I Just Wanna See the Floating Lanterns Gleam! September 2023 Double Dip TR **COMPLETE** 2/25 x4

Cute scrunchies. We used to have a few elastics with Mickey and Minnie. I should hunt those down, my hair is short now but my 23 year old has long hair.

We go on the Fantasy in 15 days. We were just on the Wonder last month and I couldn’t get over how small the atrium is .

Love the decorations. We are getting the Christmas one this time. I just hope I have enough suitcase room to bring the pillow and blanket home.

Cute scrunchies. We used to have a few elastics with Mickey and Minnie. I should hunt those down, my hair is short now but my 23 year old has long hair.

We go on the Fantasy in 15 days. We were just on the Wonder last month and I couldn’t get over how small the atrium is .

Love the decorations. We are getting the Christmas one this time. I just hope I have enough suitcase room to bring the pillow and blanket home.
Thanks! I can't really wear ear headbands for too long because it starts to make my head hurt, so I was really excited to find the scrunchies!

Oh gosh, your cruise is so close now!!! I hope you have a great time!! After spending 2 cruises on the Fantasy ourselves, it was a bit jarring how small the Magic seemed in comparison.

Pack an extra duffel bag just in case!! :laughing: Have an AMAZING cruise!!!

Day 02 Continued: Monday September 25th

Leading up to this cruise, I had been really excited to experience Rapunzel’s Royal Table, and not only were we dining there twice, it was also our first dining room!

IMG_2656 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0265 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2659 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2660 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0269 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The dining room was absolutely beautiful! Although it is a large room, it felt very cozy with the warm lighting and all of the gorgeous lanterns.

IMG_2663 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0271 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I had written to our TA Kathy W to put in a request for us to have our own table for the 4 of us. We had sat with another family on our first cruise, and there was nothing wrong with it but we are awkward people and it felt awkward trying to make conversation with them for all 7 nights. I know some people love sitting with others (my mom would absolutely love it!), but it’s just not for us. As we were brought to our table, we saw our request had been accommodated so that was very nice. We were very close to the tables on either side of us so there were times we chatted across tables for a second or two, but it took some of the pressure off not being seated with anyone else.

IMG_0272 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I was just a little excited!

IMG_2668 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0273 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0274 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0275 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2678 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_E0279 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2681 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0281 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0283 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We met our serving team, our server Joni from Brazil and our assistant server Angel from Indonesia. They were great, probably the best serving team we have had so far! As happened most nights, I was the only one to order an appetizer.

IMG_2685 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
PROSCIUTTO, MOZZARELLA, AND TOMATO BRUSCHETTA
with Fire-roasted Bell Peppers and Balsamic Vinegar

DD got the kids macaroni & cheese and always asked for a side of fruit, whatever was available. Most nights, Joni could find something for her, but it wasn’t as plentiful or as much of a variety as we’d had on the Fantasy.

IMG_2686 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DS also got the macaroni & cheese, and he was so hungry that he actually asked for and received a second serving. Shortly after he finished eating, he ditched us to go spend some time in Edge before the nighttime show.

For our entrees, I had the pasta option and DH got the fish.

IMG_2687 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
PENNE ARRABBIATA
Penne Pasta tossed in Spiced Tomato Sauce with Basil and Garlic Shrimp

IMG_0287 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
PAN-SEARED HALIBUT
with Smashed Minted Green Peas and Shredded Potato Cake, served with a White Wine Chive Cream Sauce

Here is the first of many photos of DD having a Mickey ice cream bar to end her meal.

IMG_0288 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2689 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I had the fig & pecan pudding.

IMG_2690 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
WARM STICKY FIG AND PECAN PUDDING
served with Butterscotch Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream

To make up for the lack of appetizer, DH ordered two (or more) desserts most nights.

IMG_0290 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
MANGO MARBLE CHEESECAKE
served with Berry Compote
And
DARK CHOCOLATE BOMBE
layered with Raspberry Jelly and White Chocolate Spiral Décor

Joni had not realized DS had left, so he had brought a sundae for him. DD decided to give it a try instead since it was now a bonus dessert!

IMG_2691 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
MAGICAL EXPRESS SUNDAE
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Chocolate Fudge Bites and Whipped Cream

She ended up not eating much because she wasn’t a fan of the mint ice cream, but she was still excited that she got to have 2 desserts.

All throughout dinner, there was an absolutely raging storm going on outside! It was kind of cool but also a little scary to see all of the big, bright flashes of lightning through the porthole windows while we were eating. Since it was the first night, the servers were also getting into the swing of things, and some of the courses were taking awhile to come out. We had really wanted to go to the Pumpkin Tree Lighting for 7:30, but were not feeling like we were going to make it. But luckily we finished up right around 7:20 so we went straight to the atrium to see it.

IMG_2692 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The groundskeeper from the Haunted Mansion came down to tell us the story of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman, then woke the Pumpkin Tree.

It was a really cute show! I was glad we made it out in time and didn’t just give up on the idea of going even though we were cutting it close. It definitely put us in the Halloween spirit for the cruise!

Last edited:
Day 02 Continued: Monday September 25th

While we were watching, we got a text from DS that he had gone back to the room because Edge had gotten a leak and closed unexpectedly! So after this, we went to get him so we could all go to the Walt Disney Theater together to see Tangled: The Musical.

Our room attendant had already left our first blanket animal.

IMG_2706 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Once we were all together again, we went to the elevators and the kids spotted one of the rubber ducks someone had hidden onboard! They were always on the lookout for them, and we spotted a few more but since we kept this one, we left the others for someone else to find.

IMG_2707 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We had to wait in line for a little while to get into the theater, but once we did, we were easily able to get seats close to the stage in the middle section. Of course, this was the show I was most excited to see!

IMG_2708 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2709 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2710 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The show was absolutely amazing!! I loved singing along with the songs I know, and hearing all of the brand new ones written for this show. The actress playing Mother Gothel was absolutely incredible, and we found out later she was a visiting Broadway actress named Vivienne Carlyle, and luckily this was only the first of several times we’d be experiencing her talent on this cruise!

There was a hiccup in the show just after the Lantern scene when the boat got stuck trying to go down into the stage. The lights came on and they made an announcement that they were having technical difficulties, and I was so bummed! People immediately started leaving the theater in droves, and I was so worried that they weren’t going to be able to finish. We stayed and thankfully, they were able to get it fixed after around 15 minutes and finish the show!

By the time we left the theater, it was about 10 pm and there were some characters meeting in the atrium! Edge had moved to one of the rooms of the Oceaneers Club so DS left us at this point to go hang out.

First up, we saw the adorable Pluto in his Halloween costume. It was such a cute interaction, where he pretended to be frozen and Elsa had to unfreeze him with a warm hug.

IMG_0307 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I got the whole thing on video!

IMG_2735 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2726 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2737 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2741 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We went up a level to see Vampire Mickey!

IMG_2747 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0320 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Mickey also complimented DD’s Elsa dress.

IMG_2764 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0326 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2771 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2773 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0329 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We tried to go see Chip & Dale, but their line was already closed. We still got to see them in their adorable costumes though.

IMG_0333 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The three of us looked around in the shops, then headed back to the room to go to bed. DS enjoyed his newfound freedom for most of this cruise, so he stayed out at Edge until 11:30 pm. Luckily, DH was able to stay up to wait for him, because I was out as soon as I got in bed!

I love reading your report! But I take issue with naming a dessert “Magical Express”- too much of a reminder of a lost perk at WDW. They are taunting us…

Last edited:
I love reading your report! But I take issue with naming a dessert “Magical Express”- too much of a reminder of a list perk at WDW. They are taunting us…
Too true!!! “hey, remember that onsite perk we took away? Here’s some ice cream instead!!”

What a great first day! So many fun experiences. Nice your DS had a place to go and do what he enjoys. Makes it good for all of you :-) We did a Disney cruise when our kids were young - it was in the late 80's. The Big Red Boat back then (I'm really dating myself!). Now I'd love to take our 2 grandsons on a Disney cruise. Thanks for sharing your trip!

Just found your report and have enjoyed it so far! I'll admit I even got a little choked up reading about the seal encounter knowing that is something they will never forget! Those pictures were incredible and I would have also paid $200 for that. Those memories will be incredible! Sometimes I plan for these types of excursions and they don't always deliver, but it sounds like this one really did!

We just did the Magic in April before her dry dock so I am glad to see she is doing well. Rapunzel is also a favorite and cried through the musical AND the dinner! (Man, I really sound like a mess but I just love genuine happy moments!)

What a great first day! So many fun experiences. Nice your DS had a place to go and do what he enjoys. Makes it good for all of you :-) We did a Disney cruise when our kids were young - it was in the late 80's. The Big Red Boat back then (I'm really dating myself!). Now I'd love to take our 2 grandsons on a Disney cruise. Thanks for sharing your trip!
He really discovered how much he enjoyed Edge late in the cruise on our last one, so he definitely wanted to make up for it this time and start early!

A cruise with the grandsons would be so fun!!
Just found your report and have enjoyed it so far! I'll admit I even got a little choked up reading about the seal encounter knowing that is something they will never forget! Those pictures were incredible and I would have also paid $200 for that. Those memories will be incredible! Sometimes I plan for these types of excursions and they don't always deliver, but it sounds like this one really did!

We just did the Magic in April before her dry dock so I am glad to see she is doing well. Rapunzel is also a favorite and cried through the musical AND the dinner! (Man, I really sound like a mess but I just love genuine happy moments!)
Welcome!!

I am so glad we were able to make it happen for him. We all enjoyed it, but seeing DS as excited as he was made it totally unforgettable! They definitely know they will get you on the photos. :rotfl: Who is going to spend all that money on such an experience and not fork over more for the photos of it?!

I totally get it, I am a happy crier too!! I teared up during the musical as well. It's a beautiful story, and they did such a great job translating it to the cruise line as a live show.

Day 03: Tuesday September 26th

On our first full cruise day, we were up around 7:30 am as the Magic was backing into Castaway Cay for the first of two days we would be spending there! DH had made a stop at Guest Services the night before to get an I Lost My Tooth button with Cheshire Cat on it, so DS woke up to that plus $5 under his pillow from the Tooth Fairy. It was also our Halloween on the High Seas day onboard, so we changed out the door decorations to a Stitch Jack-O-Lantern.

IMG_2775 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We got dressed and headed to Cabanas for breakfast, and DS was excited to start in on his croissant goal of having 20 for the entirety of the cruise.

IMG_2776 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2777 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Although we were very excited to start enjoying Castaway, there was one thing high on our list to do this day, and that was meeting Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle as the Sanderson Sisters. There were only a couple of opportunities posted in the app, and the one later was at like 3:30 or something and we knew we did not want to have to be back onboard and ready for photos for any particular time, so we were set on heading to the first set at 8:45. We got in line around 8:30, and there were a lot of people already in line, but it wasn’t too bad yet. DS didn’t want to wait with us, so he went up to watch us from above.

IMG_0337 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2778 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DD got lots of compliments on her shirt, which is Bluey, Bingo, and Chloe dressed as the Sanderson Sisters!

IMG_2781 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2782 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2785 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2786 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
They looked so great!!

IMG_2790 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2791 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The line really kept moving well because the CMs made announcements that each group would only be able to take one photo grouping, so whoever wanted to be in the photo needed to be in it from the beginning, and that there would not be any autographs.

IMG_0355 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We were all done a little after 9 am! This was one of our biggest must-do items, so it felt great to have that done so early on. We were given a little card with their signatures on it as we exited the meet & greet area which was nice. Then we headed up to the room to get changed and packed up for our day on Castaway Cay!

We had packed a backpack that has an insulated bottom pouch that we have used on other beach days, and our stateroom host was nice enough to put some ice in the bottom pouch for us for our bottled water. It was also really nice that our in-room gift had been a really nice DCL tote bag that we also used to pack up the things we wanted to bring off the ship with us.

As we exited the ship, we grabbed some towels which were weirdly a little damp? We decided to walk to the Family Beach, and passed Chip & Dale at the Post Office so we stopped for a photo with them. DS was not interested in meeting characters so he stood to the side.

IMG_0359 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2798 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

How adorable are they in their little swimsuits?!

The kids grumbled when I made them stop for more photos, but I insisted because I knew as much as they were complaining now, they would be doing even more complaining after a full day in the sun if I tried to make them stop on the way back to the ship!

IMG_0360 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0363 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0365 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2803 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We found a group of chairs easily over by the snorkeling lagoon to make our home base for the day. DH & DS left us at that point to go do the Castaway Cay 5K. Our first cruise, the beach definitely seemed more full since we were on the Fantasy. Our next cruise was not totally full since it was after the restart. This time felt even a little less crowded than even that cruise. It was definitely noticeable that there were less people on the beach.

DD had fun playing on the sand and even made a little friend that she was playing with while I relaxed and did some reading. We also saw a wedding happening up on the cliff!

IMG_2804 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2806 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

While we were relaxing, the boys were racing!

IMG_0368 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0370 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0371 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0372 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0374 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0375 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0376 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0386 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2807 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DS went in the water with DD for a little while to cool off, but soon after that he went to Edge on the island and we really didn’t see him much for the rest of the day. They were having a scavenger hunt around the island and he made a friend doing this activity, so they spent the rest of the time on the island hanging out together and we’d see them walking around now and then.

The three of us went to Cookies for lunch around 12 and had some burgers, chicken, and hot dogs.

IMG_2812 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DH has always wanted to make an ice cream cookie sandwich but never done it…until now!

IMG_2811 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

He really felt good about this choice too when someone saw him walking past with his creation and just said, “...Genius.”

It was really good but we had to share it for sure, it was huge!

IMG_2816 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

After lunch, we went back to our beach chairs and DD swam for a bit, then convinced DH to take her to play pool at In Da Shade. Eventually both kids ended up back with us and played in the water and on the play area while the two of us relaxed.

IMG_2817 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2818 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2819 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Looks like a very fun Island day! Some activities along with relaxation time. Since it's your 3rd Disney cruise you are real pros. I would imagine it's much easier to know how you want to spend your time. Could be hard to have kids at different kid stages but it seems to work out well for all of you.

Looks like a very fun Island day! Some activities along with relaxation time. Since it's your 3rd Disney cruise you are real pros. I would imagine it's much easier to know how you want to spend your time. Could be hard to have kids at different kid stages but it seems to work out well for all of you.
We have definitely learned how to relax when cruising, which was very hard to do the first time when we wanted to do ALL the things!

Day 03 Continued: Tuesday September 26th

We decided to head back to the ship around 2:30, and took the tram this time.

IMG_2821 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2822 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2823 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I took this picture because I thought it was cool that it was from New Orleans.

IMG_2824 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2825 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2827 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2832 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The CMs were handing out cold towels as we got back to the ship, and it felt so incredibly good after a day in the sun! We went to the room to shower and we changed back into our Halloween shirts for a little bit. DD was going to be dressing up in her other Elsa dress for the night, and I had a Lilo bound, but for now we were just having a little fun before dinner.

IMG_2837 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We went to the new Soul Cat Lounge for Haunted Mansion Trivia at 4:30 pm.

IMG_2841 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2845 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2848 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2850 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We did not win, of course, but we had fun trying! That was really all we had time for before we had to get changed for dinner. DH & DS were not changing anything, but DD and I had to get into our costumes. DD was wearing her Frozen 2 Elsa dress, and decided she wanted to do the hairpieces this time.

IMG_2853 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2854 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2857 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2863 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Tonight, we were at Lumiere’s for dinner.

IMG_2866 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2867 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DS ordered double cheese pizza, and DD had another macaroni & cheese dinner.

IMG_2868 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2870 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2871 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Again, I was the only one who ordered an appetizer, and it was ok but not my favorite. I also got the cheddar broccoli soup from the kids menu, which I liked more.

IMG_2872 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
DOUBLE BAKED GRUYÈRE CHEESE SOUFFLÉ
with Maytag Blue Cheese, Spinach, and Mascarpone Cheese

IMG_2873 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2874 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Then came our entrees. I had fish while DH had steak.

IMG_2876 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
ROASTED COD FILET
with a Cheddar and Herb Crust on Crushed Chive Potatoes served with a Chervil Cream Sauce

IMG_0396 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
CENTER CUT BEEF TENDERLOIN AND LOBSTER MEDALLIONS
USDA Choice Cut of Beef with Caramelized Carrots, Buttered Snow Peas and crushed Parsley Potatoes served with Béarnaise Sauce

That night, every one of the desserts sounded good, so DH and I ordered one of each to try. We were a little ambitious that night! Lol DD got another Mickey Bar, and DS decided to try the cheesecake off the kids menu.

IMG_2877 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0398 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
LIGHT LEMON CAKE
served with Citrus Curd and Clotted Cream

IMG_2878 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE TERRINE
in a Chocolate Basket with Vanilla Crisp

IMG_2879 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
WARM BANANA BREAD PUDDING
with Vanilla Ice Cream and Caramel Praline Sauce

On our reservation, we had noted that we were celebrating each kids’ birthday since DD’s was in August before the cruise, and DS’s would be after the cruise in October. And also, we would be sailing on DH’s & my 16th wedding anniversary. So on this night, when we had already ordered way too many desserts, our serving team surprised the kids with a special birthday dessert, and another one for me & DH for our anniversary!

Our serving team sang Happy Birthday to the kids! VIDEO:

IMG_2887 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0401 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2888 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0404 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

This was the absurdity of our ENTIRE TABLE being covered in desserts!!

IMG_0406 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Last edited:
Day 03 Continued: Tuesday September 26th

So there were actually 2 other desserts we must not have gotten photos of, a rocky road sundae and caramel apple cheesecake.

IMG_0409 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Finally, we were stuffed beyond belief and had to get ourselves out of there before we ate any more!!

IMG_2891 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We shopped in the stores, and I ended up buying a shirt that was in the same style as one I got on the Fantasy with Dumbo but for the Magic with Goofy.

IMG_2923 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Then we went to the family game show, which was kind of like the newlywed game but for kids & parents. Somehow DD convinced me to participate!

IMG_0411 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DH recorded our questions & answers and stitched it together.

It was fun, and we did fairly well, but didn’t win. And DD didn’t say anything super embarrassing about me, so that was a plus for me! Lol

After the show, Trick or Treating was starting at 8:15 pm up on Deck 10, so we made our way that way.

IMG_2892 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0431 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2895 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2898 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2900 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2903 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2907 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2911 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2920 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Trick or treating was fun, but very quick as we just made a walk through Cabanas from one side to the other and there were 6 or 7 stations, and that was it. I am not sure what exactly I was expecting, but I thought maybe it would be more around the ship instead of just in that one space.

After we got our bags filled with candy, we went back to the room so DD could change back into clothes and go to the kids club for the Halloween party they were having at 9:30 pm, and DS went to Edge for the rest of the night. We had an elephant blanket animal this night, and our host always moved around our Halloween decorations!

IMG_2921 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2922 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Unfortunately, despite both of the kids being occupied in their kids club of choice, there were no adults-only trivia or anything else happening for DH and I to go do so we hung out in the room. DD was back at 10:30, and her and I went to bed. DH stayed up until DS came back around 11:30 and then the two of them got to bed also.

Day 04: Wednesday September 27th

The next day was our next port day, and today we were in Nassau! I know this is a popular day to stay on the ship, and we did consider that for a bit too, but then we came across a really cheap and easy way to experience Atlantis, so we decided to go that route instead.

First & foremost, it was going to be Pirate Night when we got back, so we changed up our door magnet again to add a pirate hat for our Stitch.

IMG_2924 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DD had also wanted to add a poll to one of the magnetic white boards we got from Dreams Unlimited because we saw another family do this on our last cruise. Unfortunately since we were so far down the hall, there were not many people passing our door, so she was super excited every time someone answered her poll.

IMG_2925 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We wanted to get off of the ship as soon as we could, so we were up around 7 am and went to breakfast at Cabanas.

IMG_2926 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2927 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We had churro Mickey waffles as an option this morning!!

IMG_2928 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

If you see these on the buffet DO NOT SKIP THEM!! In fact, eat as many as you can because it will probably be the only time you see them during your cruise!

The All Clear announcement was made at 8:30 am. We put on our bathing suits with our clothes on top and were able to get off of the ship at 8:45 am. I guess this is a good spot to pause and explain how we booked Atlantis without having to spend a ton of money!

As I was researching, we found that day passes through Atlantis were cheaper than booking through DCL directly, but still pretty pricey. However, we really have not ever gone to a big water park before with the kids, so this was something we were really interested in doing. I came across a post on Facebook or a travel blog or something that said if you book one night at the Comfort Suites Paradise Island, everyone in the room gets a wristband that gives all of the same access to Atlantis as guests staying at the resort. Already, that would be a huge savings since the room was only a few hundred dollars and would cover all 4 of us vs paying a couple hundred dollars per person. I mentioned it to DH one night, and he said he had gotten a Comfort Suites credit card to get points to book our pre-cruise nights in Miami. So now, we just kept using that card to earn even more points and used them to book the one night at the Comfort Suites in the Bahamas! In the end, we only paid the taxes on the room out of pocket, plus our taxi rides and food once we were there. The only stipulation for booking the room is that it MUST be reserved in advance, you can’t walk in the same day and ask to pay for one room to get the wristbands.

Back to Wednesday morning, we exited the ship and easily found a taxi to take us to Comfort Suites for $5/person. I was a little nervous something might have gotten lost in translation for doing the resort this way, but it was no issue at all. The woman who checked us in even asked if we were coming from the cruise ship when we showed up with nothing but a couple of backpacks. She was super nice, and said we could still get breakfast if we wanted before going to Atlantis but we were still full from Cabanas. She got us all checked in, we paid the taxes we owed, and she gave us the vouchers to bring over to Atlantis, which is just across the street.

IMG_2933 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2935 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2936 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We kind of wandered around for awhile not really sure where we were supposed to go to trade our vouchers in for wristbands. There are a bunch of high end stores when you walk in. Finally, we ended up asking and we had to take the kids through the casino. All the lights and sounds had DD asking over and over again if she could play just ONE game! Lol

IMG_2939 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

There were some large aquarium tanks right there in the lobby that were super impressive!

IMG_2940 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2944 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2946 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2947 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2948 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Finally we found our way outside to start making our way over to the real reason we were there, the Aquaventure! The outside grounds of Atlantis are sprawling! But before getting to the craziness of the Aquaventure, there were some sweet sea turtles lazily swimming around.

IMG_0440 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0441 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

There were SO MANY of them!!

VIDEO:

IMG_2951 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The first area we came to was the Mayan Temple and there were not a ton of people there yet, so we found some chairs by the pool to make a home base, grabbed some towels, and hit the slides!

The first slide we did was the Serpent Slide, which we did twice in a row. Travel five-stories down in complete darkness, then emerge and float through an acrylic tunnel in a shark-filled lagoon. This was pretty cool! The other inner tubes coming down would push you through the tunnel so you could see the sharks swimming around you as you got to the exit. We also saw someone in there cleaning the tunnel!

P9270106 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270106 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270114 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270116 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270119 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Next we did the Jungle Slide. Take a thrilling safari slide through the exotic jungle-scape and caves built right into the heart of the Mayan temple. This one was a body slide, so still fun AND the added bonus that we didn’t have to carry the tubes up all of the stairs to get to it. But the downfall is that there is just no graceful way to come down a body slide.

P9270120 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270132 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

What’s really cool about Atlantis is that there are just pools and hot tubs literally just everywhere we walked. We didn’t really spend any time at the pools because we only had one day, but it would be amazing to have so many options if staying at Atlantis for a few days. That said, it takes a lot for me to pass up an empty hot tub!

P9270139 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

After a few slides, we were ready to find the Rapids River! I had really been looking forward to this, because I absolutely LOVE a good lazy river, but this one sounded like it was going to take that experience up a few notches. A mile-long river ride with extreme rapids, rolling waves, water escalators, and surprises. There are several spots to enter the Rapids River, and when we first found it, we ended up getting in at the last entry point before you get to the final exit, so we crossed over and started at the beginning.

P9270143 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270148 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270149 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270151 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The conveyor belt was pretty cool!

P9270154 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270157 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270159 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

This is a VIDEO of going through one of the rapids sections!

P9270164 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The water goes fast over the rocks and agitates the water, sending you bouncing all around the river. It was SO fun!

Just found your trip report. It is so fun to read! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to reading more! I remember reading a Disney trip report of yours when your daughter was still a baby... How has so much time passed!?

Wow, there's like no one else there in the audience. Your special encounter sounds so fun and special!

We were in room 7508 which was an oceanview room, and prior to the cruise, we had purchased the Halloween room decoration package as a surprise for the kids.
How fun! Our first Disney cruise was a Halloween cruise on the Magic about 7 years ago and we got that room decoration package for our kids too! We still pull out some of the decorations for Halloween every year!

DD got the kids macaroni & cheese and always asked for a side of fruit, whatever was available. Most nights, Joni could find something for her, but it wasn’t as plentiful or as much of a variety as we’d had on the Fantasy.

That kids plate is so stinking cute with Pascal and the hidden Mickey!

Once we were all together again, we went to the elevators and the kids spotted one of the rubber ducks someone had hidden onboard! They were always on the lookout for them, and we spotted a few more but since we kept this one, we left the others for someone else to find.
So cool that you found some rubber ducks! I recently read that Disney isn't allowing them anymore which I think is a bummer!

We tried to go see Chip & Dale, but their line was already closed. We still got to see them in their adorable costumes though.
I've never seen those Chip & Dale costumes before. So adorable!

Then we went to the family game show, which was kind of like the newlywed game but for kids & parents. Somehow DD convinced me to participate!
You are so brave for getting up there! Good for you! We love the game shows but I don't think I'd have the courage to volunteer!

This is a VIDEO of going through one of the rapids sections!

P9270164 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
Wow! That looks like such a fun lazy river. I'm going to remember your tip for visiting Atlantis for less money than the shore excursions - some of those prices are nuts!

Your DD looks so pretty in her Elsa dress. The desserts - wow! Sometimes I eat a very light dinner so I can fully enjoy the desserts :-) Best part of any meal. What an affordable way to do Atlantis! It really pays to read about others experiences before a trip. I've picked up some great tips or we went to places I would have never known about otherwise. It looks like an awesome water park!

Just found your trip report. It is so fun to read! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to reading more! I remember reading a Disney trip report of yours when your daughter was still a baby... How has so much time passed!?
Welcome back!! I really can't answer that question, I have no idea how it goes so fast myself!
Wow, there's like no one else there in the audience. Your special encounter sounds so fun and special!
I don't know how busy they usually are, but it felt pretty empty that day. Everyone who actually was there at that show was huddled together in the shaded parts of the stadium though. :laughing: It was HOT!! :sunny::sunny:
How fun! Our first Disney cruise was a Halloween cruise on the Magic about 7 years ago and we got that room decoration package for our kids too! We still pull out some of the decorations for Halloween every year!
It's SO cute! We kept it out for Halloween at home this year, and it will definitely be part of our yearly decorating!
So cool that you found some rubber ducks! I recently read that Disney isn't allowing them anymore which I think is a bummer!
I have been reading that on FB a lot lately. It's really a bummer. It's such an easy way to make a little magic for other guests. My kids loved looking for them.
You are so brave for getting up there! Good for you! We love the game shows but I don't think I'd have the courage to volunteer!
I don't know if you watch Bluey, but it made me think of the Dance Mode episode when Bandit announces, "Ladies & gentlemen...I'm doing this for MY KID!" She so desperately wanted to participate and I REALLY didn't want to, but I did it to give her a great memory of the cruise! Luckily, she didn't embarrass me too much!! :rotfl:
Wow! That looks like such a fun lazy river. I'm going to remember your tip for visiting Atlantis for less money than the shore excursions - some of those prices are nuts!
YES, they can get really outrageous!!! I was so happy to find a better way that worked for us. I don't think we'd have enjoyed ourselves as much had we spent 3 or 4 times what we did.
Your DD looks so pretty in her Elsa dress. The desserts - wow! Sometimes I eat a very light dinner so I can fully enjoy the desserts :-) Best part of any meal. What an affordable way to do Atlantis! It really pays to read about others experiences before a trip. I've picked up some great tips or we went to places I would have never known about otherwise. It looks like an awesome water park!
I love that she still enjoys dressing up on our trips, even though at home she tells me she is "too old" for Disney princesses. :sad:

DH definitely has the same mindset of eating less during the meal to save room for desserts. It was hilarious to us that the night we wanted to go all out and try one of each was the night they brought us 3 extra desserts for our celebrations!!

I don't remember where I saw that tip about Atlantis, but I was SO SO glad I found out so I am happy to share those kinds of tips for others! DCL is so expensive already, any way we can save on other things is such a plus!!

Day 04 Continued: Wednesday September 27th

It was about 11:30 by then, and we were starting to get hungry, so we started walking back to our chairs by the Mayan temple to dry off and figure out what to do about lunch. DD wanted to be silly and pretend to be one of the statues.

P9270166 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

And she had seen this big heart swing on the way in, but there were always people there taking photos and videos for Instagram or TikTok. But we passed it this time and no one was around, so we let her get a swing on it.

P9270169 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We had seen a Shake Shack on the way in, so we decided to there to grab some food. It was pretty expensive for some burgers and fries, but it filled us up.

IMG_2952 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2953 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We ate at the chairs, then decided we had gotten our fill of the Mayan Temple slides and wanted to go over to try the ones at the Power Tower. It was about 12:30 by this time, and while it was noticeably busier than when we had gotten there in the morning, it still was not bad at all. September is probably one of the slower times to go, I can only imagine that it is a lot more crowded during the summer and hard to do everything with longer waits for the slides.

We found a new home base by one of the pools near the Power Tower to leave our stuff and went to try the slides there. We had NO idea what we were in for! First, we did the Surge Slide. Brave a camel back drop into a cavern with quick downward twists and turns into white-water rapids. This was an intense drop! It was like a much faster, much more intense Aquaduck on the Fantasy. I felt like I was going so fast, it was pushing my head back!

Here is a VIDEO of DD’s descent:

P9270180 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I think DH must have given up on taking photos, because there really aren’t any more of us doing any of the slides. We did also experience The Drop: Drop through darkness, then enjoy open-air twists and turns before splashing down into the Rapids River. Lastly, we did The Falls: This slide shoots you 58 feet to ground level, then propels you through a water rollercoaster of twisting tubes.

In that time, I saw someone who I recognized from the ship and asked if they were there booked through DCL and what time their bus was picking them up. She said they had to be at the bus for 3, so we figured that would be a good time for us to head back to the port as well. After the water slides, we spent the rest of our time just going around the Rapids River, because we all really enjoyed it a lot! The other fun thing about the Power Tower slides was that not only were they wilder, they also all ended in the Rapid River.

Around 2:15, we decided we had done the slides enough and we were ready to get dried off for good and dressed. We thought maybe we could check out the aquarium before getting a taxi. We went back to our chairs, and it was close by a set of restrooms. DD and I went to change out of our suits and back into clothes, but DH and DS decided they would dry enough to just stay in their suits and rashguard shirts to go back to the ship.

DD was enjoying having control of the camera, and she wanted to take a picture of me and DH.

P9270182 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We gathered up our stuff and started walking around looking for the aquarium. There was a cavern walkthrough that had some tanks to view that we came across.

P9270185 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270187 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

That was all we could find! Lol We walked a little bit, but the resort is so sprawling and huge, we didn’t think we had enough time to figure out where this aquarium was and still have time to enjoy it. The kids were pretty tired and ready to head back to the ship anyway. We made our way back towards the tower with DD requesting a photo op on the way back.

P9270189 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

One of the other lagoons we crossed over to get to the building had some sawfish, which are both weird and cool looking.

P9270195 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270197 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270198 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

After a slow walk through the property, we made it back to the tower.

P9270202 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

P9270217 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0442 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0445 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2954 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0448 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0450 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0452 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DH had read that any exit from the tower will have taxis waiting outside, and that was also our experience. We walked back through the casino and exited to find a few taxis, and the drivers were out organizing groups to fill a small van to go back to the port. It was very easy, and again only $5/person plus tip. We just had to wait a few minutes for them to have enough passengers and we were on our way back to the port.

I took this photo when stopped at a stoplight, and I even said to my family at the time, “I am probably going to see this photo later and have no memory of why I took it,” and I can report right now that is exactly what happened!! I had to call DS and DH to look at the photo and remind me. I even said, “The only thing I remember about taking this photo is that I said I wasn’t going to remember why I took it.”

IMG_2960 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

When we were planning our first trip out to Aulani a couple of summers ago, we watched a lot of YouTube videos together as a family. One channel we found showed a lot of aspects of the resort, but the couple making the videos had a habit of saying that everything was “Relaxing…Lots of fun!” It became our go-to phrase on that trip because we would giggle every time one of us said it. At this stoplight, we noticed that the sign said “Lots of Fun” and “Relaxing” and it made us all laugh!

Farewell, Atlantis!

IMG_2962 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Some quick overall thoughts on Atlantis…we totally enjoyed this day a lot! I will qualify this by saying we did not have to pay a lot to be there by booking the room at the Comfort Suites and using credit card points to do so. Also, we have never taken the kids to a real water park before. If we had spent a lot of money and/or been to other large water parks, we might not have found this to be as worth it. Also, the crowds were not bad since it was an off time of year. We had time to do all of the slides we wanted to do, and multiple times if we wanted. Most times we could just walk right up and get on the slide with only a couple of people ahead of us. There were a few other slides we did not do by choice, the drop body slides, but those also did not seem to have long waits either. We all had a really great time, and we did not regret booking this for our Nassau day!

We were back at the port and on the Magic by 3:30 pm.

IMG_0455 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Once back on board, we went straight to our room to shower and relax. The sun and walking around the expansive Aquaventure had really gotten us beat! We rested in the room until a little after 5, then we went to meet some characters before dinner. It was Pirate Night, so the characters were appropriately dressed for the occasion!

We went to Deck 4 to see Mickey for his 5:15 set. Down below, Captain Hook and Mr. Smee were meeting.

IMG_2964 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2968 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2970 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Soon enough it was our turn to meet Pirate Mickey.

IMG_0457 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DD had drawn a picture of Mickey in the Oceaneers Lab, and she wanted to bring it for him to see. His reaction was so cute!

VIDEO:

IMG_2987 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2971 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0459 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2981 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2989 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2992 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2995 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We also had a great interaction with Mickey’s attendant Becca! If you have followed our previous cruise TRs, you might remember we have a very special CM close to our hearts named Raf! A few weeks before this cruise, I sent him a message asking which ship he was on, but he is not on social media a lot so as it got closer to the cruise date, I reached out to a friend of his Becca. She was the CM on our last cruise that had helped Raf decorate our room door with some fun Stitch decorations.

IMG_4891 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Becca responded back that she was not sure what Raf was up to but that she knew he had recently gotten married! We are so happy for him! But she also mentioned she herself was on the Magic and we should say hi if we saw her. She is friends with several princesses and I was not sure how we’d go about this if we did see her, so I was glad we saw her at this time so we could have a quick conversation. I thanked her for reaching out to Raf for us and asked her to pass on our congratulations to him on his wedding. She is so sweet! We will have photos with one of her friends later in the cruise ;)

Last edited:
Day 04 Continued: Wednesday September 27th

After that, we headed to dinner! We were at Lumiere’s again, and the kids had pirate hat menus.

IMG_0463 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_2997 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_3001 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_3004 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We could see Atlantis drifting away as we set sail.

IMG_0464 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0465 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

This was our first time getting the pirate menu at dinner. Since both of our previous cruises had been Star Wars Day at Sea sailings, we’d had a special Star Wars menu so although we did have Pirate Night, it was not a special menu.

Again, I was the only one to get an appetizer.

IMG_3014 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
DEEP FRIED CALYPSO CRAB CAKE
With Cajun Remoulade, Green Onion and Lemon

This was so good! Probably my favorite appetizer of all of the ones I tried this cruise.

The kids, as expected, both had pizza.

IMG_3015 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_3016 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_3018 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_3019 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The came the entrees! DH got the grouper, and also asked for the lamb shank without the sides because DS had expressed an interest in trying it but was hesitant to get it for his meal. I had the shrimp & scallop pasta.

IMG_0467 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
CORTES’S CILANTRO MARINATED CARIBBEAN GROUPER FILET
With Crab-filled Arepa, Roasted Yucca and a Mango, Lime, Avocado, Red Onion and Black Bean Salsa

IMG_3021 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
JACK’S TREASURE-OF-THE-SEAS
Grilled Shrimp and Seared Scallops served with Spinach, strings of Pasta, Tomato Provençal Sauce and black Tomato Pearls

IMG_0468 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
CHEVALLE'S LAMB SHANK
Rosemary Lamb Shank Slowly Braised in Red Wine Served with Buttered Green Beans and Parsnip Mash

IMG_3024 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

It was a good choice just to get the lamb shank as an extra entree because DS did not like it, but I did! I ate a few bites but wanted to save room for dessert. We all ordered the kids dessert, the brownie with ice cream.

IMG_3025 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0469 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
BUCCANEER'S WARM CHOCOLATE BROWNIE
Fudge Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cookie center, Vanilla Ice Cream

We were all feeling the sweets that night. The kid also asked for extra ice cream with their brownies. I had the tart and DH got the rum cake and the sundae.

IMG_3028 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_3027 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
CARAMEL MACADAMIA NUT CHEESECAKE TART
Served with Whipped Cream and Caramel Ganache

This dessert was sooooooo delicious!!

IMG_0471 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
RUM SOAKED CHOCOLATE CAKE
With Raspberry Glaze and Whipped Cream

IMG_0473 by disneymom1024, on Flickr
PIRATE’S TREASURE SUNDAE
Rum and Raisin Ice Cream, Pineapple, Whipped Cream and Florentine shard

Dinner service was pretty quick this night because 2 of Joni and Angel’s other tables didn’t come to dinner! He was able to keep our courses moving pretty quickly.

After dinner, we all split up. DD wanted to go to the kids club and DS went off to Edge, so DH and I decided to go to 90’s Music Trivia at O’Gill’s. We got there a little early so it was easy to get a little table tucked away by a window.

IMG_3030 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I had a total blast at this, and knew a lot more of the songs than I remember knowing at the 90’s Music Trivia we did on a previous cruise! The best part is when we go through the answers and get to listen to more of the songs.

However, there was one frustrating element to this night. We completely and totally missed the fireworks! I checked in the app several times to make sure I was not missing something, but the description of the pirates deck party did not mention fireworks at all. And even when Joni and our head server came by the table, they mentioned the deck party but did not say anything about fireworks. I remember in the past that it was very clear on the app and the information from our servers that fireworks were happening that night. In fact, I think I even remember that there were separate events listed in the app as a deck party and then fireworks at a different time. But as we were sitting there jamming to some fun 90’s tunes, we spotted fireworks blasting out of the window.

VIDEO:

IMG_0475 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We were a little bummed to have missed them, but as we talked about it, we weren’t sure we’d have gone out to see them anyway even if we had known. We enjoyed the fireworks a lot on our last couple of cruises and had two nights of them since we’d had the Star Wars Day at Sea fireworks also. The weather was drizzly and humid and we had already showered, so I don’t think we’d have wanted to venture out into that anyway. I asked in our cruise FB group once we got back, and many others seemed to have been confused about this as well, so I don’t think it was just us. Some even mentioned that possibly because of the weather, there had been discussion of the fireworks not being able to happen also, so maybe that is why they were not advertising it heavily? I really don't know. We tried not to let it mess with our night.

The entertainment for the night was a magician named Eric Jones, and before the kids had split off to their clubs, we had asked if they wanted to come see him with us. DD did but DS didn’t, so we went to grab her from the Club.

IMG_3032 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Heading into the theater, we spotted a rubber duck hidden in the Preludes sign, but we left him for another family to find.

IMG_3033 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We were able to get seats pretty close to the stage.

IMG_3034 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

He was SO funny and entertaining!! If you have a chance to see him on a cruise, it is absolutely worth it! He does a lot of audience participation, particularly with kids, which led to an absolutely adorable moment with a little boy named William who was 4 years old. He raised his hand to tell Eric that he could do magic too, and just started walking up to the stage with his pirate hook toy. Eric let him come up and said to show the audience what he could do. William instructed the entire audience to close their eyes, and he would tell us when to open them again, then he went to hide his hook behind a wall on the stage. It was so freaking cute, and the audience was loving it!!

Eric took control of the show after that and sent William back to his parents, then entertained us until a little before 10. We all thoroughly enjoyed his show, and he said he’d be doing an event later in the cruise that was more about showing some behind the scenes of his tricks, so we found that in the app and set it as a favorite to make sure we attended.

After the show, we went back to the room to get ready for bed.

IMG_3037 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DS was the night owl of the family. He was out at Edge doing karaoke until 11:30!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter