I know it's going to be hot and miserable, but August tips/hints?

bear_mom

DIS Veteran
I didn't have an option on travel dates. We normally go end of April/beginning of May when it can be hot, but not crazy hot. This year dd and I are going towards the of August.

I know we will go for rope drop/morning EMH, back to the resort for the afternoon, then back to the park in the evening. Hopefully the hours will get extended some....

Any specific tips and hints from those who have been to help make the trip more enjoyable?

Take a lot of breaks and drink a lot of water. I am not a person who likes heat, but we go every summer since that is the only time we can. Afternoon breaks are a necessity and usw the many indoor attractions, dining options abd stores to your advantage.

I love the weather in the summer and the heat doesn't bother me at all. With that said I do have friends who go with me that really don't like the heat. They wear plenty of sunscreen, wear a hat that provides good shade for the face and we all drink water all day. Also, take your time and don't rush.

I'm planning July 31st through August 7, 5 nights Disney and 2 nights USO. This will be our 3rd Annual "We will never to go Disney in August" trip. We are from Houston, TX though so we are used to the heat. I love late nights in the parks! Take ponchos! Our normal routine is breakfast in the room, rope drop and park until lunch, back to hotel for afternoon break, then dinner around 6:00 and parks until dark. If it's a really late night we'll sleep in the next day and schedule our FP+'s for later.

[QUOTE="isaboo, post: 53109144, member: 474140" This will be our 3rd Annual "We will never to go Disney in August" trip. [/QUOTE]

Lol- This June will be our 12th "never again in the summer" trip to Disney. We went last August- first time for that time of year and it made June seem cool. Seriously hot and miserable. I can't add anything to the great tips already suggested except I brought double the clothes. We took afternoon breaks, swam and I'd put on fresh clothes for the evening. Tons of clothes, but it's the only way I could stand to do it.

We've been in June, July, August AND September.

Yep, all are hot! BUT totally do-able and we have had a great time on every trip.

Our strategy has been to wake up early, do our park touring first thing and then head back to the resort for lunch/nap/hanging out by the pool. Then we shower, change and head back to an evening park for dinner. Park hours are later in the summer, so we do most of our touring before noon and after 7.

Other suggestions: drink LOTS of water (most CS locations will give you free cups of ice water), allow yourselves to rest in attractions with A/C, pace yourself and do whatever you can to avoid the parks mid-afternoon.

Have a wonderful time, we have loved our summer trips and will be back this June!

All of the above advice is great. I like the suggestion by cakebaker of fresh clothes in the evening.
Only thing to add: Frogg Toggs- we love our frogg toggs as they seriously bring down your body temperature!

We are going July 4th and I have bought some Brita water bottles, some little fans with water and ponchos. I have been debating on the Frogg Toggs and may end up buying some before the trip.

When I moved here two years ago a few of my friends laughed at me and told me I would never be able to handle Florida's hot summers. I laughed at them. I used to live in Las Vegas. It doesn't get hot in Florida, medium at the most. And so far I have yet to be uncomfortable here. But last summer I did visit Las Vegas and it was 108, twenty degrees hotter than it was in Florida at that time. It rarely gets into the 90s here. Fortunately for me the humidity doesn't bother me in the least. So my advise is to visit Las Vegas for a week before visiting WDW and you will need a sweater when you get here.

We always go in the summer (I have a TR for our August trip last year in my signature). We'll be there again in July. Obviously we are gluttons for punishment! Echoing the others - drink lots of water(we bring filter bottles), LOTS of sunscreen...youngest DS bought one of the fan sprayers and we all appreciated that, too. Really, it's all about pacing yourself and knowing your limits. It's not the heat, it's the humidity. We are used to it where we're from, so it's not so bad, but I know it's rough on those from northern climates.
Oh, and it will rain. No "maybe", it just will.

Just roll with the punches and have an awesome trip!!!

A hat with a large brim, an umbrella, go in the early morning and/or evening

Drinks lots and lots and lots of cold water.

We bought a mister fan at the target nearby for like $7 and filled it with ice water and it was ahhhhmazing. I have heard great things about Frogg toggs.

We are going in July and I'm worried too. It's the only time as can go as well, and it's a nine night trip so I'm going to make sure we don't try to do too much. We aren't RD people, so I actually scheduled earlyish dinners and we will do most of our park touring after dinner each night with the exception of AK and USO days. I'm making our FP+ for after dinner each evening. During the days we will swim and go to the water parks. If the weather is nice and we choose to head to a park early we can. I just don't want to wear ourselves down. We toured similar to this in February of past year except of course the weather was beautiful and we went to the parks earlier. I'm hoping it's still a great time. I'm also hoping the park hours are extended some!

We went in august last year and it wasn't bad at all. I found most of the ride lines were well shaded had misters or lines were inside with air conditioning.
Didn't seem like we were in the direct sunlight very much.
Like others said go in the am and evening and you will be fine.

I'm not put off by the heat/humidity too much, since I live in Texas, but I am very fair skinned. However, I suggest drinking as many frozen beverages as you can, like the frozen chai from Royal Anandpur Tea in AK.

I wear a wide brimmed sun hat. I also have some really cool sun hoodies that are super thin, but thick enough to wear without a shirt. They wick moisture too and dry quickly. They are long sleeved, but keeping my skin out of the sun feels much cooler. How do you think people in India and the Middle East can stand wearing such long clothes in the heat? I got the hoodies from Title 9.

I'm not put off by the heat/humidity too much, since I live in Texas, but I am very fair skinned. However, I suggest drinking as many frozen beverages as you can, like the frozen chai from Royal Anandpur Tea in AK.

I wear a wide brimmed sun hat. I also have some really cool sun hoodies that are super thin, but thick enough to wear without a shirt. They wick moisture too and dry quickly. They are long sleeved, but keeping my skin out of the sun feels much cooler. How do you think people in India and the Middle East can stand wearing such long clothes in the heat? I got the hoodies from Title 9.

Which hoodie did you get from there (there are several)? I'll have to look into those - I'm a fair skinned Texan too!

My number one tip for women - if you wear a bra with any padding in it whatsoever change it every time you're in the room. I ended up not caring in the slightest if I changed clothes in the afternoon as long as a swapped out my bra!

Drink lots of water, take breaks in the shade, and even consider going to the pool during the day, and the parks in later afternoon and during the night. With fastpass+ you can set up your rides late at night.

Visit outdoor attractions first thing in the morning, or last thing at night after the sun goes down. If you don't plan on taking a break, use the hottest hours (say, noon to 4pm) for indoor shows and theater type attractions. Schedule a TS lunch to get in out of the heat. Eat light, but drink lots of water. Take individually packaged or a small package of wet wipes (it's very refreshing to wipe down before reapplying sunscreen). And listen to your body. If you start feeling kind of sick or lightheaded, you've been out in the sun too long - get inside pronto!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter