I am part of the problem with high resort rates

And as I’m putting garbage bags in my list of packing items I’m thinking this is insane to pay almost $500 for a night in a room and I’m bringing garbage bags.

HOLLY CRAP!!!!!! I thought I was going crazy that I was the only one adding them to my list.

We have Gran Destino for 10 nights at the end of this month. Came real close to doing a split stay and changing our last 7 nights to BC. We pretty much talked ourselves into making the change until we popped on a room tour of a cash room at BC on the youtubes.

There were just a few things about those rooms that turned us off. We've stayed at a lot of the refurbished rooms of late and just can't come to pay that price for a dated room. The functionality changes they have been adding in the newer rooms on property mean a lot to us. Especially as our family slowly matures and desires privacy more.

Minimal housekeeping may be here to stay. Hilton has moved to ‘on demand’ housekeeping for its non-luxury brands. If you don’t call down to the front desk you only get housekeeping on the 5th day. If the industry as a whole moves in that direction then Disney will not bring it back.

So what do they do if you call for housekeeping? Is it a full cleaning that we used to get? Or just a trash & towels situation? NBC network news did a story on hotels the other night. Talked about house keeping specifically & how every hotel is limiting it now. The hotel manger basically said they had to cut it initially due to costs & now they are also having trouble finding staff. Meanwhile , they showed a former housekeeper in Hawaii that was in tears because she has to go to a food bank to get food for her kids because she is still not working. She said we want to work, I want to feed my family. She walks the beach handing out cards with information & asks people to complain to the hotels & demand housekeeping returns to prepandemic service.

So much attention went to restaurants & servers but there are still so many people still out of work in other areas.

If it make a difference, when we stayed at the Swan, housekeeping would bring up large plastic bags for trash when we asked. No need to pack them if your staying there. :teeth:

32 year Disney loyalist here. Never visited another theme park at all, not even Gatorland. Disney has been my ONLY thing to do for all these years (4 generations of family).

BUT, this year we are booking to stay at Universal and for the first time in 20 years we are not doing a Disney Halloween party/event. I'm just not buying into the ridiculousness anymore. When staying off site AND renting a car saves enough money to pay for all of our food for the entire week with some left over, thats a red flag problem for me. Disney doesnt need or want my business. I'm too poor for them.

32 year Disney loyalist here. Never visited another theme park at all, not even Gatorland. Disney has been my ONLY thing to do for all these years (4 generations of family).

BUT, this year we are booking to stay at Universal and for the first time in 20 years we are not doing a Disney Halloween party/event. I'm just not buying into the ridiculousness anymore. When staying off site AND renting a car saves enough money to pay for all of our food for the entire week with some left over, thats a red flag problem for me. Disney doesnt need or want my business. I'm too poor for them.
We are the same as yo but did do a five day trip at Universal in May. We stayed at Portofino, thought 15 month annual passes and it was only around $2300. I just kept saying “it’s nice I like it but it’s not Disney”.

So what do they do if you call for housekeeping? Is it a full cleaning that we used to get? Or just a trash & towels situation? NBC network news did a story on hotels the other night. Talked about house keeping specifically & how every hotel is limiting it now. The hotel manger basically said they had to cut it initially due to costs & now they are also having trouble finding staff. Meanwhile , they showed a former housekeeper in Hawaii that was in tears because she has to go to a food bank to get food for her kids because she is still not working. She said we want to work, I want to feed my family. She walks the beach handing out cards with information & asks people to complain to the hotels & demand housekeeping returns to prepandemic service.

So much attention went to restaurants & servers but there are still so many people still out of work in other areas.

I just don’t think things will go back to how they were. Some people just aren’t comfortable about another person being in their room and dropping germs. With how some people still feel uncomfortable going maskless after being vaccinated, I just don’t see it returning in the same capacity. If it returns it may only be at the more expensive hotels a la what they are planning to do with night extra hours at Disney.
We have to face that some jobs that went away aren’t coming back. With the push for mobile ordering, I just don’t see all the cashiers ever coming back at Disney. Corporations see they can get away with fewer people to pay and it will stick.

I just don’t think things will go back to how they were. Some people just aren’t comfortable about another person being in their room and dropping germs.

It's not just that. People on here have been saying for years that they would leave their DND signs up because they didn't want people in their rooms. LONG before COVID.

I guess I'm cheap. We're Value and Moderate people, but we take several other non-Disney vacations during the year. Still, I cannot believe rack rate for the Values moving into 2022. That is Moderate pricing, which I suppose means Moderates will keep inching closer to Deluxe pricing. My husband, daughter and I usually travel with my parents to WDW, but I wanted to take just the three of us on a little trip sometime during the first half of 2022. I struggled to find rates at ASM that were what I considered a "value." All standard rooms are booked up, leaving the preferred rooms at $134/night at the beginning of February. That is quite acceptable. After that there are incremental jumps towards what I have always considered Moderate pricing. I am not going to pay $200+/night to stay at a Value.

I’m another not drinking the koolaide any more. WDW has been decreasing services, even food portion size for quite a few years now all the while increasing prices. Do they think we don’t notice? I even noticed when they took away the corn muffin from Flametree BBQ meal!

We used to go 2x a year for 14 day stays Each trip. From the west coast. We were Passholders for years. Then they pretty much doubled AP price! No longer Passholders! We also stayed deluxe a lot. Dropped WDW trips to once a year and started going to Universal for other trip. Their Deluxe resorts are amazing, and cheaper than WDWs. Found we loved Universal!

Over the past 5 yrs with WDW raising prices of everything while giving less our trips have been reversed. We are now Universal Passholders and go there more with an occasional WDW trip. Not only that but being out of state WDW always only gave the option of buying the highest tier AP to us. I never understood that. Universal gives you whatever tier fits your needs. And you can get a Deluxe resort for under $400/night. Actually every resort category at Universal is cheaper than WDW and gives you more! There value resorts have 10x the amenities compared to WDW values. My airline changed my flight so in Oct I’m coming in a night early so I booked a family suite at a Universal value for under $200! Cabana Bay. 2 pools, slides, hot tubs, lazy river, bowling alley. What ridiculous rate are they charging for a family suite at Allstars?

We are going back to WDW next month, won’t pay the ridiculous rates their charging now for deluxe so staying at CBR. But I don’t know when I’ll be back to WDW.

I’m another not drinking the koolaide any more. WDW has been decreasing services, even food portion size for quite a few years now all the while increasing prices. Do they think we don’t notice? I even noticed when they took away the corn muffin from Flametree BBQ meal!

We used to go 2x a year for 14 day stays Each trip. From the west coast. We were Passholders for years. Then they pretty much doubled AP price! No longer Passholders! We also stayed deluxe a lot. Dropped WDW trips to once a year and started going to Universal for other trip. Their Deluxe resorts are amazing, and cheaper than WDWs. Found we loved Universal!

Over the past 5 yrs with WDW raising prices of everything while giving less our trips have been reversed. We are now Universal Passholders and go there more with an occasional WDW trip. Not only that but being out of state WDW always only gave the option of buying the highest tier AP to us. I never understood that. Universal gives you whatever tier fits your needs. And you can get a Deluxe resort for under $400/night. Actually every resort category at Universal is cheaper than WDW and gives you more! There value resorts have 10x the amenities compared to WDW values. My airline changed my flight so in Oct I’m coming in a night early so I booked a family suite at a Universal value for under $200! Cabana Bay. 2 pools, slides, hot tubs, lazy river, bowling alley. What ridiculous rate are they charging for a family suite at Allstars?

We are going back to WDW next month, won’t pay the ridiculous rates their charging now for deluxe so staying at CBR. But I don’t know when I’ll be back to WDW.
A lot of good points. The best word that describes the current resort pricing to me now is 'outrageous'. With the discount games it was palatable, but without, it's just not worth it anymore. One night, one room of a deluxe resort is now the same daily price of a high season cruise for my family of 5 in two cabins. And the cruise includes meals (and drinks as loyalty members). And we don't have to fly...

We'll be at the BC next week too, doing a split stay with Four Seasons and our Four Seasons room was cheaper. I really can't overstate how ridiculous that is because even before Disney cut housekeeping, the Four Seasons was so far above BC in every way, except location, but there comes a point where even that is no longer enough of a perk and a 10 minute bus ride for a far, far superior hotel is worth it. This may well be our last Disney resort stay - I can't accept the price anymore when considering value for your $.

I'm officially a dark side convert. My husband and I took our first trip to Universal a few weeks ago, and everything Harry Potter is incomparable to anything at any theme park anywhere. The food was, especially at Citywalk, so much better than what Disney has to offer, and surprisingly cheaper. Mythos was hands down the best meal I've ever had in a theme park, and I dare say better than some of the signature meals I've had at Disney.

We stayed at Cabana Bay and were impressed with the pools and amenities, and I agree the rates at their deluxe resorts are much more appealing, especially with the express pass perk. We're considering a stay at Royal Pacific in a year.

We have a Disney trip coming up in a few weeks, and I managed to sneak in one day at Islands of Adventure last minute. Hagrids and Forbidden Journey are the best rides I've ever ridden.

Our next Disney World trip will be 2023 before they end the 50th celebration-we are doing a Disney cruise in 2022. We were just talking about resort choices for 2023. I hope by then pent up travel demand will have cooled some and Disney offers more deals. We want to stay in a deluxe again ,Contemporary and Yacht Club and Boardwalk are ones we have stayed in, but loved POFQ when we stayed there. Hated CBR. Never will stay value again unless they really have deals-this after staying ASM, Pop, and AoA. Just stayed a week in Yacht Club, and ate at the Swan and Dolphin. I really liked the look/feel of those resorts. Sad to hear some here didn't. We have a bit to see how things play out, especially the resort entry benefits, FP situation and dining plan. We like trying all the resorts like we do the rides! But time will tell- We have stayed in Disney Springs hotels twice and because we drive got around easily and didn't have issues with dining or FP reservations staying there. I have found this last trip the dining plan didn't save me any on food-especially since this trip we ate at the festival booths and also got appetizers in the restaurants. We had to plan our dining around maximizing the plan benefits before when we had it-more planning! I will be watching these boards and Disney deals, and we may go ahead and contact our Dreams Unlimited agent.

I hear you about the pricing, which is exactly the reason why we bought into DVC 10 years ago. I wish we had done it sooner, but the fact remains that we were able to share our love of Disney with all of our friends and family without incurring too large of an expense. Having said that, I do worry more about the level of service rather than the cost. Disney has always been one of my favorite places simply because of the friendliness of the CM's as well as the opportunity to meet people from all over the world, and I honestly believe that people, CM's or otherwise, would enjoy Disney so much more if they just smiled and spoke kindly to one another rather than try to push the expectation envelope.

Resort prices are nutty.
Even moderates are closing in on $400 avg

Take Caribbean Beach
2022 rack rate including tax:
Just a handful of days under $300
and the majority are ~$400.

Get this…
Preferred Studio around the holidays $500/nt

eta-
https://www.mousesavers.com/2022-caribbean-beach-room-rates-season-dates/I forgot to add the link (distracted bbq-ing 😆)

Last edited:
I'm officially a dark side convert. My husband and I took our first trip to Universal a few weeks ago, and everything Harry Potter is incomparable to anything at any theme park anywhere. The food was, especially at Citywalk, so much better than what Disney has to offer, and surprisingly cheaper. Mythos was hands down the best meal I've ever had in a theme park, and I dare say better than some of the signature meals I've had at Disney.

We stayed at Cabana Bay and were impressed with the pools and amenities, and I agree the rates at their deluxe resorts are much more appealing, especially with the express pass perk. We're considering a stay at Royal Pacific in a year.

We have a Disney trip coming up in a few weeks, and I managed to sneak in one day at Islands of Adventure last minute. Hagrids and Forbidden Journey are the best rides I've ever ridden.
You’ll love Royal Pacific! And IMO there’s no comparison between Cabana Bay and Disney’s value resorts! So far above them.

:oops: There is a convention when I’m there. Hopefully it will be better. Thanks for the update!

I’m always wishy washy with my resort decisions. Maybe it’s just me, but 8 out if 10 times, I end up back on property at a deluxe. I’m guessing that’s why I’m part of the problem also 😂
Yes once you have gone deluxe you’re hooked. I said we were going to do deluxe just a couple times because we were getting some great deals. Those deals are no longer available. Now we are still going deluxe without the discount we were getting 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter