolling down Main Street USA with at least 40 MPH winds.

Please remember to take this very seriously. Although WDW isn't in the forecast cone, you'll experience some of the storm.

Also, I didin't mention this but flights into Orlando will be cancelled on parts of Monday and Tuesday. Check with your airline and Disney NOW to see what you can do! If possible, I would recommend rescheduling your trip if its short (5 days or less). It won't be horrible at all but it definitely won't be fun.

Despite these weather conditions, I hope everyone enjoys their trips and, most importantly, stay safe.

Since Disney World opened in 1971, the theme park has only closed twice due to hurricanes. Once in 1999 for Hurricane Floyd and once in 2004 for Hurricane Charley.

So when you write, "With a storm like this, they will shut down ALL activities and attempt to keep guests in their rooms," you are expecting that Isaac will become a category 4 hurricane...because that's what Floyd was when in brushed the Eastern Coast of Florida in 99 and that's what Charley was in 2004 when it hit SW Florida and eventually went directly over Orlando.

Of course, as of right now (Friday at 10:32PM EST), Isaac is a tropical storm 48 hours from landfall in Florida.

I'm certainly no meteorologist, but this has got to be the biggest exaggeration that I have seen either here on the Disboards or on any weather news source - from Orlando's local channels to the Weather Channel to the NWS. pirate:

Keeping my fingers crossed that my noon flight on Monday (out of Newark) will get me to Orlando on time!

Since Disney World opened in 1971, the theme park has only closed twice due to hurricanes. Once in 1999 for Hurricane Floyd and once in 2004 for Hurricane Charley.

So when you write, "With a storm like this, they will shut down ALL activities and attempt to keep guests in their rooms," you are expecting that Isaac will become a category 4 hurricane...because that's what Floyd was when in brushed the Eastern Coast of Florida in 99 and that's what Charley was in 2004 when it hit SW Florida and eventually went directly over Orlando.

Of course, as of right now (Friday at 10:32PM EST), Isaac is a tropical storm 48 hours from landfall in Florida.

I'm certainly no meteorologist, but this has got to be the biggest exaggeration that I have seen either here on the Disboards or on any weather news source - from Orlando's local channels to the Weather Channel to the NWS. pirate:

I misworded that and clearly stated in my post that anything can happen, as no one knows if it will be Cat 1 or TS when passing next to Orlando, which is not a common location for hurricanes. I hate to be so blunt but I am somewhat offended (and maybe I'm inferring this wrong) that you suggest I am trying to alarm people by exaggerating. Even meteorologists are saying that no one knows. If the hurricane takes a more Eastern track, it would become even closer to WDW, but if it moves to the west, it would have little effect on WDW. I am simply trying to suggest that plans may have to change with a storm like this (where it's unpredictable). The word will was misleading, as I meant "may" but I have several other worries about this storm on my mind.

F.Y.I. Disney will NOT keep a park open during any sort of hurricane (not tropical storm)

I'm sitting here debating on if I should evac from my area. I am on the West Coast of FL, Lee County (Cape Coral to be exact). I am going to wait and see how it is on Sunday. With 7 dogs, I won't be going to a Disney hotel. :sad2: Those days are long gone for me. I will be heading up to the Palm Coast area. I have a house up there too. I will have to stay there if I leave here. paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:

stay safe.....:drive:

WDW also closed for Hurricane Jeanne in 2004. I believe that hit as a Category 2. We were at Pop Century for that one. We were supposed to fly out that day but the airports closed early and we had to stay an extra 2 days. The parks closed down early that night and then everything was shut down for the following day. Parks reopened on Monday except for AK which needed more time for cleanup.

I'm sitting here debating on if I should evac from my area. I am on the West Coast of FL, Lee County (Cape Coral to be exact). I am going to wait and see how it is on Sunday. With 7 dogs, I won't be going to a Disney hotel. :sad2: Those days are long gone for me. I will be heading up to the Palm Coast area. I have a house up there too. I will have to stay there if I leave here. paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:

stay safe.....:drive:

I wish you the best and toss back the "stay safe" to you. I know for us in WPB, we won't be getting as much, but having gone through hurricanes and tropical storms, I wouldn't want to be walking in a theme park during one.

Looks like it's tracking a little West. It might end up another New Orleans hurricane. I made inland reservations for DH and DS and my nieces and nephew in case they have to evacuate. The inland pet hotels in Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi filled up fast, within a number of hours this evening.

I misworded that and clearly stated in my post that anything can happen, as no one knows if it will be Cat 1 or TS when passing next to Orlando, which is not a common location for hurricanes. I hate to be so blunt but I am somewhat offended (and maybe I'm inferring this wrong) that you suggest I am trying to alarm people by exaggerating. Even meteorologists are saying that no one knows. If the hurricane takes a more Eastern track, it would become even closer to WDW, but if it moves to the west, it would have little effect on WDW. I am simply trying to suggest that plans may have to change with a storm like this (where it's unpredictable). The word will was misleading, as I meant "may" but I have several other worries about this storm on my mind.

F.Y.I. Disney will NOT keep a park open during any sort of hurricane (not tropical storm)

Just to your last point, though... if Isaac hits FL as a Cat 1, it will be downgraded to a TS by the time it reaches WDW. So it would have to be a cat 2+ with direct path to Orlando (prob from Atlantic side) or cat 3+ for it to still be a hurricane when it reaches Disney (like Floyd and Charley were).

Misworded or not, you basically predicted that a cat 2+ hurricane was going to pass over Orlando - this from a Tropical Storm that has yet to become a hurricane. Worst case scenario, right? Well, worst case scenario would be a cat 5 hurricane, plus an earthquake with a Tsunami, followed by a lightning-induced wildfire. These things "could" happen as well.

I'm anticipating bands of rain/wind Sunday night, TS conditions on Monday, and rain bands on Tuesday. I fully plan on doing the parks Sunday and Tuesday, with Monday as an optional day. Heck, if I can get to EPCOT, I'm going to hunker down in La Cava del Tequila until I forget there is a tropical storm outside! :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter