• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait the values have shorter showers? We have never stayed value, but I’d assume there was a standard there. How tall is he?

I think you mentioned using URs for flights before. If you don’t use them for flights, Chase has a number of Alaska excursions in the portal you can book with URs. We booked a floatplane tour and Mendenhall glacier/whale watching thru the Chase portal. Haven’t gone yet, we cruise end of May, but I’ll report back.

Good to know. I will have to look at those. Can’t wait to hear about your trip.

Getting ready to book a flight on SW for 5 but don’t have my CP just yet (expect it in a week or so!). Do I need to book my companion’s ticket separately from the rest of us so I can cancel and rebook later?
That will make it easier to cancel and rebook that reservation without having to call in.
In general, I make all of our SW reservations separately, and one way. This makes it easier to change if/when the prices go down.

Getting ready to book a flight on SW for 5 but don’t have my CP just yet (expect it in a week or so!). Do I need to book my companion’s ticket separately from the rest of us so I can cancel and rebook later?

Quoting myself to say that I did book my daughter separately. So I have 3 separate reservations...DS1 and gf, paid for with SW gc’s bought with the Amex credit (plus a little more on the SW personal card to make sure I really did hit MS); DS2 and me, using RR pts; then DD, using RR points plus an additional 1k transferred from UR’s. I didn’t quite have enough for DD’s ticket. Even though she’ll be my free companion soon, I was really happy I remembered I could transfer points from my CSR to RR’s.

That will make it easier to cancel and rebook that reservation without having to call in.
In general, I make all of our SW reservations separately, and one way. This makes it easier to change if/when the prices go down.

Wow, that would take a lot of time for 5 people! But it makes sense. I know I’ve read that before, but when it comes to actually sitting down and making the reservations it seems like everything I’ve read and learned just doesn’t come to mind. I’ll have to remember that for next time.

I never thought about this. My ds is getting a CP in a couple months. I will then want to have him put DD as his companion for our Orlando trip. I have her booked with both of us. If I call them when it’s time to make the change, would they be able to cancel just her over the phone? Points are higher right now so I can’t rebook us all.

New Amex Offer for Adobe.com

$10 back when you spend $10+, 3x. Expires 5/31/19

I had this on my Rose Gold. Just in time for this month's Creative Cloud charge. I wish there was a way to pre-pay, but at least I'll get 2x out of it.

I almost posted that this morning when I saw it but since they had such a short expiration date on it for a 3x offer I assumed I just missed it before and it was old news :laughing:
Now I know I'll go with my gut. I briefly thought about using it for some stock photos or something.

So this trip I’m planning now is to make up for the day in December when my 2 sons and DS1’s gf got rained out of a day at Universal. We’re going for 3 nights in August, when it will rain every day. But at least it won’t be a cold rain like in December! Just please no hurricanes!

My plans are:
Rent dvc points for hotel stay, using Swagbucks PayPal money (also helping out the MSR on the United biz still in progress)
SW RR, gift cards, and companion pass for the flight down and back
URs for rental car (avoiding parking fee by staying dvc)
Discounted Disney gc’s for food and possible after hours/water park tickets - not planning on full park days in the August heat. I’m pretty sure I’d melt. I’ll let the teenagers melt at Universal on their full day there.

This will be the week before DS2 heads for college in Nashville. He signed his letter of intent this week. It also happens to be the same week as the big Dreams Unlimited anniversary shindig. Let me know if you see any holes in my plan!

I posted a little while back talking about how I’ve actually been out of the game for awhile. I just haven’t had the energy to manage apps and spends and points so have just been relying on my go to cards.

However, I’m in the process of buying my first house! I’m thrilled and terrified lol. That said I will be doing some renovations immediately. Are there any cards particularly good for this kind of spend? I know the Home improvement stores will offer 0% financing on their cards.

Anybody done this to maximize rewards? Not sure if I should just pick 4-5 cards and go for the best sign-up bonuses to pad my rewards accounts or if there’s a better way to maximize spending from Home Depot/Lowe’s etc.

TIA!!

I think I would pick up a few cards to hit some MSRs but also if you have the Freedom it is Home Improvement stores this Quarter. I wouldn't be hitting the cards until after you close on the house though.

No personalexperience, but 2 things come to mind. I believe @calypso726 leveraged some deal when doing home repairs/renovations. And I know @Jen and Ashwin got a CIC (or 2?) for the 12mths 0% offer (I think that may be gone now) and then bought home improvement store gift cards at office stores to earn 5x URs

I had a use for getting a travel together ticket with BA. So, I opened the card for 100k Avios and spent $30k on a kitchen/bathroom remodel. This was from an insurance claim due to a leak. The $30k spend in one year got me travel together ticket.

I did Keys to the Kingdom and yes seeing the utilidors was awesome. On the Undiscovered Epcot tour it didn’t have the novelty of going underground. It was literally just out this door and here is a bus stop with CM’s smoking, waiting for their bus, a little miserable. We did see the costume department which was neat. I guess my problem was more of I work in a place where there are signs that “your person can be searched at any time” signs are up. I don’t like to see WDW the same way. It also felt like we were invading their personal space.

My cousin moved to FL and has worked for Disney for almost 20 years. It has been a good career for her but the magic is most definitely gone.

I still would love for my girls to do the college program if they could, but I have absolutely no desire myself to ever work there at all!
Its hard to imagine what goes on back stage. While we love WDW as guests, it is someones job which is hard for me to grasp. I get pixie dust in my eyes and think how amazing everything must always be all the time for everyone there. Stuff like this brings me back down to Earth.

Nice to hear honest feedback about the tour. It seems like Keys to the Kingdom would be more exciting to try first. I have a tiny problem and just booked an additional WDW trip this summer and plan on trying the Wild Africa Trek. There are so many exciting things to do! (That darn pixie dust again lol) pixiedust:

I'm managing 6 people and 4 flights. It's a pain and requires spreadsheet, but makes it much, much easier if someone needs to change/cancel their flight or price drops. I'd rather rebook some of us at a lower price than not be able to rebook at all. Sometimes there may only be 1-2 tickets left at a lower price, you won't get those if you more than that many on a reservation.

If anyone else did the nationwide BBVA $200 checking/$50 savings late last year, check your accounts. The $50 savings bonus finally posted for me yesterday. Only requirement was to deposit and maintain a $100 balance from opening, although that was 6 months ago so it's been a wait.

Its hard to imagine what goes on back stage. While we love WDW as guests, it is someones job which is hard for me to grasp. I get pixie dust in my eyes and think how amazing everything must always be all the time for everyone there. Stuff like this brings me back down to Earth.

Nice to hear honest feedback about the tour. It seems like Keys to the Kingdom would be more exciting to try first. I have a tiny problem and just booked an additional WDW trip this summer and plan on trying the Wild Africa Trek. There are so many exciting things to do! (That darn pixie dust again lol) pixiedust:

We’re planning to try the Wild Africa Trek this year too! DD just turned 8 and is super excited she’s old enough to go. We have APs that expire in September so we’re squeezing in one last trip mid August before school starts. I haven’t booked yet but called and it’s about $200/person. We get a discount with our APs but it doesn’t apply to the tours in the early morning. Those were our preference since it’s August in Florida and hot! We’re leaning towards the 11:30 tour which is the first slot with an AP discount. Brings the cost down closer to $150/person. I just need to finalize the date we want to sign up and of course make sure I have enough via discounted Disney GCs to pay :)

Someone (@bernina?) mentioned a RCCL cruise out of Barcelona and that got the wheels turning in my head...

Let me know if you have any question about RCCL or Mediterranean cruises. We’ve never done RCCL out of Europe but have done a very similar itinerary on Disney. I’m intrigued by the flights and hotel in Europe with miles.

Last edited:
I never thought about this. My ds is getting a CP in a couple months. I will then want to have him put DD as his companion for our Orlando trip. I have her booked with both of us. If I call them when it’s time to make the change, would they be able to cancel just her over the phone? Points are higher right now so I can’t rebook us all.
Yes, you'll be able to call in and take care of it!

I think I would pick up a few cards to hit some MSRs but also if you have the Freedom it is Home Improvement stores this Quarter. I wouldn't be hitting the cards until after you close on the house though.

I did make nite that the freedom was 5x this quarter so I should max that out rather quickly! I’ve got to gather a list of current best cards I’m eligible for just for bonus.

I had a use for getting a travel together ticket with BA. So, I opened the card for 100k Avios and spent $30k on a kitchen/bathroom remodel. This was from an insurance claim due to a leak. The $30k spend in one year got me travel together ticket.

Thanks for this! I didn’t even think to check cards that have a bonus like this for spend $x in a year! That might be a great way to go!

So this trip I’m planning now is to make up for the day in December when my 2 sons and DS1’s gf got rained out of a day at Universal. We’re going for 3 nights in August, when it will rain every day. But at least it won’t be a cold rain like in December! Just please no hurricanes!

My plans are:
Rent dvc points for hotel stay, using Swagbucks PayPal money (also helping out the MSR on the United biz still in progress)
SW RR, gift cards, and companion pass for the flight down and back
URs for rental car (avoiding parking fee by staying dvc)
Discounted Disney gc’s for food and possible after hours/water park tickets - not planning on full park days in the August heat. I’m pretty sure I’d melt. I’ll let the teenagers melt at Universal on their full day there.

This will be the week before DS2 heads for college in Nashville. He signed his letter of intent this week. It also happens to be the same week as the big Dreams Unlimited anniversary shindig. Let me know if you see any holes in my plan!
Do you have the dvc points already rented? I'm wondering if there will be availability. What resort are you planning on?

Do you have the dvc points already rented? I'm wondering if there will be availability. What resort are you planning on?

Just last night/this morning I was able to get 3 nights at SSR in a preferred room. I think that was all that was left out of any of the studios. We were hoping for OKW, but this will actually work better for us since we’re not doing much park time this time around. Being so close to Disney Springs will be great. And we can still take a boat from DS to OKW to eat at Olivia’s. :lovestruc

Just last night/this morning I was able to get 3 nights at SSR in a preferred room. I think that was all that was left out of any of the studios. We were hoping for OKW, but this will actually work better for us since we’re not doing much park time this time around. Being so close to Disney Springs will be great. And we can still take a boat from DS to OKW to eat at Olivia’s. :lovestruc

That’s awesome. We’re going mid August and have OKW but I put in a waitlist for OKW near hospitality house and also BWV (never stayed there). I doubt either will come through but worth a try I suppose. I also noticed the new Riviera resort is showing up but waitlist only since not expected to open until Dec. Yeah for last minute trips!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter