I already made dining reservations but now we will have a baby with us...

DisneyFansInLINY

DIS Veteran
We will have a new addition with us on our upcoming summer trip. My nephew was born very premature in February and will be getting out of the nicu any day now. And we have been blessed to be his foster parents.

The only problem is that we had our trip booked prior to finding out our amazing news. And we already made our ADR's. So now I am having trouble adding a fifth person to my reservations due to unavailability.

My question is will I have a problem if I just leave my ADR's as a party of 4? My nephew won't be in a high chair and will not be eating solid foods yet. In August he will still be small; about the size of a two month old full term baby. So I will most likely be holding him and he won't be in a stroller unless he is asleep. Chances are I won't be sitting much in the restaurant anyway if he is fussy.

Also, I know that preemies are very fragile and so we are only going on the trip if his pediatrician gives the okay for him to travel. We would never jeopardize his health for a vacation. If he is not allowed to go, then my husband will be going with our other two children and I will stay home with my nephew.

They will likely decline to seat you as the reservations has to be for everyone in the party including babies. Keep checking and you may be able to change your ADRs to something that works for all of you. You can also try to book a party of one and hope you can be seated close together.

We have added a person a couple different times in the past while at the check-in desk of different dining location. They have always been more than accommodating anytime we have had to change party size by adding or subtracting. Good luck and congratulations!!

This happened to us last year (same situation- nephew came to us through foster care, although he was a bit older at age 2). We went from 3 to 4, so it was easier because most tables seat 4 anyway. I didn't have much luck online, but when I called I was able to switch most reservations. So I would give them a call and try that route. The other couple reservations I just had to keep checking for...I ended up switching some things around but everything worked fine in the end and we had a great trip.

Good luck to your nephew. My dd was a preemie (29 weeks). We were instructed by our hospital not to take her into public until she was 6 months old.

I would check with the babies doctor. Premature children have compromised immune systems. Not sure Disney is a safe place for him.

He will be 6 or 7 months when you travel he should be fine also you will not be turned away at a restaurant you may have to wait a couple of minutes but it's no big deal. I can't tell you how many people completely forgot to make reservations including a baby. Thank you for carrying for this baby. I wish you and your family the best.

He will be 6 or 7 months when you travel he should be fine also you will not be turned away at a restaurant you may have to wait a couple of minutes but it's no big deal. I can't tell you how many people completely forgot to make reservations including a baby. Thank you for carrying for this baby. I wish you and your family the best.

He's getting out of the ICU in June and you think a few months later he should be at WDW? When you say "he should be fine", are you in the medical field? Premies have different immune systems then full term babies (RSV?). OP-hope everything goes well with your new baby, just check with the babies pediatrician before traveling.

He's getting out of the ICU in June and you think a few months later he should be at WDW? When you say "he should be fine", are you in the medical field? Premies have different immune systems then full term babies (RSV?). OP-hope everything goes well with your new baby, just check with the babies pediatrician before traveling.

Let's not forget the Zika advisories for Disney World, as well. I'm not sure what kind of effect it would have on an already born baby, but one with the issues this one is just stepping out of the woods from, I'd definitely err on the side of caution and not bring the baby to Disney. That's just my opinion.

I am not going to weigh in on the age of the baby other than to say you really should check with the DR sooner rather than later. My sister is a respiratory therapist in the PICU and NICU in our children's hospital and she has told me that at this stage of growth the baby is developing according to when he would be born, if that makes sense. So the baby's lungs will be developed to the stage he would be if he was full term at that time.

As to getting admitted to restaurants, I wish people would stop telling others they "should" be fine. There is no way to know this because as much as a CM will do what they can, they will not allow an extra person in. Not matter age or size, if there is no room. So much depends on where the ADR is, the time, and how many people are on the books to dine at that time. Know before you go that there is a solid chance that your extra will not be allowed in, and if that is the case, you will be faced with a decision. Do you let someone walk away, or do you eat the no show fee and you all walk away?

Good luck to your nephew. My dd was a preemie (29 weeks). We were instructed by our hospital not to take her into public until she was 6 months old.

Very similar. The last thing I want our new addition as a premie is Disney. I'm thinking adrs are your least worry here but really none of my business.

Also, I know that preemies are very fragile and so we are only going on the trip if his pediatrician gives the okay for him to travel. We would never jeopardize his health for a vacation. If he is not allowed to go, then my husband will be going with our other two children and I will stay home with my nephew.

I'm just quoting this here because I think several people in this thread failed to read it in your original post. I don't have any experience with adding people to ADR's, but I am praying that all goes well with your sweet nephew and that you have a wonderful vacation!

I would call Disney and explain the situation. CMs can do some "magic" when it comes to special circumstances like yours. No matter where he is seated or if he is being held or in a carrier the problem is fire code. 1 baby still equals 1 person for fire code. So even if they don't eat and don't take up a seat in a busy time such as August there is the potential to be told no. I would rather handle it now then to deal with the stress at WDW. I couldn't imagine juggling 2 bigger kids and the premie and finding a place last minute if you are turned away.

I'm just quoting this here because I think several people in this thread failed to read it in your original post. I don't have any experience with adding people to ADR's, but I am praying that all goes well with your sweet nephew and that you have a wonderful vacation!
Just an FYI, OP edited her post after most of the replies to add this statement.

Just an FYI, OP edited her post after most of the replies to add this statement.

I think that's incorrect, I read it as part of her original post. And the OP doesn't show as being edited...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter