I am in chronic pain and anxiety

PeterPanFan74

Earning My Ears
Last time I went to disney, I had severe anxiety to where I was taking Xanax constantly. My body hurts from my major car accident where I was in a body cast. I have thought about just sending my kids to disney. I don't need DAS because I feel if those are limited I am sure there are other people in need for it. I guess I am just wondering if I can get a scooter if needed for my chronic pain. I am also seeing a neurologist for possible MS. I feel a mess...still wonder if I should bail on the trip which makes me sad because I love disney.

Which part of the experience was it that made you anxious? There is no limit to number of DAS passes. If you get anxious waiting in the line too long with people around you, you are exactly the type of person DAS is for. Don’t feel bad about using it.

A scooter would definitely help you get around the park. If you’re having a lot of pain when walking it sounds like a great idea. Take the trip at a slow pace. Send the kids to the park and meet them a little bit later in the day if you’re feeling badly that day. A little Disney is better than no Disney in my mind, but if you don’t feel ready then maybe it’s better to hold off on going and hopefully the pain will be a bit more manageable.

I would think about your concerns for the line can you handle standing and walking all day if not you will need a mobility device ( an ECV wheelchair or roller) what exactly gives you anxiety? The only the DAS does is it gives you a place to wait outside the lines. it does not make the wait shorter it does not make it so you walk less. Just becue you use one thing does not mean you can not use the other. if you want to go into more detail about what gives you anxiety then someone could give you an idea of what has helped them. also if you have a hard time getting around ( like sitting on a low stool, we can give you an idea of rides that might be hard for you so you can ( if you like) try then when you are at your best.

I appreciate all the responses. I fall easily and that has sparked severe anxiety. I am going to a neurologist in two weeks because my doctor wants to see if more is going on. I’m a mess. Can scooters go on lines? My anxiety is just from worrying I’ll fall when stammering amd walkjng a lot. My muscles are weak.

Scooters can go into most lines at WDW - 2 that come to mind that don’t allow the ECVs are Pirates (you’ll need to transfer to a wheelchair if you can’t stand in line) and Swiss Family Treehouse (for obvious reasons)

I appreciate all the responses. I fall easily and that has sparked severe anxiety. I am going to a neurologist in two weeks because my doctor wants to see if more is going on. I’m a mess. Can scooters go on lines? My anxiety is just from worrying I’ll fall when stammering amd walkjng a lot. My muscles are weak.
ys they can go in lines the very few lines they can not go in they will have wheelchair for you to use

I have been in your position. I have been at Disney with severe anxiety and I have been in pain. The first trip with anxiety was the tipping point where I decided I needed treatment. I had to leave MK and cut our trip short.

Second trip batting anxiety was 4 weeks after I fell, tearing my MCL and damaging my back. I was dependent on a ECV and in pain, but going turned out to be a really positive thing for me. I couldn't do everything, but just being there and out of the house was a real boost. I had anxiety about it, but I had it under control, and once I got to the parks and saw that I could handle navigating on the ECV I was ok. I would say rent a ECV and go enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

I have been in your position. I have been at Disney with severe anxiety and I have been in pain. The first trip with anxiety was the tipping point where I decided I needed treatment. I had to leave MK and cut our trip short.

Second trip batting anxiety was 4 weeks after I fell, tearing my MCL and damaging my back. I was dependent on a ECV and in pain, but going turned out to be a really positive thing for me. I couldn't do everything, but just being there and out of the house was a real boost. I had anxiety about it, but I had it under control, and once I got to the parks and saw that I could handle navigating on the ECV I was ok. I would say rent a ECV and go enjoy yourself.

Sorry you have suffered as well. I am thinking the ECV is my first pick. I am always holding on to my kids when we are in the mall - I definitely am worse than last year in disney so I will have to get an ECV.

I'm sorry you have anxiety about the trip especially when it is supposed to be happy and fun filled. I do think that renting a ECV will help alleviate a lot of your anxiety because you won't have to worry about falling. It will also help a lot with your pain too. I hope this turns around for you and you report back that you had a wonderful time!

There are so many companies that rent. There are also different types of ECVs. If you call one of the companies they can answer most questions you have about travel in the Orlando area. Some of my best memories are hanging out with my family at the parks. Dont stress over rides

I would say rent an ECV (I would strongly suggest an offsite company, PM me if you want a recommendation, although most here know who I will say) and I would suggest getting a DAS for the anxiety, they aren't limited and really will help in your case.

I would say rent an ECV (I would strongly suggest an offsite company, PM me if you want a recommendation, although most here know who I will say) and I would suggest getting a DAS for the anxiety, they aren't limited and really will help in your case.
If the anxiety is from a fear of falling and they use an ECV there would be no or very limited risk of falling and a DAS would not be needed since the mobility device would handle there anxiety needs. This is one reason why the DAS is need based not DX based

If the anxiety is from a fear of falling and they use an ECV there would be no or very limited risk of falling and a DAS would not be needed since the mobility device would handle there anxiety needs. This is one reason why the DAS is need based not DX based
True for the queues where ECVs are allowed, but I had to cut my last message short, I am suggesting getting a DAS because there are queues where ECVs are not allowed and the anxiety may be an issue, especially at the following attractions:
  • Tower of Terror
  • Rockin' Rollercoaster
  • Star Tours (YMMV with ECVs being allowed)
  • Test Track
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Peter Pan
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle (Not sure how much a DAS would help here though)
I am sure I am missing some, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Also, I am assuming that no one can push the OP in a wheelchair at these locations.

True for the queues where ECVs are allowed, but I had to cut my last message short, I am suggesting getting a DAS because there are queues where ECVs are not allowed and the anxiety may be an issue, especially at the following attractions:
  • Tower of Terror
  • Rockin' Rollercoaster
  • Star Tours (YMMV with ECVs being allowed)
  • Test Track
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Peter Pan
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle (Not sure how much a DAS would help here though)
I am sure I am missing some, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Also, I am assuming that no one can push the OP in a wheelchair at these locations.
But they have wheelchair thst you can use for the rides that do not let ECV in

But they have wheelchair thst you can use for the rides that do not let ECV in
I addressed that in my previous post:
Remember not every party has someone that can push a wheelchair and trying to push an empty wheelchair doesn't work well for a lot of people (including myself).

Now at many of these locations, there are alternates available if you push hard enough.

Also, Buzz is another location where this is an issue.

I addressed that in my previous post:

Remember not every party has someone that can push a wheelchair and trying to push an empty wheelchair doesn't work well for a lot of people (including myself).

Now at many of these locations, there are alternates available if you push hard enough.

Also, Buzz is another location where this is an issue.
It is a mobility problem that is causing the anxiety they need to have some type of mobility device if they are in line or anywhere and fall they could get hurt pretty bad if they are concerned that they will have no one to help them for the rides that do not let ECV in then they should plan on having someone help them push they should self push or they should not do those rides a DAS will not help them not fall in line but a mobility device will

It is a mobility problem that is causing the anxiety they need to have some type of mobility device if they are in line or anywhere and fall they could get hurt pretty bad if they are concerned that they will have no one to help them for the rides that do not let ECV in then they should plan on having someone help them push they should self push or they should not do those rides a DAS will not help them not fall in line but a mobility device will
Except, a DAS reduces the amount of time they are in the queue, which reduced the probability of falling. Again, not everyone has someone that can push them through a queue in a wheelchair and to say they should not do those rides is quite rude, especially when there are options that would work to assist them. At many attractions, there are alternatives that they try hard not to use, like alternative entrances near the exit of attractions.

But, I have also seen these attractions either offer to have a CM push the wheelchair or more commonly, advise the person to get a DAS and guest relations has issued them to people under such circumstances, I have seen it first hand, so yes, I stand by my statement that they should get a DAS if they don't have someone that can push them in a wheelchair, as they may be told to get one anyway.

We aren't going to bicker back-and-forth about whether or not DAS will be granted. Anything further about that will be removed. Nobody on disBoards can say for certain yes or no. Typically WDW's position is that if the "need" can be accommodated by use of a mobility device - they do not issue DAS. Guests should plan accordingly, and if they receive more assistance than expected (i.e., the DAS is granted) then all the better for them.

Feel free to post tips or suggestions based on experience, ideas that might help the OP. Even with a DAS, the parks can be a lot to cope with, and ideas from others' experience is helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter