I finally get why people walk reservations. Disappointed.

SSR has really grown on me. When it was first built, it had that "McMansions on a moonscape" vibe. But, as the landscaping has grown in it's become a much nicer spot. I suspect I also had to stay at it once as well to really "get it" because the feeling it invokes is subtle. Many of the other DVC resorts hit you over the head with "Hey! This is a Thing!" Even OKW is contsantly whispering "island time" but it's a loud get-your-attention whisper.

SSR, in contrast, seems to give me "quietly sophisticated," and I find it relaxing. It has some of the best walking paths outside of the Fort Wilderness area, and unlike OKW has the advantage that the buildings are usually between the paths and the internal roads of the resort. The Paddock pool area improvements also made a big difference, and I think the new room design is great.

I'm a different-drummer sort of DVC guest in lots of ways. I want my resort to be a respite from the hustle and bustle of the theme parks. So while I have really enjoyed my BCV, BWV, and BLT stays, they don't quite hit that particular note, tough the upper-floor BLT lake views in the central-arm of the inner C come pretty close. In contrast I get the sense that most other guests want to be as close to one of the parks as possible, which ends up being a big mark against SSR, OKW, and AKV.

Taking that a step further, SSR might be the ideal "no parks" trip. My last visit was two weeks, but during the period when WDW was not selling Annual Passes. So I bought a 10 day PHP and threw on a Sea World pass, but spent quite a few days mostly hanging out at the resort, ducking over to Disney Springs for dinner.
My initial plan was to own at SSR so my wife and I could vacation in January after MLK Day. We would stay at SSR and spend most of our time at Disney Springs and the resort itself.

My granddaughter changed that plan so for the next 10 or so years we will use our points to book in August at various resorts. We will try to book near a park while she is young. I would expect by her teen years we will have her bring a friend and she can leave her old grandparents at SSR while they navigate WDW.

I also enjoyed the quiet nature of SSR, how far my points go in a two bedroom, and I have only stayed there once. I’ve had no trouble booking brv, Polynesian, BLT lv at 7 months in my short time as a member. I want to try every resort. I bought BLT as I feel I’ll have little problem completing a week stay there using my SSR points at 7 months for LV. I book trips exactly at 11 & 7 months. Now I can place 4 waitlists if needed.
Edit: this is to say that I’ve bought where I don’t mind staying and would be terribly disappointed to have to walk at 11 months. I haven’t had to walk but in the future, when I’m traveling without my kids, I want to walk back to my room after at BLT a holiday party, so I purchased it as my second home resort.

Last edited:

Just to close the loop on this, if anyone is interested, I was ultimately able to get the rooms I wanted through a lot of stalking.

But still don’t like walking :)
Glad you go it. In the long run, perhaps stalking is more effective for many reservations than walking!! I know it's worked for us some years.... Enjoy your trip....!

I am glad to hear stalking worked. I wish there was a better solution to the situation but happy to hear you did get what you wanted.

I was fortunate to have enough points that I could borrow and book a (resort) studio with an "improved" view for a larger number of points.

For someone with fewer total points to work with, this could have meant the difference between getting a room and not.
I know you ended up getting the room type you wanted and I’m glad you did but there is definitely a benefit to owning more points just for the flexibility of room type, or even walking as despised as it is on here. Unfortunately we’re dealing with people who do try to book out every single value/club level studio for example to rent their points for profit. Owning more points allows you to walk the full week out whereas if you had less points, it’s more likely that someone with a fixed week will interrupt your walk at 11 months if you can only hold a few nights at a time.

But this is why we tell people to get enough points for at least a preferred view or 1BR so you’re not disappointed. Regardless, enjoy your trip :)

I know you ended up getting the room type you wanted and I’m glad you did but there is definitely a benefit to owning more points just for the flexibility of room type, or even walking as despised as it is on here. Unfortunately we’re dealing with people who do try to book out every single value/club level studio for example to rent their points for profit. Owning more points allows you to walk the full week out whereas if you had less points, it’s more likely that someone with a fixed week will interrupt your walk at 11 months if you can only hold a few nights at a time.

But this is why we tell people to get enough points for at least a preferred view or 1BR so you’re not disappointed. Regardless, enjoy your trip :)
I think I have more than the average bear, but I’m not in the 1000 point club for sure

There is something truly gratifying about 'stalking' a reservation to completion.
This morning I logged into the website at 7:45a and all the inexpensive villas were available. I selected book at 8a and the site said I was too early to refresh. Upon refreshment all the cheapy villas were gone. LOL

I booked a studio and WL'd my AK-J value 1Br for the same time. We'll see what happens. My version of "What What Happens Live" but without Andy Cohen.

Had the same unfortunate experience this morning. Anything else like ADRs or virtual queues, it never prompts me to refresh. By that time you’re screwed.

There is something truly gratifying about 'stalking' a reservation to completion.
This morning I logged into the website at 7:45a and all the inexpensive villas were available. I selected book at 8a and the site said I was too early to refresh. Upon refreshment all the cheapy villas were gone. LOL
At 8:00:00 did you hit "check availability" or "continue". They system now caches when you checked availability. If you hit select "check availability" at 7:59:50 and wait till 8:10:00 to hit "continue", you will still get "too early refresh". You have to wait till 8:00:00 to hit "check availability".

Had the same unfortunate experience this morning. Anything else like ADRs or virtual queues, it never prompts me to refresh. By that time you’re screwed.

You can no longer check availability until 8 am. You used to be able to get to the screen with the calendars that showed all the room types and wait and hit "book".

Now, you have to stay on the page that says "Check availabilty"

You can no longer check availability until 8 am. You used to be able to get to the screen with the calendars that showed all the room types and wait and hit "book".

Now, you have to stay on the page that says "Check availabilty"
Makes sense. I hit continue.

I booked a studio and WL'd my AK-J value 1Br for the same time. We'll see what happens. My version of "What What Happens Live" but without Andy Cohen.
I hope you get your wish!

I was able to get a Value 1BR booked this morning. I had noticed they were being walked so you probably have a good chance of getting it. We're still deciding if we want the first week or second week of Dec so mine might end up showing up. Good luck!

I'm super nervous about this for our December 2025 trip to VGC. We only have 160 points. And it's resale so there are literally no other on-site options for us. Early December is one of our top favorite times to go so if we aren't able to book a room there at 11-months, that's going to make our contract less valuable to us than we had hoped.

I'm super nervous about this for our December 2025 trip to VGC. We only have 160 points. And it's resale so there are literally no other on-site options for us. Early December is one of our top favorite times to go so if we aren't able to book a room there at 11-months, that's going to make our contract less valuable to us than we had hoped.
It's a long ways off, but I hope it works out for you. The availability tables seem pretty positive at 11 months for the studio.

I don't think VGC follows the same booming patterns as the resorts in WDW. You should be able to book there for early December without a problem.

the problem with VGC is the limited number of rooms, like less than 50 rooms. If you don’t get a studio, go for the one bedroom for less nights and waitlist.

I missed out this morning. 7:55, the room was there at BLT 8:00and few seconds, gone. I was trying for a standard 1 bedroom. Everything but the first day was available. I did book a lakeview studio and put in wait list for the 1 bedroom. I'll still look, but this is just in case health issues don't stop us, don't want to spent hours stalking.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter