I am always amazed at how people act when they return items to a store.

Sgt Mickey

<font color=red>I will always remember where I was
SO do you on the DIs go a little crazy when returning items? Tell me about a time you tried or actually returned something at a store and maybe acted a way that maybe wasn't so nice?

NO JUDGEMENTS :duck:

I am looking for a way to laugh at it all. :P

SO go ahead and amuse me please. :joker:

I rarely return things.

But while working at a retailer I had someone try to return a tent and a sleeping bag they had used for 2 years because it no longer fit for her son (she had no receipt and it wasn't even a brand we carried) . When I told her we couldn't accept it, she said I was ruining her son's graduation and she then threw the tent at me and stormed out.

When my DH worked at Wal-mart, someone returned a half-eaten giant block of cheese (not like they took a taste and it was spoiled, literally half-eaten), and Wal-mart accepted it. The person didn't even have to act rude.

I rarely return things.

But while working at a retailer I had someone try to return a tent and a sleeping bag they had used for 2 years because it no longer fit for her son (she had no receipt and it wasn't even a brand we carried) . When I told her we couldn't accept it, she said I was ruining her son's graduation and she then threw the tent at me and stormed out.
:laughing: How dare you.

When I worked at Target in college, I wouldn't accept someone's unsigned credit card as payment because it was unsigned and he didn't have ID. He came back by the register and called me a slut.

:laughing: How dare you.

I tried to explain that she may have better luck at the retailer she bought it at (They had a very lax return policy then) but she swore up and down she bought it from us. When I pointed out that we couldn't sell another company's brand, she said she had always been able to return it before. She ended up sending her son (who was possibly 8?) back in the store to get the tent she threw. We had a manager walk him out with it as it was a pretty good size tent and he wouldn't have been able to carry it alone. It was such a strange situation.

When I worked at Target in college, I wouldn't accept someone's unsigned credit card as payment because it was unsigned and he didn't have ID. He came back by the register and called me a slut.
This is the perfect example of the people are animals comment.

I tried to explain that she may have better luck at the retailer she bought it at (They had a very lax return policy then) but she swore up and down she bought it from us. When I pointed out that we couldn't sell another company's brand, she said she had always been able to return it before. She ended up sending her son (who was possibly 8?) back in the store to get the tent she threw. We had a manager walk him out with it as it was a pretty good size tent and he wouldn't have been able to carry it alone. It was such a strange situation.
Nothing is strange to me anymore :rotfl:

I actually just returned an opened bag of Raisonettes ( is that how you spell it?) on Sat morning. I bought them fri night and my husband got ahold of them before me and after eating maybe two or three of them he told me they tasted horrible. I looked at the bag and the candy had expired back in Feb. Now if my husband thought they tasted bad they must have been. I knew I was going to the store the next day so I didn't feel bad about returning a $3 item. They were very apologetic and even said I could have another bag in addition to my refund. I thanked them but just took the $3 back. I always try to be nice when returning something.

I've always been pleasant about returns and received the same courtesy in return. I don't return items too often, and if I do, it's generally because the product doesn't fit (ex: I buy something for my daughter) or is broken out of the box. :-)

I rarely return items "just because" I changed my mind.

Only one time in my life I did loose it was with an exchange, I was maybe 20 at the time and I bought a dress from a store called JByrons it was like in 1984.
It was for a Christmas Party at work. It was beige and I decided I wanted to get a red or green dress instead. This witch behind the counter said no you have worn this dress already and want to return it now. I was floored, I had never even heard of people doing that before this witch said it. I told her I had not worn it yet, the tags were still on it. She was so rude to me telling me there were deodorant stains on it (not true) I think she thought because I was young she could treat me so poorly. I stood there taking it for a few minutes and then finally went back at her. The lady behind me was like "you need to ask to speak to a manager cause this one is too much".

The best part of it was I just wanted and exchange before she went bat **** crazy on me.
The manger gave me a refund ( I had receipt) and I left and never went back there again. I loved that store too.

I used to work customer service at a movie theater. We had a big problem with people finding abandoned movie tickets on the floor, thinking they are smart, and then trying to get a "refund" for it on their credit card. For that reason (and among others) we only would refund tickets onto the card that was originally used to purchase it. If a ticket was bought with credit card "XYZ" then we would need to see credit card "XYZ" so that we can swipe it and return funds to credit card "XYZ". We do not give cash back for tickets purchased with cards. Anyyyyywho, as you can imagine, it caused a lot of uproars. Dishonest customers are always the rudest. Sorry pals, I can't allow you to steal I guess? Calling me a "useless idiot that doesn't deserve to live" isn't going to inspire me lol.

Sometimes people were so vicious and purposely hurtful that they would make me cry. Now, I look back and laugh. I truly feel sorry for those cynical, dishonest people lol.

When we bought our cookware set about 15 years ago a month before Xmas, we received an additional pan as a "free gift with purchase." We ended up not wanting the pan and never used it. We bought the set at Stern's (now out of business) and couldn't return the pan there. So after Xmas we tried Macy's. Sales associate scanned it, and said it wasn't theirs. So we tried Strawbridge & Clothier (also out of business) and they gave us about a $25 credit.

I bet! I feel bad for people employed in direct customer service. People can get really nasty! :sad2:

Get nasty right back at them. It has always worked for me. Most people like that don't expect you to do the same in return and are usually quite shocked. Me being quick witted, I can come back with some pretty smart *** comments but not cross the line when I represented someones company. I always told my boss(s) when I was in customer service, I will not take being berated by anyone for any reason at all. If they are polite, I will be in return. If they are rude, I will be as well and if they are out of line, so will I. Never had a boss disagree with me and only had one or two times I would say a customer was out of line.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad bought eggs and 2 of them were broken when he got home. He had inspected them when he put them in the cart so he figures that the cashier or bagger broke the eggs. Since he is retired, he has more time to delve into these types of injustices. He called the store and asked if he could come back and get two eggs. They said yes. When he got there, they tried to give him a half-dozen in an actual half-dozen package. He refused. He told them, no, he wasn't trying to get any free eggs, he just wanted the 2 he was owed. He came home with 2 eggs in the pocket of his basketball pants.

The only time I got upset as a customer was in Target. I bought one of the Isaac Mizrahi handbags a few years ago. I took it home, cut the tags off, unzipped it to put my stuff in, and the zipper broke.

I took it right back for an exchange (with receipt) and the manager was the rudest idiot I've even encountered. He refused to let me exchange the bag because he said the bag was used. I kindly explained to him that one would have to use a zipper to discover it was broken but all logic was lost on him. He just kept saying, no refund, no refund, over and over. I said I just wanted an exchange for a bag that wasn't broken. I explained how I didn't even get my things into it yet to use it for the first time, and he said, "Aha, so you admit you used it!" It was like talking to a tomato. I was so furious with him after five minutes of trying to have a normal conversation, I just left while he was mid-sentence. I bought it on a credit card that had protection, so they dealt with it for me.

I think my biggest letdown on the other side of the counter was when I worked at The Broadway. A guy came in and wanted outfits for his teen daughters and made me put together clothing choices for them and he wanted really high-priced items. He didn't know sizes or color preferences, or style. What do you do in that case? I picked two tops and pants and a cardigan that was popular (in two different colors) and of course, the girls exchanged them and took the money. It was a no-win situation but it made my commission numbers look really bad.

People are the worst...trust me I see it daily...the bad far outweigh the good. The good however, are the most amazing people ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter