• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I-75

momto2sweeties

Earning My Ears
We are leaving from MI on May 11. We are heading down I-75 for the vast majority of the way. I was wondering if anyone knew of any construction along the way? Also, we will be traveling on a Friday so I am not sure what the traffic will be like. Mapquest says it's going to take us about 20-21 hours to get there, but I am not sure if there are other things like const. or traffic to think about. We can leave anywhere from 8am-8pm and I am not sure the best time to leave. Thanks for any suggestions!

Since it's Friday, rush hour will be a pain. Your major cities are Detroit, Cincinnati, Knoxville and Atlanta. I-75 goes through the heart of those cities.

No major construction on I-75 going through Cincinnati...actually from Cincinnati to the Kentucky-Tennessee border. However, I know that there was a landslide in the Tennessee mountains that shut down several lanes of I-75. I don't know if that's been cleared out yet.

If you end up going through Cincinnati during rush hour, there are electronic signs that warn you of problems. You can also avoid Cincinnati entirely by taking our bypass, I-275. You pick it up about 15 miles north of downtown, and you connect back to I-75 about seven miles south of downtown in Northern Kentucky. Keep in mind, it's very long bypass. If you go eastbound on I-275, it's about 40 miles; if you go westbound, it's about 43 miles. It's the longest continuous loop interstate in the US. And I know there is construction if you go eastbound.

Since it's Friday, rush hour will be a pain. Your major cities are Detroit, Cincinnati, Knoxville and Atlanta. I-75 goes through the heart of those cities.

No major construction on I-75 going through Cincinnati...actually from Cincinnati to the Kentucky-Tennessee border. However, I know that there was a landslide in the Tennessee mountains that shut down several lanes of I-75. I don't know if that's been cleared out yet.

If you end up going through Cincinnati during rush hour, there are electronic signs that warn you of problems. You can also avoid Cincinnati entirely by taking our bypass, I-275. You pick it up about 15 miles north of downtown, and you connect back to I-75 about seven miles south of downtown in Northern Kentucky. Keep in mind, it's very long bypass. If you go eastbound on I-275, it's about 40 miles; if you go westbound, it's about 43 miles. It's the longest continuous loop interstate in the US. And I know there is construction if you go eastbound.

thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it!

I would avoid Cincinnati rush hour at all costs on a Friday also.

There is no construction anywhere on I75 in KY.
The landslide in TN is around mm 144 and will not be clear until August.
There is 1 lane southbound open-it has ranged from all clear to backups of many miles. Make sure that you have a full tank of gas and have eaten/used the restroom around Corbin or Williamsburg, KY, or Jellico, TN.

There is also construction about 20 miles north of DT Atlanta.

Not sure where in Michigan you are leaving from but we start out on 23 to Toledo area to connect 75. Leaving about 8am should get you through Ohio with out any rush hour issues. Atlanta will be better if you drive the HOV lane and avoid the bypass. A fun book to purchase is Along I75 by Dave Hunter. It shows you all restaurants,hotels and gas stations at exits along 75. Also many fun points of interests.

Check with AAA for construction if your not members try their website or see if you know someone who is a member to get a trip tik or something my husband who is familiar with 75 route and grew up in Ohio and GA says to leave around 8pm to dodge Cincinnati and watch out for 75 through GA its a living hell.... My husband goes around GA whenever possible.... Good luck and have fun :thumbsup2

Subscribing...We are also leaving from MI on 75 on the 11th!

You will run into some construction in Dayton. It shouldn't slow you down too much, though. Also, if you need any last minute things for your trip (or need to take a break and stretch your legs for a bit), there is a FANTASTIC Disney Outlet right off the highway at exit 29 (between Dayton and Cincy).

Have a safe and fun trip!:thumbsup2

We just drove threw dayton and Cinnci this past weekend. Either one has problems as any given time. FYI as of last weekend they were doing night closures for painting and construction making it only 1 lane. A 4 hour drive took almost 7!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter