• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

husband has blood clots in both lungs

lexib

Earning My Ears
my husband thought he was having a gallbladder attack so we drove for an hour to get to the ER last saturday nite we have been in the hospital for 8 days. The ER doc suspected blood clots and was right, it has very scary this whole ordeal. They have stabilized him where he is in not much pain now. Upon doing tests they think that he has a rare genetic clotting disorder (anti thromblin 3 deficiency). They are trying to give him coumadin to bring up his INR level so he can go home, first 3 days 5 mg coumadin INR level 1.1, 4th day 7.5 mg coumadin still INR level 1.1, 5th day 10mg coumadin INR level went up to 1.3, 6th day 15 mg coumadin INR level only at 1.5. They want to get his INR level between 2.5 qnd 3.0 I am concerned about the amount of coumadin given to him and the levels not going up. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar expierence. We are so lucky that we made it to the ER in time.

I am very glad to read they have him stabilized.

My father and sister both have this genetic factor. A few years back (at this exact time) my father was rushed in for this exact thing. Clots in both lungs, and in his legs. I am not honestly sure on the levels, but it took a week to 10 days to regulate his coumadin, which he is now on for life, as is my sister. He has been great since then, but that was his 3rd time. He is extremely active, golfs, walks, etc.

Thankfully, as you mentioned, you were at the ER in time. It is a scary thing, and very genetic. I have been through the ringer of tests, only to be negative. I am thankful for that.

I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.:grouphug:

I had clots in my legs and my lungs.

I had a very hard time keeping my INR within "safe" levels. At times I was on 20 mg. of Coumadin everyday. At the most horrible point I had blood testing 3-4 times a week. Some people are just very resistant for no known reason.
Have they ever considered Lovenox? Sometimes that does work best.
They found I had low protein "S". I was on Coumadin for 3+ years & now just take an aspirin daily & flights over 6 hours I take Lovenox injections the day before & after my flight.

Best of Luck to Both of You~

I hope they have been able to keep him stablilized and out of the woods, so scary. hugs.

Everything is starting to straighten out, this was the second week his INR level seems to have stabilized. He is feelling fine and working. We are planning on going to WDW 2/14-2/23 a much needed trip after our big scare.

Thank You for the nice posts, this board is wonderful!!

Everything is starting to straighten out, this was the second week his INR level seems to have stabilized. He is feelling fine and working. We are planning on going to WDW 2/14-2/23 a much needed trip after our big scare.

Thank You for the nice posts, this board is wonderful!!

So glad you updated us. Thank you. And so glad things are working out well.
I hope your vacation is extra Magical.

I agree, I hold this board right next to my heart.:grouphug:

I am glad that things are working out for your husband, it must have been a horrible scare for you all.:hug:

Best wishes for the future trip, I am sure you could all do with a little Disney magic:wizard:

Hugs
Quasar

Checking in to see if you posted an update on your husband.

So happy things have turned around for both of you!!!!!!!:goodvibes

lexib this is a scary experience just went through same thing clots in both lungs. I couldn't breath for over a week and a half got so bad on 2/03/11 went to ER admitted immediately. Presently just on Coumadin at one point Lovenax shots and coumadin. So frustrating at times because INR level keeps going back down to 1.
But I hope your husband is still doing good and will keep you/husband in my prayers!

I hope you are o.k, this whole blood clot in lungs is a very scary expierence. My husband is on 5mg of coumadin and some days 10mg coumadin, his inr level has been below the 2-3 range a few times he gets the test every week now. It seems you have to be so careful as to what you eat, the last test was 1.69 so a little low. Do you know why you had the blood clots? We still don't know what caused my husband's clots such a mystery...

Hi All,
I wish I had mentioned earlier about diet.
I had to take all greens out of my diet...no salads, broccoli, etc.

I know even when I have a cramp in my leg or I'm a bit out of breath it's the first thing you think of~

Blood clots are so frightening, your all in my prayers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter