• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I have a Question

shellynn24

DIS Veteran
I'll start by saying that I didn't know where to ask this question. My son (4 yo) has a pretty severe speech delay. It's getting much better but he still doesn't talk to other people, not that other people would understand him! I'm worried about him getting lost on our upcoming trip to WDW. He is not at all afraid to be alone and he likes to hide from us. He doesn't know what he's done until he is gone then he gets scared and won't tell the person who finds him what is wrong. If anyone has any suggestions for how to "label" him, I'd love to hear them. Another thing, he will not wear the ID bracelets! He keeps trying to take the bracelet, anklet off! He's too smart for his own good! :flower: Thank you!

Hi Shellyn,

My DS is 6, and he has Autistic Spectrum Disorder, and wouldn't be able to tell a stranger anything meaningful...he too likes to wander off, and can do so at quite a pace...

Last time we went to WDW we had laminated cards made up with his name, an explanation of his disability and a contact phone number and address. We then punched a hole in the card and pinned it with a safety pin to the back of his jacket / t-shirt. That way, for the most part he had no idea it was there, but it would have been obvious to any CM who encountered him. Luckily we never had recourse to use it....

Hope you enjoy your trip

Leise

My ds5 has PDD-NOS, and he likes to take off too.... he's quite verbal, but randomly so....like he might talk up a storm to someone, but not necessarily anything appropriate to the situation. We just watch him like a hawk, and we got one of those ID bracelets for him to wear. He thinks EVERYONE is nice and basically has no fear. We will bring a picture of him to the park each day (hope we never need it!!!!) and we usually all wear matching clothes, so there is no question about what he's wearing. Good luck....and happy, safe trips to all of us!!

I bookmarked this thread on Child ID safety tags. It had a TON of good ideas. My favorite is to either get an animal ID tag or small laminated one and attach it to the very bottom of the shoe laces (they'd have to undo the entire lace to get the ID tag off). That's what I'm using for our December trip. The picture each day is a good idea too.

I had thought about getting him a military "Dog Tag". Since we are military it's no big deal to get one made. I really like the idea of pinning it to the back of him. I have his new shoes on layaway, so I don't even know if they have laces or not. I will definately bring a picture of him with us.

Except my little guy is 2 1/2. Severe speech delay (he only has one word...apple :rolleyes: ). I contemplated writing across his back with a Sharpie. Also looked at Tyvek bracelets that can't come off unless you cut them off, and write my cellphone number and his name on it. I don't like the idea of a pin on him in any way shape or form. His 5 year old brother would probably undo it :rolleyes: . Boys....sigh......

Could you get him to wear a lanyard with pins, or a watch? I labeled both for my middle DS when he was verbally delayed, and still label DS5 who has very poor speech due to mouth formation.

Last year my son wore a Medic Alert bracelet that was sized so he couldn't get it off. It was from Medic Alert and had the phone number for the organization, so someone could call and get our contact numbers, etc. We worked a long time for him to hold his wrist up to "a mommy" if he was lost, then since he isn't speech delayed simply say "help me". I didn't want him to say he was lost and I thought if "the stranger" thought there was medically something wrong there would be more chance they would get him somewhere safe. Also, I thought less likely they would kidnap a child who is in a medical crisis (or so they may think). Any paramedic would know to call the number on his bracelet. This was all great until we had to get the bracelet resized and it is now just too big enough that he can get it off and he doesn't want to wear it. Before he never seemed to mind and other kids remarked that it was neat. That is my #1 recommendation if you can get it to work.

I have debated what to do for our August trip. I am terribly frightened of him getting separated. He knows no strangers, also. (I think with so many of our kids, esp., they have so many teachers and therapists that they think all adults are there to help them. JMHO) He is also a wanderer. Anyway...none of his shoes have laces, we use the slip ons. I think I am going to make adhesive labels on the computer (maybe the size of a shipping label), that say "I have autism. If I am lost please call XXX-XXX-XXXX" I won't put his name on it or any other information and stick it on his back. I had thought about the waterproof issue until reading this thread...maybe clear contact paper over the front, so the adhesive still works. I am also hoping this may cause people to think before making comment when he has to use the GAC.

I saw a little girl with a beaded necklace that said "If I am lost call my daddy" and had the cell phone number on it. I thought that that was great wording. It's also a cute idea for girls who love to make necklaces and actually do wear them :flower:

I bought a cheap engraved bracelet and they fitted to my wrist. On the front is my name and a medical alert symbol and on the back my medical issues. I need to replace it as I need to add hearing impaired. I can't get it off without the help of another person. Maybe you an find someting like this. I have seen several of the students with autism with medic alert bracelet or ones like mine but without their name. I know at first they had melt downs but soon got used to them.

You could try runnersid . com they have lots of differnt things to choose from. I had an exchange student once who spoke no english at all and I took him and my 7 y.o. nephew to New York City for the day. I was concerned about both of them (not being able to remember our home phone or tell someone it) so I wrote on the bottom of one of there feet with a sharpie marker.(Just the phone #). It wore off the next day or 2. They could not loose this and I knew that if they needed it, they could find it.I now do it to my DD7 when we travel.

My niece has a severe speech delay, at 2 1/2 she has about five intelligible words. (She was lead poisoned as an infant when contractors messed up a construction job being done on the house--but that's another story.) She's a smart little pistol, and has been learning ASL! She has about 50 signing words and learning a new one every day.

Would it be possible to teach your child to sign some words so they could communicate that they are lost? There are quite a few CM's who know some basic ASL.

Anne

ducklite said:
My niece has a severe speech delay, at 2 1/2 she has about five intelligible words. (She was lead poisoned as an infant when contractors messed up a construction job being done on the house--but that's another story.) She's a smart little pistol, and has been learning ASL! She has about 50 signing words and learning a new one every day.

Would it be possible to teach your child to sign some words so they could communicate that they are lost? There are quite a few CM's who know some basic ASL.

Anne
Unfortunately, my son's speech delay is linked with his very difficult birth. He is a little slow picking things up because of oxygen deprivation in the birth canal. The whole thing was caused by his shoulder being stuck. After he was born they realized that the nerves in his shoulder were permanently damaged. He has what they call Erbs Palsy (SP?). It makes it difficult for him to learn anything that would require him to use both hands. Plus, I am embarrased to say, I have forgotten all the sign language I ever knew! My cousin is hearing impaired and we used to have to sign to him. I haven't been around him for about 10 years and have forgotten. :guilty:

While sign language is normally done with 2 hands, it is possible to sign one handed so don't give up on it. There are many good books to use and as long as you are already familiar with it, it will come back. Don't give up on the idea.

My DD does a lot of signs, but because she has fine motor problems, some are done one handed, like Talking Hands mentioned. Some are modifications DD made, by leaving out the parts she has trouble with.

Another thought is that he use his better hand as his dominate hand and the other one as the base. Most signs that require a second hand the non-dominate hand serves as a base for the sign and is pretty much stationary, or just duplicates the dominate hand. It doesn't matter which hand is used as the dominate. sometimes it is not even consistant although when I interpret I try to be consistant. When talking I may switch dominance depending on the situation and what else I am doing.

I'm new here and this section on DisAbilities made me want to join. Thank you so much for the ideas on ID's, especially the dog tag one on the shoelace! We're going in October with our then 5 year old who has PDD-NOS. I was wondering what to do to "label" him should he get away from us. I have his Kid ID card that I carry with me all the time that has his fingerprint on it, but the tag is a new one to me. Thank you all again. :flower:

Yup, my ds won't wear his bracelet either. I'm thinking of the shoe tag device also. Or, I can remove his medic alert tag from the bracelet and some how attach it to his shoe.

Does anyone know? This may be a silly question but we have never flown and I was wondering if we would have a problem with metal detectors at the airport if my DS, 9 yrs old. autism with very little speech had a metal tag on his shoes that had contact numbers on it. I also worry about him getting lost at the airport. Since we have never flown I do not know what to expect and I do not want to set ourselves up for any problems.
Thank you.

You usually have to take your shoes off and send thru with other carry on items, so it shouldn't be a problem. Of course, with my son, having to put his stuff on the belt causes major issues.

LisaB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter