I like that Disney says "Christmas"

JasonDVC

DIS Veteran
With all the Political Correctness now-a-days having to say "Happy Holidays" and "Seasons Greetings", I think it is great that Disney still says "Merry Christmas". I like that they have the candlelight processional and the "Very Merry Christmas Party" and the choirs singing Christmas songs. My wife and I have our first born on the way and we like the fact that Disney is so family oriented. It is one of the reasons we bought DVC.

Thank you Disney for not caving in to the PC crowd!

I like it too. I am a stay home mommy so I say "Merry Christmas" to everyone....even if they cannot say it back.....I know that its the thing to do and I think everyone should be allowed to say it if they want too.

I think it's sad that people will take a loving, thoughtful idea like inclusiveness and label it "too PC."

I get where you're coming from, I do. But I'm a little curious about something. I chose to say "Happy Holidays" because I like to include everyone no matter what their religion (or lack of) may be. Does that mean I'm not family-oriented? As a non-religious person, I'm a bit confused by your last statement. :(

I get where you're coming from, I do. But I'm a little curious about something. I chose to say "Happy Holidays" because I like to include everyone no matter what their religion (or lack of) may be. Does that mean I'm not family-oriented? As a non-religious person, I'm a bit confused by your last statement. :(

I'm sorry if you interpreted it that way. It just means that religion promotes strong family values and Christmas is a religious holiday.

It's just nice to see at least one corporation remembering what Christmas is actually celebrating and celebrating it.

Don't you find it strange when you see commercials for "Holiday" shopping with a background of decorations traditionally used for Christmas? Or a commerical advertising a "Holiday Tree"? Everyone knows what "Holiday" the tree is for, why don't they just say it?

What is "sad" is some people go crazy shopping for Christmas gifts and they don't even know why they are doing it. What are they celebrating? Do they know why we give gifts at Christmas? Do they know what the word "Christmas" means?

The problem is that not everyone celebrates Christmas. Alot of companies are not saying Merry Christmas (or are expanding what they do say) because they realize that different people celebrate different holidays and they are trying to include everyone. I don't think that's a bad thing and I don't think it deminishes the importance of the holiday.

To be honest, my family doesn't celebrate Christmas. I know that many people live in areas where almost everyone celebrates Christmas and so I understand that in those areas of the country it would seem odd to be greeted with Happy Holidays, but in my neck of the woods there are many families who celebrate Chanukah and many who celebrate Christmas. It is perhaps easier to use the phrase Happy Holidays and to include both holidays than to say Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah and mention the incorrect holiday.

I am not offended when I am shopping and someone says Merry Christmas to me. People can't tell what holiday I celebrate by looking at me. But it can be confusing for children to have shop keepers say Merry Christmas to them. My kids are old enough to say "thank you, Merry Christmas to you too" now, but when they were younger my girls would sometimes say "we don't celebrate Christmas" to people. They were not trying to be rude or make trouble, but they didn't understand. Store employees would sometimes look at my girls very confused at this point.

So please don't be offended or hurt by stores/companies who have made the change. And feel free to address people anyway that makes you happy -- it is in the spirit of the holiday.

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all!

I'm sorry if you interpreted it that way. It just means that religion promotes strong family values and Christmas is a religious holiday.

It's just nice to see at least one corporation remembering what Christmas is actually celebrating and celebrating it.

Don't you find it strange when you see commercials for "Holiday" shopping with a background of decorations traditionally used for Christmas? Or a commerical advertising a "Holiday Tree"? Everyone knows what "Holiday" the tree is for, why don't they just say it?

What is "sad" is some people go crazy shopping for Christmas gifts and they don't even know why they are doing it. What are they celebrating? Do they know why we give gifts at Christmas? Do they know what the word "Christmas" means?

I think that there are a lot of different views and mixed opinions on this. Personally, December 25th to me is a day of tradition and family. And while the 25th to most is the celebration of Jesus' birthday, it's actually unknown if that was actually his date of birth. The date was chosen because it coincides with the winter solstice, which was celebrated by the Romans on that day. Personally, I celebrate it as a secular, cultural event.

I'm not judging or trying to be harsh, I'm just one of those people who does prefer to be PC, because I don't think anyone should be left out. December is a lot of different things to many different people: Christmas, Winter Solstice, Chanukah, Eid-ul-Fitr, Bodhi Day, St. Lucia Day, Maunajiyaras, Shamanism, and Kwanzaa. There are so many different celebrations that don't get the attention that Chrsitmas gets. But still they are there, you know?

Of course, here in the US, 96% of the population are Christians, so the smart and safe bet is to say "Merry Christmas" because more than 9 times out of 10, you'll be using the term with the right person. But, I'd prefer not to take that chance, and that's why I use an open phrase such as "Happy Holidays" so I never feel selective or non-inclusive.

Isn't that what America is about, though? Freedom of speech AND freedom to chose your religious preference? :) I hope you don't take any of this negatively, because it's certainly not my intent! I would never criticise or judge someone because of what they believe, just like I would hope that I wouldn't have to endure that in return.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year :)

I also like the fact that they say Merry Christmas. I think some people are WAY too touchy. It is Christmas season, but its also Haunakkah season as well. Christmas to us is not just a "Holiday", so in our family we say "Merry Christmas". After all we do have CHRISTMAS trees, not holiday trees.

In years past, all I ever heard was "Merry Christmmas". Weren't there folks that celebrated Hanukka, Kwanza, etc. back then too? ?? It just wasn't an "issue". That's the problem these days, everything has to become an issue! If I wished a person "Merry Christmas", and they replied, "I celebrate Hanukkah", then I'd reply "Happy Hanukkah". And we could both go about our day-- no harm, no foul.

If I know what you celebrate, I'll tailor my response to your religion. If it is a stranger I say "Happy Holidays" 1) to be inclusive 2) 'cause I mean your religious celebration, whatever it may be, and also Happy New Year! Most people celebrate more than 1 holiday this time of year, so to me that makes sense.

I work with many people who do not celebrate Christmas, and I do try to say something appropriate for their various religious celebrations throughout the year. It costs nothing to say "Happy Passover" or "Happy Ramadan", and it does seem to be appreciated.

Based on the religion of the number of attendees at WDW, it makes perfect sense for them to say Merry Christmas. But I wouldn't be offended if they had banners with Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, etc.

In years past, all I ever heard was "Merry Christmmas". Weren't there folks that celebrated Hanukka, Kwanza, etc. back then too? ?? It just wasn't an "issue". That's the problem these days, everything has to become an issue! If I wished a person "Merry Christmas", and they replied, "I celebrate Hanukkah", then I'd reply "Happy Hanukkah". And we could both go about our day-- no harm, no foul.

I agree with you....If they say I celebrate x holiday then Id say happy x holiday!!! I dont mean any harm when I say Merry Christmas. Thats what I celebrate. Thats what makes the holidays special being able to wish others well. If I do happen to come across someone who don't celebrate Christmas then I apologize for any harm and go about my business.

I agree with you....If they say I celebrate x holiday then Id say happy x holiday!!! I dont mean any harm when I say Merry Christmas. Thats what I celebrate. Thats what makes the holidays special being able to wish others well. If I do happen to come across someone who don't celebrate Christmas then I apologize for any harm and go about my business.

The bad thing about that though, is that not everyone is so casual about it! I think it's great that you're willing to recognize that not everyone celebrates Christmas! But, the sad part is that there really are people who will give you funny looks of disgust or scorn when and if you tell them "Thanks, but I don't celebrate Christmas" - it's as if you're doing something wrong. And here in the South, the tolerance for people who aren't religious isn't very strong. :(

Again, kudos and much :lovestruc to you for being accepting of other people and their preferences. :)

Yeah, its vacation time! Come here and spend your money!

Disney isn't a religious company - MVMCP is no more Christian than MNSSHP is put on for Pagans. These are marketing opportunities - and Disney feels that Christmas brings in more people (and it does) than general "Holidays."

No one gets Solstice off work - and Hannakah isn't really a big holiday for Jews.

I so agree with the OP. I buy cards that say "Christmas" also. It seems as if some people are trying to obliterate Christmas.

I think it's sad that people will take a loving, thoughtful idea like inclusiveness and label it "too PC."

I agree. I celebrate Christmas so my decorations at home say Merry Christmas and most of my friends/family celebrate Christmas so I say Merry Christmas to them.

The company I work for is owned by a Jewish family, and we have customers of all faiths and cultures, I do not impose Merry Christmas on them, and instead use Happy Holidays or if I know what one celebrates I will express a specific sentiment like Happy Chanukah. Happy Holidays also incorporates Solstice celebrations (which has similar decor to Christmas), New Year's and other days. Also Christmas/Yuletide is a cultural, rather than religious, holiday to a number of people.

I don't begrudge Disney choosing whatever it is they wish as a private company, but if they chose Happy Holidays to be inclusive of all their guests, I don't think it would be because they are caving to PC

Yeah, its vacation time! Come here and spend your money!

Disney isn't a religious company - MVMCP is no more Christian than MNSSHP is put on for Pagans. These are marketing opportunities - and Disney feels that Christmas brings in more people (and it does) than general "Holidays."

No one gets Solstice off work - and Hannakah isn't really a big holiday for Jews.

I celebrate the Solstices, and I take off from work for them too. Gee, and I guess I was wrong when it seemed all my Jewish friends were excited to be celebrating Hanukkah. All that prep time and tradition they put into it - made it seem like a big deal to me.

While "majority rules" is the basic premise in the United States, it does not cover religion, thank goodness. Of course Christmas is just the way Christians tried to win over the Pagans way back when... :banana: I have no problem if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, as I'll take all the good, cheerful feelings sent my way, and I hope they don't mind when I respond "Blessed Yule".

I use the word Christmas because that's what I was indoctrined to call it, through family traditions, commericals and merchandising. But I'm not christian, yet celebrate it as a family holiday and only get all butt hurt when someone assumes I share their beliefs (in a pushy join my church way) just because I enjoy the holiday tidings.
We do the tree because it's fun, I even put out a manger - I feel it teaches DD about the differences in beliefs and she likes to play with it in the christmas village - nothing like the carolers running from the bull and donkey rampaging down the street. And I like a little anarchy in my holiday and I appriciate the sentiments.
I'd like to think that for Disney it's the same - they say Merry Christmas because it's fun. Santa is there because he's fun. Not to exclude or promote any one belief. I fear that everyone will get so bogged down on being PC, or overly loud on who the holiday belongs to that eventually we won't celebrate anything. We're already losing Halloween.

My opionion is that if you celebrate Christmas, then by all means say Merry Christmas. Now, if you have close friends, or people who you work for clebrate Hanukkah, or Kwanza, then I think that it's considerate to take in consideration what it is that that person celebrates. I have many Jewish friends and I would never say Merry Christmas simply b/c I know that it's not what they celebrate.

Now, Disney on the other hand doesn't have a specific Christian audience, and what I think the OP is saying is that most of us applaud Disney for not taking the "easy" road out and just saying "Happy Holidays". It has mostly christian celebrations this time of year and that refreshing as most companies don't want to take a stand with this issue.

I love to hear "Merry Christmas". If it's honestly the Christmas season, say it.

I say "Happy Chanukah" to those that it applies to. I'm sorry, but it has become too P.C.

As for Kwanzaa, it's not a religious holiday. Many African-Americans celebrate both Kwanzaa and Christmas. So, 9 out of 10 times, no offense would be taken.

I send out photo Christmas cards. Some years they say Merry Christmas (which I prefer) other years tey say Happy Holidays. I have friends (1 fmaily) that are Jewish...they used to be Catholic, mom found out she was Jewish by ancestory and converted (still don't understand who you change suddenly, but that is OT). Anyway, I send them a card no matter what it says. They know my beliefs and I hope they see the card as a I'm remembering/thinking of you...she has never said anything that would lead me to believe they are offended by this. Is this totally UN-PC? I do not do it to promote my beliefs...unless you count my belief that we are friends and I care enough to keep in touch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter