I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the referral bonus is 20k on the CIP....those were the first 2 cards we opened after I found this amazing group of people last May...

Will you be traveling within 3 months...to use the CSR benefits....
if yes I would apply for it before the CIP....if no...I would apply for the CIP first...it’s usually recommend 2-3 months between Chase Applications

Yes, We are heading to TN for spring break, but most of our travel expenses are already paid. I mean, we will have gas and dining expenses, but that’s about it. Of course, I coukd always switch out our hotel stay with the new card.

I’m not sure if you guys remember but I ordered that Harry Potter backpack through the chase portal. Well we realized today we never got an email about the order. So today we looked back through our transactions and were never charged for it. We decided it was no big deal and went through the portal again today to reorder it. I see the charge pending but I still have not received an email from pottery barn kids. Are we doing something wrong?

I really hope we don’t have two backpacks showing up but I have no idea since there’s no history showing we ordered the first one. I’m confused why I didn’t get an email about the backpack this time either
I had to help a girl out and just ordered one. I did receive an email confirmation about 5 min after I completed the order. It is on backorder until 3/30.

Yes, We are heading to TN for spring break, but most of our travel expenses are already paid. I mean, we will have gas and dining expenses, but that’s about it. Of course, I coukd always switch out our hotel stay with the new card.

Since your driving, the trip delay insurance probably isn’t needed or PP lounge access....I’d apply for the card with the highest sign up bonus ...CIP...then you have the options for the next card you go after...either the CSR for you or referring DH to the CIP

Perhaps it feels like circles because you haven't mentioned a goal. I find it easier to narrow down options when my goal isn't "All the cards!!!" like my greedy miser brain wants.
It's totally ok for the goal to be "Lots of UR points" but it'll probably illicit a different path than "Lots of UR points to transfer to airline A" or "Lots of UR points to redeem for a cruise this year" or "Lots of UR points to book a B&B in East Jabip".

Just lots of UR with no defined plan I'd pick anything with at least a 50k bonus to keep you busy until you have a goal. Duplicate cards in a household are ok because you're just doing it for the sign up bonus, it doesn't have to make sense to actually use it later. (Chase, for now, is not like AmEx like that) So the CIU for you isn't a bad choice for this - don't have to worry about an AF, has a smaller MSR that should be easier to complete. Then you can put the airfare charge on the existing CSP to get the 2x points and the trip protections.
OR
The CIP also has trip insurance benefits similar to the CSP. Could go for the CIP, use the airfare charge to help meet the higher MSR of 5k, and earn 3x UR for it on top. Yes it has the $95 AF but you can either look at it as a 70,500 UR bonus (after cashing out some to pay the AF) or paying $95 for trip insurance. If the goal is lots of UR, 70k is better than 50k, if you can make the spend in 115 days. Those extra days Chase gives to meet the MSR can squeeze in another payment for something potentially.

If the goal was to use the UR to transfer, then I'd stick with CSP or CIP. Both have the same lower fee with the ability to transfer to travel partners. Having a CSR does nothing for you really in that situation. Actually, likewise in the B&B scenario as I made that out in my head to be a lower cost redemption through the portal, in which case you may not recoup the extra AF of the CSR in UR redemption savings.
If you referred the your CSP from DH's, he'd get 10k UR, you'd get 50k UR bonus with the waived AF; the same number of UR as the current public offer of 60k but avoiding the AF. (and I believe it's been mentioned you could roll the dice and see if they'd give you an extra 10k to "match" the public one) Still not as much guaranteed as the CIP but also a 1k smaller MSR.

If you had a large redemption planned for this year through the portal, like a cruise or vacation package, then I'd go with the CSR. If you don't, I'd stick with other card options if DH's card could be upgraded to the CSR instead (has to be after 1st anniversary and have at least a 10k credit limit available to do that) if something came up that would make it worthwhile. You'd probably get a better value out of the CSP with the referral options and waived AF.

Hope that helped rather than gave you another circle to follow :laughing:

We are going to Universal next February. We have 180,000 points currently saved towards the trip. On our recent Disney/Universal trip in January, we experienced a 3 day trip delay in which we have a pending claim with DH’s CSP card. I never thought I would use the perks with any of our cards until going through that stressful experience. So, I was considering the CSR as I know it offers even better trip delay coverage, especially since we are again traveling in the winter. I am, of course tempted with the CIP due to the large sign up bonus, and rates of return, but not sure it is that great of a card after the MSR is met, other than the cell phone protection. So, that leaves CSP, which would give a large sign up bonus. I was more caught up in the “getting the CIP first while my credit score is high and the 5/24 rule” than necessarily meeting the goal, which is to earn enough points to cover hotel stay at Universal and hopefully airfare. I should mention we will most likely fly with United since they offered us each a $150 travel voucher to use on our next flight due to the 3 day trip delay. Do UR transfer to United? Hmmm, maybe I should be looking into a United card? Could I pay for some of the airfare with the CSR and some with a United card?

I have not figured out how to delete a message yet!

I really don't think there is a 'delete' function. You can just edit and remove the text.

Both my kids are held to sleep for hours at a time, and as soon as they get put in the crib, they wake up. I don't have any good tips because I literally held my DD all night sitting slightly angled on the bed. I did think about buying this just before DS grew out of it: https://www.happiestbaby.com/pages/snoo
ETA: 18 months is too old for the snoo. Wow I feel for the parents. My kids were only held all night for the first few months.

It gets better. We have the 3 year old and 2 year old and whatever my daughter did, nothing seemed to work for her. They go to sleep now, but the first 2 years were hell.

And going back to when my daughter was younger, we had to put her in the car and drive around the block. She would go to sleep and then we got her back into her crib. We moved long distance when she was 8 months old and after that had no problems - I guess she got sick of the car after 2K miles.

Now, I have an older friend who babysits one child during the day. At nap time, the child goes in the carseat and goes for a ride around the neighborhood - only way she can get her to sleep.

Question for anyone in the know....

Earlier today I booked a prepaid room at a Doubletree property on the Hilton website using my Hilton Aspire (which I never do as a rule, but the rate was too good to pass up). A few hours later I received an e-mail from the property saying that I have to pay them directly; they sent me a link (for Commercia Global Payments) which does not look like it's a Hilton link. While ordinarily I wouldn't have an issue using such a link, I need to ensure that I receive my 14x points on the Hilton property using my Aspire. Does anyone know if I use the link if it will code properly? The non-prepaid rate is $75.00 / night more expensive so I'd really like to stick to the prepaid rate if at all possible (but not at the risk of losing the 14x points on the Aspire and $45.00 cash back offer on the Aspire).

I wouldn’t chance using the link. If the hotel wants you to pay them directly, I’d suggest calling the hotel, referencing your reservation number, and ask about making a payment over the phone.

I'm with @Lain on this one.

But, I wouldn't call the hotel right away. I would call Hilton reservations and discuss the matter with them. If the rate was on the Hilton website, it should be honored with you getting all the benefits of points from the hotel plus from your card.

I am guessing that if you use the link you won't get points from the hotel.

It could also be a situation where the hotel is in the process of leaving the Hilton network and your reservation is on the other side of their contract ending and they are trying to pull in all their reservations. In any event, Hilton itself was your booking agent so I would stick with that.

I’m not sure if you guys remember but I ordered that Harry Potter backpack through the chase portal. Well we realized today we never got an email about the order. So today we looked back through our transactions and were never charged for it. We decided it was no big deal and went through the portal again today to reorder it. I see the charge pending but I still have not received an email from pottery barn kids. Are we doing something wrong?

I really hope we don’t have two backpacks showing up but I have no idea since there’s no history showing we ordered the first one. I’m confused why I didn’t get an email about the backpack this time either

I'm confused as to why your backpack hasn't arrived already? Seems to me that was quite a while back?

How long do your deliveries take? Mine are usually here with the cheapest shipping option in a week or less.

We are going to Universal next February. We have 180,000 points currently saved towards the trip. On our recent Disney/Universal trip in January, we experienced a 3 day trip delay in which we have a pending claim with DH’s CSP card. I never thought I would use the perks with any of our cards until going through that stressful experience. So, I was considering the CSR as I know it offers even better trip delay coverage, especially since we are again traveling in the winter. I am, of course tempted with the CIP due to the large sign up bonus, and rates of return, but not sure it is that great of a card after the MSR is met, other than the cell phone protection. So, that leaves CSP, which would give a large sign up bonus. I was more caught up in the “getting the CIP first while my credit score is high and the 5/24 rule” than necessarily meeting the goal, which is to earn enough points to cover hotel stay at Universal and hopefully airfare. I should mention we will most likely fly with United since they offered us each a $150 travel voucher to use on our next flight due to the 3 day trip delay. Do UR transfer to United? Hmmm, maybe I should be looking into a United card? Could I pay for some of the airfare with the CSR and some with a United card?

....you can book Universal Hotels and buy Universal tickets on the Chase travel portal...we fly SW so I don’t know about URs and United

Last edited:
I have been ignoring most Chase info since I’m out of the Chase loop for a bit. What is going on with the CSR and cruises? I can’t use URs for a cruise or just Disney cruises?

False alarm. Baby is asleep! Post on the DIS and ye shall receive!

Still taking recommendations for a magic baby-rocker that will make my life as babysitter to a fuss-budget easier :)

Edited to add: not four minutes after writing this updated post, the baby wakes up again. I jinxed myself.

Send help!

I feel your pain, but boy I really feel for the parents. They've set up a habit that will be tough to break I think. My DS is 21 now, but when he was a baby, he simply would not sleep unless he was tucked all snug into his car seat. We would literally put his car seat (with him in it) in his crib at night. Looking back, that seems ridiculous, but at the time we were desperate for him to sleep. I recall his pediatrician telling me that I really need to stop - cause eventually he'll be an adult who can only sleep in a recliner - lol. Babies are hard!

Yes, UR transfer to United. I'm not familiar with them, though, so I don't know if you'd be able to use the travel voucher in conjunction with a points booking. I think @Lain might have a write up on the pros and cons of the United cards versus UR cards. I know the United cards get access to more award space but if you're buying cash fares that probably won't make much of a difference.

Regarding the CSR vs CSP trip protections, both cards offer the same benefits for trip interruption/cancellation/delay but the CSR's delay protection kicks in at 6 hours versus 12 hours on the CSP. But the CSR also adds travel medical protections. The CSR provides emergency evacuation and medical/dental benefits whereas the CSP does not. Not being an expert in this and not knowing your situation, but on the surface it seems like both cards would have given equal payout for your unfortunate delay; the CSR would have just done it on a shorter delay than the CSP.

That said, I'm keeping my CSR this year because I'm looking at it as paying $150 for trip insurance for our Alaska trip later this year. While the emergency medical is not the highest protections you can get it seems adequate for this particular trip and my projected risk for it. If you can justify the AF for it I don't think it's a bad card at all, I'd just want to make sure you'll see value in it. If the piece of mind the extras bring is worth $150, then go for it. I guess the question is, would you pay $150 for trip insurance to an outside agency for the same coverage? If so and if you can book your Universal stay through the Chase portal then the CSR probably has a leg up with the better redemption value. You can transfer all your 180k UR to the CSR to get the better redemption rate.

I think your timing for the cards is going to depend on when you expect to pay for this trip. Are you booking soon? Then you'd probably want to pick the card you ultimately want to cover the trip. If you're holding off then you could probably get a filler card to beef up the UR stash and then grab the "real" one to charge the trip to.

See this is where goals gets you :) I've done a 180 from "just grab the CIU" to "maybe it is time for the CSR".

I have been ignoring most Chase info since I’m out of the Chase loop for a bit. What is going on with the CSR and cruises? I can’t use URs for a cruise or just Disney cruises?

There's a rumor out that the Chase travel reps aren't allowed to book new cruises, from any cruise line, past 2019. (I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (from @SouthFayetteFan destroyer-of-worlds))

So if you are planning to use UR on a new booking for 2019 you should be good. After that, maybe not - at least right now. I suspect this has to do with the switch to Expedia so eventually they'd probably handle the cruise and package aspect too and this would facilitate an easy hand off from Connexions (the agency that does it now). But nothing is certain at this point. You could call to get pricing and see what they say?

Yes, UR transfer to United. I'm not familiar with them, though, so I don't know if you'd be able to use the travel voucher in conjunction with a points booking. I think @Lain might have a write up on the pros and cons of the United cards versus UR cards. I know the United cards get access to more award space but if you're buying cash fares that probably won't make much of a difference.

Regarding the CSR vs CSP trip protections, both cards offer the same benefits for trip interruption/cancellation/delay but the CSR's delay protection kicks in at 6 hours versus 12 hours on the CSP. But the CSR also adds travel medical protections. The CSR provides emergency evacuation and medical/dental benefits whereas the CSP does not. Not being an expert in this and not knowing your situation, but on the surface it seems like both cards would have given equal payout for your unfortunate delay; the CSR would have just done it on a shorter delay than the CSP.

That said, I'm keeping my CSR this year because I'm looking at it as paying $150 for trip insurance for our Alaska trip later this year. While the emergency medical is not the highest protections you can get it seems adequate for this particular trip and my projected risk for it. If you can justify the AF for it I don't think it's a bad card at all, I'd just want to make sure you'll see value in it. If the piece of mind the extras bring is worth $150, then go for it. I guess the question is, would you pay $150 for trip insurance to an outside agency for the same coverage? If so and if you can book your Universal stay through the Chase portal then the CSR probably has a leg up with the better redemption value. You can transfer all your 180k UR to the CSR to get the better redemption rate.

I think your timing for the cards is going to depend on when you expect to pay for this trip. Are you booking soon? Then you'd probably want to pick the card you ultimately want to cover the trip. If you're holding off then you could probably get a filler card to beef up the UR stash and then grab the "real" one to charge the trip to.

See this is where goals gets you :) I've done a 180 from "just grab the CIU" to "maybe it is time for the CSR".

For a February trip, I’m guessing we will want to book airfare by June, so the card I pick now would be the one to use, or we could always use DH’s CSP. As you pointed out, the delay we experienced would have been covered and I’m not sure we would even need a claim for a 6 hour delay. It’s the 10 or 11 hour delay that worries me, but what are the odds it will be in between the two? I can rationalize the fee for this year, because the $300 credit could always go to baggage for the flight, assuming we book economy with United, but I’m not sure I can rationalize the fee for subsequent years, and I’m definitely not sure I can recoup the $150 fee. That said, trip insurance does add value. We live in NY state and not many insurance companies offer good travel insurance to NY residents—not sure why though? I do see the $150 fee making sense for that if I knew we were going to take another ‘big’ trip the following year, but I coukd always downgrade it to a CSP right? In your opinion, is the benefit of transferring the points to a higher point value worth it for the CSR, in addition to the other reasons I mentioned?

There's a rumor out that the Chase travel reps aren't allowed to book new cruises, from any cruise line, past 2019. (I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (from @SouthFayetteFan destroyer-of-worlds))

So if you are planning to use UR on a new booking for 2019 you should be good. After that, maybe not - at least right now. I suspect this has to do with the switch to Expedia so eventually they'd probably handle the cruise and package aspect too and this would facilitate an easy hand off from Connexions (the agency that does it now). But nothing is certain at this point. You could call to get pricing and see what they say?
If I have an option, I think I’d stick with benevolent dictator over destroyer of worlds LOL!

For a February trip, I’m guessing we will want to book airfare by June, so the card I pick now would be the one to use, or we could always use DH’s CSP. As you pointed out, the delay we experienced would have been covered and I’m not sure we would even need a claim for a 6 hour delay. It’s the 10 or 11 hour delay that worries me, but what are the odds it will be in between the two? I can rationalize the fee for this year, because the $300 credit could always go to baggage for the flight, assuming we book economy with United, but I’m not sure I can rationalize the fee for subsequent years, and I’m definitely not sure I can recoup the $150 fee. That said, trip insurance does add value. We live in NY state and not many insurance companies offer good travel insurance to NY residents—not sure why though? I do see the $150 fee making sense for that if I knew we were going to take another ‘big’ trip the following year, but I coukd always downgrade it to a CSP right? In your opinion, is the benefit of transferring the points to a higher point value worth it for the CSR, in addition to the other reasons I mentioned?

I picked random dates in Feb 2020 and came up with Royal Pacific for 224.25 per night (2 queens), for 5 nights, as the best value for the Premier hotels to use for a comparison. This is the same nightly rate as the Universal site shows but for some reason Chase is actually a little lower as they don't have as many taxes showing. Hopefully some other Universal goers can chime in on how that works, if they got hit with any other fees from the hotel.

But anyway, I could pay $1240.40 for the trip, or 82,694 UR from the CSR. From my CSP it would be 99,232. The savings would be 16,538 using my CSR, or the equivalent of $165.38. You'd come out ahead of the AF by $15.38, if I did all my math correctly. Depending on where you're actually staying it could be higher or lower but most likely you'd get at least equivalent value out of it, if not more.

Also, as @WVMomof3 pointed out, you can use the $300 credit from the next year before downgrading to the CSP (or CF/CFU depending on where your plan is then). That would definitely cover the AF on the CSR for this trip. The travel credit works on most things travel related, including parking and tolls, so if you have any regular spend in those areas it's pretty easy to use up. We used ours on our daily commute tolls that were already in the budget.
"Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages."​
Perhaps you could prepay some of those expenses when the credit resets before downgrading.

Other issue I've run into with the Chase Travel portal is that I can usually find things cheaper on my own than through them, usually by enough to offset the 25% bonus in booking. I did not recall that the Reserve also had Priority Pass, the trip delay kicks in at 6 hours instead of 12, additional medical care benefits while traveling or that there is a $75 annual fee for an AU. If I qualified for one, I would probably go with the Reserve, but it would be close.

I have been able to get good redemptions...to me anyway, booking with my CSR. We book 2 br villas when visiting our son in Orlando,so he can stay with us and I book refundable rates since both of our Moms are 91

So far used approximately 85,000 URs 12/19-12/24 for a 2 br at Wyndham Bonnet Creek..I think with cash it would of cost about $1,300

3/9-3/14 for a 2br at Marriott Royal Palms ...103,110 URs ....cash would cost $1,545

Currently have booked
5/25-6/2 2br Wyndham Bonnet Creek 133,200 URs ...cash would cost $1,998

9/18-9/22. 2 br Marriott Lakeshore Reserve 82,488 URs....Cash would cost.$1,237.32
Debating keeping this booked with URs or using 180,000Marriott points

We could never pay cash for these stays...so I am always trying to accumulate more URS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter