I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully DD seems to be a good driver. But I'm probably comparing her to myself at that age and I was a really bad driver. One time I drove down the driveway to get the mail and when I went to park the car I confused the gas and the brake and ran into a stone pillar (with the guy who was filling our heating oil tank watching). Anyway that was my ex's argument--that Subarus are very safe:)
Honda’s and Subaru’s are both very safe, coming from someone whose first car was a Honda Civic and current car is a Subaru. Your daughter would have been horrified with MY Civic. Manual transmission and manual choke. It looked something like this, only white5F7CB619-CF54-4AE8-89DA-9E2C99CB1838.jpeg

My DH still has an AOL address, complete with the number 16 in it because that's how old he was when he created it! I make fun of him all the time. He has a Gmail he got when we got our first Android phones, but he doesn't really use it. I have my Gmail in my maiden name as I acquired it during beta testing and refuse to give it up! Sorry to the college kid in the UK with my name. Learn your address or you'll be losing out on jobs soon!

@mom2elal - I want to thank you again for the tip on those discounted Hamilton tickets!

We saw last night's show, and it was brilliant! My wife loved the show and thought it was so clever and funny. I thought the lyrics and dialogue were sharp and cutting, timely in that many of the political conflicts from the founding of our country are still with us today, people continue to be flawed creatures with jealousies, agendas, pride and weaknesses, the music sticks with you even as the performers sing and rap so fast you try to grasp at every other word, and the performances were full of passion and energy. Loved loved LOVED King George III! Also the duo of Jefferson and Madison! Man, I hated the Jefferson character, but Simon Longnight played him like the flamboyant Ruby Rhod from The Fifth Element, and his beanpole figure next to Brandon Louis Armstrong's much rounder Madison made for a hilarious pair whenever they shared the stage!

It's been years since my wife and I caught a Broadway show. Last night reminded us how much we love and missed live musical theater. There's an energy to a live performance, with all the costuming, music, lighting and physical moving sets, and of course the actors, that can't be replicated on screen. This was my daughter's first show! My girl was wide-eyed and at the edge of her booster seat for the whole first half of the show, but the poor thing couldn't quite make it through the second half. Probably a good thing, since I won't have to explain the whole Reynolds affair, or that the star of the show
DIES

THANKS AGAIN!

Isn't it fabulous?? Yds and I went a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Last edited:
Some people even still pay for it. Don't get me started! At one point in the last five years I found out both of my parents were paying for it (they are still married and have broadband internet). Thankfully now only my dad pays for it.
My mom still pays. After my dad died I looked through her bills and was like “why?” She refuses to cancel it or use another email, even though it was my dad’s. When she got Comcast, it automatically gives you an email address as a Comcast login. She freaked out saying she needed her (dad’s) original email. I tried to explain but finally gave up. She refuses to actually listen and just wants to leave everything the same.
Yep, its still around. Or at least the email platform is, you don't have to log into their system anymore! :rotfl2:

We had to change my FIL's account so that he was no longer paying a few years ago. Who know how many people are still paying for it?
You can keep the address but no internet security then, right?

My mom still pays. After my dad died I looked through her bills and was like “why?” She refuses to cancel it or use another email, even though it was my dad’s. When she got Comcast, it automatically gives you an email address as a Comcast login. She freaked out saying she needed her (dad’s) original email. I tried to explain but finally gave up. She refuses to actually listen and just wants to leave everything the same.

You can keep the address but no internet security then, right?

You keep the email and log into the website like you do for gmail. They don't support their aol software any more to my knowledge unless you have dial up which are the only people that should still be paying for it. There's no reason to pay to get your email.

I can understand not wanting to move to a comcast email, we never did and if we could ever get a different internet provider we would but no one else is available. But if you switch you lose your email. Though I realize that's not her reasoning.

You keep the email and log into the website like you do for gmail. They don't support their aol software any more to my knowledge unless you have dial up which are the only people that should still be paying for it. There's no reason to pay to get your email.

I can understand not wanting to move to a comcast email, we never did and if we could ever get a different internet provider we would but no one else is available. But if you switch you lose your email. Though I realize that's not her reasoning.
My mom pays for aol for their “Internet security” which they purport is part of the service. Can’t convince her she doesn’t need it. Comcast gives you an email address whether you use it or not, it’s your login but yes you lose it if you cancel Comcast (I did when I moved and switched to gmail, though use my new Comcast as my throwaway emails and they auto forward to my Gmail. )

@mmmears You aren’t alone in not buying your kiddo a car. Dh and I both had to buy our first cars. Our kids will as well. We have a shared kid car (that is a civic) and the driving kids can share it but it’s not theirs. Both my teens have worked and saved and have enough in savings to buy their own car when they want.

This is likely how we will do teenage cars. We actually have a shared flip phone for my kids to use. They really don't need cell phones yet but I like having one to hand to whoever is going to be somewhere else.
I tried Amazon returns at Kohl’s and it was a fiasco. Maybe it will get better.
Sorry you had a bad experience. I've taken Amazon things to my Kohl's twice for returns and it was so easy and fast. Maybe your Kohl's will figure it out soon.

Back home from my trip. Skimmed most of the postings but will admit I didn't read everything thoroughly so some of this may be outdated.

Hurricane - good luck to all in the hurricane's actual and/or projected path and to all planning, changing plans in Florida. We did a Universal trip in 2017 just 3 days after Irma roared through. Luckily we didn't have to change are plans but it was touch and go for a while waiting to know if the airport would open again. Nothing compared to folks with actual damage to their homes.

Cars - our kids used hand me downs. At college graduation, they got the car to keep and then could use for their own trade in when they got a newer car. No choice in what the hand me down was. My money, my rules!

Musings on Colorado. Another great trip. Weather was perfect. Top of my list was the hot springs resort. I really liked soaking in the mineral hot springs. I did a few scenic drives and basically took it slow. Scenic drives included Loveland Pass and Independence Pass. Loveland Pass was definitely easier driving Independence. At first I thought it was just the lack of shoulder and guardrails that was the tough part of Independence but then I got to the sections where it was down to one lane! I do think it was worth it for the view at the top. Loved it. I did realize that I probably won't be back to Breckenridge to stay. I might do a day trip but this was the first time I stayed/slept at this elevation. All my other trips were at 7K or under and no altitude issues. I had headaches (except when I was in Glenwood Springs) and difficultly sleeping everyday. I'll just to be sure to stay at the lower elevations in the future.

Trip planning - I am the main (well only) trip planner. I love planning trips but lately I have gotten a little tired of doing everything. I have started making the kids research and pick the food options. I would like them to do a little bit of the planning so I can enjoy the trip more and not feel like I have to have everything planned out and feel like everyone's enjoyment is resting on my trip planning skills. I'm just putting a lot of pressure on myself and need to let it go.

August recap
First foray into MSing - 12K UR on the CIC. Liquidated on Serve
Finished DH's MSR on the Delta Biz with the Safeway gift card deals 70K miles
Finished my Venture MSR 60K points
Redemptions -
car rental in CO (19K UR, $289 savings)
nights at Residence Inn (24K UR, 1 free night cert, $615 savings after AF on Marriott biz card)

September plans
Liquidate the gift cards from Safeway offers
CIP #3 for DH
Continue MSing on my CIC

Lastly, this thread is amazing and it is due to all the different opinions and strategies. I am able to pick and choose what strategy will help me achieve my goals. The motto is "you do you". No one judges or thinks there is just one way to do CCs, travel or life. Everyone has different goals and that is great. In the last 18 months, I have been able to save over $5,000 on my type of travel (domestic, SW flights, 3* m/hotels). It is not for everyone but it fits me and my family. Big huge thank you to everyone who has helped me!!!

My DH still has an AOL address, complete with the number 16 in it because that's how old he was when he created it! I make fun of him all the time. He has a Gmail he got when we got our first Android phones, but he doesn't really use it. I have my Gmail in my maiden name as I acquired it during beta testing and refuse to give it up! Sorry to the college kid in the UK with my name. Learn your address or you'll be losing out on jobs soon!

I've had gmail since it was testing, too, and I also have someone who has thought this was his address for years. I just trash the emails now, because I'm tired of telling his family members that it's not his address. :rolleyes1 Never had AOL - we had an ISDN line way back when that was a thing - DH needed it for work.

Can't believe we're a few hours from rolling over into a new month. It doesn't feel like Labor Day weekend to me at all.

I'm hoping there will be some better credit card offers for September. I have to get serious about stockpiling more miles now.

Going to Cheesecake Factory for brunch tomorrow to capitalize on my $10 credit from my Rose Gold. #pancakes

OT but DD turns 16 in < 2 weeks. I'm getting her a used car. I like Hondas (my last four vehicles have been Hondas--an Accord, a Pilot, and two Odysseys). So I gave her the following criteria: <50,000 miles, <$14,000, 2016 or newer, rated as a good or great deal, no accidents. Everything was going fine then this week her dad started telling me we should get her a Subaru (I'm paying). Now dd is asking for a Ford Escape, Honda Fit, Honda CRV, Ford Focus, etc. Can someone please tell me what the heck is wrong with a Honda Civic?:mad:

Just an FYI. I wouldn't recommend a Ford Focus. We got a fleet of them at work and they had so many problems, no one wanted to drive them. Biggest issue was the cars hesitated and stalled for no reason.

I tried Amazon returns at Kohl’s and it was a fiasco. Maybe it will get better.
UPS is so much easier than kohl’s for me
This is likely how we will do teenage cars. We actually have a shared flip phone for my kids to use. They really don't need cell phones yet but I like having one to hand to whoever is going to be somewhere else.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've taken Amazon things to my Kohl's twice for returns and it was so easy and fast. Maybe your Kohl's will figure it out soon.
We did the shared flip phone as well 😂 Now my teens each have their own smartphone but they pay for it all.

I’ve tried our kohl’s twice now for amazon returns and it’s just a disaster. The line is way back and each transaction seems to take forever. I used to shop online from kohl’s because returning was so easy. Now I dread kohl’s returns cause I have to get in the line with all the amazon people. I sure hope they figure it out soon!!

@wendow AP upgrade question. If I get WDW tickets through Delta and go to upgrade is it best to buy the 10 day tix as that would be the least amount due at upgrading (even though we likely wouldn’t need all 10 days the first trip)? If the tickets are flex do I get that added value to the bridge or do I eat that extra cost (it’s like $500 more but the only option with delta vacations)?

UPS is so much easier than kohl’s for me

We did the shared flip phone as well 😂 Now my teens each have their own smartphone but they pay for it all.

I’ve tried our kohl’s twice now for amazon returns and it’s just a disaster. The line is way back and each transaction seems to take forever. I used to shop online from kohl’s because returning was so easy. Now I dread kohl’s returns cause I have to get in the line with all the amazon people. I sure hope they figure it out soon!!
Our Kohl's has a separate kiosk just for Amazon returns.

@wendow AP upgrade question. If I get WDW tickets through Delta and go to upgrade is it best to buy the 10 day tix as that would be the least amount due at upgrading (even though we likely wouldn’t need all 10 days the first trip)? If the tickets are flex do I get that added value to the bridge or do I eat that extra cost (it’s like $500 more but the only option with delta vacations)?
Yes, correct. Hoppers would be good too.

Yes because back in the day people used aol to connect to the internet by dialing in. Once broadband arrived, only fools like my parents continued paying for it:) (and they're really not dumb)

Boy, those AOL CDs were everywhere.

And it's not just your imagination either. When AOL ramped up their marketing blitz in the 90s, they went for it. For a few weeks, they used the entire world's CD capacity to create CDs. And it's estimated around 50% of the CDs in existence at the time were AOL CDs.

Those things were in cereal boxes!

Bananas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter