I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bookmarked a bunch of ebates posts to review later.

Doing Cape May for breakfast with parents tomorrow to hit one last character breakfast before my little guy turns 3 and costs money.

Anyone have the secret time for SDD currently? We are heading tomorrow and I wanted to try the trick. Should I look on Dischurners for the secret time?

CitiBiz Recon question.

My wife applied for CitiBiz AA #3 on 7/14. Her first account had been closed many months ago, but second account was still active. She received immediate denial for too many open business accounts. We kept her second account open for free checked bags, and we have now completed our AA flights.

Is it too late to cancel card #2 and request recon on card#3? Is the phone call pretty easy? My wife does not like calling, but I think I can get her to call if she only needs to ask for her application to be resubmitted.

Thanks!
Let me know what you do. Your situation is the exact same that I'm in.

On the cc side of the house, I cancelled Cit Biz #2 today since DH received a mailer yesterday. It's been 120 days since my last application but I suspect I should wait a bit after canceling #2. Is the general consensus to wait a month or is it less?

I also upgraded my CSP to the CSR in anticipation of being under 5/24 and over 48 months post CSR bonus in Oct 2020 (which truly seems crazy). It will be interesting to see how quickly the new AF posts.

I've read about people applying right after cancelling, like same day. As long as you make sure your account is really closed - it says closed when you log in online - you should be okay to apply for the next card. Comfort level-wise, I would probably wait a few days myself, but I don't think it's necessary.

I am at 2% as well. Just looked and it does say 4% in store, was 2%. I made 2 trips to staples this week, got the email saying I used an offer. The first cashback showed up today - about 4 days later. $0.23. I am not sure VGCs are tracking. I did buy the $200 VGC and a charging cable. I think I only got the 2% on the charging cable. Would love to hear other DPs on this.
Mine also says 4% In store. Don't know when I will have a chance to go there to try it. Maybe next week, but I know the VGC sale will be over. Just read more comments, I won't take a chance and try it with a linked card. I don't want to risk shut down.

Last edited:
I flew on the 787-10 in seat 1 L. Probably my most comfortable flight in biz to date. It was an excellent product! You know it's a good flight when 10 1/2 hours later you don't want to deplane :)
Thank you for the positive review! My flight won't be that long, but I am sure it will make me sad to fly economy back and forth to MCO 2 months later HAHA

Our DD's (now 25) favorite memory of WDW at age six was eating breakfast out of her fanny pack. Pop Tart, nuts and a banana. The Pop Tart especially sticks out to her because she was NEVER allowed to eat them at home. Crazy what sticks in our minds!
Thanks for reminding me of those trips when the kids (now 26, 24, and 19) would choose their special snacks every day to pack in their fanny packs :lovestruc
The only negative with the MR account was that they wanted account access and passwords, etc. with AMEX and DH said no way. He went for the cash back instead. YMMV but DH works hard to keep our accounts secure and just thought the MR account wasn't worth the risk. I think @Lain did it and has been getting big amounts of MRs put in his account, so he can tell you more about that side of things.
Pro for the MR version:
Higher sign up bonus. It's $10 cash but 1500 MR points. I don't value MR points at less than 1 cpp because I can get Home Depot and other easily used GCs for that. If you use them as a statement credit to literally cash them out then the sign up is worth less (.6 cpp for statement credit = $9) but I think it would be a rare occurrence to use them like that. So I count it as a higher value bonus.

Likewise, depending on the redemption you can extract a higher value from them over cash. You earn the MR at 1 cpp but you could manage a 1.5 cpp redemption, say. This is probably more useful if you have a goal in mind.

The flipside:
If your using rebate portals to offset AFs then cash is easier on that. No getting hung up on valuations or double counting savings or not wanting to cash out (which can be hard to do for some).

Long term, what happens if eBates changes the MR earn rate and it becomes less than 1 cpp? They seem to have let some existing users create new MR accounts so maybe you could just open a new Cash account at that point. It's not an immediate concern but something to weigh.

I went MR because I can use all the help I can get and one day hubby has plans to try them out for something other than Home Depot GCs. eBates is not part of my AF plan, I use Swagbucks and focus groups for that so I don't need to worry about cashing out.
When I created my eBates account it did ask me to sign into AmEx to link the account, but so far as I can tell it's not storing your credentials or anything. It looked like one of the services that tokenizes the link between the accounts and you're just signing in and authorizing that link. They do need permission to access the account so they can deposit your points and I imagine there may be a mechanism to clawback, but I don't see how that can easily benefit a hacker. I didn't find anything in the terms or privacy policy that stated they were holding on to the login for any reason. So it should be a minimal security risk. I put it on par to linking bank accounts by signing in.
I think there's less risk with this type of partnership than something like the MR to Amazon. Things with a link to redeem points are a higher target. Not saying that someone couldn't figure something out to exploit this link, it's just not much of a reward to do so for all the time and effort involved. I'm also more wary of things like a 3rd party service using another 3rd party service to gain access to account info, stuff like PEI (and possibly the new version of Dosh doing the same thing) versus eBates and AmEx who made a direct relationship with each other.

There's risk with everything anytime you enter your login, even doing it on the AmEx site, so everyone has their own comfort level and none of it is wrong. Just wanted to throw my two cents in there for folks to consider in their own risk assessments.

Edit: premature posting due to a browser glitch, should make sense now.
I think it depends.

With cash back, you know what you're getting: 1% = $0.01, nothing less, nothing more.

With a MR account, 1% = 1 MR. But since MR is a transferrable currency and Amex has their own different rates depending on how and where you redeem their points, which partner you transfer to and transfer bonuses, 1 MR could be worth less or much more than $0.01.

For example, if you were to redeem MR against statement charges, they'd be worth 0.6 cpp; if you shop with points on Amazon, they're worth 0.7 cpp. I would never recommend either, except for the occasional Amazon shop with points promos where you can use the minimum 1 MR ($0.01) to get $ off your order.

If you redeem MR for flights through Amex Travel, they're worth 1 cpp (but you can get a 25% rebate on those points if you have a Biz Gold - 1.33 cpp, or a 35% rebate if you have a Biz Plat - 1.54 cpp). So if you think you’ll eventually go for those cards to build your MR stash and use them towards flights on your selected airline, or premium cabin flights on any airline, then you should treat MR > 1 cpp.

Or you could transfer MR to airline partners to get some wild redemption values in biz and first class.

Since you now have a Plat, you can pay with points for hotel reservations through Amex’s Fine Hotels & Resorts program at 1 cpp. If you have to cancel the reservation, your points get refunded to you in cash at 1 cpp. So in that scenario, 1 MR = 1 cpp.

If you think FHR and transfer partners aren’t for you, and you prefer cold hard cash, you can eventually set up a Charles Schwab account (I think there’s a $100 bonus for opening an account too), and pick up the Charles Schwab Platinum for another 60k MR bonus (barring the pop up) for the ability to transfer out your MR at 1.25 cpp. So in that scenario, MR > 1 cpp.

Personally, I switched all my Ebates activity over from cash back to MR points, because I would never value MR at less than $0.01.
Thank you, everyone!

And thanks for the DoC link about support links for ebates :)

I've read about people applying right after cancelling, like same day. As long as you make sure your account is really closed - it says closed when you log in online - you should be okay to apply for the next card. Comfort level-wise, I would probably wait a few days myself, but I don't think it's necessary.
I applied 5 minutes after canceling and was approved. This was about three weeks ago. First $50 gift card purchase was credited on first statement.

Thanks for the suggestions! Im sure we will do some traditional site seeing in Rome, but Im like a child and a get bored after a bit lol. I was a government major in college lol the stuff is interesting just not really what I think of when it comes to vacationing lol. I definitely what to see everything put maybe a lot of it would just be some quick stops for pictures and then off to go eat pizza and gelato lol Do you know any places where I could sit and eat outside with a view of some of the stuff? that would be fun lol

Off hand I'm not much of a help because I'm now going back close to 6 years so details are fuzzy, and I did nearly kill hubby so I got to see even less of what we actually did have planned. (oopsies, I've learned a bunch since then) I will dig up some notes at some point to refresh my memory though.

But nearly every major square has cafe's in it or nearby to do people and site watching. Since there's food everywhere, you could plan most site seeing from eateries using the sites as backdrops. I actually find nothing wrong with that as you're immersed in the whole experience - and sometimes I remember that more than staring at a cool piece of architecture or sculpture/painting. Otherwise a lot of it really is staring at really old rock in various forms. Cool to experience - I'm standing on the same stone that Julius Caesar stepped on. something to thing about - but after a bit you're just staring at a rock.

I do recommend getting a Rick Steve's walking tour podcast or someone/something like him, if you don't want to be tied down to a tour. It does help to have someone contextualize some sites rather than just reading the plaques. The ones I used from Rick Steve had chapters so you didn't need to listen through the whole tour, you could just pick out the parts you're interested in.

Are you on the Citi AA train? Ik they don’t have Disney hotels for 2020 but I think they have the Swan/Dolphin? And I’m sure if you could sneak in end of 2019 trips.
Nope haven’t joined the train yet. I’m waiting on my BBP and can get the CIC in September. Dh just finished the MSR on his CIP3. I’m not sure if we want to go for a AA card and if we do who should go for it

Whats the deal with these hockey teams?! It is like they don't understand travel...AT ALL. We have a tourney in December in S Florida. That is an expensive time to fly to S Florida. They won't tell us what weekend or anything. It is making me nuts. Do they not realize this is August already!?
If you’re lucky enough to get your dates in the next couple weeks (and unlucky enough to have to pay cash lol) this might be of interest to you....

From DoC: Google Flights Best Price Guarantee to be offered on “select fights” booked Aug 13 - Sept 2. Looks intriguing. Total guess on my part but when I read the blog post from Google it sounded like if their algo says it’s the best price for your flight it might be included in this 2 week guarantee.

Good news for me, I got confirmation that I earned CP status today. I added my DH as my companion and booked him on both legs of our November flight. I have also just finished all MSR on all of our cards that we have opened in that past few months. So, now we just have to wait until enough time passes to apply for more!
Our stats:
P1 Chase SW Biz 5/19
P1 Chase SW Premier 6/19
P2 CIP 6/19
P2 Citi AA Biz 6/19
P1 Citi AA Biz 6/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter