I Love Credit Cards and Japan!

United also has some routes between cities in Japan on ANA for 5.5K.
This brings up a question: trains or planes for getting from city to city? I had assumed we'd be taking trains all this time and hadn't considered cheap flights until your post

This brings up a question: trains or planes for getting from city to city? I had assumed we'd be taking trains all this time and hadn't considered cheap flights until your post
Trains are more convenient, but with the recent increases to the cost of a rail pass, they're also usually more expensive. So, I guess it depends on your budget.

I think most people do the trains. However, I need to get from Tokyo to Nagasaki and it is 7 hrs by train and only 2 to fly. Plus the train requires 2 stops and is more expensive. So, it just makes more sense for us to fly. Then we have to get from Hiroshima to Okianawa. No bullet train option for that, so we will fly that leg, and then fly back to Tokyo. I am bummed that we don't get to do the bullet train more.

I’m planning to visit Japan next year, and I’m super excited to see Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. I’ve heard they are amazing and unique parks that offer a lot of fun and magic. 🎡🎇

I’ve been doing some research on how to plan a trip to Japan, and I found some useful tips online. For example, I learned that it’s important to hire a pocket wifi or buy a 4G SIM card for your phone when visiting Japan, because free wifi is not very common there. I also learned that you don’t need to buy a Japan Rail Pass unless you plan to travel a lot between different regions And of course, I learned that the best time to visit Japan is spring or autumn, because the weather is mild and the scenery is beautiful.

I’m curious to know more about your Japan trip planning. How long are you going to stay there? Which cities are you going to visit? What are you most looking forward to see or do? Do you have any tips or recommendations for us? That would be great help!

From Tokyo to Osaka, we take the train. It's only 2.5 hours by shinkansen. We've been able to fly out of Osaka, so we save the trip back to Tokyo. Last time was KIX-LAX on JAL (had to reposition home). Next time we're flying back from Hokkaido and I was able to get CTS-HND-SFO on one ticket.

For example, I learned that it’s important to hire a pocket wifi or buy a 4G SIM card for your phone when visiting Japan, because free wifi is not very common there.

If your phone supports it, I find eSIMS really convenient. We used Airalo Ubigi last time. Nothing to pick up or return. We set it up at home and it's all ready to go when we get there.

ETA: correction, we used Ubigi.

Last edited:

Depends on what city pairs and your personal preferences. Planes are more likely to get delayed due to weather and require more advance planning. In most cases, the bus to the airport will be less convenient than getting to the main train station.

But planes can often be cheaper and allow you to earn and use miles. This can be useful for earning elite status in certain programs and there are some redemption sweet spots. Some airports also have some fun things to see and do.

If your phone supports it, I find eSIMS really convenient. We used Airalo last time. Nothing to pick up or return. We set it up at home and it's all ready to go when we get there.
I’ve never heard of Airalo before, but it sounds like a good option for travelers. How was your experience with them? How much did they charge you for the data plan? And how was the coverage and speed in Japan?

I usually use Expatica for my eSIMS when I travel abroad. They have affordable and flexible plans for different regions and countries. They also have good customer service and support. I’ve used them in Europe and Asia, and I was very satisfied with their service.

I’ve never heard of Airalo before, but it sounds like a good option for travelers. How was your experience with them? How much did they charge you for the data plan? And how was the coverage and speed in Japan?

I usually use Expatica for my eSIMS when I travel abroad. They have affordable and flexible plans for different regions and countries. They also have good customer service and support. I’ve used them in Europe and Asia, and I was very satisfied with their service.

Oops, I remembered wrong. We used Ubigi, not Airalo. I get the 2 confused because we were deciding between them for Europe. For Japan, Ubigi was $15 for 10GB, 30 days. It worked well except for one day at TDL in crowded areas the connection would cut in and out.

Oops, I remembered wrong. We used Ubigi, not Airalo. I get the 2 confused because we were deciding between them for Europe. For Japan, Ubigi was $15 for 10GB, 30 days. It worked well except for one day at TDL in crowded areas the connection would cut in and out.

You have to change to 3G when that happens because it's usually 5G and 4G that get overloaded.
Just curious, how often did you have issues in the park? Last month, I only had issues when waiting for Believe to start at Disneysea but the 3G trick got me stable internet again.

You have to change to 3G when that happens because it's usually 5G and 4G that get overloaded.
Just curious, how often did you have issues in the park? Last month, I only had issues when waiting for Believe to start at Disneysea but the 3G trick got me stable internet again.

Good to know, thanks!

We had the issue while in line at Pooh's and Gadget's. But no issue our DisneySea day.

From Tokyo to Osaka, we take the train. It's only 2.5 hours by shinkansen. We've been able to fly out of Osaka, so we save the trip back to Tokyo. Last time was KIX-LAX on JAL (had to reposition home). Next time we're flying back from Hokkaido and I was able to get CTS-HND-SFO on one ticket.
I think we are going to do just Tokyo and Osaka. Would you recommend flying in to Tokyo and
train to Osaka and flying back home from there or reverse? The plan was 7 nights Tokyo and 3
Osaka. Thks

I think we are going to do just Tokyo and Osaka. Would you recommend flying in to Tokyo and
train to Osaka and flying back home from there or reverse? The plan was 7 nights Tokyo and 3
Osaka. Thks

We've flown into Tokyo and out of Osaka twice, but it was more due to the itinerary or availability of award flights than anything else. Since your time in Tokyo is longer, that could be an argument to start there while you recover from jetlag.

Are they all day rides up and back or how long? thanks
We went in 2019 and spent some time in Tokyo, took a bullet train to Kyoto and spent 6 or so days in that area, then took a bullet train back to Tokyo for Disney. The bullet train ride from Tokyo to Kyoto is about 2 hours. It’s super fast. Next year we’re staying in Tokyo and doing day trips from there but won’t be going as far as Kyoto

Osaka. Thks
If it were me, I would try flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka. But it all depends on who you’re flying with and how you’re planning to book flights because sometimes with rewards flights you take whatever you can get lol

I used a pocket wifi with unlimited data, it worked great. Of course you can get e sim cards, but I mean if I'm using my phone most of the day I didn't want to take the chance of using too much data. One less thing to carry though if you don't go that route. At the same time, pocket wifis are usually very small. The best tip I can give is to download a local version of the Google map to save you a ton of data. Otherwise you may literally end up using 1gb+ just to download the map everytime.

For flights, if you're willing to pay extra, premium economy ANA is completely worth it. The flagship lounge in Haneda and the extra comfort is well worth it. Also, if you book through ANA make sure it is an ANA operated plane. Some ANA planes are operated by united and are the same price for vastly inferior service.

Also absolutely take the shinkansen, it is way more comfortable than flying, and it's easier.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter