I don't know a word of Japanese! - A COMPLETED TR!

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!!

The instruction manuals had me :lmao:

GAH! Disney merch (LOVE the Stitch golf cover thingy) all over Tokyo!! :goodvibes

I'm a FREAK for cosmetics and fake lashes!! Did you get any pics of the ones you picked up?

Still lovin your TR!! Thank you so much for posting!

No I didn't get any pics of the eyelashes, but I pretty much stuck to just buying the basic ones. Nothing too fancy :rotfl:

After lunch we walked around for some more, and eventually decided on playing some virtual golf. This would have been more fun if DH had remembered he was left handed… As the person setting it up asked which hand he used, and for some reason said Right… Even though we’re both lefties… So we had to play the whole game right handed, which is just weird… It was still fun though, except once you get within a certain distance of the hole it just jumps ahead to the next t off.

DH was way better at playing right handed compared to me. I was lucky to hit the ball in the right direction! Damn you wii! You made me feel like I knew how to play golf! :lmao:

I thought I had photos, but turns out I just have videos... :confused3

On the way out I grabbed some ice cream from Baskin & Robins. I got a double chocolate or something, and something called love potion. I knew I’d like the chocolate, but wow the love potion was amazing!

P7230014.jpg

We started walking the long way back to our hotel. The plan was to freshen up and head out for some dinner, but on the way we stumbled on a place called The Watering Hole – it was basically an Izakaya, but sold beers from micro breweries all around the world. It was a real find. DH loves a good beer.

DSC_0037.jpg

We went in for a few drinks, but unfortunately they only sold beer and the food menu, which only has a couple of finger foods on it was only in Japanese, so we couldn’t order any nibbles, and I don’t drink. They brought me a glass of water, but it smelt a bit funny, so I didn’t drink it. I try and only drink bottled water when on holidays, as there’s too good a chance that something will upset my stomach.

We hung around here for over an hour though, and DH tried several different beers. We also found these.

DSC_0034.jpg

Miss Piggy was in the ladies

DSC_0035-2.jpg

Kermit was in the mens.

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DH would be a regular here if it were closer to home.

We then started making our way back to the hotel. Once we got there and had freshened up we decided we didn’t want to go far for dinner, so we decided we’d try Tribeks which is a bit of a swanky looking restaurant inside CST, on the foyer level. We were given a voucher when we checked in, and I made sure to take it with us. Good thing too, the prices were pretty high.
We were seated at this amazing corner window table, with just breath taking views of Tokyo. We weren’t as high up here as what we were in our room, but because of how the restaurant is built into the hotel you would have views that span further then 180 degrees. We couldn’t get over the view, and found ourselves mesmerised by the trains coming and going beneath us.

P7230028.jpg

P7230016.jpg

I ordered the chefs banquet, which gave me a starter, a main and a dessert. My starter was a cauliflower soup, my main was a steak with something, and my dessert was a cheesecake. The cauliflower soup was awesome. The steak was really tasty but the texture didn’t seem as good as a steak you get back home, and the cheesecake was really nice too, but just plain cheese cake.

P7230024.jpg

P7230027.jpg

P7230030.jpg

P7230018.jpg

and some tropical looking drink. :p

DH got a tasting plate of deli meats – proscuito, salami etc. Some duck as a main and a crème brulee for dessert. He raved about his meals. He could have gotten another tasting plate of meat it was that good. I didn’t try any of the duck, but he was pretty impressed by it, and then I hogged his crème brulee because it was also pretty awesome.

P7230021.jpg

P7230025.jpg

P7230031.jpg

This was the most expensive meal of the trip, even with the voucher, but it was worth it.

We then headed back up to our room in the elevator, commenting on how we’d managed to leave the best until last. :goodvibes

Next up our time in Kyoto! :rolleyes: Better go write it... :lmao:

I think I may have had that same table at Tribeks! :lmao: I also called the view "mesmerizing" in my blog. :)

It is isn't it?? :cloud9: It's funny because it's lower then the view from our hotel room, but because it went around corners it was amazing!

Ooooohhh......Food and a view!

Sounds like you enjoyed Japanese food on this trip. Looking forward to Kyoto.

It is isn't it?? :cloud9: It's funny because it's lower then the view from our hotel room, but because it went around corners it was amazing!

Yeah, it surrounds you and it's always in your line of site; unless I was deliberately looking out the window in the hotel room (which I certainly did sometimes), the view there wasn't in my face so to speak.

Looking forward to reading about Kyoto. I haven't been there since like 1993 so I won't have many personal memories to compare.

We only had to be up early today to check out. So there wasn’t much of a rush as we packed up our belongings. After last nights success we decided to hit up Tribecks again for breakfast.

They had a pretty extensive buffet breakfast available. I didn’t get any photos – which is really weird of me, I usually have my camera on me at all times, but for some reason this morning all I took was our room key to get back into our room. :confused3 I knew from last night that they’d put the meal on our room so I didn’t need cash and obviously didn’t want to carry anything else.

This was really handy except it meant I also forgot to take our voucher down.
I had waffles with maple syrup and some sweet roll things – which I realised tasted better with the maple syrup then the waffles did. :p

DH tried a heap of things.

We then checked out of the hotel and said goodbye to CST. It was such a great hotel and I’d recommend that everyone stay here. It’s really central and has heaps of amenities with really helpful staff. :thumbsup2

We dragged our bags into Shinjuku station for the last time and made our way to Tokyo station on the subway – that leg of the trip is part of the Shinkansen tickets. Once we got to Tokyo station we had to ask at the JR counter which platform to head to, because we had no idea what so ever. They pointed us to number 18.

It took us a fair while to find an escalator that was heading in the right direction, but eventually we found it and made our way up.

It was pretty sweltering on the platform and we still had half an hour to wait for our train. Luckily they have little air conditioned waiting rooms along the platform so we made ourselves comfortable and waited.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Of course the train was right on time. I was a bit surprised though, as we made our way to where we needed to line up for our carriage and stood there waiting for the cleaning staff to do what they needed to do. While we were waiting many people would go to get on the train and be told they had to wait, so they would just stand in front of us waiting… We were warned so many times before going to Japan about how people lined up for the trains and that there was no pushing. It just surprised me to see so many people all at once not doing this… :confused3

Anyhoo, we were eventually able to board and we made our way to our seats. We found out that the luggage area is on a rack above your head. I thought this was weird because I was expecting it to be similar to the Narita Express where there are racks at the end of the carriages with locks where you can store your bags. DH managed to heft our bag up there though, and there was plenty of room.

While this was a 2 ½ - 3 hour trip it definitely didn’t feel it. The trains are so smooth with very few stops.

We were sitting on the right hand side of the train. I’m not sure what side you’re supposed to be able to see Mt Fuji on, on a clear day, but we didn’t see it. It was pretty hot and hazy though.

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

There is also apparently wi-fi on the train, but I couldn’t get it to work. There’s also a power point there somewhere so you can charge stuff.

At one stage we were travelling along on a beautiful sunny day, then we went through a tunnel and came out the other end to a down pour of rain. Made me really start to wonder exactly how fast we were going. :lmao:

It had finished raining by the time we stopped in Kyoto, but it was still wet out, which made it really hot and muggy. :crazy2:

We knew that our new hotel – The Granvia – was supposed to be on top of the train station. However we were standing on a platform that was out in the open, and we couldn’t really see any large hotely looking places around us, so now we were a bit confused. :confused:

We headed down into the train station and had a bit of a look around. Still lost. :rotfl:

Loving the train ride we're on at the moment....

Looking forward to Kyoto.....as, I'm sure...(ye of little faith) Battymum is as well. :rolleyes1

Eventually I went into a travel agent located in the station and they were able to give us directions to the hotel.

From the platform you go down into the station and turn right. Going straight ahead you go up some stairs and continue going straight. Eventually you will come across the hotel on your right. It is on top of the station, but I’m still a bit confused as to how… :rotfl2:

Hotel Granvia is very fancy. The décor seemed fancier then CST, but not necessarily a better hotel.

From this entrance you go up some escalators, then you walk along a really long hallway that is lined with several restaurants, eventually you come to some elevators where you need to go down a level to get to the lobby. I think there must be 4 sets of elevators all in different locations, North, South, East and West. We only ever used the one set though, as it was closest to our room - I think it was the South set...

Check in was nice and easy, and because it was already after 2pm we were able to go straight up to our room. The room was a lot smaller then CST, but the bed was more comfy.

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

The view also left something to be desired…

DSC_0023.jpg

:lmao:

After we were settled in our hotel room we headed back into the train station to see if we could grab something to eat. I didn’t want anything too big, so we ended up in one of the Japanese bakeries. I got this yummy hot dog thingy, and DH got like a cold meat bun thingummy and a long bread stick filled with bacon and cheese. I was very impressed by this bakery – it was so nice!!

P7240002.jpg

P7240003.jpg

We went for a bit of a walk around the station without really knowing where we were going. There are a lot less English signs in Kyoto compared to Tokyo, so it’s not as easy to just find your way around.

Eventually after a bit of walking we came across Umekoji Park. This was really pleasant, but wasn’t as special as the parks we’d seen in Tokyo, there was a section where you could pay for access, and it was probably a lot nicer, but we didn’t really feel like paying to see another park. There were a heap of cats about the park. Not sure if they’re stray or not, but they were everywhere! I love cats.

There’s also a train museum here, again you had to pay for entry, and I’m not that big a fan of trains, so we skipped it.

We worked out that the Kyoto Aquarium was right next door to the park, so we figured we’d go in there for a look around. It was incredibly humid because of the rain earlier in the day, so we were looking forward to getting into some air conditioning. Unfortunately it was about 5pm by this time, and that’s what time the aquarium was shutting, so we turned away determined to walk down the road a bit further to where a shrine was supposed to be.

Eventually we came across what I think was the Nishi Hong Shrine? We took some photos of the outside, but again it looks like it shut at 5pm, so we’d missed it as well.

DSC_0028-1.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg

Unfortunately this was a trend with Kyoto, almost everything shut around 4-5pm, even though it was the middle of summer, and there were a heap of tourists still milling about the entrances past this time. :worried:

We made our way back to Granvia for a couple of hours rest.

For dinner we went up further above the train station into a couple of floors of restaurants. The majority of them were noodle places, so we picked a random one. Ordered our meals from a vending machine and took a seat for dinner. I made a run back into the train station to get some drinks because the only drinks available at the restaurant were water and green tea.

P7240005.jpg

P7240004_zpsda0c176d.jpg

After dinner we found that almost everything in the train station was also shut, and it was maybe 9pm. :rolleyes2

Eventually I went into a travel agent located in the station and they were able to give us directions to the hotel.

From the platform you go down into the station and turn right. Going straight ahead you go up some stairs and continue going straight. Eventually you will come across the hotel on your right. It is on top of the station, but I’m still a bit confused as to how… :rotfl2:

The view also left something to be desired…

DSC_0023.jpg

:lmao:

Isn't that the train station?

If so.....you're practically right on top of the station......practically....:upsidedow

Nice looking hotel room....did it also shut at 4 or 5?

Yeah it's the train station, part where there's no trains :lmao:

The whole Kyoto part of the trip it felt like places were shutting just as we got there :rotfl2:

Yeah it's the train station, part where there's no trains :lmao:

The whole Kyoto part of the trip it felt like places were shutting just as we got there :rotfl2:

I would have used that as an excuse to stay at the hotel.....and enjoy the.....room. ;)

Aren't you still within your 1st year of marriage?.....

(you can blush some more now.....:rotfl:)

Sorry, thought I had already commented - but thanks for the update! :wave2:

How did you know what to order from the vending machine -was there an English menu or was it a bit of a lucky dip?

The bakery looks good - actually all the food is looking good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter