I Despise Fireworks

Saphire

DIS Veteran
Unless they professional like at Disney or part of a parade/concert. I live behind a park, and every year the fireworks start at the end of June. They are most often late at night and in secret. By the time the police are called they are usually over, but not before my kitties have been spooked, or we have been startled or woken up. Last night was bad.
I don't really understand the lure of fireworks. It is just noise pollution to me, and an extension of kids being rowdy or adults being drunk. And the litter it leaves behind is horrible. Yuck. :sad2:

Yup. We live next door to a campground, and once or twice a month they have fireworks they don't warn you about. Scares the you know what out of my dog....he shakes and pants and tries to hide under the furniture. Police say it's private property and they have permission so there's nothing we can do.

I also don't see the attraction of the small fireworks. To me, you may as well just set your money on fire. What is so exciting about a little puff of light and a loud bang? I don't get it. Normally, I can't go anywhere or do anything on the 4th of July because of the firecrackers people set off in my neighborhood. They scare my dog, so I have to stay home with him.

Funny, I live five minutes behind the Magic Kingdom. We hear Wishes every night, but those don't bother the dog. He is used to them and expects them. It's the firecrackers that scare him.

I'm with ya!

I love the professional displays, but the illegal and supposed "safe-and-sane" drive me bonkers! Only one city near-by sells and allows those approved S&S. Unfortunatley, they're used all over the area, not just the city that allows them.

<---firworks lover.

Sorry you hate it. Explosives are a wonderul thing.

Well they've started up here at the lake already, but it's kind of weird.. On both Friday night and last night - at exactly 9:30 pm - someone lit off something that is much, much louder than the loudest fireworks I have ever heard.. It was one huge explosion - and both times I actually thought that a boat had exploded on the lake!! :eek:

I'm not looking forward to the next week at all.. Lots of woods and vehicles around here and they don't care where they land - even if it has the potential of starting a fire or causing damage - not to mention injuries.. And then there are the folks who think it's "fun" to drive by and throw lit firecrackers or cherry bombs out of their car windows..

Go watch a professional show and stop endangering other peoples property and their lives..:headache:

Like steve buscemi's quote from Armageddon:
"Why do I do this? Because the money's good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives, okay?" hehehehehheee

I used to blow them up as a kid, and I enjoy watching them. But it really does scare the heck out of our dogs.

the worst part is Q was never scared. She would sit outside with us as we watched the village display from our front lawn. then along came scaredy freddy. he shakes and hides, and now Q figures they must be scary. so now she shakes even worse then freddy.

OUr neighbors were shooting them off daily starting about a month ago. just one or two a night, evey night. it was like water boarding for dogs. I was very surprised that they stopped when I asked them to stop! Of course I said a week or two around the 4th was fine....

Mikeeee

Love, love, love the big ones! Hate, hate, hate the small ones and I was just informed that the people coming over for the 4th will be shooting them off in our cul-de-sac. Great.

I am just so spoiled by Disney fireworks. I have tried to go see local fireworks and they just bore me. They are so slow to be fired off; so much time between each one. I know it's because they don't have the money and they just want them to last longer. The only ones I have seen that rival the ones at Disney, are the 4th of July fireworks in Washington, DC. I'm sure they are just in nice in other large cities such as New York, Boston, etc.

Funny, I live five minutes behind the Magic Kingdom. We hear Wishes every night, but those don't bother the dog. He is used to them and expects them. It's the firecrackers that scare him.

I am beyond jealous!!!!:worship: Can you see the fireworks from your house as well??

I don't really understand the lure of fireworks. It is just noise pollution to me, and an extension of kids being rowdy or adults being drunk. And the litter it leaves behind is horrible. Yuck. :sad2:

Have to take exception with this generalization. We light off fireworks(the legal kind here in Georgia which are basically sparkler type-nothing can shoot in the air and no large explosives/firecrackers.) Several families with young kids gather in our cul-de-sac on the 4th (only time) for about a half hour of sharing what we have bought. The kids are very well behaved and kept away from the fireworks, and I assure you that no is drunk. :sad2: We keep water and a garbage can close by, and we always clean up every scrap of paper. We are done by 9:30. Sorry if it bothers you, or if they are not up to Disney's standards, but no need to throw around inaccurate generalizations.
smiley_emoticons_silvester2_biggrin.gif

Just for the record, I also don't like irresponsible kids or adults using any kind of fireworks either, we just don't fall into that category.

I don't despise them but over the years I've become quite the fireworks snob! Nothing compares to Wishes. princess:

Hate them
I don't mind sparklers -but the noisy things drive me crazy.

Our much missed lab had to be sedated every year.
I would also spend the next day picking up bottle rockets from the yard.
Also 20,000 ER visit a year from firework injuries.
And with us having a drought every few years they seem irresponsible.
Also -not everyone has the next day after a holiday off -so you are keeping neighbors awake that may have to work the next day or have small children

Ok I will get off my soap box now ;)

I am beyond jealous!!!!:worship: Can you see the fireworks from your house as well??

Yes, I can see them from my front porch. Normally, I don't go out to watch them. I will go out to watch them on the 4th because it is a bigger display. Once you can watch them every night, you don't.

Unless they professional like at Disney or part of a parade/concert. I live behind a park, and every year the fireworks start at the end of June. They are most often late at night and in secret. By the time the police are called they are usually over, but not before my kitties have been spooked, or we have been startled or woken up. Last night was bad.

I could not sleep last night, so I signed on at 2 am to check my mail. A close friend was online, I was surprised, he said he could not sleep because he had the police there until 1...kids were setting off fireworks the next street over and his roof had caught fire!!!!:scared: Well, it smoldered a bit and put itself out, but he said it's happened more than once, when he hears fireworks he goes out and tries to hose down the roof to help prevent fires and calls the cops immediately! I LOVE fireworks but in the hands of professionals! Too dangerous otherwise! And as a nurse I have seen a few fireworks injuries over the years! Kids get a lot of burns from them on their hands. I guess they might blow themselves up, too, but never seen that happen (yet, knock on wood).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter