I am always amazed at how people act when they return items to a store.

I was a customer service manager for two years at Walmart. So I've been the one who's gotten called every name in the book, had stuff thrown at me, etc etc. So I am always as kind as possible to the people behind the desk.

One time someone tried to return a grass trimmer because he claimed he didn't use it. He bought it in May, returned it in like, September. We had a 30 day policy for it. I told him we wouldn't return it because it was covered in grass. This was after he tried to exchange it for a cart full of paper towels, and then another lawn mower(the display model you're not supposed to touch). He was so mad he got right in my face, wagged his finger at me, and said "Tut tut" and walked out with the grass filled trimmer.

This is so my Dbil! Except he doesn't bother with getting mad, or saying anything. I think it's a challenging game to him.

Last edited:
Most notable was Hurricane season ('08 I think) It was when the economy was in the dumps and people were always short of money.

In the course of a month we had 3-4 named storms "headed" to our area, but would always move away before landfall.

People would come in and buy up all the bottled water, batteries, etc... they could get their hands on.
Then Return it when the storm went away.
Then buy all the bottled water & batteries.
Then return it.
Rinse and repeat.

The kicker? The water had to be thrown out! After it leaves the store we have no idea what you did with it. It's not going back on the shelf. Yes, the customer got their money back, but it was so wasteful.

It's like this at Halloween too and I hate it. People buy too much candy and return it. And we must throw it out.

No, it cannot be donated to some poor unsuspecting person either. Again, once it leaves the store we can't guarantee it's safety.

A more recent one from this week. We try to say yes to most reasonable returns. But we want to know if something is defective. We don't really care about the whole diatribe over how it didn't work for you. It's more trying to ask so we know if its saleable or not. For example if you buy a coffee maker. But you don't think it's hot enough. I know to defect it out because you used it. No one wants a used coffee maker.

So this week a toddler potty was returned. "Anything wrong with it?" No. Just found a better deal elsewhere. Based on the answer, it should have been saleable. But when she left, I felt the need to peek inside. She managed to get the cardboard casing and plastic around it pretty good.

But it was used. And not cleaned out well.

Please don't lie, people! I was going to give her the money back no matter what. But really. No one wants a potty surprise like that!

I was at Kmart once in the check out line, which was right next to the cs desk. Anyway, this guy comes up and starts yelling at the clerk for a refund for a dvd player he bought. The catch? He bought it in the parking lot the night before from some guy he didn't know who was dressed like a pickle. He claimed the guy dressed like a pickle was unable to return the dvd player since he didn't have the receipt, so he would sell it to him for like $20. Well, he got home and surprise surprise the dvd player didn't work. So he came to return it. Everyone in line was captivated by the exchange between the clerk and the customer. He kept saying, " I bought this dvd player from a guy in the parking lot dressed like a pickle." The clerk was asking for a receipt, which of course he didn't have. I went through my line and paid for my purchases, so I had to leave, but I always wondered what happened! I bet they refunded him just to get rid of him, he was causing a fuss.

They would lose far more money honoring returns without receipts.

You absolutely have the right to take your business where you want. But I don't see how your attitude that the rules don't apply to me because I shop somewhere a lot and then getting mad when the store doesn't agree and enforces the same policy for all customers as bad customer service. Not getting your way is not bad customer service. Would you rather pay more money for your item to cover all the losses they would incur by taking people's word for it? Enforcing the same policy for all customers is good customer service

I feel like I'm kind of saying the opposite of what you are hearing. I don't expect special treatment or even that I shop a lot (I don't). I simply expect customer friendly return policies, and when a company does not meet those expectations, I go elsewhere. I think we're at the point technologically where businesses know so much about our spending and return habits that they could develop new policies that don't penalize the normal consumer who just wants to do business without being stuck with a product that they don't need. Seriously, I just got an email from Walmart saying they miss me - they know so much about my shopping habits that they realize I haven't shopped there in the last 2 weeks. They certainly know whether I am a habitual returner.

Same bookstore I had just opened when a guy came in grabbed the paper (.50) and handed me a $100 bill. We had a huge sign above the desk that stated we didn't take $100 bills and I explained my bank was only $100, he would wipe me out and I wouldn't be able to give other customers change. He lost it, threw the paper at me and swore he'd never be back. He came back 10mins later after getting change at the grocery store next door, lol.

I recall my father raising a fuss because some store wouldn't accept a $100 bill. He didn't go psycho on the young cashier; it was more like a stern lecture. Something like: "This is legal currency of the United States of America. Look right here. It says "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." You are obligated to accept it." I don't recall how it was resolved.

Knowing my father, it was probably late, maybe 11pm, and my brother and I were quite possibly in dirty PJs and no shoes. :lmao: And I think it WAS a store where some trashy people shopped. Anyone remember the store Two Guys? (At least he wasn't buying beer and cigarettes. You couldn't buy beer in such stores in NJ, and he only smoked Phillies Blunt cigars, well before they were used for nefarious purposes.)

I was at Kmart once in the check out line, which was right next to the cs desk. Anyway, this guy comes up and starts yelling at the clerk for a refund for a dvd player he bought. The catch? He bought it in the parking lot the night before from some guy he didn't know who was dressed like a pickle. He claimed the guy dressed like a pickle was unable to return the dvd player since he didn't have the receipt, so he would sell it to him for like $20. Well, he got home and surprise surprise the dvd player didn't work. So he came to return it. Everyone in line was captivated by the exchange between the clerk and the customer. He kept saying, " I bought this dvd player from a guy in the parking lot dressed like a pickle." The clerk was asking for a receipt, which of course he didn't have. I went through my line and paid for my purchases, so I had to leave, but I always wondered what happened! I bet they refunded him just to get rid of him, he was causing a fuss.

Everybody in line should have chipped in a buck or two to give the guy his $20 back. The pickle story he told is well worth it. :banana: (Closest thing to a pickle I could find.)

Last edited:
I worked retail for a long time. In South Florida. Land of the transient scammers. It was bad. Used underwear etc.... I worked in the mens department and one day a guy came in looking for new shorts as he had busted a zipper on the ones he was wearing. He looked to be a laborer of some sort. No problem. Found a pair and changed into them in the fitting room and came out to the register with the price tag to pay. Rang him up but wouldn't touch his dirty shorts he had up on the counter. He asked if I was going to put them in the bag. I kind of gave him a look so he called me a *****, grabbed his shorts and walked out.

I'm never rude but I got to deal with a real winner at customer service while exchanging a watch. I bought a Timex watch at Target & received a free $5 gift card. When I took the watch out of it's case, the band was missing a loop. I went right back to the store to exchange it for the exact same watch and the woman insisted I had to return the gift card. I wasn't returning the watch, I was exchanging a defective one, for the exact same thing 20 minutes after I purchased it. The woman was really nasty about it so I asked for a manager & was told she had just gone on break. I said "That's ok, I'll wait." The woman helping me rolled her eyes, shoved the new watch in a bag and literally threw it across the counter at me. I went back later and had a talk with the store manager (who I know because my son is one of their special needs employees) and asked her to review the security footage. Turns out there had been other complaints about this employee and she was gone right after that.

Only once did I ever get nasty in returning something but it concerned the health of my 3 week old baby. I phoned dh at work and asked him to pick up baby formula, the ready to drink type, for our newborn. He walked over to a nearby pharmacy after work and bought a case of six cans. Now, I have this thing of checking expiry dates on all edible items and thank god I checked that time. The formula had expired SIX MONTHS before! In shock I phoned the pharmacy and (I am embarrassed to say) let them have it. The next day dh returned the formula and found a man clearing out all the shelves containing formula/baby food.
This reminded me. My baby was getting sick off different formulas we tried after he went off of preemie formula and we had spent a fortune in doctor bills and different types of formula that ended up being wasted. I was returning 3 different types of formula with a receipt and we had bought them within the last week. The shift manager was obnoxious to me and said that he couldn't accept returns on formula because I could have gotten them with WIC and that what I was doing could be against the law. I was flabbergasted and I got pretty furious but I bit my tongue. It was none of his business if I qualified for WIC (I didn't) and I felt that he was trying to act superior & threatening to someone he that assumed (for some unknown reason) had a low income. I politely told him that there were no signs in the store or anything on the receipt saying that his store would not accept returns on formula and what he was saying made no sense because the receipt showed that I paid cash/debit card for the formula and it was obvious that I did not use WIC. I told him I was happy to exchange for something else but their store didn't carry the formula that we had settled on. He gave my money back and slammed everything around very rudely. I am glad I kept my temper but I still wish I had called and complained about how rude he was. There is no excuse for a manager acting like that. I hate to think of how he treated his employees. I still don't like to shop at that store.

I cant remember the last time I returned something, I would rather donate it, because more then likely it was my mistake for buying what ever wrong thing I bought.

This reminded me. My baby was getting sick off different formulas we tried after he went off of preemie formula and we had spent a fortune in doctor bills and different types of formula that ended up being wasted. I was returning 3 different types of formula with a receipt and we had bought them within the last week. The shift manager was obnoxious to me and said that he couldn't accept returns on formula because I could have gotten them with WIC and that what I was doing could be against the law. I was flabbergasted and I got pretty furious but I bit my tongue. It was none of his business if I qualified for WIC (I didn't) and I felt that he was trying to act superior & threatening to someone he that assumed (for some unknown reason) had a low income. I politely told him that there were no signs in the store or anything on the receipt saying that his store would not accept returns on formula and what he was saying made no sense because the receipt showed that I paid cash/debit card for the formula and it was obvious that I did not use WIC. I told him I was happy to exchange for something else but their store didn't carry the formula that we had settled on. He gave my money back and slammed everything around very rudely. I am glad I kept my temper but I still wish I had called and complained about how rude he was. There is no excuse for a manager acting like that. I hate to think of how he treated his employees. I still don't like to shop at that store.

When I was a manager, we couldn't return formula, and people got really nasty about it. There were a lot of people who would spend their food stamps or WIC on this formula, and then come back in and try to return it. Like, a lot. Close to $400 worth usually. It would be like obvious too, like, I just saw you check out, I had to come help ring out the WIC check, and now you're trying to get money for this.

When I was a manager, we couldn't return formula, and people got really nasty about it. There were a lot of people who would spend their food stamps or WIC on this formula, and then come back in and try to return it. Like, a lot. Close to $400 worth usually. It would be like obvious too, like, I just saw you check out, I had to come help ring out the WIC check, and now you're trying to get money for this.
I can totally understand that a store might not take formula back without a receipt because of this. I also understand that a grocery store probably doesn't get as many returns as a superstore. I had a receipt and he tried to tell me I was breaking the law. I was already stressed and and that guy was so rude and threatening. I guess I associate that store with those feelings even now (9.5 years later) and dislike shopping at that store.

I can totally understand that a store might not take formula back without a receipt because of this. I also understand that a grocery store probably doesn't get as many returns as a superstore. I had a receipt and he tried to tell me I was breaking the law. I was already stressed and and that guy was so rude and threatening. I guess I associate that store with those feelings even now (9.5 years later) and dislike shopping at that store.
Yeah, with a receipt, it really makes no sense. I feel like the longer you're in customer service, the more bitter and unhelpful you actually want to be.

Not exactly a return story, but one time while working at a retail store i had a lady come through the line with a whole cart full of clothes we had just put out on the sales floor. She thought she was clever by peeling off clearance stickers from other items and sticking the clearance sticker on this "fresh off the truck" merchandise. Umm, nice try. Loser.

This may be the best thing I read today.

I knew my days working retail (Target Guest Service) were numbered the day a woman THREW bath towels and mats at me across the counter, yelling at ME that they didn't match her bathroom. That was right around the time I was yelled and and berated for not accepting as a return an item with the Kmart logo and price printed right on the package.

I assure you, the customer is NOT always right.

Last edited:
Anyone ever returned anything to Costco or anywhere else with a 'forever' return policy? It's funny the things you see people returning, but I've never seen anyone upset because Costco, in pRticular, has such a lenient policy.

Most embarrassing thing I've ever returned was a fully cooked chicken breast that was covered in mold. They fave me the refund, without question of course, but made me take the meat back with me. Haha

Also, if you've been to a REI garage sale you see just how badly their lifetime return policy was abused before eu changed it a few years ago.

ROFL!! The more I read this story, the funnier it gets. I'm truly trying as hard as I can to keep quiet while at my desk at work, lol.

ROFL!! The more I read this story, the funnier it gets. I'm truly trying as hard as I can to keep quiet while at my desk at work, lol.
You're right. It does get funnier & funnier!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter