I finally get why people walk reservations. Disappointed.

I missed out this morning. 7:55, the room was there at BLT 8:00and few seconds, gone. I was trying for a standard 1 bedroom. Everything but the first day was available. I did book a lakeview studio and put in wait list for the 1 bedroom. I'll still look, but this is just in case health issues don't stop us, don't want to spent hours stalking.
Sadly that’s become the norm for DVC. The spoils go to those who put time into stalking or walking reservations. Either you do that or you accept paying for preferred views/less desirable booking categories. I don’t mind doing the legwork but I’ll admit its been somewhat of a pain.

Sadly that’s become the norm for DVC. The spoils go to those who put time into stalking or walking reservations. Either you do that or you accept paying for preferred views/less desirable booking categories. I don’t mind doing the legwork but I’ll admit its been somewhat of a pain.
I'm hoping the days pop up at the time go by.

I missed out this morning. 7:55, the room was there at BLT 8:00and few seconds, gone. I was trying for a standard 1 bedroom. Everything but the first day was available. I did book a lakeview studio and put in wait list for the 1 bedroom. I'll still look, but this is just in case health issues don't stop us, don't want to spent hours stalking.
All the standards at BLT seem to be walked. I think they are moving into later Dec but I could be wrong. I looked at all the low point rooms across properties and today was pretty much gone at nearly every premium resort. I like scoring the standards but have come to appreciate some of the lake views.

All the standards at BLT seem to be walked. I think they are moving into later Dec but I could be wrong. I looked at all the low point rooms across properties and today was pretty much gone at nearly every premium resort. I like scoring the standards but have come to appreciate some of the lake views.
People want it especially at BLT for the MVMCP dates so they can just walk back to their room afterwards and I don't really blame them.

But also, same regarding the lake views. We stayed at BLT lake view and I found it to be quite nice. Having nearly a theme park view helped with that but I would've liked it regardless I'm sure. Definitely don't have any problems using our points at BLT in the future.

We once had a gorgeous lake view. Next time, our lake view was on the inside of the C, if you looked through the trees, past the pool, oh look, there's the lake. Last time we what we consider a great view....the north shore....sit left, look right - lake, sit right, look left, fireworks, look down parking lot.

We didn't care, we thought it was way better than the pool view time.

I also wish DVC would do something to prevent this. I'm just not sure how they could.
Limit to 2 modifications of an existing reservation, after the 2nd change (eg 3 chances to get it right), you need to cancel the reservation (freeing up all the days) and create a new one. This would significantly cut down on the ability to block dates through the walk process.

Limit to 2 modifications of an existing reservation, after the 2nd change (eg 3 chances to get it right), you need to cancel the reservation (freeing up all the days) and create a new one. This would significantly cut down on the ability to block dates through the walk process.

And completely change the nature of the program for those who need to change things that have nothing to do with walking.

Having said that, if DVC wants to make the program more restrictive and add penalties, they have the right to do it. But, I’d bet a lot that the membership as a whole would not see it as a good thing.

Many people make more than 2 modifications just in normal bookings, not walking. Adding more than 7 nights at 7/11 months, changing the start and /or end dates for flights/schedules, piecing a reservation together as nights come available, etc.

Just pick a bad use year like December and you never have to worry about it because Christmas is already being walked by the time December 1 hits and Thanksgiving is after our banking deadline so summer vaca for us unless a waitlist for December comes thru 🤣🤣🤣.
Not sure I see the issue since everyone can do it, only an issue if your use year sucks like mine 😢

On the broader note of VGF, I know there was lots of commentary a year ago how the resort studios were easy to get or messing up the ratio, etc etc.

Definitely not the case anymore, I think that was strictly an issue of BPK getting over eagerly declared and having extra inventory. VGF seems to be back to its old ways. At least for this key December window.

Somehow, despite being one of those who likes the resorts studios more, I’m having an easier time stalking with the old standard deluxe studios. Maybe those are being walked more and the resorts are just being booked up more earnestly at the 11mo window by non walkers?

Just pick a bad use year like December and you never have to worry about it because Christmas is already being walked by the time December 1 hits and Thanksgiving is after our banking deadline so summer vaca for us unless a waitlist for December comes thru 🤣🤣🤣.
Not sure I see the issue since everyone can do it, only an issue if your use year sucks like mine 😢
If I learned anything from my research before buying, it was:
1. Pick a UY as close as possible to expected travel time
2. Buy where you want to stay

We love GF and also always travel on December so thought a December UY would be perfect…

Definitely had to join the walking hordes to be safe for this upcoming December trip, but really not sure how successful I’ll be, and even worse how I’d fare in the years to come. The margin for error is tiny. In hindsight I wish I picked an October or September UY where a walk can be started much earlier.
I also wish we went with a less competitive home resort which is basically any of them really! Didn’t realize how misleading last year’s historical availability numbers were early enough (fully declared yet not close to sold out).

Silver lining with December UY is plenty of supply and would assume better pricing in resale. So would assume it’d be easier to find a nice add-on in the future to have more points that are also hard to use for a December trip 😂

We love GF and also always travel on December so thought a December UY would be perfect…
Unfortunately this was our dilemma as well since my wife is a teacher so our vacations follow a school calendar. We knew October would be optimal for the very hard to get Copper Creek Christmas vacation, our home resort, but the October banking deadline didn’t align with the summer months. Since we vacation more often then not between June and July then November and December we went with the better summer banking window. And the hope of maybe a CCV miracle waitlist here and there in December 🙏

Definitely had to join the walking hordes to be safe for this upcoming December trip, but really not sure how successful I’ll be, and even worse how I’d fare in the years to come. The margin for error is tiny. In hindsight I wish I picked an October or September UY where a walk can be started much earlier.
We got somewhat lucky and were initially assigned August by our DVC Guide on the ship (no discussion of any options at time of purchase 🙄) which works well for our fall trips—by the time we were looking for resale, we became educated here and ruled out December because we often travel over Thanksgiving and wanted the flexibility to book late Nov into Dec. I would have picked Oct/Nov if it was available, but now I’m glad I have BCV in September because I suspect as it is increasingly owned by die hard fans (like me) and for profit rental agencies in the final decade, it’s going to get walked further and further out for the holidays—though by 2035, it’s possible people could start walking in June/July/August. 😬

This is us! And small contracts at CCV make it impossible to book in Dec. lol

ETA: And the worst is when that first weekend in Dec includes November. So I have two reservations and risk pulling in points.

And with UY in general, our habits have changed over time. Dec was perfect for us once. Now it’s not but this past year and next, we are back in Dec.

looks like every room type is gone by a minute or two past 7 in Dec for GF this year. Last year the resort studio rooms were not in this much demand. As new owners gain experience December will become increasingly difficult over the ensuing decades. Disney should institute a lottery system to prevent walking or rebalance the points again.

I've been trying to get a standard studio at BLT. 4 days, 4 tries, 4 defeats. Just don't understand how people do it. I know it's a matter of nanoseconds, but boy someone has a fast computer.

looks like every room type is gone by a minute or two past 7 in Dec for GF this year. Last year the resort studio rooms were not in this much demand. As new owners gain experience December will become increasingly difficult over the ensuing decades. Disney should institute a lottery system to prevent walking or rebalance the points again.
They need to raise the cost of rooms in December and decrease it during the summer. Even the most difficult to book resorts usually have availability during the summer because nobody wants to deal with Florida heat but that is absolutely the reason why it should cost even less on the point charts.

They need to raise the cost of rooms in December and decrease it during the summer. Even the most difficult to book resorts usually have availability during the summer because nobody wants to deal with Florida heat but that is absolutely the reason why it should cost even less on the point charts.
THIS!

Early/mid-December also has one of the highest rack rate :: points ratios, further supporting your 'raise the points of rooms in December' as they've already been adjusting on the cash side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter