I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been on hiatus from new cards waiting for 5/24 to reopen, and SO much has changed in 24 months. My question is specifically about business cards. I own a small business, and have always had no trouble getting cards (other than a random Best Western card that we wanted for a trip to Bryce Canyon that required lots of paperwork.) My husband does not—but obviously we would love to have access to 2 sets of business cards. What kind of documentary are companies (Ink and Bonvoy are two we are wanting to start with) looking for? It sounds like entering your SSN is no longer just a shoo-in for approval?

I definitely agree with the thoughts here...Just to add to this: Look - we all need to decide for ourselves what's ethical and moral and ok in this game.
  • For some people - it's not ok to have a "business" - and I'm ok with your position on that. But don't judge me for pursuing credit for my "business" and it'd be out of place to condemn people doing that. I am ok with you stating your position and why, I'm not ok with you trying to convince others to join you in that position, let everybody decide for themselves.
  • Some people aren't ok with abusing/exploiting certain loopholes - and I'm ok with your position on that. And on this one, I'm again okay with somebody stating their position and why, and I'm even ok with somebody trying to convince people of your position in a respectful manner.
    • Case in Point here is my stance on the "This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" Clause. This governs my position on why people should always hit the full MSR despite statement credits, or not abuse returns, to reach an MSR. The additional spend is inconsequential so do the right thing to not screw it up for others. You can disagree with me on that, but I WILL tell you how I feel and I will try to convince you that I'm right (in a respectful manner)
  • Some people aren't ok with hitting up small banks/credit unions for bonuses - and I'm ok with your position on that and in many cases AGREE with that position. BUT calling the mgmt of that bank and reporting what's going on - that's not your call. There's no crime being committed here, if a company wants to run a promotion and people are playing by the company's rules then I don't get to play ethics police. It's a slap in the face of a community that is based on people trusting people with information.
I know this is rambling a bit but I want OUR group to understand why the r/churning mods came out with this today AND why our group here should embrace it as well. It is OK to have your own opinion and your own "ethical line". Just don't impose that on others and don't try to play god or governor or any other power play. Respect and understand that the churning legends that came before us paved the way for the benefits we all reap today. (Yup I just referred to people as churning legends, lol)

THIS!!!! OMG! 2019 is shaping up to be an interesting year. I think that's twice we completely agree on something. :laughing: If you start keeping high AF cards I may go into an existential crisis and start questioning the answer to the meaning of life, which of course is 42. :P *runs off to search for battered copy of HGTTG*

FTFY...

View attachment 393909

I apologize in advance for people that weren't included...There were only 9 heads!!

And for what it's worth...Calypso in the center was absolutely non-negotiable...

That is awesome and I am honored! :D

Oh my, I feel like I won won the silver or I am the Bucky to the Captain America. I'm so happy to be one of the 9 heads. My teens are even more happy lol! They are very honored :D

ETA: I do not dispute that Calypso should be our center. No doubt! I am in agreement :D

I am honored too and this totally just made my day!

Last edited:
OMG I MUST READ! I’m literally planning some time there next month!! I think Sanaa has some South African wines fwiw ;)

I put a link of her blog and her study abroad Instagram account on our Reddit page with personal links if anyone is interested. If you have any questions of the area, let me know, I can ask her. I think her next post is about their trip driving a portion of the Garden Route. She promised it would be done this weekend, so maybe we will see it in a few weeks. Ha She puts a lot of time in each post, but also between the Load Shedding and just horrible Wi-fi in general, it takes a super long time. She bought a 50GB sim card and has already reloaded it.

We have been on hiatus from new cards waiting for 5/24 to reopen, and SO much has changed in 24 months. My question is specifically about business cards. I own a small business, and have always had no trouble getting cards (other than a random Best Western card that we wanted for a trip to Bryce Canyon that required lots of paperwork.) My husband does not—but obviously we would love to have access to 2 sets of business cards. What kind of documentary are companies (Ink and Bonvoy are two we are wanting to start with) looking for? It sounds like entering your SSN is no longer just a shoo-in for approval?

Quite a few of us here are approved for the Chase cards..CIP, CIC, CIU...etc and Amex business cards...using only our first/last name and SS number as the business name and EIN....I’ve been approved for all 3 that way
Chase seems to sometimes ask for proof of an EIN or business name if you apply with an actual EIN and/or use a business name...for the EIN they want a copy of the IRS letter

Last edited:
She is! The DLR program is so hard to get into now. But honestly, so has the whole program. I'm sorry you have regrets about not accepting. I can imagine. My regret is not even knowing it existed!! My friends from college say they all knew about it. Huh?!? I worked on campus at the Career Services Center. How did *I* not know??

ETA: I'm going to be a little old lady working at WDW too.

Not me! I used to have that idea 20 years ago but now I strictly want to be a visitor. I want to keep enjoying magic as long as I can. The one thing that bothers me at WDW is the absence of seating in Magic Kingdom - there used to be benches along Main Street and I remember striking up conversations with older people while sitting on the benches. Of course I understand that it has gotten so crowded that they had to go, but I especially miss the one outside the bakery. They do still have the rocking chairs near Tony's - hope they keep them for us folks that are at the point that we just enjoy people watching.

Chase and Amex are still pretty open with business cards for Sole Props using SSN as the TIN as long as the business name is the exact same as your name. Otherwise they may request supporting docs for the business name, or if you use a EIN they might request docs for that. It's a rare circumstance that they ask for anything else if you follow that format and many approvals are still happening automatically (either instantly or within a short time). I think Barclays is also pretty easy, you might get asked for identity docs but that happens with personal cards too and some had to speak with a rep about the business but I'm not sure if that was for any first cards (they might have had more than one Barclays card, possibly)

Citi is all over the place, you can't predict when they'll want a tax form or utility bills or whatnot but it's still more rare to get a request from them for that than an approval. BoA seems to have tightened up on the Alaska Airlines Biz card lately and several (many?) have been asked to provide business proof, most likely because we didn't have a business credit report as they pull both for that card. Not sure if they've become that strict with their own Biz cards or not.

That was my long winded way to say, you should be good with your Ink and Bonvoy (either issuer :)) cards to start if DH only has a "business".

My DH is on his way back from visiting family in Europe with my LO. He just texted me that Global Entry is amazing (the line to clear US immigration in Dublin was crazy long, but there was no line for GE). Also, a good lounge in Dublin (although it seems to be pre-immigration, so not much help on the way back to the US), free breakfast at his hotels and one of the hotels gave them cake on arrival. He started off as a reluctant P2, but like so many before him, he's now completely sold. I think it was airport lounges that sealed the deal - unfortunately our local airport only has Amex lounges (priority pass does no good) so I may be stuck with annual fees for good - not sure he's ever going back to waiting by the gate

(like a peasant).

Anyone ever take advantage of an offer like this from "Southwest Getaways?" If so, is it worth the time?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 31
If anyone was interested, AmEx reported my SPG card right on time to the credit bureaus.
FWIW I was curious to see if having $0 statements would throw off their reporting algorithm since there wasn't anything to report, but nope, 2 months to the day of application.

I'm now officially 5/24 :sad:
I'll have to wait the long 4-5 weeks before I'm under again, hehe.

I booked a trip using those $1000 AA vouchers we received for taking a bump in Miami last month :thumbsup2 We're going to Rome for a week in early November (dh's "year" ends on Oct 31)! I found a cool small hotel within walking distance of (almost) everything we'd like to see--it's on the UR portal but it's so much cheaper to book directly with the hotel. I am ridiculously excited :woohoo:

Redeeming the AA vouchers was a little strange. Thank goodness for a FT thread explaining how as no info came with them. Because these are paper vouchers, I either had to travel to an airport :eek: or put the flights on hold/call a number in FL to extend the hold and apply the vouchers/mail the vouchers to a FL office :scared1: I took care of choosing the flights and calling yesterday; today dh is sending the vouchers overnight w delivery confirmation. Totally worth the hassle, though.

We will be flying in economy, but the flights are nonstop (PHL-FCO) and at good times of the day :-)

My DH is on his way back from visiting family in Europe with my LO. He just texted me that Global Entry is amazing (the line to clear US immigration in Dublin was crazy long, but there was no line for GE). Also, a good lounge in Dublin (although it seems to be pre-immigration, so not much help on the way back to the US), free breakfast at his hotels and one of the hotels gave them cake on arrival. He started off as a reluctant P2, but like so many before him, he's now completely sold. I think it was airport lounges that sealed the deal - unfortunately our local airport only has Amex lounges (priority pass does no good) so I may be stuck with annual fees for good - not sure he's ever going back to waiting by the gate

(like a peasant).

This is why I'm almost glad we haven't experienced a lounge at all, my hubby is a perks guy. He was totally going to keep the Hilton Biz card when the AF came due for the status and he liked the idea of having the PP visits (10 visits is way more than we'd ever need in a year). I put the breaks on that and said it was fine to keep it if the points earning got us the equivalent of a $95 room, like our Bonbarf cards do, otherwise I'm not paying $95 for "free" breakfast the twice a year we may stay at a Hilton and the potential for a airport lounge visit. I said I could rationalize keeping it if he thought we could do that. The logical side of him agreed that it made sense but secretly I suspect there's going to be more "cuz Hilton points" purchases going on that card. :laughing:
(side note AmEx did a good job with that card with the points earning, just seeing great gobs of points deposited into the account each month is a psychological push to keep using the card. it takes a while for the rational side to do the math and realize the actual buying power of those points. i get a lot of "cuz, you know, hilton points" when I inquire which card he chose to use on some purchases. )
He also fixates on the oddest things. When we were going for Platinum status with NCL, as I'm outlining what it would cost to complete it and was it worth spending the little bit extra to do it in one cruise versus waiting for two, he's pretty much sold but comes back with "That's the one that gets us free laundry, right?". Yep, never mind the discounts on photos and shops, the 2 dinners for 2 each cruise, priority this and that, etc etc, but yes paying $x,xxx now gets us free $20 bags of laundry :rolleyes: I honestly think that was the clincher and not that we tried out an awesome suite for 12 nights. He was fixated on that perk for a while before that and I have no idea why :confused3

I should be flying to Vegas now. :(

Does anyone know - since I canceled my Delta flight and redeposited my miles - will I also get a refund for the Comfort+ seats I bought? I used credits from the plat and gold. Do I get the cash back, credits back or neither?

I should be flying to Vegas now. :(

Does anyone know - since I canceled my Delta flight and redeposited my miles - will I also get a refund for the Comfort+ seats I bought? I used credits from the plat and gold. Do I get the cash back, credits back or neither?

Not sure about Delta, but with Air Canada they refund to the method you paid (for any upgrades).

Has anyone ever done a Sheraton timeshare stay/presentation? I got an emailed offer this morning for a 4 night/5 day stay at the Sheraton Vistana Villages in Orlando (right behind the outlets) for $199 total, plus they'll give us 15,000 Marriott points. Obviously you do have to sit through the presentation, but I have no problem saying "no" repeatedly. Am I crazy, or does that actually seem like a pretty good deal?

Has anyone ever done a Sheraton timeshare stay/presentation? I got an emailed offer this morning for a 4 night/5 day stay at the Sheraton Vistana Villages in Orlando (right behind the outlets) for $199 total, plus they'll give us 15,000 Marriott points. Obviously you do have to sit through the presentation, but I have no problem saying "no" repeatedly. Am I crazy, or does that actually seem like a pretty good deal?

@calypso726 has done this on Maui. Lots of people on r/churning too.

:-)I'm back from my first runDisney vacation and first "free" vacation since beginning this cc lifestyle two years ago. The Dolphin was lovely and Disney was, well, Disney. I am thankful for this group and all of the helpful information I read here. Now, I've got to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter