I can't decide...

TriMom

<font color=red>SWIM BIKE RUN<br><font color=blue>
We will be going home for the 2nd time ever in May 2006. It will be the first trip home for sweet pea, due to arrive in Nov. Here is my delima. We are looking forward to staying at our home resort SSR. DS, 2 yrs, will love the little slide, and the Donald play area. But I think that I will enjoy VWL more. I am excited about the boat transportation from MK. Having 2 little ones in strollers, (or 1 double stroller) it just seems easier to stay at VWL (and I love the theming)

So what do you think? Trip with me, DH, DS 2, and Sweet Pea 5 mo. Where would you stay?

I had been having thoughts about this as well (we have a 5 year old, a 3 year old and one coming Oct 10th) for our trip in December.

I decided to stay at SSR for the 11 month booking advantage so I wouldn't miss out on this time of year - which is probably my favorite at WDW. If you think you will mostly be staying at MK during your trip, I would try for VWL! It is a lovely place for sure and the access to MK via the boat is wonderful. (my kids think the buses and monorail are part of the fun, so they don't mind, but we will have to see how the baby likes all this).

That said, my real comment here was going to be about strollers. I don't really remember when my boys were ok with a regular stroller, but have you found one that will accomidate a baby and a toddler? I am sure they are out there, but it would have to be convertable into one that would also accomidate 2 toddlers later, or the expense would be two fold when you had to replace it again once your baby was bigger. As an alternative, one thing I am very seriously considering is a sling. We have used a double stroller on every trip to WDW except one (when we brought our travel system stroller and I will NOT do that again - just too big, to hard to manage in the parks and on the buses). If I am successful with a sling (and this last baby is a girl so I am hoping she wont be whopper big in 2 seconds like my 2nd boy was!!!), then we can still take the double stroller we have now for one last trip! I don't really know what else to do. What are your plans for this?

I can only comment that I think your idea about staying at VWL for the access to MK is a good one!

Bobbi :flower:

Put your reservation in for SSR at the 11 month window, then see what's available at VWL at 7 months. If there's an opening, you'll probably be grateful for the easy transportation to MK. Everybody's kids are different, but many kids get overloaded if they keep seeing new spectacular sights every day. When they're little you might be better off going to MK over and over again, helping your kids get to know it and letting them ride their favorites more than once. If you feel that way, the VWL is an excellent choice. You have many years ahead to enjoy SSR, and when the kids are teens that might become their favorite place to stay anyway.

Just a thought: while it's great to use the boats over to the MK from the VWL but the landing deck is a walk from the Villas while the bus stop is much closer. After walking around all day in the parks it was quite a walk back to our rooms from the boat landing.

I am pretty sure she is talking about the VWL side, not the MK side. The boat launch definately seems closer to the gates of MK, but I think the bus is much closer (so they might have to take the bus anyway to get to the boat dock).

To me the deciding factor would be whether or not you're driving to WDW or taking a plane and ME. If you're driving, the parking lot at VWL is a looooong way from the villas. At SSR you park outside your room. Want to hop in the car and take a trip to the market? Want to run to AK for a few hours? Need to leave a park quickly because the baby is fussy and you want to get back to your room FAST? If so, life will be way easier for you with the car nearby the room. JMO.

I'll chime in about strollers and young-uns and WDW. We are heading to the VWL in less than 2 weeks with our 3 little boys (5, 2 1/2, and 8 months). My 5 year old is still very much into riding in a stroller so we are bringing 2 strollers with us: a double for the 2 older, and a Pliko for the baby. I have a great double stroller that worked well for my younger 2 when Ryan was still in an infant carrier. It is the Swan caravan lite. It's a tandem that fit the baby carrier securely in the back while Casey rode up front. I have since converted it to a regular tandem as Ryan has outgrown the baby carrier. Don't know if these are still available but it worked great. Having said that, it is a compact side by side double that I am bringing to see the mouse because it accomodates the 2 older ones better. I am also bringing a hip carrier for the baby for when we are in line or when I can't bring his stroller. He is a load though, and I don't want to have to schlep him about too much. :rolleyes: I can't wait for our trip! I figure we'll be in the MK daily :earsboy:

I have been to WL twice with kids in strollers. Excellent access to MK...Best part is that most of the time we where able to wheel the strollers right onto the boat, then right off at the dock. Including a double!! (depending on which boat we got onto to). If one of the kids fell asleep in the stroller we didn't have to wake them. Getting sleeping or tired and cranky kids in and out of a carriage and trying to fold up the carriage for the bus was a major main in the A--...highly recommend VWL until your children are older. Plus your kids are always guarenteed a seat ..can't say that about a bus.

The boat also is very calming for the kids and allows for a great transition from the excitement of the park.

Also, the boat crew were always very willing to help get the carriage on and off. Gotta luv that Disney service!! :cheer2:

Thanks for all the advice. I have a sling and I LOVE it. DS has already made 3 trips to DW (today is his 2nd birthday :) ) and we made great use of it. However, nothing beats a stroller for nap time. You gave me lots of things to think about. We will have a car (Don't get me started on the hassles of flying, that's another thread). Having made a trip with DS and his cousin, who is 3 mo younger, we discovered that trying to get 2 little ones and 2 stollers off and on a bus is a hassle. So we drive to EPCOT, MGM, and AK. You can park, and beat tram in those parking lots. Getting to the MK is problem. You almost have to take the tram, which is worse than getting off and on a bus.

LOL!! - I guess I just answered my own question!:rotfl: I need to stay at VWL, because the boat is the best way to get to the MK. And we will be at MK alot. Can you say Winnie the Pooh 8 times in a row??

It's great that I have a place to obsess about Disney planning. I am sure the DH, who is always supportive, gets tired of my endless planning.

Just to throw in a whole other idea stroller-wise.... when we took our trio at ages ds5,ds4, and dd infant, we used a "frame" stroller for the baby. We too drove in (so she had her car seat anyway). This "frame" stroller was a very light weight contraption (fittable to any car seat). Nice thing about it -- whether we rode a bus or a boat, baby had a seat. I wouldn't recommend it for a large baby or an older baby who really wants to sit straight up all the time -- but for an infant it was great. Saved on car space, too, since the lightweight frame folded flat as can be -- and it had a great big basket under it for all sorts of "stuff-holding". If she fell asleep and we elected to ride a bus, we could just unsnap her "bucket" from the frame and carry her on, still snoozing in the seat. Great in restaurants too. I think I got mine from Right Start or One step ahead.

Hey lllovelll, you're getting close to due date time! :goodvibes Hope everything is going ok! October is a great month to have a baby, or so my mom always said -- she had me on the 6th! I have to say, I always liked my birth month... fall leaves, cooler weather... nice time of year!

gopherit said:
Just to throw in a whole other idea stroller-wise.... when we took our trio at ages ds5,ds4, and dd infant, we used a "frame" stroller for the baby. We too drove in (so she had her car seat anyway). This "frame" stroller was a very light weight contraption (fittable to any car seat). Nice thing about it -- whether we rode a bus or a boat, baby had a seat. I wouldn't recommend it for a large baby or an older baby who really wants to sit straight up all the time -- but for an infant it was great. Saved on car space, too, since the lightweight frame folded flat as can be -- and it had a great big basket under it for all sorts of "stuff-holding". If she fell asleep and we elected to ride a bus, we could just unsnap her "bucket" from the frame and carry her on, still snoozing in the seat. Great in restaurants too. I think I got mine from Right Start or One step ahead.

Hey lllovelll, you're getting close to due date time! :goodvibes Hope everything is going ok! October is a great month to have a baby, or so my mom always said -- she had me on the 6th! I have to say, I always liked my birth month... fall leaves, cooler weather... nice time of year!

I have seen those frames and thought they looked like a great idea! Lightweight and compact when not in use. Glad to hear someone had good success with them. I think I will go ahead and order one today. Also, things are going GREAT. I am so tired and sore but nothing out of the ordinary. At the latest she will be here by the 10th of October (having a c-seciton because i have a grapefruit sized cyst on one ovary that they are going to remove at the same time) but I honestly expect her before that. Just call it Mommy's instinct! The 6th doesn't sound bad at all to me :)

Thanks for the warm wishes and the information Gopherit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter