I Like Warm Hugs! - Mommy/Toddler Trip ~ Updated 6/20: New Trip Report Link!

Dugette

DIS Veteran
Hello, DIS-friends!! :goodvibes :grouphug:

I am SO excited to do this Trip Report that I can't wait any longer! :cool1: This was a very quick, but amazingly fun-filled and memorable trip and I'm dying to share the fun with everyone!

I normally provide a link to a Pre-Trip Report for those interested, but this trip was rather spontaneous and only has a few random planning posts mixed into my Dec. 2013 TR (Bear Hugs & Piggy Kisses - link in signature), so here's the quick background:

We are a family of three: my DH ("Dug"), me ("Dugette"), and our daughter Izzy, born September 2012. Dug and I shared many fantastic trips to WDW before Izzy came along and had an amazing time taking her for the first time in December 2013. Then we thought we were done for awhile. Turns out, only Dug was. I somehow managed to sweet-talk my way into another DIS-er's June 2014 mommy/daughter trip to ride the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train :flower3:. That trip was a blast (TR pending with Imagineer5) and I upgraded my Park-Hopper ticket to an Annual Pass, in anticipation of taking our next family trip in May 2015. But, if you've had an AP before, you know...it sends pixie dust into your brain while you sleep and you have no choice but to book at least one unanticipated trip. So, yeah, I did that.

It was the news of the Frozen Summer at Hollywood Studios (and the Premium Package for it) that got me to jump. Izzy, like most young kids, was OBSESSED with Frozen. This would be her dream come true! Long story short, I did all the math, got my deals, cashed in gift cards and airline miles, and ended up taking the trip for around $100 out of pocket (we had to leave Dug at home - no AP, so we couldn't afford to bring him :sad2:). Labor Day Weekend only, since I had to be at work before and after. So worth it! As a bonus, Imagineer5 and her daughter (Lauren & Aria) overlapped with us, so we were able to spend a bit of time with them too, especially at the Frozen Summer events. Great to reunite with DIS-friends! :hug:

In case you don't know us yet, this is Izzy and me, right after Minnie passed by in the parade on our first day:

I want to mention that every trip with a little one is so different. Her first trip (14.5 months old), Izzy enjoyed everything and liked characters. Her second trip (21 months old), Izzy had a good time on rides, but was rather character-shy. This trip (23 months old), Izzy loved the characters more than anything (hence the title - she couldn't get enough hugs). It was so much fun, even if the extra character meets did switch up our plans at times. Such great memories! :lovestruc

A side note, for those who followed me over from my other report, I think I am going to attempt the trifecta and write this TR, the Aulani TR, and possibly the June TR at the same time. Oh, and maybe throw in a May 2015 Land & Sea PTR. Maybe I've lost my mind, I don't know. :confused3 But I know people are excited to hear about these trips and I'm excited to write about them. And, hey, it's the beginning of winter here in Minnesota - it will be dark and cold out after Izzy goes to bed each night, so what else have I got to do? :rotfl2: Hope it is not too confusing. I will have separate threads for each and will keep you posted. But consider this the first one officially started! :cool1:

Chapters :surfweb:

Intros
Let's Go Bring Back Summer! - Part 1
Let's Go Bring Back Summer! - Part 2
But I Just Got Here!
Hang On! We Like to Go Fast!
Flawless - Part 1
Flawless - Part 2
I Am One With the Wind and Sky
You Won't Get Away With This
You Should Probably Wait Out Here
I'm Not THAT Princess! - Part 1
I'm Not THAT Princess! - Part 2
Funny How Some Distance Makes Everything Seem Small
They Can Be a Little Bit Inappropriate
Oh. Um. Hi.
Give Me a Snack!
Finally, They're Opening Up the Gates!
Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?
Let It Go!
Of Course We'll Have Soup, Roast, & Ice Cream
It's a Hundred Foot Drop
We Finish Each Other's...Sandwiches!
I Like Warm Hugs!
But Look, I Grew a Mushroom!
I Could Kiss You! - Part 1
I Could Kiss You! - Part 2
Some People Are Worth Melting For - Part 1
Some People Are Worth Melting For - Part 2

And Then Suddenly I Bump Into You
But We Ran All the Way Here?
We'll Be Dancing Through the Night
And This Place...Is Amazing!
The Sky's Awake, So I'm Awake
Why Are You Holding Back From Such a Man?
Don't Fall Off & Don't Get Eaten
I Wanna Stuff Some Chocolate in My Face!
You Have Friends Who Are Love Experts?
Split the Ice Apart!
You Look Beautifuller
Please Go Back Home. Your Life Awaits.

Other Reports Currently in Progress:
Aulani Trip Report Started!!!
Land & Sea Pre-Trip Report Started!!!

Last edited:
I just realized that I never finished your last report, but I'm in for this one! I just got back from my first trip to WDW with a baby, so I am all about reading about others' experiences. I look forward to reading all about your trip with cute little Izzy!:goodvibes

I'm here! Can't wait to see how Izzy handled all the Frozen fun at DHS. Oh, and I just have to say, I love that you go down to WDW without Dug. I'm too terrified to travel without backup. But there's a tiny part of me that thinks it would be a really sweet time. Just you and your kid. So I am curious to see how you felt about it, overall.

popcorn:: joining in, i love any reason to upgrade to an AP!!! Just got to convince DH to renew for next year! popcorn::

joining! I have no idea what you mean by an AP sending pixie dust to your brain, nor the concept of kids being into this "Frozen" that you speak of :rotfl2:

glad it was a good trip though - wasn't sure if crowds would be nuts or not that weekend

Joining in! I was just in Minnesota last weekend visiting my best friend, she goes to University of Minnesota, man was it cold! I'm from New England so I'm used to the cold but when I got back it felt like spring compared to there! Can't wait to read more!

I just realized that I never finished your last report, but I'm in for this one! I just got back from my first trip to WDW with a baby, so I am all about reading about others' experiences. I look forward to reading all about your trip with cute little Izzy!:goodvibes
Glad you're here! :goodvibes How was your trip? I was going to ask if you're doing a TR, but I see you just started one - I'll make my way over when I can. I love reading all the baby/toddler reports!

I'm here! Can't wait to see how Izzy handled all the Frozen fun at DHS. Oh, and I just have to say, I love that you go down to WDW without Dug. I'm too terrified to travel without backup. But there's a tiny part of me that thinks it would be a really sweet time. Just you and your kid. So I am curious to see how you felt about it, overall.
Hi, Alicia! :wave: You know, I never planned to travel with just me and Izzy, but it actually was great and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again - in fact, it really helped prepare me for that solo time with her in Hawaii. And you're right - it really is a sweet time to spend that one-on-one time with your kid in a fun place, just enjoying it together.

I am here as well!! Made the first page. :cool1: Happy writing.
Woo hoo, guess my first page doesn't fill up quite as quick as some others. :rotfl: Glad you're here!

Joining In!

Yup... Annual Passes will do that. ;)
Those darn APs and their magical powers! pixiedust: Glad to have you here, Rob - good to have strong representation from "Canadia" on board! :rotfl:

popcorn:: joining in, i love any reason to upgrade to an AP!!! Just got to convince DH to renew for next year! popcorn::
APs are pretty awesome and dangerous, all at once! :rolleyes1 They are pretty sweet to have. :thumbsup2

subscribing! x
Hi, Emma! Glad you are here! I need to catch up on the end of your TR...will do so soon. :goodvibes

So cute! Can't wait to read more about your unanticipated Frozen trip. :)
:welcome: It was such a fun, little trip! Can't wait to share more.

joining! I have no idea what you mean by an AP sending pixie dust to your brain, nor the concept of kids being into this "Frozen" that you speak of :rotfl2:

glad it was a good trip though - wasn't sure if crowds would be nuts or not that weekend
Haha, yes, these are certainly things you have no experience with. :rolleyes1 It was a really good trip and I didn't feel the crowds were too crazy.

Fuzzy Disney math - must take another trip to get my money's worth out of my AP!!
Gotta love the FDM! :teacher: It's hard to fight the urge to take "bonus" trips with an AP and a free toddler. I have to talk myself down from planning another on a regular basis. :rotfl:

Joining in! I was just in Minnesota last weekend visiting my best friend, she goes to University of Minnesota, man was it cold! I'm from New England so I'm used to the cold but when I got back it felt like spring compared to there! Can't wait to read more!
This past weekend? Or the one before? Cause yesterday was pretty warm (snow melted). But, yeah, it's been unseasonably cold and winter-y here. Anyway, welcome and glad to have you following along! :goodvibes

Hooray for fuzzy Disney math and that annual pass burning a hole in your pocket. I can't wait to hear all about it! :cool1:

(As a side note, I hope all of winter won't be as cold as it was the last few weeks. Spring cannot come fast enough if that kind of cold sticks around...)

Hooray for fuzzy Disney math and that annual pass burning a hole in your pocket. I can't wait to hear all about it! :cool1:

(As a side note, I hope all of winter won't be as cold as it was the last few weeks. Spring cannot come fast enough if that kind of cold sticks around...)
Yay, FDM and AP! :cool1: Yes, this early blast of January/February is no fun! :sad2: Hoping Spring will arrive in a timely manner this year with no April/May snow accumulation. :cold:

Before we really get started, a disclaimer :surfweb:: don’t expect the world’s most impressive photos in this report. Don’t get me wrong – there will be lots of photos and many cute ones, but they were all taken on my good old iPhone 4S, almost always one-handed with a toddler in the other arm. Well, other than the Photopass ones, of course. At any rate, you may notice a lot of vertical pictures and videos, as it was easier one-handed. I also have a lot of blurry photos, as I wanted to document things, but didn’t want to take the time to slow down on such a quick trip. I won’t post all of the blurry ones, of course, but probably some. I find them helpful to show where we were and to remember details. Oh, and expect an inordinate amount of selfies – that’s pretty much the way it goes with one parent and one toddler. At any rate, on with the travel day! (Okay, one more disclaimer: if you do not care about the logistics of travelling with a toddler, feel free to skim this – I am pretty detailed, as I found these types of accounts so helpful to prepare me for travel with a toddler and wanted to pay it forward).

This trip was sandwiched into a 3-Day Labor Day Weekend. I had Monday off of work, but had to be there on both Friday and Tuesday, so we tried to max out the time we had available. Therefore, we had an early-morning flight out on Saturday. I don’t normally go that route, but it was our best option for this trip.

Luckily, we had Dug to drive us to the airport. We left home at 5:06am. Ah, back when it was warm in Minnesota:

Izzy was sleepy with the early-morning wake-up call (as was I), but happy to go to Disney World. We arrived at the airport at 5:35am:

Dug and sleepy Izzy hugged goodbye while I dropped my one checked bag off at curbside check-in (got one free for flying Delta and having their AmEx card):

I was happy to see the bag only weighed in at 36 pounds this time, after having a 52 pound bag last trip…oops! :eek:

I got the stroller set up and attached the carseat to the back of it and got our carry-ons ready to go (pretty much just toys and food for Izzy). Then we bid Dug farewell and headed inside.

We weren’t lucky enough to get the random TSA Pre-Check, so we had to go to the regular line. However, since I had the stroller, I was sent down the special lane on the right for families with babies/toddlers (they opened the rope for me):

The family ahead of us had a really cool carseat/luggage roller thing. Hard to see it here, but you can get a glimpse:

It was basically like pulling a piece of rolling carry-on luggage, but instead of a bag it was a kid in a carseat. At any rate, they were super nice and we chatted for a bit about travelling with little ones. They also offered to help with our stuff, if needed, but I managed okay (guess I’ve had a bit of practice with getting a toddler’s belongings through security at this point…currently 6 round-trip flights with her).

Security was smooth. I managed to get the carseat and stroller on the belt just the right way to go through. They had me carry her through the metal detector with me this time. As usual, they pulled her Thermoses of milk aside for testing (product recommendation: Thermos Foogo straw cups!! Love them when we are out and about – keep drinks cold for 10 hours!) The lady doing the milk testing had a 1-year-old and we chatted about how quickly that first year goes by and the first birthday sneaks up on you. I have to say, this early morning TSA experience was one of the smoothest and friendliest I recall having.

My plan upon clearing security was to go have breakfast at French Meadow Bakery, as we did on our last trip. I passed by our concourse:

I thought I remembered the small French Meadow we ate at last time being down that way, but decided to go to the main one this morning, even though it meant walking a bit out of our way. Once I got there, I changed my mind on sitting down to eat and decided to just get something to go and eat at our gate. It was 6:04am and our flight was at 7am – and I wanted to get there early to request an empty seat for Izzy, if possible (this was shortly before she turned two, so she was flying as a free “lap baby” for the last time).

I gave Izzy a choice between the blueberry muffin or the cinnamon roll (to share). She chose the blueberry muffin, so we got that ($2.99) and took it to our gate. Along the way, we passed the smaller French Meadow location and it was not yet open for the day! So, I guess I chose wisely by going to the bigger one, yay!

When we got down to our gate, there were already gate agents at the desk, so I went straight there. I had checked the seating prior via the website and it showed I still had an empty seat next to me (empty middle and I had window), so I asked them if that was still the case and I could bring her carseat onboard. They said that it was, but they would move me up to another row instead, as there was a dog in our row. I joked that Izzy would LOVE having a dog near her, so they offered to let me stay there, but I decided to go with the row change as the goal was for Izzy to get some rest after her early wake-up and the dog would probably distract her. (We did occasionally hear the dog during the flight, which Izzy pointed out, "Doggie!") The whole thing was super quick and painless and the gate agents were really nice. I guess all the people working at MSP in the early hours are morning people. :thumbsup2

After taking care of that, we found some open seating across the way and sat down to eat. I let Izzy take the first bite. However, she has a thing about broken food – it’s NOT allowed – so, she freaked out when I tried to split the muffin with her. She insisted, “Mine!!” and wouldn’t let me touch it. So, yeah, my toddler stole my breakfast. I knew that she’d get full sooner or later and I’d just have the rest, though, so I stood by with rumbly tummy and watched this:

So, if you can peel your eyes away from the giant yummy baked good, you can see her milk Thermos I’d pulled out. It generally doesn’t leak (especially when closed), but she had opened it and then knocked it over just right that it was pouring out into her stroller through the straw! I noticed right after I took that picture and began the clean-up and closed the bottle. (Also, tip time: bring a rag when travelling and make it easy to reach). Izzy kept on munching:

She was really enjoying her muffin, but she’s not the fastest eater, so I started getting anxious about getting a bathroom/diaper break in before it was time to board. Since she was in her stroller, I rolled us down the hall to the nearest restroom. Turned out to be a very small one and none of the stalls were even big enough to fit a stroller in. I decided to go out in search of another restroom. (My new airport rule of thumb: if the restroom is crowded, just keep walking – it’s an airport, there are many of them! I found this really helpful on our Hawaii trip too – line out the door of nearest restroom? No problem. Walk slightly further and there will be a nearly empty one.)

So, the next one I found was a family restroom, which I love! And it was super nice and new-looking. I actually felt compelled to take pictures of it:

Yep, still going to town on that muffin!

I used the facilities, then put the muffin in the bag and got Izzy’s diaper changed and got her muffin-face and hands cleaned. As we headed back to our gate, I snuck a couple bites of muffin, then wrapped it back up to eat on the flight, as it was already time to board!

We actually did not board quite as early as we could have (missed family boarding), since I still had to fold the stroller and bag it and get us and all of our stuff up there. The gate agent scanned my boarding pass and we headed down the jetway. This is always the hardest part about dealing with luggage for me – the stroller is not particularly heavy, but it’s awkward and challenging to carry it in a bag over your shoulder, all while carrying the other kid-accessories and possibly your kid. This time, I believe I had one backpack over each shoulder (Izzy’s and mine), the carseat in one hand, and the stroller bag over my shoulder also. And Izzy walking with me. We made it down to the gate check area and plopped down the stroller with relief. Until I immediately realized that I had forgotten to get one of the pink gate-check tags for it. Oops! Normally they catch those things as or before you board. I really had no choice but to ask the flight attendant to help me at that point, as I couldn’t go back out to the gate. She seemed sort-of annoyed, but took care of it.

We boarded with Izzy walking onto the plane and down the aisle on her own, and me trailing and holding her carseat (and the backpacks, of course). It’s always such a pain to carry a carseat down the aisle in Coach Class – SO narrow! First Class (Hawaii) was definitely better in that way! People seemed to think it was cute seeing her walking down the aisle. The guy in our aisle seat was already there and was very nice. I found out later that he had two young boys of his own at home (15 months and 3 years – he showed me a picture – proud daddy!). So, he didn’t mind having a toddler in his row at all. He was super accommodating too, as we monopolized his seat temporarily while getting set up. I had Izzy sit in my seat while I got her carseat installed in the window seat. Once that was ready, I got her in and arranged our stuff and sat down, as did the aisle guy.

Izzy started off by “reading” one of her Frozen books (her backpack was filled with toys and books for the flight):

Elsa socks? Check!

She enjoyed looking out her window at airplanes and luggage trains:

We left only a few minutes behind our 7am schedule:

I gave her a blankie, but she didn’t settle in for a nap yet. But the flight safety card is always good reading:

I closed the window shade to help Izzy settle in for sleep, but she was more interested in removing and putting her shoes back on, which would be a theme for the trip. They are sparkly Cinderella shoes and the sun was catching them and creating sparkles everywhere:

Oh, yeah, socks need to be removed too, of course:

(In Hawaii, we had many a cry coming from the backseat of the car when she got her socks off and couldn’t get them back on!)

Time for another Frozen book! Izzy really likes this one – it’s a counting with Olaf book:

By the way, she has recently started counting to 10 all on her own. So cool!

And to continue the Frozen theme, I had picked up a little Frozen invisible ink/sticker book before the trip, so gave her that to play with:

You see that marker (the invisible ink one)? She lost the cap very quickly. No clue where it went. I searched the floor and couldn’t find it anywhere. After we landed, I asked the lady in front of us if she saw it anywhere and she searched around and didn’t see it. I took a good look at the floor before getting off the plane and didn’t see it either. Oh, well, just wrapped the marker in the plastic that the book came in.

Izzy wanted me to draw doggies on her magnadoodle:

We enjoyed snacking on airline pretzels:

Izzy loves pretzels, so she was happy. I was happy because I had my own seat and tray table that Izzy couldn’t interfere with from her carseat. So, I was able to enjoy a Diet Coke with no fear of her spilling it (I always ask for a full can – gotta get my money’s worth out of flights – or miles’ worth, in this case, I guess). I also ate the rest of the blueberry muffin at some point.

We used Flexperks miles for this flight, and one of the perks is that they will reimburse you for up to $25 of in-flight expenses. So, I purchased one of each snack box to take with us for later. And we still had enough of the $25 leftover to get another snack box on the way home! Since I didn’t want to consume them right away, I stashed them in Izzy’s toy bag for the time being:

Up next: We get to MCO and the magic begins, after more fun on the plane.

wow, you really do have this whole airport travel with a toddler thing down! Those family areas for the security check are so helpful when they have them ... at least for me, at least we feel like we aren't holding up business travelers or anyone who might get annoyed but more likely other families in similar situations.

Wow, already having to deal with slumming it with the huddled masses back in (ick!) coach! :rotfl2:

Glad things worked out and you got that extra seat and a good seat-neighbor ... definitely makes things easier

OK, I will give you credit at least for acknowledging vertical pictures and *shudder* vertical video. I understand the circumstances and at least you know it's so TOTALLY WRONG, so you get a pass, lol. :)

Haha, I would probably choose the dog aisle just because it would probably help make the flight seem shorter. Plus... Dogs are awesome.

You guys are pros! It looks like you had a pretty smooth morning, which always makes the trip better. Izzy seems like she is an awesome little traveler :)

I'm here! I've slacked on the Dis lately since we had to cancel our Feb trip. Too painful lol. But Izzy is just too cute to miss!

SECOND PAGE???? I'm on the second page!?! Total fail. LOL

ok now I'm gonna go read it. Just had to complain first ;) :goodvibes :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter