I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here ever actually book flights through the Chase travel portal and get the flights for the price they initially show for? I am trying to use points to book a flight for my husband from Japan to here for Christmas break. I keep seeing the price is about $1000 (this is the price for the same flight directly on the airline's page). I want to get my "points are worth 1.5x" value, though. When I choose the flights and come to the final page where I have to complete the booking, I ALWAYS get a popup that says "the price for this flight has changed" and the new price is like $500 higher. Oddly, that is exactly the "value" of my points. If I use my points and complete the booking, the amount left over that I have to pay is exactly the same as if I just booked via the airline's page and paid in full. Either way, I'm out $1000.

Why is this? This happens with any flight, on any airline. Is this just proof that these points really aren't worth what they claim? I have seen a similar thing happen with hotel bookings. I have almost booked a few times, but found MUCH lower prices directly through the hotel sites, so just booked that way and cashed out the points using the cash back option, for a 1:1 ratio.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this just how Chase travel portal makes sure they aren't actually losing money on all these points?
I have and I’ve never had that happen. Did you try booking via phone?

Is the Cap One Spark Business Transferable? Our office got in an offer for $1000 Cash Bonus when spending $10,000 in 3 months. . I know they show up on credit report even though it is a Business Card. And can you Venmo this card (otherwise I would not be able to make the spend - unless I wait until the last moment to apply which is 10/22 that will take me into Spring Tuition. I do have a Cap One Venture card with 30,000 credit limit - should this be lowered if I am able to use this offer.
I was told on r churning they are transferable. I know a different name and different business name will work, idk if the address can be changed. One of my parents used a flyer that was sent to them in the name of a fake person at the office (LOL! Used for junk mail stuff way back in the day apparently) and they used it for their “business” instead of the business it was solicited to.

I was told on r churning they are transferable. I know a different name and different business name will work, idk if the address can be changed. One of my parents used a flyer that was sent to them in the name of a fake person at the office (LOL! Used for junk mail stuff way back in the day apparently) and they used it for their “business” instead of the business it was solicited to.

Yeah - I would definitely need to change the address and then apply as Sole Prop.

Newbie question. Whats the best business card for travel purposes? We own a restaurant, and currently put produce and a number of other expenses on a card to get the rewards. He's been using the Disney visa bc it's super easy to just use the rewards to pay for this trip. Then he has a SW card and I have a companion pass. We also have the hilton card, which we use points for all our other non-disney related travel.
Chase ink Preferred + Chase Sapphire Reserve. The CIP has a great sign up bonus and you can transfer the points to a CSR to redeem them through the travel portal for 1.5 cents per point. BUT before you do anything I would review Page 1 here and give us a clearer picture of where you are at with your credit cards and where you want to go. There might be better options for your specific situation and it’s possible you won’t even qualify for a Chase Card right now.

Last edited:
Yes, I did this for my CP last time and DH's overall velocity is very tame. I wouldn't do it now for myself, but it will be fine for him. (red cards are closed and yellow on the chopping block)

ETA: Well now I am seeing he is eligible for a sapphire come 3/1 as well. I am thinking after the next CIP and SW CP, I lay off for 6 months and then double dip?

.View attachment 434506
Oh yeah his velocity looks fine. My best bet is probably one nowish and one in Jan for CP. But that CIP4 - sooooo tempting!

What is about the Costco clothing section that usually makes me want a bunch of stuff.... old person at heart?

It's pretty basic stuff, with an occasional winner. I buy it and I'm older. I like the fact that it's inexpensive and almost disposable, but still decent quality for $15 to $20 a piece. I see all ages browsing through. And at least at my store it turns over fast.

So... we leave for WDW on 9/20. I'd like to stock up on more gift cards for spending cash on the trip. What's the best DGC strategy available today? My usual go to is to buy walmart GCs at Raise when I can get a decent cash back amount through Ratuken, MrRebates, etc. (4%, 8%) and then buy DGCs through Sam's Club where it's already 4+% off. Recent raise cash back offers are only 1-2%, so I'm tempted to use my Blue Cash AmEx with 6% back at groceries and stock up on DGCs there. Any other strategies I should be using this week?

What are people’s plans for CP for 2020-21. I was thinking SW biz 80k next month and regular SW biz in Jan
That's what I would do if I was eligible. I'm still trying to figure out what I will do. I will not be eligible for the SW Personal until Nov. 2020 and SW Biz Sept 2020, but I would love to get a CP next year. I'm considering doing the new SW Biz next month before the offer expires, but then I will only have 6 weeks between Chase Biz applications. But then I'd have to MS another $30,000. I wish there was referrals from the new SW Biz.

So... we leave for WDW on 9/20. I'd like to stock up on more gift cards for spending cash on the trip. What's the best DGC strategy available today? My usual go to is to buy walmart GCs at Raise when I can get a decent cash back amount through Ratuken, MrRebates, etc. (4%, 8%) and then buy DGCs through Sam's Club where it's already 4+% off. Recent raise cash back offers are only 1-2%, so I'm tempted to use my Blue Cash AmEx with 6% back at groceries and stock up on DGCs there. Any other strategies I should be using this week?
No other strategies that are cc related that I can think of. I’d ask on the Gift Card thread for portals and deals to watch for this week as that’s more their area.

Uhhh so I met my Citi spend and my statement closed September 5th. I got 4,000 miles for the purchases and my statement says 65,000 miles was earned as the bonus so 69,000 miles total but only the 4,000 miles posted on the 5th. I don’t have the 65,000 miles m. Are they coming? I used a mailer lol

What is about the Costco clothing section that usually makes me want a bunch of stuff.... old person at heart?

I got some great shorts there recently.

Uhhh so I met my Citi spend and my statement closed September 5th. I got 4,000 miles for the purchases and my statement says 65,000 miles was earned as the bonus so 69,000 miles total but only the 4,000 miles posted on the 5th. I don’t have the 65,000 miles m. Are they coming? I used a mailer lol

I think it takes several days to show in AA. Could just be a little slow. I’ve never heard of anyone have it show up on their statement but not post

I think it takes several days to show in AA. Could just be a little slow. I’ve never heard of anyone have it show up on their statement but not post

Thanks! I’m so paranoid about my miles never posting. I looked at my pat activity and the dates for the spend and the bonus miles were all the same but maybe it backdated the date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter