I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partly caught up before I head to the gym. Weight day so no reading the boards while I workout like on running days.

Use discounted gift cards.

And now I see it is no longer available.

Even if I saved 10% it still wouldn't put it where I'd be ok with it. Pretty sure it was $60 or something else equally ridiculous for an umbrella, as cool as it is, that I'd rarely use. I'll just stick to my DLP one and whatever else I have under the bed that I never use :) Only use a big umbrella when it's raining to take Dude out to help keep him dry while I have a hood on :)

Thanks! I'll look at that and compare to the Hilton rewards to see what is better.

I'm going to assume that you haven't been following this thread for that long? Apologies if you already know some of this.

in general, URs are more valuable. If you're willing to do business cards, the most lucrative offer is the Chase Ink Preferred (CIP). That's at 80k URs. If you have a Player 2 (often a spouse) that's willing to get cards, you can then refer them for 20k points. Many things you might not normally think of as a business can count - selling on eBay, tutoring, babysitting, consulting, rental properties, etc. URs are worth 1 cent per point (cpp) if you cash them out. So the 80k would be $800. Or if you book travel through the Chase portal with the CIP, they are worth $1000 (since points are worth 1.25 cpp with CIP). They are worth 1.25 with the Chase Sapphire Preferred as well (which is a personal card). If you get the Chase Sapphire Reserve (also a personal card), they are worth 1.5. That one comes with a large annual fee of $450, but $300 is easily recouped as a travel credit (it also includes other benefits).

The thing with Chase cards is that they won't let you get any of their cards if you have had 5 personal cards within the last 24 months (what we call 5/24). This is why we often advise getting business cards. Most of these (depending on the card issuer) don't report to your personal credit report and so does not add to your 5/24. If you want to get into this churning game, you may only want to get the AmEx Hilton business card (that won't add to your 5/24). The thing to know about AmEx though, is that if you get their card, get the points, then don't spend on it anymore, you may get the pop-up when you go to apply for another card saying that you're not eligible for the bonus. Canceling cards also increases this risk.

So second part of my Hilton Honors evening fun. We're going to Vegas in Nov. I read on Points with a Crew that I can take DH's Hilton Ascend Gold status and match to Whydham Diamond Status and then take that and get Ceasars Diamond Status. It's got quite a few benefits we'd use including $100 dining and free ticket shows (not to mention free parking and no resort fees if we change resorts and stay at one of their hotels instead of Bellagio.) Has anyone successfully done this and know how long it takes? I only submitted the Whydham part so far and it says "we'll have a team look at this."

I did this before our trip in April. Matching to Wyndham was very quick, maybe a day or 2. Matching to Caesars was super slow and I ended up messaging them and getting them to manually do it after 2 weeks of waiting. Also, just an FYI that the waived resort fee didn't count on my stay booked with URs and the $100 dinner credit apparently needed to be activated at customer service and required a week to show up, so we didn't get to use it as it didn't show up until we were back home.

I'm going to assume that you haven't been following this thread for that long? Apologies if you already know some of this.

in general, URs are more valuable. If you're willing to do business cards, the most lucrative offer is the Chase Ink Preferred (CIP). That's at 80k URs. If you have a Player 2 (often a spouse) that's willing to get cards, you can then refer them for 20k points. Many things you might not normally think of as a business can count - selling on eBay, tutoring, babysitting, consulting, rental properties, etc. URs are worth 1 cent per point (cpp) if you cash them out. So the 80k would be $800. Or if you book travel through the Chase portal with the CIP, they are worth $1000 (since points are worth 1.25 cpp with CIP). They are worth 1.25 with the Chase Sapphire Preferred as well (which is a personal card). If you get the Chase Sapphire Reserve (also a personal card), they are worth 1.5. That one comes with a large annual fee of $450, but $300 is easily recouped as a travel credit (it also includes other benefits).

The thing with Chase cards is that they won't let you get any of their cards if you have had 5 personal cards within the last 24 months (what we call 5/24). This is why we often advise getting business cards. Most of these (depending on the card issuer) don't report to your personal credit report and so does not add to your 5/24. If you want to get into this churning game, you may only want to get the AmEx Hilton business card (that won't add to your 5/24). The thing to know about AmEx though, is that if you get their card, get the points, then don't spend on it anymore, you may get the pop-up when you go to apply for another card saying that you're not eligible for the bonus. Canceling cards also increases this risk.
Thank you for all this valuable information! I pop in and out over here to this thread, but haven't read all 1300 pages. I spend a lot of time on TPAS. We just got back from our trip and now I want to find ways to visit again!

Thank you for all this valuable information! I pop in and out over here to this thread, but haven't read all 1300 pages. I spend a lot of time on TPAS. We just got back from our trip and now I want to find ways to visit again!

LOL, it is a lot. And not all related to churning. The first 4 posts by our benevolent dictator has some background info and abbreviations. You may want to join the Reddit Dischurners group for more concise information. @SouthFayetteFan @Lain @Albort can set you up.

LOL, it is a lot. And not all related to churning. The first 4 posts by our benevolent dictator has some background info and abbreviations. You may want to join the Reddit Dischurners group for more concise information. @SouthFayetteFan @Lain @Albort can set you up.
Got it! Sorry I missed the first post with the list of abbreviations. I feel like such a rookie......

I don't think this settles anything, but I am happy to report my positive CitiBiz AA DP this morning.
Card 1 - opened 10/18, closed 1/19
Card 2 with shared mailer code - opened 1/19, still open
Card 3 - applied with public dummy booking on 5/7, approved next day. Card arrived 5/18. Purchased $250 AA gift card and met minimum spend by 5/20. Statement closed 5/22. I received $250 AA credit and 42,500 AA miles are reported earned, though not yet deposited into my account.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details. Did you try to buy gc's yet for the statement credit for your dh's card?

No, not yet. Since the $250 statement wouldn’t show up until the next statement close date, I’m gonna see if his 40k bonus miles show up on that statement first. Look at me being optimistic.:teeth: If they show up, I’ll buy a AA gc. If not, I’ll contact Citi and play dumb about not knowing about the 24 mo rule.

Booked a RC cruise (1st timers) for July with a POFQ stay afterwards. We are flying into MCO the day before the cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay the night before the cruise? Do you stay in Port Canaveral? Additionally, any suggestions on getting from MCO to Port Canaveral. We will do DME on the return trip. Thanks
I use Tony Hinds for all my Orlando area non DME transportation. He's great! He has a big van and you do not share with anyone else. When I used him last year to go from MCO to Port Canaveral he charged $210 roundtrip. When I use him to go from MCO to Universal he charges $100 roundtrip, and he stops at the grocery store. If your interested, his email is aobh67 at gmail.com

LOL

Hilton Hawaiian Village
  • Rollaway bed fee: $125 per night
Yeah, I'll pass. Air mattress it is. At least the girls will share a bed. We've swapped our air mattress for a much smaller Klymit camping air sleeping pad thingy (much easier to inflate and much lighter) and a good sleeping bag. Those will fit just fine in the checked luggage.

I'm so glad I booked this vacation and splurged on it. It will definitely be our last as a family of 6 since my daughter will be getting married when we get back. We have so much to do in the next few months! Moved that wedding date up so she will hopefully be on her SO's orders for first duty station.

Booked a RC cruise (1st timers) for July with a POFQ stay afterwards. We are flying into MCO the day before the cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay the night before the cruise? Do you stay in Port Canaveral? Additionally, any suggestions on getting from MCO to Port Canaveral. We will do DME on the return trip. Thanks
For our honeymoon we rented a car. We were going from BLT to Port, so we picked it up in the morning from Disney car care, it was about $75. The worst part was waiting for the shuttle to come get us at BLT. We're doing it again next month, renting from the Dolphin because it's half the price - $50 to $60. We have 5 people plus luggage but all are light packers, so I'm debating fullsize car vs SUV and that's the price range. It was very easy to drop off at the alamo by port and take their shuttle over (~5mins). Could be worth pricing out. We are staying at the Residence Inn by port the night after our cruise at the end of June, and stayed at the La Quinta Cocoa Beach on our honeymoon. LQ was nice and clean, basic, but I got an oceanfront balcony which was my goal there :)
Weight day so no reading the boards while I workout like on running days.
:worship:
How do you do that? Just curious? I was thinking on the elliptical last night, maybe if I brought the tablet and made the text big I could read... I can read easily on the bike. Makes it easier for me to workout if I can read lol

KLrJd61.jpg
:worship::worship: Amazing

How do you do that? Just curious? I was thinking on the elliptical last night, maybe if I brought the tablet and made the text big I could read... I can read easily on the bike. Makes it easier for me to workout if I can read lol

I can't read on my phone on the treadmill. I might could if I took a tablet with larger font but it'd be annoying having to scroll. I just watch HGTV beach shows :D

I use Tony Hinds for all my Orlando area non DME transportation. He's great! He has a big van and you do not share with anyone else. When I used him last year to go from MCO to Port Canaveral he charged $210 roundtrip. When I use him to go from MCO to Universal he charges $100 roundtrip, and he stops at the grocery store. If your interested, his email is aobh67 at gmail.com
I love Tony Hinds. Super nice guy!

I love Tony Hinds. Super nice guy!

Will he take you to the cruise port from a Disney resort and back if there are only 3 of you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter