I can't believe I never read about IT here before

gometros

<font color=teal>WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector an
There was an article in the Travel section of my Sunday newspaper yesterday (Journal News) that the two cruise chips have a few of the motorized scooters invented by Dean Kamen on board. Originally known as the IT Scooter, not Segway, the captains and cruise directors use it to traverse the length of the ship. They are also available to guests for a 5-minute trial run and can be rented for 30 minutes at a time for $15. I was surprised that I never read about Segway here before. (OF course odds are that I just missed the discussion.)

You did just miss it. :) We had several threads about the Segway Human Transporter, and many of us (me included) have tried it. It's a blast! :)

I agree Segway is a blast, but don't look at Michelle's tag whatever you do!!!!!! :p :smooth:
Cathy

AHEM! ;)

Only because I was allowed to use the Segway at a MUCH HIGHER SPEED (the setting for CMs, not guests) does that tag appear under my name. :p

Trust me, no one will be using it at that speed that isn't a CM ever again. :teeth:

Originally posted by Dave_from_Marietta
Michelle has had "Segway Roadkill" underneath her name for several weeks now.

Oh, goodness, I just saw that!

My wife is dying to try it when we go. Mothers hide your children.

LOL my friend, I couldn't resist pointing it out, but Michelle is right. At the speed that "normal" people go at, no problem, but Ms. Speed Demon there was game for more when the CM offered since he knew we were pros (had done it the day before).

Seriously, it is a lot of fun, too bad it is only for the big kids!! :p
CC

segway1.jpg

good luck finding them.. When we were on the Wonder 10/17, I didn't see them anywhere....not on deck, not on CC, nowhere. Perhaps I missed them, but I think they might be gone now.

LOL! I always wondered about that Segway roadkill under your name, but I was afraid to ask.

Tina :)

DH and BIL did this. It was available on the Wide WOrld of sports deck on sea days and then on CC. There probably another person in the state of MI that has done this. It was totally worth the $15!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was really cool!!! Make sure you check the Navigators for it!

They were on the Magic on the 10/12 cruise, Kris. Maybe they pass them from one ship to the other?
Cathy

I did not know that they had these on the ship, sounds great. For those that have tried this on the ship, where did you go to rent them? Believe it or not my one Dr. talked to me about getting one because of a problem I have walking. He said that a wheelchair or a scooter may be more than I need and that due to a possibility of a pump implant for pain they want me standing as much as possible.
I saw one demonstrated on the news about 6 months ago but that was all. Any info. would be of great help.
You guys on this board have so much information, thanks.

Dennis - the CMs doing the Segway told us that they are currently only available to corporations and not to the general public. The reason for this is several things including how to classify them and road rules for them and safety issues for them, etc. So, they expect them to be avail to the public in 4 - 5 years. WDW managers can be seen zipping around the parks on these.

Check your navs, but it was 4:15 pm on Monday and Thurs day, (and not sure about CC day times, but it was available) on the Wide World of sports deck.

Have fun if you try it!

DH tried one on the Wonder in september & loved it! I don't remember the exact time, but they were on CC, near the ship, only in the afternoon. We did not see them when we went back inside after lunch.

Actually, we wouldn't have remembered about them except we were walking around deck 4 after the 1 pm movie & happened to see the CMs out with them. We ran right downstairs to try it, with no cameras or anything! I sure wish I had that on video!! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter