I Feel Like Disney's 100th Anniversary Is Ruined

{Sorry this is so long again … I tried to break it up, and use colors and italics, bolding, and underlines to make it more readable— I hope it worked. 🤩}
I mean the pandemic ruined Disneyland’s 65th Anniversary. The pandemic partly ruined WDW’s 50th Anniversary, and now the Hollywood strikers, the critics, and the grifting YouTubers ruined Disney’s 100 Years of Wonder. I feel like maybe Disney should cancel Disneyland’s 70th anniversary and ickey Mouse’s 100th Anniversary because I fear that future disasters may come and ruined it again. I don’t know.
I said this in my previous post but I think it bears repeating, because it was a lot to read and maybe you missed it … especially the part in red.

There is always something going on somewhere in the world— By your logic, Disneyland should’ve just stayed closed and never reopened at all after the pandemic…:confused3 because what if something bad happens again? What if, what if, what if??? You can’t live your life worried about the what if’s….

It’s like if you twisted your ankle getting out of the car on your way to have an awesome birthday dinner at your favorite restaurant… and because that happened, you decide that no one in your family can ever celebrate another birthday— EVER! Because what if something happens again? Actually, it’s probably better to just never, ever go out to eat again at all either, right? Why risk it?

Sounds silly, doesn’t it? But it’s really the same thing as what you said.
Would you really think to never eat out again or to completely stop celebrating anyone’s birthday just because you had an injury one time?

It’s exactly what you’re suggesting when you say that all of the upcoming milestone events should be cancelled after a single event had to be called off during the pandemic—

You are suggesting that because Disneyland’s 65th Anniversary was cancelled, Disney should never, ever have another Miilestone Celebration.

Do you really believe that?
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
Here’s an real example from my own life:

In 1987, my mother died on Christmas Day— it was so terrible. Then in 2011, I was hospitalized due to an emergency just 2 days before Christmas, with no chance I was going to be discharged before the New Year.

Now, after those
two awful, traumatic events tied to the Holiday — should I just stop celebrating Christmas completely? I definitely have some really sucky memories forever tied to decorated
🎄pine [/SIZE]trees, Santa 🎅🏻, and other holiday regalia. Because this, should my children never be allowed to visit Santa at the mall, or help decorate our tree?
Of course not!

Each time, we grieved, sure. But then we stood up, LOOKED FORWARD, and said “Ok, let’s look for the next good thing.”
[/SIZE]
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
As far as Disney goes:
Maybe we should just close all the parks? I mean, as long as they’re open, something *could* happen to make them have to close again. The only way to be absolutely certain that never happens, is to just board up the gates.

And while we’re at it, I suppose Disney Animation should probably just close their doors and stop making new movies altogether. After all, the next one might actually be bad. What if you hate it?

Does that sound ridiculous? Of course it does!!

The truth is that there’s just no reason to get so worked up over a movie that has only been in theaters for a very short time. It’s way, way too soon to say whether WISH 💫 ultimately will do well. A lot of movies are slow to pick up steam in the post-pandemic world. Overall, fewer people go to movie theaters since the pandemic. My husband & I haven’t been to a movie theaters since Covid, and I honestly don’t know if we’ll ever set foot in one again. So far, there’s nothing we’ve wanted to see so urgently that we haven’t been willing to wait for it to be available for streaming.

But why should "Disney should cancel Disneyland's 70th Anniversary and Mickey Mouse's 100th Anniversary since those two might get interrupted like what happen to Disneyland's 65th Anniversary, WDW's 50th Anniversary, and Disney's 100th Anniversary."? None of those things have anything to do with Disneyland's 65th or 70th Anniversary or the 50th at WDW. Plus the writers strike is over. And how do YouTubers ruin anything? Overall, very few people even watch YouTubers. This doesn't make sense.

I absolutely agree.

@TsWade2, I still don’t understand why you think WDW50 or D100 were interrupted? :confused:
Hopefully the following will help clarify the event timing for you.

WDW 50th Anniversary — the parks re-opened well before the celebration got underway… and it ran for the full 18 months it was scheduled for. As a matter of fact, Disney purposely made the decision to run for 18 months specifically because of the pandemic closures. Typically, past Celebration Events run for 12-15 months. So not only was there no interruption, it ran longer than what is typically expected. :scratchin

We were there about halfway thru the event. Of course, the Magic Kingdom was beautifully transformed with the Gold and Ear-idescent details and decor on Cindy’s Castle. We all thought that Disney did an excellent job with the gold statues placed around all the parks. Except at Epcot :worried: … there, the statues were a little less obvious, simply because we were there during Food & Wine. All the extra booths and stuff throughout the park, in addition to all the construction at the front of the park, seemed to obscure much of the 50th Anniversary decor.

Disney100 — The 100 Years of Wonder celebration did run for less than 1 full year at Disneyland— but that was the full scheduled duration. Officially, the celebration ran from late January to late October 2023– so 9 months. (And apparently from October to December at WDW.) It was not impacted in any way by the “writer’s strike”. I actually didn’t know anything about it until later when I heard it had ended— that’s how much of a non-issue it was in the parks. 🤦‍♀️

Given that there was NO special event planned or held on the actual anniversary— Oct 16th— it kinda seemed like Disney just wasn’t that into it anymore by that point. My theory is that someone at Disney decided it was dumb to have a giant Anniversary Event to basically close out the entire celebration… and I actually kinda get that. If they had gone all out, with all sorts of pageantry, etc on October 16th, I think most people would’ve been expecting that the event was just kicking off. When in reality, it was winding down— it was honestly all but over at that point.

We were at DL in October. We got to see Sleeping Beauty Castle with all the beautiful D100 decorations (seeing Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather holding up the D100 swag and medallion was a very nice touch, I thought.) But the best thing we did was the Disney100 Years of Wonder Guided Tour. Our CM tour guide, Murray, was awesome. He really did a wonderful job of telling the story of “Disney’s first 100 years” and talked about looking forward to what’s to come in the next 100 years. We really enjoyed it.

Could Disney have done more with these events? Sure… Compared to pre-pandemic Milestone Celebrations these two events were weak. But I chose to just enjoy the atmosphere and the knowledge that I WAS THERE! I bought some souvenirs, took photographs, and made memories.

I think it’s up to us to make our own happiness. It’s ok to be disappointed that some event (or movie) isn’t what you expected. But if you choose to wallow in that disappointment THATS ON YOU!! You are an adult… therefore, YOU are in control of your reactions to things around you. You can choose to be happy and enjoy the good that is there (even if it’s less than what you wanted) OR you can choose to be upset, allowing the negative thoughts to fester. Ultimately the second choice hurts only you (and those who care about you to an extent).

MAKE YOUR OWN HAPPINESS! Stop with the “doom & gloom”. Stop looking forward to the next catastrophe that hasn’t happened yet and maybe never will. Start finding ways to enjoy WISH 💫Is there a child in your life that you can take to go see it? Watch their reactions to the movie… See their joy and how they’ll tell everyone how good it is. Take out your phone and capture that on video. Then when you’re tempted to look at the crap on YouTube, pull out the video of the child’s reaction instead. LET YOURSELF BE HAPPY!! Right now. In this moment.

Stop worrying about a tomorrow that may never come.

Last edited:
Let's challenge your thoughts. Let's not spiral.

The strike impacted the 100th anniversary.
Not true.
The strike was from Mid-July to early November.
The 100th anniversary preparations started long before the strike started. Officially it started on October 16th, 2023, but they probably have been preparing for this anniversary for over a year, maybe even longer. What they decided to do in terms of merchandise, Once upon a Studio, etc. that has been long in the works. The strike didn't reduce that.

Wish being the 100th year anniversary movie started in 2018. And while they might not have been able to do all the promotion for the movie that they wanted due to the strike... That didn't impact why some people do not like Wish. More promotion would not have solved that.

Critics hate Wish:
Not true. Reframe your thoughts: SOME critics hate Wish
Would it help to actually read the reviews critics are giving Wish? A lot of them do not hate the movie. There are probably only a few who truly didn't like it, but that is balanced out with some who loved it and others who thought it was a middle of the road movie.

The reviews aren't as black and white as you make it out to be. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wish_2023/reviews
Click on the ones that have a red tomato and not a green blob, there are plenty of reviewers that liked it. Maybe not a hit, but not necessarily a flop.

Keep in mind: There are plenty of movies critics didn't like, but audiences love. And vice versa.

People on youtube want Disney to fail:
Might be true for some, but probably not all.
I am not sure who you are watching, but I do not believe that this is the case. I do think a lot of people are disappointed with Disney over Wish. People wanted Disney to succeed. People were rooting for Disney to have a win, because they love Disney, they are nostalgic over Disney. And that makes the feeling of disappointment bigger, but that's not the same as rooting for Disney to fail.

Keep in mind: People tend to be much more vocal about why they do not like something and go into great detail about it than people who are positive. That's how feedback works.
People are much more likely to send in a complaint to a company than a compliment.

Wish is not doing well at the box office:
True, definitely not as well as Disney might like, but that doesn't have to be a problem.
If people get a Disney + account to watch Wish, or keep their account for months to watch Wish, this can bring in more money than people watching it at the theatres.

Box office numbers are not as sacred anymore since there are streaming services.
It will all depend on how it will do on Disney +, but we will never see those numbers, because Disney doesn't publish those. We can see popularity in other ways, for example merchandise at Disney parks or Disney stores. If they keep restocking Wish merchandise for the coming months, then there is a fanbase.
If Asha is a popular character to meet at Disney parks, there is a need for her to stay in the parks.

These two things can indicate that Wish is doing well on Disney + or is a movie people like.

CONCLUSION:
Disney's 100th anniversary is not ruined because of these things.

Last edited:
I guess my doom and gloom moment got the best out of me.😢
Yes, it did. It happens. Now to go on with your life.

It is a skill to challenge one's thoughts to prevent spiralling or to get out of a spiral. But it a skill one can learn.
My tips:
  1. Write down a list everything that is making you spiral.

2. Use bullet points, one thought per bullet point.

3. If you spiral back to a thought you had before, do not write a new bullet point, but add a mark with the first bullet point
    This makes it visible which thought is bothering you the most.

4. Once your list is complete, put it away for a moment and go do something else.
    - Something that completely takes your mind of the list.
    - Whether it's cleaning, going for a walk, watch tv, etc. everything is fine, as long as it's not something that makes you spiral again.
    Example: You said that people on Youtube want Disney to fail, do not go to Youtube and look at these videos.

5. After your break go back to your list and individually look at each thought and think:
    - Is this objectively true?
    - Can I find sources that contradict this belief?
    - "I say everything is ruined / everyone is against Disney", is it indeed everything & everyone?
    Try to find nuance.
    Actively look for the complete opposite of your thought
    Example: "All critics hate Wish", focus on all the critics that liked Wish. Do not go looking for what confirms your belief.
If one paper with a long list of thoughts is overwhelming, write your bullet points on different papers, like flash cards. This helps only looking at one thought per time.

Final advice: LEARNING THIS TAKES TIME! You will not succeed immediately, that doesn't make you a failure, it makes you human. Step back and have an objective look at those thoughts as well ;-)

Yes, it did. It happens. Now to go on with your life.

It is a skill to challenge one's thoughts to prevent spiralling or to get out of a spiral. But it a skill one can learn.
My tips:
  1. Write down a list everything that is making you spiral.

2. Use bullet points, one thought per bullet point.

3. If you spiral back to a thought you had before, do not write a new bullet point, but add a mark with the first bullet point
    This makes it visible which thought is bothering you the most.

4. Once your list is complete, put it away for a moment and go do something else.
    - Something that completely takes your mind of the list.
    - Whether it's cleaning, going for a walk, watch tv, etc. everything is fine, as long as it's not something that makes you spiral again.
    Example: You said that people on Youtube want Disney to fail, do not go to Youtube and look at these videos.

5. After your break go back to your list and individually look at each thought and think:
    - Is this objectively true?
    - Can I find sources that contradict this belief?
    - "I say everything is ruined / everyone is against Disney", is it indeed everything & everyone?
    Try to find nuance.
    Actively look for the complete opposite of your thought
    Example: "All critics hate Wish", focus on all the critics that liked Wish. Do not go looking for what confirms your belief.
If one paper with a long list of thoughts is overwhelming, write your bullet points on different papers, like flash cards. This helps only looking at one thought per time.

Final advice: LEARNING THIS TAKES TIME! You will not succeed immediately, that doesn't make you a failure, it makes you human. Step back and have an objective look at those thoughts as well ;-)
I’m still watching YouTube to be entertained. I don’t listen to these hating losers anymore.

@Karin1984 Wow! What an amazing post. Well thought out, compassionate and direct.

I will sometimes say "Post of the day, Cheers" but in this case I say, Post of the week, Cheers x2!

Hi guys, just to let you know that I decided to finally trying to get rid of my stupid doom and gloom behavior and tried to be positive cautiously optimistic for the future of Disney. I’m still worried for Disney, especially for Walt Disney Animation Studios, but I’m doing the best I can to get out of this doom and gloom nonsense.:flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter