I hate mobility scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actully, I hate strollers and I have three kids. Families need them. Heck, I needed them. I still think they're a PITA even though they're usefuk and I can understand why someone would feel similarly about an ECV, especially if they've been run over a few times.

Unfortunately this is so true...as with many areas of life, it's the relatively few who cause problems with poor behavior or attitudes. The majority of people utilizing mobility aids are careful, responsible, respectful. One would hope we can all be accepting of others.
The majority of careful, responsible and respectful users are apparently not in a Disney park on any given day. Haven't we all seen babies being held on laps with 1 hand while the other hand attempts to steer a handlebar meant for 2 hands, children standing between legs and driving for the adult, texting while driving an ECV, taking pictures off to the side while the ECV continues forward, ECVs driven around blind corners faster than a walking speed where they have no chance to stop if someone is in the walkway due to that speed. I mostly go to DLR where walkways are narrow and sudden veering if ECVs due to kids on laps or texting is guaranteed to hit someone in the walkway. If Disney were able to crack down on unsafe operation then maybe people would have less animosity towards the safe and responsible operators, but until that happens those of us who have been hit or injured through no fault of our own are wise to treat all ECVs as potentially hazardous for our own safety.

Many people truly need them, it is just a shame when others abuse things.

It's actually a real problem over here. Kids pose as disabled (which is just plain wrong IMO) in order to rent scooters and then go joy riding on the things.

Just to clarify, I do NOT think they are the devil's playthings when used by needy people. I DO however have a problem when they are used but not needed, for whatever reason. Think Cartman from South Park.

Actully, I hate strollers and I have three kids. Families need them. Heck, I needed them. I still think they're a PITA even though they're usefuk and I can understand why someone would feel similarly about an ECV, especially if they've been run over a few times.

To be fair, a stroller is for parental convenience and as such if is well accepted as an ordinary piece of equipment.

When a person has need for a mobility device, it is humbling. Often, they don't want to use it as it is a sign that they can't do what the once did. There is stigma with it.

While you may use a stroller and it annoys you and others, the words fat or lazy aren't typical words folks think of to describe your reasons for using the stroller.

But everyone seems to have opinions on why scooters are used. They are far more
Empathetic when non-motorized mobility devices are used.

My mom refused to use a device for years as in her mind--it is a symbol of defeat and of giving up. But her hand was forced. So she uses scooters in the parks. She desires independence. And she could not get around independently in a standard wheelchair. She is getting to the point to where she should probably own one for use outside of Disney. But again, the stigma. She does have full disability status and has the placard and everything. But she is holding out.

She could push my kid in a stroller and no one would judge her. Put her on motorized wheels and everyone has an opinion on the validity of her using them.

Last year, I did a day in DC in a standard wheelchair. I could not walk and being off my feet was the medical restriction at the time (broken ankle). I would have much preferred a scooter. Especially for the hills and just for the Independence.

While the OP may not have intended to stir the pot, this topic is a hot topic especially on the DIS. And declaring hatred towards the subject just adds fuel for the flames.

Makes me grateful for the ADA. Makes me wish those guests brought to tears over the poor behavior of guests who don't know they don't need to say every thought in their head would feel inspired to tell those rude people
what they can do with their opinion.

Eh, I love Disney. And I can see the not too distant future where I'm not very mobile. RA, Cancer, etc, will catch up with me. I'm not going to go, thanks. Too much misery, for me and other people. If I'm lucky enough to have a grandchild someday, I hope I can walk through the parks with him/her. If not, there's always video. And it's not like I've never been.

Parents are frequently called lazy for opting to use a stroller, especially with kids perceived as being older. It absolutely happens.

I absolutely support whatever people need to navigate the parks in a way that is safe and comfortable, but I don't like dealing with other people's strollers. And I can understand why, especially if you've been run over a time or two, ECVs might bother you.

It's actually a real problem over here. Kids pose as disabled (which is just plain wrong IMO) in order to rent scooters and then go joy riding on the things.

Just to clarify, I do NOT think they are the devil's playthings when used by needy people. I DO however have a problem when they are used but not needed, for whatever reason. Think Cartman from South Park.

Where is "over here"? Disney does not require a disclosure and are prevented by law from asking.

Just wonder how you can tell the difference. Are disabled people not permitted to
Enjoy any aspects of the ride the mobility device provides? Should they grimace in pain? Appear sad?

The rentals don't go very fast, so there isn't much joyriding here.

But if you google wheelchair stunts and wheelchair dance, you can see that people
Who need to use wheels find ways to experience joy while using them.

Often the reason people use scooters is poor
Upper body strength for a temporary need. They may also lack an adequate support person to assist them. And their need for independence draws them to a device that they can use by themselves.

Disney also needs to not allow kids to sit on their parents lap on an evc, these things are not toys kids should not be driving them.

Minimum age to rent an ECV is 18, but some renters don't want to obey the rules. If a cast member sees kids driving, or sitting in front of the driver, they will try to put a stop to it.

Parents are frequently called lazy for opting to use a stroller, especially with kids perceived as being older. It absolutely happens.

I absolutely support whatever people need to navigate the parks in a way that is safe and comfortable, but I don't like dealing with other people's strollers. And I can understand why, especially if you've been run over a time or two, ECVs might bother you.

I won't deny that it doesn't. But it doesn't come close to the judgement someone on a mobility scooter receives.

When the claim delves into
The reasons a person uses them and disagreeing with those reasons, I don't think the fear of getting toes run over is the reason they hate them. Otherwise, that would be the front and center reason expressed without regard to who is riding them.

Wheelchairs hurt as well when toes are run over by accident. But no one complains about those.

Progressive Neurological diseases progress even more quickly with immobility. Therefore, it makes sense to promote as much physical mobility as possible.

People in need of power chairs should be evaluated by a PT for appropriateness.

But, like I stated there is a big difference from wheelchair dependence and a mobility scooter.
I ise an ECV due to limited arm mobility. I do not always have a person to assist me.
MS is a funny thing. Different for different people.
Some days I do not need assistance at all and I do not use a scooter.

Nice attitude.

Contrary to how you may have read my posts, I am not against ECVs, UNTIL it's EXPECTED that people (through no fault of their own) will get hit. I even mentioned up thread that if someone jumps in front of you and stops, I understand (and forgive) them being hit. But if you're following me out of the park after Wishes and I have to stop because there is no where for me to go, if I get hit, you better darn well believe I'm going to be upset.

And yes, I have pushed a manual wheelchair through Disney for my FIL. And no, we didn't "prep" for it. It was something that had to be done if he was going to take the trip.

Does anyone know why they DON'T put brakes on ECVs?

Was ECV not an option?

Eh, I love Disney. And I can see the not too distant future where I'm not very mobile. RA, Cancer, etc, will catch up with me. I'm not going to go, thanks. Too much misery, for me and other people. If I'm lucky enough to have a grandchild someday, I hope I can walk through the parks with him/her. If not, there's always video. And it's not like I've never been.

Don't let your travel decisions be based on what other people think.

Where is "over here"? Disney does not require a disclosure and are prevented by law from asking.

Just wonder how you can tell the difference. Are disabled people not permitted to
Enjoy any aspects of the ride the mobility device provides? Should they grimace in pain? Appear sad?

The rentals don't go very fast, so there isn't much joyriding here.

But if you google wheelchair stunts and wheelchair dance, you can see that people
Who need to use wheels find ways to experience joy while using them.

Often the reason people use scooters is poor
Upper body strength for a temporary need. They may also lack an adequate support person to assist them. And their need for independence draws them to a device that they can use by themselves.

Sorry; "over here" refers to the UK... if you believe the news. Mind you, I believe it was an article in the FT, so probably reliable.

I don't know where the line is drawn TBH... it is only logical that some people will abuse the privilege and THAT is where I have a problem.

Oh please. DH and I both drove ECV's on the KTTK tour. Before signing up we made sure that ECV's were allowed. Our guide was very pleasant and called them our "royal carriages." And no, we didn't slow down anyone else. There were a couple of places we needed to use an elevator while the rest of the group used stairs, but that's life.

Maybe 'you' didn't but the person ahead of us most certainly did. If you're holding things up it is inconsiderate. Life isn't always fair.

Maybe 'you' didn't but the person ahead of us most certainly did. If you're holding things up it is inconsiderate. Life isn't always fair.
So if she had not used the ecv and walked even slower and slowed you up even more than the scooter issues that would have been ok? You are right, life isn't always fair. Sometimes you have to wait for someone to catch up because their scooter is broken. Do you think they were thinking "this is awesome, this thing is broken and I'm slowing things down."? No, they were upset by it, but put on a happy face to placate people like you who think they are deserving of perfection.

How about requiring a license to drive one? Or some sort of certification or class other than the three seconds a CM spends with a renting guest? I need a license to drive a car and clearly these things can hurt others. The right to swing your arm ends where my nose begins. I think the brakes really need to be examined if they don't work like a car or a bike.

I think I might be in a Disney park more often than others here. The things I have seen would make your hair curl. The heat of Disneyland in the summer plus crowds really try everyone's patience on both sides of the fence on this issue.

Children should not be driving them. Drivers of them need to know how the mechanisms work. I love that Disneyland now has parade viewing sections for such vehicles and their families. Great idea so that they are not heavily mixed in with the pedestrian-only section.

Saw the worst thing in line at Radiator Springs Racers. Three adults in a caravan on ECVs - small children walking. One girl crying cuz one of the adults hit her. Then another girl peed her pants. When another child needed to use a restroom, and all the people in line were already upset with the first accident, a miracle happened. One of the adults actually got off the ECV and walked out of the line to take her to the bathroom. But they put the 8-ish yr old boy on the thing, and he proceeded to ram into the scooter in front of him over and over. That lady would get up and yell at him and then sit back down.

The whole thing was drama beginning to end. These are your people, ECV riders. Do with them what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter