I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the game and could really use some advice. I was approved for the SW business card and SW personal card in March of 2018. Prior to that I had not opened a new credit card in over 5 years. I do not have any other chase cards. I have excellent credit. I am thinking about getting chase ink business preferred and chase sapphire preferred. Do you think that is a good plan? Is it okay to apply for both at the same time or better to apply for one and then the other? If I get both will I then be at 2/24 since I would have two of my four potential cards would be business cards?

just referrals... some of us have gotten a lot of referrals... i myself have around 2.5k worth of referrals.
theres some ppl with more than that too... we have one over 11k in referrals.

if you dont do too many, then u should be in the clear.
Holy cow! That’s awesome but stinks at the same time

Wonder why the change with both Amex and chase?? That’s really strange that both started this.

reddit is guessing its for "private letter ruling" to which i have no idea what this means... google says... Private letter rulings(PLRs), in the United States, are written decisions by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in response to taxpayer requests for guidance.

I am new to the game and could really use some advice. I was approved for the SW business card and SW personal card in March of 2018. Prior to that I had not opened a new credit card in over 5 years. I do not have any other chase cards. I have excellent credit. I am thinking about getting chase ink business preferred and chase sapphire preferred. Do you think that is a good plan? Is it okay to apply for both at the same time or better to apply for one and then the other? If I get both will I then be at 2/24 since I would have two of my four potential cards would be business cards?
You would want to apply for and be approved for the CIP first since you can only apply for one card in 30 days for biz apps. Personal cards allow two in 30 days so once approved for the CIP, you can go for the CSP. And yes, you’d be 2/24.

reddit is guessing its for "private letter ruling" to which i have no idea what this means... google says... Private letter rulings(PLRs), in the United States, are written decisions by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in response to taxpayer requests for guidance.
Hmm okay. I have no clue what that is either. Whatever it is, it’s more bad news for this hobby :badpc:

All the CoP love around here, my Cricut and I decorated my daughter's college grad cap a year ago

Edit: Ok, it's been a little over year now haha Doesn't feel like it's been that long yet.

vroZFckl.jpg
That's tremendous. Our school doesn't allow the kids to decorate theirs.

redditors were talking about making the adjustment of the value when u do your taxes... if u were to get audited, ppl suggest having proof of how much the points are actually worth... i dont know how this actually works, im glad i didnt get hilton. This would be a very good question for your CPA.

i know @Andysol could probably give some tips on what he plans to do with his Hilton 1099-MISC since he has already spoke with a CPA about it...
I guess I'm confused about all the 1099 talk here..... (hard to keep up with all the talk) what are people getting taxed on?

Trying to catch up so I'm still 2 pages behind, but I want to respond to the posts I still remember...

I was going to recommend this exact thing. You can get plenty of availability when you are flying in from the west. Maybe start in Portugal, spend a couple nights in Italy, see Singapore a few days then head down. Or you could make it an epic trip where you see cape town or something you may not normally see.

Just a thought. Otherwise, you can find some fare mistakes maybe once a year. But that’s wishing on a Star.

So I'd love to go to SA, since I haven't been there and it's on my "list." But my family hates flying (I get a little anxious, plus I'm uncomfortable, while DH is miserably uncomfortable, even in first) so I think it's a cool idea but won't work for us. But I hope it works for someone here. We will generally take the shortest, most direct way to get someplace just to avoid more flights. This is why I'm looking seriously at more travel cruises (both the Baltic and New Zeland). Just to avoid more flights.

I sailed on the Constitution on July 4, 1989. Of course at that time she didn't sail under her own power but was towed out into Boston Harbor, as she was for a number of years prior.

At that time, USS Constitution was under the control of the Navy Historical Center located at Washington Navy Yard, and each year servicemen and members of the society got a chance to get tickets for the special 'sailing/towing'. About 400? people were aboard if I remember correctly, politicians and dignitaries plus us families and service members. It has been one of the high lights of my life to be aboard such a historical icon. I have my paperwork from the day with the certificate stating my name and that I was a passenger that day.

Been up to my ears in family as they have returned from Colorado and there are numerous doctors appointments as well as caring for the family. I'm on my 'day off' 10am until bedtime, as someone else fills in. Trying to relax and skim the boards, but won't get caught up. And all are doing well and getting around via walkers and crutches.

Oh wow! That must have been so amazing! I've been wanting to ask your your family has been doing. I hope they recover soon. I'm just so glad that they are all ok.

Yes, we're planning a trip to Australia in Sept/Oct/Nov 2020 (still considering which month). In fact, I joined this crazy thread to get business-class flights for that trip :-)

Because we were starting from scratch, I focused on Chase UR which means that we are looking at United. We live within easy driving/shuttle distance to PHL, EWR, and BWI and could get to JFK and IAD without a problem. I have been looking at award availability on the United site every other week or so and have found decent choices on United and partners when the flights become available. I would prefer to not need a positioning flight on SW but am keeping my options open. The United daily flight from Houston to Sydney looks like a better bet overall than trying to get availability from SFO (which I hardly ever see in J) or LAX.

I think United is easier to find for award availability because it's not considered as nice or fancy as other options. I honestly don't care---I just want a lie-flight seat to get me to/from a place I've been dreaming about visiting :thumbsup2

I'd love to do Australia and New Zealand on the same trip but there is no way dh can take that much time away from his office. As it is, the 3+ weeks I envision are going to be a bit tricky. He'll have to check in with his assistants and the person covering his clients whenever he is able to----the time difference will make that interesting :laughing: New Zealand will have to wait for another time.

There's so much we want to do and see in Australia! Dh really wants to take the Indian Pacific train from Sydney to Perth (holy cow, is that $$$$$). I want to explore Uluru and hike in national parks in Western Australia. The spring wildflowers in WA are intensely gorgeous! We both want to experience the Great Barrier Reef but, since I have deepwater issues, it looks the not-terribly-expensive day trips out to the reef are out and a flying trip to a resort island on the reef are in. It's going to be tricky to get everything scheduled because of the internal flights needed. I have *6* different potential itineraries in my big ol' notebook :coffee:

Thank you for sharing! I was wondering if UA would be best (of course it is, since it is the one airline we have no miles or status for... ) My trip to Aus/NZ was 5 1/2 weeks long - I was in college and had break, and my parents had saved up vacation days for this one (back when it was easier to actually take a vacation from work). It was fantastic. We did do the Quicksilver reef day trip, which was incredible, but yeah it's somewhat deep there. We also spend a day on Green Island which was fun and shallow. Didn't go to the West Coast at all. Oh, the Kuranda railway trip in Cairns is really cool - and I see it's still running.

No Amex 1099’s yet either. Is it possible they are just sending them to those who had multiple referrals? I only had a couple. Maybe those with less than a certain amount aren’t getting them? Or are ours all slow and that is wishful thinking?

I've been hoping that's the case. We are "small potatoes" here in any case, so a 1099 isn't going to cost us much, but still what a pain!

@Andysol just posted on reddit of a chase 1099 form for referrals... :\

RIP.

I couldn't "like" your post, but thank you for sharing.

:( Of course the first year I find this group

My thoughts exactly.

Yup. I’ll have over $20k untaxed added to my income this year. $11,200 was chase. FML :guilty:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/amd5ce/discussion_thread_february_02_2019/eflqmyq/

Silver lining is maybe $600 and under won’t get a letter as Chase did include a supplemental letter mentioning it (screenshot in my link).

Sigh

Wow! 20K?

$335 income on the ASPIRE?! :mad: I really hope this gets rolled back. I'm not filing my taxes until April.

So far I’ve just gotten one 1099 from Amex, and I think it’s for my Aspire too. $200+. We always file on extension though because we always need to wait for a couple of K1s for some investment partnerships I’m still in related to my law firm days. So we usually end up filing pretty close to the Oct. deadline. Hoping to have some good feedback by then on how this is shaking out. I’m now expecting one from Chase too, since a friend used my CSR referral before those died. Or maybe Chase will be more judicious with the $600 threshold.

None for me yet. I did have a couple referrals, but I'm hoping they were below the threshold. So annoying! I went ahead and deleted my referral info on DISchurners. I didn't get many from it, and at this point it isn't worth the hassle or uncertainty of being taxed on it. Some of the valuations are pretty ridiculous. Hopefully people are successful in getting the amount reconsidered. I would argue cash out price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter