I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need new cards and have no idea what to get. Just finished up spend on CIP. Original plan was to get one of the other Chase Business Cards for both DH and I, but that is out for now.

I am 4/24 with one dropping off in August
DH is 4/24 with one dropping off in July and August.

We will have tuition due in August/September so was hoping to get some new cards for this. The school takes MC/Visa not AMEX. Was possibly thinking of getting each of the kids the CSP with my referral. That way I would get 15,000 points per card and they would get 60,000 points. I'm just not sure if they would get the card... Here is what they have.

DS21 - Freedom Unlimited opened 1/19 with $1900 Credit Limit (keeping this open as no fee)
He also has CIP opened 7/19 with $5000 limit. Wondering if I wait for the year to cancel this and then go for the CSR for him??

DD19 - Discover IT opened 8/19 with $1250 limit. Not sure if she would get approved for the CSP or not.

Both have incomes at about $10,000 - $15,000 a year while in school. What is the least amount of credit limit to be approved for on the CSP?

If they apply and get accepted, I'd love to know. Having said that, I have friends whose kids graduated last year and they all have good jobs with high salaries, but none of them have been approved for either the CSP or the CSR. Based on this, my DD was not comfortable applying for either one (she has the 2 chase cards your DS has). I'm not sure what Chase is looking for (maybe a longer credit history?) but all 4 of the young adults I mentioned do have other cards.

If they apply and get accepted, I'd love to know. Having said that, I have friends whose kids graduated last year and they all have good jobs with high salaries, but none of them have been approved for either the CSP or the CSR. Based on this, my DD was not comfortable applying for either one (she has the 2 chase cards your DS has). I'm not sure what Chase is looking for (maybe a longer credit history?) but all 4 of the young adults I mentioned do have other cards.

Hmmm. Maybe I will have them get one of the other Chase Cards with a lower SUB or even maybe start them on Hotel/Airline Cards. I would get new cards for DH and I but am at a loss as what to get right now. Not being able to get the Business cards really threw a wrench in things. DH can get CSP but not until like November. It will have been 48 months from SUB on that.

Was maybe looking at Hyatt just to get something... we normally go to Disney or on cruises that is why UR's are so great. We already got CAP1 Cards and Citi Premier cards. Any suggestions would be great for other cards with maybe cash back or something... (just don't want to waste not having cards when Tuition is due)

Hmmm. Maybe I will have them get one of the other Chase Cards with a lower SUB or even maybe start them on Hotel/Airline Cards. I would get new cards for DH and I but am at a loss as what to get right now. Not being able to get the Business cards really threw a wrench in things. DH can get CSP but not until like November. It will have been 48 months from SUB on that.

Was maybe looking at Hyatt just to get something... we normally go to Disney or on cruises that is why UR's are so great. We already got CAP1 Cards and Citi Premier cards. Any suggestions would be great for other cards with maybe cash back or something... (just don't want to waste not having cards when Tuition is due)

How about a CFU for your DD as a start? I'm not sure what else to suggest for the kids. I will say that the Hyatt card gives what I think of as a good value for a relatively low AF, but I'm not sure what the eligibility bar is for that one.

I just got the Hyatt card for lack of anything better. lol I just couldn't think of any card I really wanted. I have car insurance coming up that will take care of a big chunk of it. Unfortunately we are doing work on our house and it is all by check. Also DD's school takes no credit card at all and it looks like DS's will, but for a 2.75% fee. So we have about $30k of expenses coming up and not able to use CC for any of it. Makes me want to cry.

How about a CFU for your DD as a start? I'm not sure what else to suggest for the kids. I will say that the Hyatt card gives what I think of as a good value for a relatively low AF, but I'm not sure what the eligibility bar is for that one.

Yeah - I think maybe CF for CFU for DD and CF for DH. Then maybe WOH for both DH and I or looking at US Bank Card or BOA Premium Rewards. Any idea how hard or easy these are to get. I have a US Bank BIz card but no longer a bank account. No bank accounts for BOA either.

Still struggling to find bread flour in store (last week I saw King Arthur Organic bread flour at Publix for almost $10/bag) but I just was able to buy 20 pounds from Walmart (King Arthur and Pillsbury) with free shipping. And found a jar of Food Lion yeast last week. My bagel making will continue!

And the dog went to the vet today for her annual check up and the vet says she still thinks she's a puppy. Her bloodwork comes back tomorrow. She likely has Cushing's so her liver enzymes are out of whack. Another $240 toward my SW Biz Performance $25K minimum spend! Next week I'll put another $6K on it (estimated taxes--yippee!).

CFU is a good one, especially if you are going after the points. Save the points instead of taking the cash back and approved for a CSP / CSR in the the future you can transfer the pts. I put all purchases other than dining or travel on my CFU and then transfer the points because CFU gets the 1.5 pts and my CSP only gets 1 pt on almost everything. We are currently working on wife's CSP's MSR though so that takes some president.

CFU is a good one, especially if you are going after the points. Save the points instead of taking the cash back and approved for a CSP / CSR in the the future you can transfer the pts. I put all purchases other than dining or travel on my CFU and then transfer the points because CFU gets the 1.5 pts and my CSP only gets 1 pt on almost everything. We are currently working on wife's CSP's MSR though so that takes some president.

Agreed. DD kept the points for future travel, plus that 1.5 pts on everything is really nice.

Yeah - I think maybe CF for CFU for DD and CF for DH. Then maybe WOH for both DH and I or looking at US Bank Card or BOA Premium Rewards. Any idea how hard or easy these are to get. I have a US Bank BIz card but no longer a bank account. No bank accounts for BOA either.

I know that CF and CFU aren't that hard to get (although I do know another friend's DD was rejected, but it would have been her first (non-AU) CC. I have no idea about the US Bank or BOA cards are to get - we only have Chase and Amex here. The Hyatt was an auto-approval for me, I believe. DH used Plastiq and an AMEX Biz Plat for tuition one year, but DD's college didn't accept credit cards. That one has a nice, big SUB and with tuition it was easy to hit the big MSR.

I think I am going to cancel my Amex Bonvoy biz card. I haven’t been able to use the FN certificate. I would probably just justify the fee with the offers if it was still $99 but I can’t let $125 slide.
Do I have to call to cancel or can I SM?

I had .

a little anxiety about the 10k spend on my Amex Biz plat....sadly looks like we are going to need a new AC unit so that will basically all be done on one swipe of the card.

Also so far I hate the new AC system process....everyone say something different and it seems like a car sale process where the real price needs to be negotiated.

Haha.....I had a quote from Lenox for twice what I actually paid. I didn't know I was supposed to negotiate for an ac unit until I had to buy a second one for this house after 20 + years. First one was 2-3 years after I moved in. Anyway, I'm quite cool and hopefully it will stay that way. Some processes are just not straight forward.

I'm still not sure what to do with my AA business cards. I got them last year for the bonus points and now I have two AF pending. One is Citi and one is Barclays. I really have no need of the cards right now, but I don't want to sour any bank relationships. Any suggestions on what to do? I also have a bout 100K AA points that I will probably use at some point, but doubtful it will be in the next year.
I was in a similar situation earlier this year. I cancelled them both because I couldn't see myself using any of the benefits for a long time.

For applicants with thinner credit history, Chase tends to want a year of relationship history with their products, e.g., checking/savings/investment accounts, other lower tiered credit card products.

Still struggling to find bread flour in store (last week I saw King Arthur Organic bread flour at Publix for almost $10/bag) but I just was able to buy 20 pounds from Walmart (King Arthur and Pillsbury) with free shipping. And found a jar of Food Lion yeast last week. My bagel making will continue!
I haven't been able to find bread flour either or vital wheat gluten. I tried making your bagel recipe a few weeks back without bread flour and it didn't work out so well. I think I added a bit more wheat flour to the recipe than I probably should have. Oh well. As soon as I find some bread flour, I am determined to try again!

I haven't been able to find bread flour either or vital wheat gluten. I tried making your bagel recipe a few weeks back without bread flour and it didn't work out so well. I think I added a bit more wheat flour to the recipe than I probably should have. Oh well. As soon as I find some bread flour, I am determined to try again!
It may have been my recipe, not the flour:). I find it’s a lot of trial and error. It can’t be too wet or too dry. And the humidity affects it a lot. My dough is rising for tomorrow.

Any indication Chase will continue 5x on grocery for CSR, etc? I tried scanning DOC this morning, then lost my day to migraine. Trying to grocery shop now and plan purchases for the next 2 weeks lol Unprepared to say the least.

I've been getting my flour online from the manufacturer directly since it's so hard to find locally.

Any indication Chase will continue 5x on grocery for CSR, etc? I tried scanning DOC this morning, then lost my day to migraine. Trying to grocery shop now and plan purchases for the next 2 weeks lol Unprepared to say the least.
No indication from what I have read.

Added the Amex shop small offer to my Surpass, then saw it was also on my BCP, but it wouldn't let me add it to that one; got 'sorry about that. the offer you selected has already been added to one of your cards'. Oh well, I probably wouldn't have used it that much anyway. I don't recall Chase limiting my offers to one card I have with them!

I've noticed recently that offers I was previously able to add to my Amex Biz, Amex personal and Amex AU cards, now only allow me to add once.

I think I am going to cancel my Amex Bonvoy biz card. I haven’t been able to use the FN certificate. I would probably just justify the fee with the offers if it was still $99 but I can’t let $125 slide.
Do I have to call to cancel or can I SM?

I had called and got retention offer for either $80 or $100, sorry I can't remember. I cancelled and now am very sorry. Until last week I had only used 2 FNCs and didn't think the card was worthwhile for me. Thinking back over the year, I had gotten 10% Lowes offer that saved me $100 on my new generator, a 35,000 FNC and 15,000 Marriott points. A week ago I used 3 FNCs for DGDs other grandparents to join us on vacation. Marriott is very good about extending the FNCs. I'm dealing with cancellation remorse.:guilty:

Do you have a Gordon Foodservice (GFS Marketplace)? I was able to find bread flour there. It's bleached which I usually avoid but will compromise on for now. Funny story, I ordered it through Instacart with a bunch of stuff for my mom and had it delivered to moms house. It was a 25# bag. Sent DH over to pick it up from mom's front porch. He comes back "You ordered 50# of flour?!" Turns out 2-25# bags were shrink wrapped together and neither the Instacart shopper nor the cashier noticed. I'm up to my ears in bread flour.
I found gluten on Amazon sporadically. Found Bob's Red Mill wheat gluten at Jewel (Albertsons) last week after trying to order elsewhere using Instacart. The poor Instacart shopper was so confused. She kept sending me pictures of everything gluten free in the baking aisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter