• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I emailed Disney....DO YOU AGREE WITH MY COMMENT

It's only going to increase the number of personal strollers rather than decrease strollers in general.

I'm not so sure - I think that most people will get there without having a clue what stroller rental costs (think about what a tiny percentage of DW attendees read boards or even guide books for that matter) Some will decide it's too much and won't rent, but I imagine most will just chalk it up to a cost of being in the park.

I think an awful lot of people with strollers don't really need them. When we took our then five and seven year olds we took umbrella strollers in the car but didn't let them know we had them. We decided to go to a park and see how they did. I logged between 10 and 14 miles a day for 7 days on my pedometer (which they walked right along with me) and never heard a complaint from them. Sure, they were tired, but stroller wasn't an option so they hung in their and walked. The strollers never left the car and we had two less things to struggle with (or look for after rides) Healthy kids of that age, with some preparation ahead of time, can do far more than we give them credit for!

I tend to err on the side of the average Disney going parent balking at that price. Now granted, if you are a newbie and have never been to Disney you may get a little miffed (Darn Disney milking me fore very penny grumble grumble)but you will swallow the cost and move on. Where they are running into problems is their loyal customer base.

What I cannot fathom is biting the hand that feeds you with such frequency and ferocity. Ticket increases, DDP changes, now this.

Also I am sure the outcome will be: higher ticket prices as the transportation costs will increase due to the number of bus runs increasing due to the average number of carry on strollers increasing. So eventually we all will end up paying for it.

**And yes my 4 year old and 3 year old use a stroller still for times when we will do lots of walking. We find it creates less meltdowns, keeps them closer and in a secure location so there is no wandering off to be afraid of, and also they have a much more enjoyable time than hoofing it. We don't bring everything but the kitchen sink, I wear a backpack that has a change of clothes for them in a gallon ziploc (still have the occasional accident); bubbles (to pass the time when we are waiting for parades etc.), and snack bags. For my DH and I, bottle water, camera, and id/tickets/money. It weighs no more than the traditional diaper bag, and this is all we bring into the parks. The only time we have used our stroller for a pack mule is that last day in the parks for our shopping bags.

Last year we ran to Target before we got to Disney and bought a stroller for DD. When we were done with it, we gave it to a family standing by the stroller rental place. We didn't want to drag it home with us and it was cheaper than renting one. The family said they would pay it forward. :)

Nice letter. I hope it gets their attention.

I know that I will be flamed for saying this, but the stroller thing in WDW has gotten out of hand. When I was a kid and first went to WDW, I was 4 and I had to WALK the entire day. Yes, I had to walk and, NO, it wasn't up hill both ways.

IMO (notice that I left out the "H" for humble), parents need to get a grip and have their kids walk around. I honestly think that 1/2 of the strollers in WDW are for crazy parents who feel like they need to bring the kitchen sink to the parks in their backpacks but decide that the backpack is too heavy. So perhaps WDW is trying to cut back on that?

I brought some newbies in 2006 with a 4 year old boy. They rented strollers each day and the boy didn't even want to ride in it. He wanted to push it! So I can attest to the fact that parents tend to get the strollers just in case the kids want to nap. However, maybe if the child is too tired to walk and starts flailing around, you should take that as a hint that you should go back to your resort and have a nap.

*dons flame-retardant suit*

I have to agree with you, Stacy. While I don't have kids (Heaven forbid that happens in the next decade), I totally agree with you last paragraph.

While I completely agree with your complaint and agree that the price increase is completely ridiculous, I would have gone about this letter a different way.

I'm of a mind that you catch more flies with honey. I know that if I got a complaint letter filled with yelling (caps), minor insults, and mild curse words, I would probably pass it off. If, however, I received an email with calm arguments for why a person disagrees with a change, I'd take the time to read it and do something about it.

Agree here too. To the OP, was that the exact message you sent Disney? I know you're ticked off at Disney that they raised the prices, but that letter seemed very, VERY harsh. I would want to help people with the problem, but if I was treated like that, I would simply ignore it. As GBShorts said, writing a clear letter that states your thoughts in a calm manner will get you much farther in your quest.

Agree here too. To the OP, was that the exact message you sent Disney? I know you're ticked off at Disney that they raised the prices, but that letter seemed very, VERY harsh. I would want to help people with the problem, but if I was treated like that, I would simply ignore it. As GBShorts said, writing a clear letter that states your thoughts in a calm manner will get you much farther in your quest.

I'm a consumerist fan. They have a very good guide to writing letters of complaint here.

Another favorite tactic of the Consumerist website is to launch an Executive E-mail carpet bomb. That might be an interesting tactic here.

This whole thing is not about strollers. It's about hubris. To impose such a substantial price increase on a relatively low-cost item that directly affects Disney's smallest guests is nothing less than an insult. It is Disney holding up its four-fingered, white-gloved hand and extending the equivalent of a middle finger at its guests because it believes that those guests will just keep coming back for more. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

That is why people are so upset. We've been insulted, even if our kids are well past stroller age.

My kids are past the normal stroller age. Last August I got a double for them (aged 4 and 6 at the time). I swear that stroller saved us many a melt-down in the sweltering heat (and we were never in the park during the afternoon). I would like to rent my now 5 year old child a stroller this year but with the price increase I've looked into buying one. The problem is that he is a bit too big for your ordinary umbrella stroller. I hate to buy him a nicer one because I plan to ditch it. So I'm left in a quandry. I may have to make him walk and factor in numerous melt-downs as well as a reduced rate of speed which will affect our touring plan.

I found a place that sells used disney strollers on ebay. They fold up and are made of material not the hard plastic. I think I might just buy one and have it shipped directly to my hotel room.

This whole thing is not about strollers. It's about hubris. To impose such a substantial price increase on a relatively low-cost item that directly affects Disney's smallest guests is nothing less than an insult. It is Disney holding up its four-fingered, white-gloved hand and extending the equivalent of a middle finger at its guests because it believes that those guests will just keep coming back for more. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

That is why people are so upset. We've been insulted, even if our kids are well past stroller age.

Where is the standing ovation smilie?!

EXCELLENT POST, Very well said and exactly right! :thumbsup2

I brought some newbies in 2006 with a 4 year old boy. They rented strollers each day and the boy didn't even want to ride in it. He wanted to push it! So I can attest to the fact that parents tend to get the strollers just in case the kids want to nap. However, maybe if the child is too tired to walk and starts flailing around, you should take that as a hint that you should go back to your resort and have a nap.

No flames from me, but honestly, you can't gauge the situation based your one experience with one child. Basically the only fact you can attest to, is that one set of parents rented a stroller "just in case." All children are different. You could have just as easily been with a child who really needed that stroller to make it through a long day that involves lots of walking in Florida heat.

What about the child safety factor? I feel much better knowing my child is in the stroller and safely in my view than in the huge crowds after parades or fireworks. A stroller drastically reduces the chances of my child getting lost in the crowd.

In the August heat I thought of renting a wheel chair for me. What a minute.... maybe a wheelchair is cheaper? Could I rent one of those for my child instead?

While I completely agree with your complaint and agree that the price increase is completely ridiculous, I would have gone about this letter a different way.

I'm of a mind that you catch more flies with honey. I know that if I got a complaint letter filled with yelling (caps), minor insults, and mild curse words, I would probably pass it off. If, however, I received an email with calm arguments for why a person disagrees with a change, I'd take the time to read it and do something about it.

Don't take this wrong. I agree the price increases are crazy.

I also agree with the person above who said something about too many people getting strollers to lug their c'rap, too though. It makes it very hard for those without strollers to "get through" sometimes when they're stuck in a herd of wheels.

I agree.....I as a little ventful.

I am not trying to light an already tender flame, but until you see a child go face down over a Mickey Bar, or that the ride they want to go on is on the other side of the parks and you are asking them to walk it, there is no way you can appreciate a FULL meltdown. Parents on vacation will go to any lengths to avoid them. For a variety of reasons, a few of which:

We deal with them all the time at home, and yes we are experiencing a form of Vacation delusion in that we have seen one too many Disney commercials. But truth be told we will do anything to avoid them while on vacation, b/c 90% of the time the last thing we want to do is deal with this in front of 15,000 strangers.

We have spent the equivalent to half a years mortgage payments on this vacation and guess what, we would like everyone to have a good time. A fit in the under 6 set can occur in the AM when the child is fully rested, through the 3 o'clock parade, to Wishes. ANYTIME. These are kids, and yes no matter how well behaved or raised they will meltdown on a dime. Even when you do take the aforementioned break, trying to get a tired child back to sleep after jostling them through mass transit, is a miracle that almost never happens.

A stroller is really not an option to parents when you have several :rolleyes1 (Yes, I know what makes that happen) under the age of 6 who will both go opposite ways in an instant. Sure, you can try and instill in them safety, stranger danger, etc. But this is DISNEY, to them it is one giant playground. Though as parents we can see every opportunity for our child to disappear.

I have to agree with you, Stacy. While I don't have kids (Heaven forbid that happens in the next decade), I totally agree with you last paragraph.

i will send an apology letter in the morning. still stating my anger but in a more civilized way.....................NOT....i apologized. ahead of time at the beginning and they deserve more in my opinion...they keep taking advantage.....when will it stop!

maybe Disney is going to open a stroller rental place near by, but not use the Disney name... that way they make even more money when everyone turns to them :confused3

I would be VERY upset if I needed a stroller, that increase is pretty high :scared1:

I honestly think this is as much about reducing the Disney stroller fleet as it is about milking a few more dollars from parents. I can see strollers being a real pain to Disney in maintenance, liability and in crowd control during the day.

I strongly suggest that if you feel that Disney has overpriced stroller rental (I would agree with that), you should not use them. You can almost certainly buy a stroller for less than the cost of a week’s rental. The only problem is that I think that might be exactly what Disney wants in this situation.

On the flip side, which of Disney’s price increases/benefit reductions has had any of the negative impact that some here have predicted at various times? They continue to have great attendance levels despite the fact that it costs more and more each year. No matter how ridiculous the new stroller pricing is, it is certainly possible that the cost might get lost in the sea of overpriced items at Disney. You aren’t going to find too many things at Disney that AREN’T ridiculously priced by most reasonable standards. I can see a lot of people shrugging and paying for it because they EXPECT to spend atrocious amounts of money at Disney.

I guess my general rule of thumb is: If you don’t think it’s worth it, don’t buy it. It’s the only chance you have of actually getting any of these things to change. I think that the new DDP is a big ripoff. I, therefore, chose not to purchase it for my upcoming vacation. Strollers were a bit of a ripoff before, and it is substantially worse now. That is why I bought a stroller to use at the World. I do save money by buying an AP, but if that ever changes I won’t do that any more either. Complaining isn’t going to do much good if Disney sees that there are still just as many people (or more) buying the product. Those numbers mean far more to them than any email.

ding ding ding... we have a winner!! I couldn't agree more!

What about the child safety factor? I feel much better knowing my child is in the stroller and safely in my view than in the huge crowds after parades or fireworks. A stroller drastically reduces the chances of my child getting lost in the crowd.
QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel. Sure my oldest, which will have just turned 5 on our next trip, will be able to walk. And no we wont need the stroller all day but I do need to have one sometimes. Have you ever tried to shop in some of the World Showcase stores with a 2 and 4 yr old running around. I feel like I have good parenting skills and my children are well behaved but I know I am excited for the whole 10 days and how am I going to expect toddlers to be calm and stand still while I look around. If I can put them in the stroller and tell them to sit still they are much less distracted. Also, a 4-5 yr old does not want to hold your hand for 10 days straight, but in crowds they can easily get seperated as you rush for Soarin with "the running of the bulls" at rope drop. It is undeniably safer to have them in a stoller at these times. ANd in the rain?!? if I spend 10-15% of our yearly income on our family vacation I want dont want to have to leave before fireworks because my chid cant stay awake any longer (and I can not carry my 5 yr old for more then a few min).
We took a sit and stand last year, but we all got the flu and on our last day the kids wanted to rest but DH and I had never been to the Food and Wine Festival (it opened on our last couple days). We rented a double stroller because it was more comfortable then our sit and stand for my oldest (the sit and stand doesnt have a back to the second seat) They loved it and it was soooooo much easier to push. So we decided we would rent on this next trip and save the hassel on the buses.
If they think they are going to save congestion I think they have it wrong because now we will probably rent 2 singles. That is cheaper then a double, seems like that will lead to even more congestion.

I've read several posts that say "If you don't like, don't rent a stroller. Hit them in the pocketbook." and I agree with that, but I also think you should email too. I think Disney really needs to see how many people are upset. I think they need to know that it isn't only people with small children who are upset. Maybe they won't care, but I still think an email can't hurt. I don't need a stroller in the parks anymore, so I can't "protest" by not renting one. I am still upset by this though and I want Disney to know it.

Well I just sent an email too. I am a little slow but realized that our 2 ECV rentals from Disney will run us $780 for the week. Off site will be about $480 which is a huge difference. I guess they prefer us really clogging up the bus system with loading 2 ECV's on buses and now our gg cant ride together because I dont think the buses can hold 2 ECV's. This is really just making me a little nutso. Taking the grandparents is hard enough without having to deal with all this too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter