I have a question and would like your opinion.

Hi JessicaR- Have you stayed at the AKL before? If not you might want to ask for the Zebra trail side of the bldg. It's closer to everything. The Kudu trail side is a much, much further walk to food and pool.

Hey. This is the Universal resort page, not Disney!!!!! LOL... Just kidding.

I just wanted to add, that I LOVE the AKL. It really feels like you are in Africa and not in Orlando. Also the rooms are very spacious. Dark, but spacious.

The last time we split our vacation was in July and we did PBH and Wilderness Lodge. All 5 of us liked the Lodge better. All 5 of us liked USO and FOTL better. I got $114/night rate at WL as a Florida resident (not bad). If WL was in USO it would be the ideal.
AK is nice too. I am partial to Poly for location/restaurant. I think you can find good in any where you stay as long as you don't have to get up and go to work!

I know you don't need more opinions as you've got everything booked. Looks like a GREAT trip by the way.

Just had to share: last time we went we split our stay. 1st few days at the all stars (2 adjoining rooms) then over to HRH in a kid suite. We really appreciated HRH after coming from the all stars! We ran into a couple who was exactly flip-flopping our itinerary and after talking awhile - they decided they blew it and wished they had ended at HRH.

Thank you mouseclick!

mark & sandra,
We have never stayed at AKL. Thanks for the tip on where to request. I am clueless about this hotel and this will help lots!

Spidey, you stayed at AKL? Ya gotta give me the low down man! Even if PM since we are as you say...on a Universal board:p

MotherFletcher, I have a hard time typing that name out and not cracking up! One of my favorite Donkey lines from Shrek! Anyway...I actually tossed around the idea of WL before settling with AKL. Tell me why you all liked it better than Portofino, please.
I have stayed at Poly before and it just didnt do it for me. Thanks!

catsmom,
Thanks for sharing and I agree with you. Doing Disney first and moving over to Universal is the only way for me!

You will like AKL. It was designed by the same architect as WL. My DD9 and I needed to Father/Daughter bond so we went to WL and I wanted to extend our visit and WL was full. We tried AKL and they took us. We had the best time exploring AKL and actually got a big kick out of watching really old cartoons on the TV in the lobby. The pool at AKL is great and the hot tubs/spas are hidden and relaxing.
Why WL over PBH? We had adjoining dormer rooms (one was a bunk) at WL. Our mousekeeper made towel Mickeys. The waitress at Whispering Canyon remembered my DD9 and made her get up and Hokey-pokey. (Is that what it really is all about?). We found the backwards buffalo on the hallway lamps for our floor. We found all the hidden Mickeys on the list. The Cast Member that checked us in was from Hell. Ohio? I think.
At PBH my DS15 told me he felt out of place. He broke the handle on our suitcase and I thought he was going to die from embarassment. I shared the uncomfortable feeling as did my Mother in Law and wife. I felt like I couldn't wear my Spongebob shorts or my Dudley DoRight hat without stares of disapproval. When we got on elevators with others there was little or no conversation. In fact the only time I could get someone to talk to me was on the water taxi and that was a 3 year old who I must say was impressed with my vast knowledge of the Pokemon on his shirt. Our adjoining Villa rooms were the last ones on the Villa wing. It was a very long walk to the lobby let alone the water taxi. My son and I made the trek to the conceirge to shoot some pool to find that they don't check out the balls after a certain hour. The character meal felt wrong. Too quiet, too empty. The food was great for a buffet. PBH cost me at least twice as much as WL. I have similar feelings about Grand Floridian when we go there. I guess you can the boy out of the country, but....

Have a great time. By the way the guys in the office have chosen JessicaR as their favorite cartoon hottie, followed by Judy Jetson, and Wilma Flintstone. We had one vote for Marge Simpson but that guy likes cats better than dogs.

MotherFletcher,

Sounds like you had the perfect stay at WL and I can see why! Thanks for replying. I feel bad that you and your family felt out of place at Portofino. We're a silly and laidback kinda family and dont take ourselves or others seriously (especially on vacation) and I guess we just didnt have the same feelings or experiences when we stayed there. Funny you mentioned about playing pool after concierge was closed we did that too. Except we did end up getting those balls. I have a persistent 10 year old. I do know what you mean about the character meal if the place is empty we did it twice once while it was full and once when we were nearly the only ones in the place and it was more fun with a crowd. I think RPR does the character meal better anyway. I really like the place a lot and a large part is because it is quieter than the others but really never found it stuffy. I like to come back after a crazy day at the parks and just mellow out. I say you shoulda worn that hat and shorts!

We did recently stay at RPR and it was a very different atmosphere and we do like both a lot! HRH is another story didnt really love the place but were gonna try again in December...maybe...I think.
:confused:

You sound like you would be a blast to hang out with on vacation and I bet the family has a ball with you! Thanks again for filling me in.

JessicaR won out over Marge Simpson???....Say it aint so!;)

Jess-
I haven't been on the DisBoards long but it doesn't take long at all to see that you are our personal travel agent. Alot of the posts take research time/energy and I for one appreciate all you do.
I have been going to WDW for over 20 yrs. I've been accused of having children to justify the number of trips. I've tour guided family and friends on groups up to 8. Our last trip was the first of this month for Mickey's Horror Nights. When we road Jungle Cruise the boat pilot asked if it was anyone's 1st time. It wasn't so I let me 10 yo loose on him. She was able to tell every joke/pun in advance from the 12" to 1', backside of water, your in de Nile, root canal, etc. In addition she pointed out all of the hidden Mickeys as well as the ones that have been removed. We toured on every holiday as well as the slow times. We stayed onsite the day after 9/11, the only time they have closed the park. I'm starting to think we've gone there too much.
Holiday must sees at WDW for me are:
Osborne lights at MGM late at night when everyone is at Fantasmic.
GF and WL decorations. WL feels like traditional Christmas.
Character dinner at Chef Mickey's with Santa Goofy.
Don't be afraid to wander the hallways of AKL either because there are several different viewing areas.

If your kid and mine got together they would kick us out of any resort/park. What with yours cutting through the hedge and demanding the pool balls! Mine would be right there spoiling the shows be telling what will happen next. My 15yo stealing toilet paper!

I'm considering HRH 12/21 and maybe offsite before and/or after.
I want to do PBH Grinch thing(just to get the cookies). I want to watch the fireworks from our room. I want to go to Margeritaville too based on the threads. I want to do Macy's too. How do I schedule these? What room do I need? Pool view?

And Thanks for all you do!!

Thanks Motherfletcher! :)

I started going to Disney in the 70's. We always went to Disney for family vacation at least one time a year! My parents were (are) a huge influence for my love of theme parks. I'm positive its rubbed off on the kids. I did have my kids to feed my addiction! (kidding...sorta). I'm amazed and confused how there are some that can take em or leave em. I have a BIL that I am desperately trying to convert! My sister's like myself share this love but he wont have ANY of it! I wish he would knock it off already! He'll learn soon enough that he will go and LIKE it!::yes::

I am really looking forward to our stay in December. Its my favorite time to be there. I was so sad to hear there will be no Osborne lights this year.:( Oh well cant have it all! I took notes and will check out what you listed.

My kids must have been cloned from yours. When we were last there more than a few times I had to tell the kids to stop spoiling the rides and shows for others! When we were on line for Spiderman there was a family behind. You could tell it was their first time and I notice my son picked right up on that too. He just had to start a conversation with them. I gave him a look like if you spoil it for them your in trouble! So he says...I wont tell you all about it....unless you want to know? LOL There biggest thrill is going on Popeyes with people that havent been on it before and when a person asks...do we get wet on this ride, they are SO happy to tell them as we shove off that they are gonna get drenched!

Macys parade is held daily in the early evening. I havent seen this one yet either and look forward to it! As the parks stay open later the time may change. Grinchmas at IOA has a wholiday show in 3 parts thats runs through out the day. If you stay at PBH I would request a bayview in case you can see the fireworks from there. At HRH a poolview should be good for fireworks too. The cookies at the Santa/Grinch reading are the best and I hope they havent changed that! Margaritaville on a Thursday evening offers something new and it sounds like fun. I will be checking that out too. Too bad our trips dont overlap it would have been great to meet you guys!

Jessica-

I am so sorry. I just saw your post from 09/25. I know you got some answers, but I want to help you since you always help everyone. AKL is the best!!!! It's secluded as it is the farthest resort from the parks, but it adds to the theming. When we stayed there, we stayed in a savannah view room. IMO, there is no point in staying there if you don't have savannah view. Our balcony faced the animals. And we saw zebras, giraffes.... it was wonderful. And in the evening, sitting on our balcony having drinks and seeing the sunset made it unbelievable. You would love it there!!!!!!!

Sorry again for taking so long to respond.

PM me if you have any other questions.

That's okay Spidey...puckerup:

Thanks for the info! We have a savannah view booked. Do you remember what floor you were on? Does it matter? Thanks again!

Well we've stayed twice. Once was on the third floor and once on the sixth. The time we were on the third, I enjoyed it more because the animals were closer. I kid you not. One morning I got up and went to the balcony and there was a giraffe at an arms length. Very cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter