I counted my jar of coins last night......

I LOVE doing this! We use an old WDW popcorn bucket and start filling it as soon as we get back. I'll purposely give a cashier bills so I can get the change back for the jar. I'll have to try saving the $1 bills starting with our initials like the pp does. I'll just have to think of where to keep them so they don't get spent.

We LOVE saving change too. I am another one that will make sure I pay with cash so I can get the change back. We are using the Disney Star Wars bank from Disney World. When it gets full we just dump it in a disney popcorn bucket. We will cash ours in right before our vacation for spending money. I have a 2 1/2 year old that loves putting money in the bank. Anytime he finds any change at all he goes to the bank to put it in. We just take ours to our credit union and cash it in with no charge since we are members. We just put ours on a disney gift card to use on all the extras we want.

we don't usually have much, but we try. We use a debit card for most purchases, so no change back.

On a side note, I was talking to my sister the other day. She has an old VW bug that she bought and has been restoring. She is having the motor rebuilt and I asked if that was expensive and she said it was like $1300-$1500. I thought that was a budget buster, but she didn't. She is the person with no kids, and doesn't over spend. I said, I'm glad I don't have to pay for it. She said she will just cash in some change to cover most of it. I asked her how much she had and she over $1100.

your not cheap or crazy.. also my bank charges me to count change but KIDS accounts can count for free so obviously we hve it counted under her account and no fees.

Last trip we saved 179.00 in a jar the kids split that as their spending money. This upcoming trip we are hoping to save more in this cute jar.
il_fullxfull.321369491.jpg

We have a change jar that we cashed out last year for our trip to Disney for spending money. It was well over $300!
I have my Disney fund too, and I usually put all my loose change and dollars in it. But, one thing that I started doing that is really adding up is my "savings jar". I have a target Red debit card and I also use coupons. I keep track of what I save with the card and coupons, and when I to go the bank to deposit checks, I always take that money out in cash and put in my vacation fund. I already have a few hundred dollars in there.

I have to tell you: Have you heard about the $5 Savings Plan? Here's the rule:

Every single time you get a five dollar bill, NEVER spend it. Put it in a jar and don't touch it again. This really adds up! We started doing this a few weeks ago and already have a few hundred dollars! Right now we're planning on a mini-beach vacation for a couple of days, but as soon as we get home from that, we're going to save for a Disney cruise to Alaska. We won't be able to go for at least two years, so that could really add up.

It should be noted that this can be used from everything from vacations to home renovations - it's really worked well for us!

That's a great idea! I have a much-needed reno coming up and that's a great way to help with that cost. Then I can save again for our Disney trips!

I have been saving up coins too!

I am a single mom of 2 teens - my mom is taking us all to Disney in October but I will lose a week of pay. I am using the coins for Christmas money. I lose a week of pay when we go to Disney and my kids bdays are December and January.

I use Coinstar to cash in the coins. There is no charge if you put the money on a gift card, only if you redeem for cash. I am putting it all into Amazon credit so that I can use it for Christmas gifts.

We have a square mickey tin for saving our change in. I am not able to put as much in it as I would like because part of my change goes to my younger kids' lunches once a week. If I don't give them the correct amount, I don't get the change back.

That said, since last September we have managed to save just over $200.00. We have a trip to Ontario this summer, a trip to WDW in the fall for my partner and I and we would like to take the kids back to WDW next year. We might save it for next year and see how much we can get in it by saving till then.

I agree with putting change in at the end of each day and using bills to get the change back, you don't miss it that way and it adds up. I wish my bank had the option of putting the difference of interac purchases in another account.

I do this also. I did it when I bought my first car and now I am doing it again for my Disney fund. I have my daughter (almost 4) doing it also. I took the pretzel jug when it was empty, washed it and glues foam princess pictures on it. She love putting money in it. I am trying to hold off couting for a while. I have been putting spare change and some bills (ones and fives) in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter