I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came here looking for advice: I've canceled everything for my Vegas trip (except flight) and sold all my concert tickets for a tidy sum.

I used 70k Delta miles for the RT flights. Plus I burned my Amex plat credits on Delta comfort+ seat upgrades.

Should I just throw the flight away or go ahead and pay the awful $200 a head change fee? Honestly I'm not sure it is worth the money. Yes 70k miles is worth more than $400 probably - but this is almost like double paying to me.

What you would do?

First I would call and explain the situation and ask if there is any way you can get your points back. Can’t hurt to try.

If someone offered you 70k miles for $200, would you do it? I would probably just pay the fee to keep the points.

Editing . . . I see I’m late to the party. Glad your fee was lower.

Last edited:
So I've got some exciting news.........Dh got TWO offers today! One is from Littleton, Colorado and the other is from Melbourne, Florida. Dh doesn't have the exact numbers being offered, but both companies have said they will get back to him with their offers!!! We are not interested in the Colorado one, but are VERY interested in the Melbourne, FL one. They asked Dh what salary he wanted and after he gave them a number they said that number was in the ballpark of what they were thinking, too, and let's just say it's a LOT more than what he's getting now. We started looking at areas around there and it looks like Viera & Rockledge are nice areas.

Does anyone live near there or have any experience with that area? It doesn't feel real yet, but it's a huge possibility we will be moving to Florida soon!

So awesome!! Congrats!!

So I've got some exciting news.........Dh got TWO offers today! One is from Littleton, Colorado and the other is from Melbourne, Florida. Dh doesn't have the exact numbers being offered, but both companies have said they will get back to him with their offers!!! We are not interested in the Colorado one, but are VERY interested in the Melbourne, FL one. They asked Dh what salary he wanted and after he gave them a number they said that number was in the ballpark of what they were thinking, too, and let's just say it's a LOT more than what he's getting now. We started looking at areas around there and it looks like Viera & Rockledge are nice areas.

Does anyone live near there or have any experience with that area? It doesn't feel real yet, but it's a huge possibility we will be moving to Florida soon!
Congrats to dh :cheer2::banana:party::banana::cheer2: and yay to moving to a warmer climate!!

Wow, where is everyone this morning? I don't think I have ever seen it so quiet! No CC news so I will just say that my DS's ESPN bracket finished at 99.8%! Mine finished at 17.6% :rotfl:
I'm getting ready to take my 10th grader to take the psat (blech)...gotta drive 45 mins to take her there, in traffic, uphill both ways, in snow...j/k, traffic though and a bit north. So, I'm heading out.

My ds10 has a couple of play performances this week so I'm bogged down in rehearsals and costuming every day, all week :D

Tried to read up here last night to catch. Thankfully, not much going on other than Haley's dh's job!

Got back yesterday from 5 nights in the Swan, thank you Marriott points. Just DH and I, ditched the kids with Grandma. Nice hotel, glad we did it once, but not among my favorites though so probably wouldn't go back. Great location, loved being so close to the boardwalk and EPCOT. They are building some type of grab and go food place and a gift shop in the Swan, that would have been nice this trip. Felt like we spent a lot of time heading over to the Dolphin for those things. I'll probably ditch the old SPG biz cards once the AF moves to $125 but I think we're still going to be $95 when they renew late summer.

I have never really paid attention to the "other" cards. We have been focusing on Chase. Would it be dumb to get one of us the Barclay Arrival plus with the 70k bonus sign up? We are both 3/24, though I think I would get for DH. He has one dropping next month and he just got the CIP so we are slowing with Chase anyway. Actually nothing in Chase I think he needs at the moment anyway. Does anyone know when this offer ends? We just got the CIP, and I am hoping we don't have $10k in spend in the next 3 months so would like to wait a few weeks. Does Mastercard still work with mortgages on Plastiq? Is it straight up or do you have to do a work around? My mortgage is not big and 3 months will only get me halfway, but it could be helpful. Also, are there no support links for these?
Mortgages on MasterCard work straight up on Plastiq, that's an allowed use.
Part of me is wondering if I could get hubby to sign up since 3 months of our mortgages would just about do it, but it's a personal card and that would show on his CR and might be the end of the world so I'm being patient. I suspect they won't like me since I got that AA Biz card and literally just put that one charge on it 6 months ago. I could say "business" has been really slow but it's not stopping my personal spending :laughing: I'm also hoping the offer sticks around for a while.
I don't consider what I do to be MS, but it may be sort of similar. Lately I've been buying Visa gift cards at Staples and Lowes using 10% back AmEx offers or MY CIC. If I were MS-ing, I would probably use those VGF's to load a Serve card to transfer money back to my checking account. Instead, I'm using the VGF's to purchase gift cards for Disney or Amazon, adding additional cash back with swagbucks. Does this count as MS? I'm not really sure.

I personally don't count it as MS since it's organic spend that just took a longer route to get there. You're still out cash, so nothing was manufactured. It could look like it to the card issuer only because you bought a prepaid GC (if they can even see that) and they don't know what happened to it after that so they can assume - just like all those poorly trained cashiers that accuse us of money laundering when executing these scenic routes to Disney cash. But just because it follows similar steps as ML doesn't mean it is ML, and likewise for MS. Just in my opinion.

My dh and I visited our dd yesterday. We stopped by our favorite antique store near her house, where we have been eyeing a piece of furniture since last summer.

It had finally come down to a price point we felt comfortable with. I asked what credit cards they accept. "Everything but Amex." Of course. "DH" has an SPG BIZ (or whatever ridiculous name it has now) 5k MSR to meet in 60 days and we are barely 1/3 of the way there. I told the clerk we would not be able to purchase it because I had to use Amex.

She tried running it through and it was approved! Now I've got to convince the dentist to let me pay for my dental work with it!

That's great :) Usually when places say they take everything but AmEx it's a business decision and not a technical limitation. Most places use a service that offers all 4 of the majors but due to the fees some choose to just not swipe AmEx. Someone's getting a surprise when they do the books :laughing: But I bet it's not as bad as they think, I think the fees for large purchases are not as onerous as smaller ones for AmEx. Most places here that have a limitation for AmEx waive it for a large purchase.

That's awesome! Congrats to your DH. My friend/co-worker's sister goes to school in Melbourne and her mom owns the house she's staying in while at school. It's not a bad drive from here in Orlando. I do know it's much more coastal and got hit a lot harder in the recent hurricanes.

I'm using the green one, and I pay the credit card bill from Serve directly. With the green one, reloads are free.

I would generally avoid buying VGCs and MS on an Amex that you’re working to meet MSR, or at least be discreet about it.

Do not buy gift cards or prepaid cards from office supply stores like Office Max/Office Depot/Staples because they send Level 3 data to the credit card companies, and Amex can tell from this data exactly what you bought at these stores. I know that’s difficult since these office supply stores are constantly running deals on VGCs and MCGCs. Amex has been known to exclude purchases of gift cards and prepaid cards from counting towards your MSR.

Generally, grocery stores don’t send Level 3 data, so you could buy VGCs and MCGCs from supermarkets, but always throw them in along with your regular grocery shopping (or at least a pack of gum) to avoid the telltale $505.95 purchase price ($500 prepaid card + the usual activation fee).

Thank you both for the info. Hopefully I won't need to go this route, but was looking for a back up plan in case we get close to our 3 months and still need to meet the spend.

Now that DHs AA card is here, part of me wants to put in a payment towards his car loan right now, and part of me wants to wait two days because that is when the first Plastiq payment is supposed to hit for his loan and I want to make sure it applies okay (though I've already verified via phone and email that extra payments via mailed check should be fine).

I referred P2 from my CIP and the 20k came very quickly, but we've spent at least 5,500 within 3 months, but the 80k isn't showing up in the earning on next statement section for her. I've factored in any returns and the annual fee. Probably been solidly over the 5k spend for at least a week. I have 9 days until the 3 mos is up. Should I be worried? It seems like none of my other bonuses with Chase have taken this long.

Last edited:
We have had AP’s for the last couple years. 3 years ago I wanted to take a trip before they expired. DH couldn’t miss work so I went on a 5 night trip with them D9. (If you are doing it definitely go before the child becomes an adult). She was able to go and the other 2 were ok with it because they knew they would have their turns so it has worked out ok. This trip I’m on now when we are leaving is just with DH so the girls were saying it is Daddy’s turn. Trip with my youngest I just switched to next month?!? Only bad part is that my oldest then started up that we would start over and she would get to go again. I don’t think so...trips alone are fun but honestly I have the best time when we have our own fabulous 5 together. :)

I've taken my two oldest when they turned 13, just each one and me. It was so fun for them and me. Very different trips because they have very different personalities. It was so nice to be able to do whatever each one wanted. We have a lot of fun with the 5 of us also, but one on one trips with each kid is fabulous also. I have one left to turn 13... :D

Closed first Citi Biz via chat due to "business closure." By the sound of it, not sure this guys name was really Ted. :chat:
Ted
at 10:13, Apr 9:
Up on your request I have successfully closed the card and sent an email confirmation.
Ted
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience happened for you by CITI.
Ted
Thank you for your business. I see that you have had this Citi Credit card since 2019.

So, just went to SM Citi to close my AA biz and there is no way to SM them for that. Have to chat??? Ugh! No, that is awkward. What do I say?

I can't post the link as I don't have enough post but there are DP now confirming that you don't need the AA mailers.
I assume you’re referring to this:
[link redacted - see DISchurners news thread for today]

r/churning will be applying rule 11 to continued discussion of this. (ie they’ll be removing comments in an effort to not have it get blasted everywhere).

Last edited:
Once upon a time I had 2 Bluebird cards that were eventually shut down due to the frequent loading and unloading the max each month. Any chance to get back into the game or am I blacklisted for life?
I just saw a DP out in /churning where someone who was banned in 2017 was able to open up a serve account. I would go out and give it a try and see if you can get a green serve card.
https://old.reddit.com/r/churning/c...eek_of_april/ekgwmcg/?st=ju9w975h&sh=619cb2ee

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter