I just don't know what to do

Mugsymugs

The 8th Dwarf
This is our first trip to Disney... my DS is 13 and my DD is 9. Both have high functioning autism and ADHD and are EXTREMELY PICKY. This is also the first vacation that they have ever been on. I am signed up for the deluxe dining plan because DD wants to do all these character meals and I thought it might be good to have table service for breaks. But I am reading on here that even with an ADR you could have to wait for a table and I don't know how well that will go for us twice a day. I really don't know if they will be super happy to be at Disney or if it will be overwhelming. Is it worth getting any dining plan or just paying OOP? I almost feel like I would be more successful having them see something that they want to eat in the parks and just getting it rather than being locked into a plan all the time. And I feel like if I don't utilize 3 table services then I am really paying more than I should. I did set up 3 signatures but I am rethinking that too and thinking just doing one would be enough - how enjoyable is the meal going to be if they suddenly decide they are "done" before I am. We are going for 4 nights. Anyone travel in a scenario like mine?

I personally would not pay for the Dining Plan as I don't feel the value is there.

Since this is your first trip, I also think the Deluxe Dining Plan would result in too much time sitting down at meals when there is so much to see and do in the parks.

I think the flexibility of just paying OOP would be your best bet. Pick one or two table service restaurants and then just go with the flow as your family requires. There are so many delicious snack and quick service options as well.

Enjoy!

Thank you Do the quick service options have seating or is it cutthroat? I have so much anxiety about this trip and it seems every time I think I have it figured out I second guess it.

And can I just go up and order a kid's meal for my ds who is 13 or can only kids go up and get kids meals?

When are you going exactly?

I am not as bad as I used to be. I melted down a lot as a kid on vacation. But I've found that even as an adult, I do better with set meal times. Even when I don't want food. It's the break aspect I need. And in summer, it might be a good idea to have that down time, if only to rehydrate and hang out where it's cool.

There are different types of ADRs, too. I would steer away from the really loud places like via Napoli. Or ones where you know they won't care for the food. My favorite ADRs were mostly in the resorts. Less stimulation it seems like. Many places in the parks were over stimulating, and I preferred counter service. Two exceptions: Tokyo dining and marrakhesh. I think my favorite resort meals were whispering Canyon and jiko (this is based on stimulation not food, although food was good in both places.)

I don't quite understand the whole if they decide they're done before you thing . I mean, I'm not a fan of dragging out a meal, but surely you must take them out and they know how to sit still in restaurant? If they have trouble sitting through a meal or waiting 10-20 minutes to be seated, I think waits in line for rides might be problematic. Even fast pass plus regularly involves 20 minute waits.

I'd make DD pick her top 1 character dining She may want to do more, and that would be fine. But Character dining, or any buffet is a lot of stimulation. And I wouldn't do a deluxe meal plan simply because it's really time consuming to sit down for that many meals. There will be days they want to do that, and days they would be totally all right with eating snacks on a bench. I don't know how your kids eat- do they get focused on one particular type of food? I only ate cheeseburgers at 9 and I was really particular about how they were fixed. I must have been a pita to take to restaurant. Anyway, the point is, no point in paying a set price for ADRs if one of your kids only eats noodles and butter or chicken nuggets, I would think. You'd never get your money's worth.

Thank you Do the quick service options have seating or is it cutthroat? I have so much anxiety about this trip and it seems every time I think I have it figured out I second guess it.

And can I just go up and order a kid's meal for my ds who is 13 or can only kids go up and get kids meals?

They have seating...that said, some are more ample than others. I remember having trouble with Yak and Yeti QS and Cosmic Ray's, separate trips though.

You can order for your whole family if you like or have everyone order their own. It's very flexible.

I'd drop all dining plans...your kids will not fit into the "strict" box you need to be on to make those work.

I'd also pick ONE character meal to pre-book and JUST plan that one. If it goes well, you'll probably be able to sneak another one in later (yes, you can prebook a 2nd one, at least 48 hours apart, so you could cancel without penalty whenever you finish your day...but this should not be the top choice one).

I am not as bad as I used to be. I melted down a lot as a kid on vacation. But I've found that even as an adult, I do better with set meal times. Even when I don't want food. It's the break aspect I need. And in summer, it might be a good idea to have that down time, if only to rehydrate and hang out where it's cool.

There are different types of ADRs, too. I would steer away from the really loud places like via Napoli. Or ones where you know they won't care for the food. My favorite ADRs were mostly in the resorts. Less stimulation it seems like. Many places in the parks were over stimulating, and I preferred counter service. Two exceptions: Tokyo dining and marrakhesh. I think my favorite resort meals were whispering Canyon and jiko (this is based on stimulation not food, although food was good in both places.)

I don't quite understand the whole if they decide they're done before you thing . I mean, I'm not a fan of dragging out a meal, but surely you must take them out and they know how to sit still in restaurant? If they have trouble sitting through a meal or waiting 10-20 minutes to be seated, I think waits in line for rides might be problematic. Even fast pass plus regularly involves 20 minute waits.

I'd make DD pick her top 1 character dining She may want to do more, and that would be fine. But Character dining, or any buffet is a lot of stimulation. And I wouldn't do a deluxe meal plan simply because it's really time consuming to sit down for that many meals. There will be days they want to do that, and days they would be totally all right with eating snacks on a bench. I don't know how your kids eat- do they get focused on one particular type of food? I only ate cheeseburgers at 9 and I was really particular about how they were fixed. I must have been a pita to take to restaurant. Anyway, the point is, no point in paying a set price for ADRs if one of your kids only eats noodles and butter or chicken nuggets, I would think. You'd never get your money's worth.
Thank

Sorry I hit the button too quick!

Thank you for your detailed reply. They can wait in line - I don't see that as being a problem but I am also totally fine with leaving a ride if I need to.

My kids can get obnoxious and make noises when they want to "escape" a situation and my ds can have trouble with self regulation of her body and I can see her spilling a drink all over etc. They also take ADHD meds so I make sure they have a good breakfast and then they really don't want much til late afternoon so I figure it may be best to just let them in snacks in the park, take a break between 12 and 4 and then come back and have dinner. My son is pretty good but my daughter can be unpredictable. I guess maybe I shouldn't focus on which is most cost effective and just take it a day at a time.

Oh - and I am going 5/31-6/4

I'd drop all dining plans...your kids will not fit into the "strict" box you need to be on to make those work.

I'd also pick ONE character meal to pre-book and JUST plan that one. If it goes well, you'll probably be able to sneak another one in later (yes, you can prebook a 2nd one, at least 48 hours apart, so you could cancel without penalty whenever you finish your day...but this should not be the top choice one).
I think you are absolutely right! Nothing about us fits in a box :-)

Oh - and I am going 5/31-6/4
Oh, ok! Makes sense. I don't think at that time that park breaks are going to be as big of a deal as they are in july/August which is when I've been.

I don't think the meal plan is hardly ever cost effective and in your case, just not a good idea. I think you definitely need as much flexibility as possible, and if anything, focus on getting ADRs for whatever the most important meal for you is. Dinner or breakfast, it sounds like. I would limit the character dining, as mentioned before, especially since it sounds like your daughter is the unpredictable one. And maybe regulate what they eat- like limit soda- but I'm sure you do that anyway. Less changes to their diet would probably mean less melt downs. So you might want ADRs specifically for places that would counterbalance whatever junk food they are eating in the park.

Oh, ok! Makes sense. I don't think at that time that park breaks are going to be as big of a deal as they are in july/August which is when I've been.

I don't think the meal plan is hardly ever cost effective and in your case, just not a good idea. I think you definitely need as much flexibility as possible, and if anything, focus on getting ADRs for whatever the most important meal for you is. Dinner or breakfast, it sounds like. I would limit the character dining, as mentioned before, especially since it sounds like your daughter is the unpredictable one. And maybe regulate what they eat- like limit soda- but I'm sure you do that anyway. Less changes to their diet would probably mean less melt downs. So you might want ADRs specifically for places that would counterbalance whatever junk food they are eating in the park.
I agree. I REALLY appreciate all of your help so much! I don't know that I will ever be able to afford to take them back anytime soon (I'm a single mom) so I really just want them to have the best time. We are staying at the Contemporary so we can make a quick park exit if need me. But I didn't think about how over stimulating the characters may be. I am trying to stick to buffets in hopes there is something they'll eat! I do have ADRs but I am probably going to end up canceling a few once I see how it goes. The big ones my DD wants to go to are Ohana, Bon Voyage and Crystal Palace. I wanted Tusker House and California Grill on our last night.

If they know what they like, I'd just skip buffets for the most part, especially because if budget is a concern. . I think if you have picky kids you don't get your money's worth. It might be cost effective for teens or a smart idea if you've got a lot of people with you. But the buffets I ate at were definitely not worth the money, and Disney does a really good job of both kids menus and providing a range of dishes even the pickiest people will eat.

Maybe let your kids browse through some of the adr menus? Make a game of them helping you plan their big vacation. It's not just the characters that are cool- the settings or themes of almost all of the restaurants are neat. Or make it so the meals are part of the resort hopping because I think kids would really get into resort hopping to places like the poly or akl or wilderness lodge or Fort wilderness (the campground restaurant, trails end, actually does really good breakfasts on weekdays and that could be a good break for the kids- they could work off some energy with rental bikes or something.

There is a LOT of stimulation in the Character Dining buffets. Chef Mickey's most particularly. They have also become expensive enougth that we finally opted out. Just not worth it. I would not choose the DP in your situation. Being as it is your first trip the ADR's really put you in a box time wise. We are hoping for a Free Dining promotion for our upcoming trip just because feeding my 6'2 teen has become an issue. It makes sense for us. I can't feed him for $44 a day. He can use my snacks since I don't usually use them. If you decide to go out of pocket I highly reccomend the kids meal choices. I have never been questioned and I have even been encouraged to order kids by some Cast Members. They get it - way too much food. I order kids meals for myself and the kids can get whatever they want. You will surely have some challenges but Disney really is a Happy Place. Don't stress yourself about special needs kids. Nobody really cares what anyone else is doing. The worst behavior I've ever seen in the Parks has always been from adults. Relax and enjoy your precious family.

Just some things to consider. Your 9 yo is still a Disney child for the Dining Plan so that makes the dining plan a “better” deal financially for you. Also, if you are the only adult traveling it may be harder for you to do counter service meals because you won’t have an adult to get a table while the other gets the food, you might find a table service better meets your needs. The counter service may get old after awhile. For character meals you might be better off with the ones that are served family style as opposed to buffet. The buffets are a lot of work when you have to deal with your plate, your kids plates and still be present at the table to meet the characters. The Garden Grill in Epcot (breakfast, lunch or dinner) is less noisy and frenzied than most and the food comes to you. Same for O’hana (breakfast only).

I agree that a dining plan (especially the Deluxe plan) will definitely tie you down to set plans for several hours each day. IMO, a mom and two kids would not be able to eat enough to get the value out of the regular or deluxe plan. I think you would be better off paying OOP and eating what and when you and the kids want. Maybe schedule one or two ADRs that you really want and just go with the flow the rest of the time. I'm sure you will have an amazing trip! BTW, we arrive on 5/31 also!!

Keep in mind that 4 nights is a VERY short trip. Unless u can go nonstop morning to night every day for all your days (my family would rebel), u will have to miss stuff. The more time u soend eating, the more stuff u will have to miss. Typically a TS meal takes about 1.5hrs (from checking in, getting seated, ordering, eating, paying).

We love eating and spend a big chunk of our WDW time eating. But we've also gone a lot and do long 10-12 day trips every few years.

This is our first trip to Disney... my DS is 13 and my DD is 9. Both have high functioning autism and ADHD and are EXTREMELY PICKY. This is also the first vacation that they have ever been on. I am signed up for the deluxe dining plan because DD wants to do all these character meals and I thought it might be good to have table service for breaks. But I am reading on here that even with an ADR you could have to wait for a table and I don't know how well that will go for us twice a day. I really don't know if they will be super happy to be at Disney or if it will be overwhelming. Is it worth getting any dining plan or just paying OOP? I almost feel like I would be more successful having them see something that they want to eat in the parks and just getting it rather than being locked into a plan all the time. And I feel like if I don't utilize 3 table services then I am really paying more than I should. I did set up 3 signatures but I am rethinking that too and thinking just doing one would be enough - how enjoyable is the meal going to be if they suddenly decide they are "done" before I am. We are going for 4 nights. Anyone travel in a scenario like mine?

I generally like dining plans, but in your case I think you may be wasting money. I think that there are ways to enjoy a character meal though, but yo must realize you are sacrificing park time. If you are okay with that I would look at some meals that are not as chaotic as others.

I would skip meals like Chef Mickey and Crystal palace, but how about breakfast at Akershus? It is a traditional AYCTE breakfast with most of the food brought to you. This alleviates some of the fuss that occurs when you are trying to time character greetings with getting food. No confusion about where you are sitting either. Cape May at the Beach Club is also a nice character breakfast that tends to be less stressful than some of the others. I also like Garden Grill in Epcot. Again, it is AYCTE and features the Chipmunks as well as Mickey and Minnie, I believe. This meal is very relaxed.

I would schedule the character meals, and if after the first one you find that the kids just are not able to enjoy them, cancel the rest. You can cancel but it is not easy to get them at the last minute.

If this is the first vacation they have been on, I would play it by ear. Make a plan, but be prepared to toss it if need be. Disney can be very stressful on adults, never mind children, so if you find that they are overwhelmed in the park if you have a backup plan, the money is not wasted. For instance, I think it is called Agent P in Epcot. It is a scavenged hunt and a lot of fun. You get to explore the World Showcase but no lines. In the MK, if the children are not okay with the queues, look for hidden mickeys. You can buy a book that shows you where they are in parks and resorts. My DGD could be occupied for hours with this activity. Take them to Fort Wilderness and maybe take a wagon ride when you are there. There are activities that are Disney related, but not full on parks that you could enjoy with the kids. Do they like music? The Grand Floridian has the Grand Pianist in the lobby every afternoon, and the Grand Orchestra late afternoon. It is a lot of fun.

I def. wouldn't get the deluxe dining plan. It would just be way too much scheduled meal time for us and imagine your crew as well. The regular dining plan would give you 1 TS credit, 1 QS credit and 2 snacks a day which I think would work better for you guys. The character meals are expensive, so if you guys are going to do a lot of those, then it should be worth it for you. You do still have to wait sometimes though, but generally no more than 10 mins or so. With your group though it may be easier to just do regular QS meals as you go, however then you wouldn't be able to do the character meals (you're most likely going to need an ADR for any character meal, which would need to be made far in advance and would also need to be canceled 24 hrs. prior if you're not going to go to prevent a no show fee, so keep that in mind as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter