I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone that has Primark, by chance do they sell 3rd party gift cards? I've only walked into one once and I didn't really look too hard at anything. There's an AmEx offer for $5 off a $25 purchase, and I hear they can have some cute Disney items, but budget wise I'd be more interested in almost anything else at this stage. Trying to decide if it worth the trip for the offer.

Anyone have any experience with cancelling a hotel stay that was prepaid with MR points? I had redeemed a bunch of MR for a 1 night stay in NYC, then found an inexpensive (for NYC) room for cash, so I cancelled the room I had paid for with MR. When I originally booked the prepaid room it showed as a charge for $300 (making up numbers) and then a MR credit of $300 to cover the charge (for this redemption I was getting .01 per point). I cancelled the reservation, and now I have a vendor credit for $300, and my MRs haven't been returned. Is this a thing? Did I just inadvertently cash out MRs at .01 per point? Trying to decide if I want to call them and see if I can get my MRs back - I have a use for them, but I could also use the $300 cash, so not sure I want to correct it.

Interesting. I thought the prepaid rates with MRs were nonrefundable -- was that true for your booking? But you cancelled with the vendor and they (not Amex) refunded your credit card? If all that's true, then yes, I think you did cash out at 1cpp.

Anyone have any experience with cancelling a hotel stay that was prepaid with MR points? I had redeemed a bunch of MR for a 1 night stay in NYC, then found an inexpensive (for NYC) room for cash, so I cancelled the room I had paid for with MR. When I originally booked the prepaid room it showed as a charge for $300 (making up numbers) and then a MR credit of $300 to cover the charge (for this redemption I was getting .01 per point). I cancelled the reservation, and now I have a vendor credit for $300, and my MRs haven't been returned. Is this a thing? Did I just inadvertently cash out MRs at .01 per point? Trying to decide if I want to call them and see if I can get my MRs back - I have a use for them, but I could also use the $300 cash, so not sure I want to correct it.

I have no experience but that's my understanding with how it's supposed to work given the terms I read somewhere (probably one of the times when they were updating language to the agreements). Same thing would happen if you used your points to pay at Amazon or wherever else you can use points to pay and then got a refund. They don't seem to want to refund the points but will give the cash equivalent, which is kinda why they do the charge the way they do - as a cash charge that your MR points erase. So AFAIK you did indeed cash out MR for 1 cpp.

Somehow the Hampton Inn DH stayed at over the weekend completely screwed up charging us. Room should have been about $107/night for two nights. Somehow they’ve so far charged us $350 and there’s another $81 pending charge on our credit card. How even??? Guess I’ll call them this afternoon. :sad2:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but good news for folks in the North East flying out of BOS or NYC - JetBlue to start flights to Europe from Summer 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...gin-atlantic-delta-ba-norwegian-a8857056.html
That's awesome. Wish they would fly out of Dulles. Although I can get a non-stop Richmond to Boston if the timing is right. I love JetBlue. Ample legroom, free wifi, satellite tv, full cans of soda, and good snacks--what more can you ask for?

For anyone that has Primark, by chance do they sell 3rd party gift cards? I've only walked into one once and I didn't really look too hard at anything. There's an AmEx offer for $5 off a $25 purchase, and I hear they can have some cute Disney items, but budget wise I'd be more interested in almost anything else at this stage. Trying to decide if it worth the trip for the offer.

Can't help since the only one I've been in was in France but it was a fun store I wish we had out west. Still wishing I'd bought a pj shirt instead of just taking a pic of it. I also wish I'd bought more of their footies, they had some great no shows for my flats.

Interesting. I thought the prepaid rates with MRs were nonrefundable -- was that true for your booking? But you cancelled with the vendor and they (not Amex) refunded your credit card? If all that's true, then yes, I think you did cash out at 1cpp.

No, I cancelled with Amex, but it showed up on my statement as "vendor credit" with no vendor specified.

I have no experience but that's my understanding with how it's supposed to work given the terms I read somewhere (probably one of the times when they were updating language to the agreements). Same thing would happen if you used your points to pay at Amazon or wherever else you can use points to pay and then got a refund. They don't seem to want to refund the points but will give the cash equivalent, which is kinda why they do the charge the way they do - as a cash charge that your MR points erase. So AFAIK you did indeed cash out MR for 1 cpp.

This was a fine hotels rate, and it was fully refundable (MR bookings aren't always, but most of the Fine Hotels rates I've looked at are). Guess I should have read the fine print more carefully. Cashing out isn't a terrible answer - I've got a few $$ hotel stays coming up because I'm hoarding points, so this will offset some of that. Good to learn my lesson when the consequences aren't that significant! I'm looking to use MRs for some more substantial hotel bookings for our Europe trip, so I better be dead sure about dates etc. before I book, even if they are refundable!

This was a fine hotels rate, and it was fully refundable (MR bookings aren't always, but most of the Fine Hotels rates I've looked at are). Guess I should have read the fine print more carefully. Cashing out isn't a terrible answer - I've got a few $$ hotel stays coming up because I'm hoarding points, so this will offset some of that. Good to learn my lesson when the consequences aren't that significant! I'm looking to use MRs for some more substantial hotel bookings for our Europe trip, so I better be dead sure about dates etc. before I book, even if they are refundable!

Out of curiosity, what type of value per MR were you getting using for a fine hotel rate?

Out of curiosity, what type of value per MR were you getting using for a fine hotel rate?

It was .01 per point - so $500 for 50,000 points. Better than their usual .006 for MRs you get for most hotels. For the free breakfast, potential upgrade (we've gotten nice rooms - not necessarily suites, but usually nice) and late checkout, we like using their rates, whether its cash or points. Also, they count for points/status if you are a rewards member, so my FHR rates on Marriott properties count for Marriott elite status, even if they are paid with MR points.

I’ve neverclooked into an Alaskan card—but just realized they run a nonstop to LA from a nearby airport. This could be really useful to us. Isn’t that a highly churnsble card? What are the rules? I’d prefer business cards to personal if given a choice.

That could help make up for the United fiasco as far as URs go. JetBlue to London, BA for short flights to the rest of the continent. Hope that the taxes & fees aren't hefty.

I was looking at an Aeroplan flight from Toronto to London in August and the taxes were almost $1,000.00 for 2 people plus 220,000 Aeroplan miles.

ooohhhh, following. This is interesting!

ETA: So in theory, if I understand what you are saying...I could book a fine hotel collection at 1cpp for $1000 and then cancel it and get a $1000 credit and then use that $1000 credit to pay for disney? Am I understanding right, because that would be like Christmas.

Last edited:
Somehow the Hampton Inn DH stayed at over the weekend completely screwed up charging us. Room should have been about $107/night for two nights. Somehow they’ve so far charged us $350 and there’s another $81 pending charge on our credit card. How even??? Guess I’ll call them this afternoon. :sad2:
You can look at the folio on the website under your account and see what the total bill is to compare to what you are expecting. I don't pay any attention until everything is posted b/c they do weird stuff sometimes with pending amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter