Hurricanes

Disneychick75

DIS Veteran
Hi y'all! Thinking about booking the campground for a mid September trip with our 4 and 7 year old grandsons. How does Disney handle hurricanes at the Ft? Also, we're staying for 5 nights. Say a hurricane comes and planes are not flying on the day we're supposed to leave. Will we be on our own or will Disney help us? Thank-you

I have been down 5 days after Irma in 2018 and a week after Dorian caused a brief Fort evacuation last year.

In short, if winds are expected be above a certain speed, the Fort will be evacuated to other resorts. Downed trees are the biggest risk. RVs are expected to move to paved lots near the resort you are evacuated to.

Irma was a Cat 3 storm that rolled directly over WDW. The Fort sustained significant tree damage and was closed for a number of days. We arrived with trailer in tow when it was still closed. We were put up at Old Key West. I dropped the trailer at PO-Riverside since they had lots large enough. PAHunter was also there and was accommodated at another resort until the Fort reopened.

j

My son and new wife were in the DR for their honeymoon. An approaching hurricane shut down all flights, took him an extra week to get back home.
You never know.

Airlines always move airplanes ahead of a hurricane. They hate to shut down, but they will cancel flights and redirect aircraft to safer spaces. WDW would not throw you out on the street.
Remember if you can not get out, someone else can not fly in, there would be cancellations.

We were at AKL during Irma and there was a travel trailer bundled up in the parking lot. It was pretty crazy and exciting. Parks closed early the day it was coming and the day after. It didn't pass overhead until about 1 am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter