• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends where you stay and what you want to do. Early Jan can be pretty quiet. We were in Kona a few years ago during DD's school break (I think we left a few days before Jan 1) and honestly it was really quiet and not busy at all during that week.
That’s good news. If we decide to go ahead and book this I may pm you for some advice because I see you said you’re very familiar with Grand Wailea and that’s where we’re looking to stay.

Give the fireside chat a read. Unfortunately you might find yourself in a tough position to earn more Chase URs. CIP, CIU, and CIC are essentially off the table. CSR and CSP have a 48 month waiting period from when you each earned your last Sapphire bonus. (Yeah you read that right... 4 years, it’s sort of nuts).

Your options there are CF and CFU (the freedom lineup).

Your interest in Hilton and Marriott gives you some good options. You might want to do some research there though because there’s A LOT of options.

Cash back is popular right now with travel sort of on pause too. BCE and BCP from are popular there but there’s a lot of other options out there too.

given everything I read on that fireside chat I will probably just PC both of our CIP to one of the no fee biz cards.
And just 🙀 on those 48 months. I already have a CF but will look at the CFU.

I have the HH and the Hilton surpass and so does player 2. Will look but not sure what else does not involve a really big AF.
I will check Marriott and Hyatt and see if there is anything I can meet the spend on.

I have not applied or looked at any offers in like 5 months. I need to do some more research on which cards to apply for. but I do have an idea on what to do with my current cards now.

given everything I read on that fireside chat I will probably just PC both of our CIP to one of the no fee biz cards.
And just 🙀 on those 48 months. I already have a CF but will look at the CFU.

I have the HH and the Hilton surpass and so does player 2. Will look but not sure what else does not involve a really big AF.
I will check Marriott and Hyatt and see if there is anything I can meet the spend on.

I have not applied or looked at any offers in like 5 months. I need to do some more research on which cards to apply for. but I do have an idea on what to do with my current cards now.
Hilton Biz cards are a nice way to not affect your 5/24 status and you could cross-support between spouses for some extra points! (Do not self-support, that will bring the hammer down on you, only cross support).

CFU Isn’t a great bonus BUT it is an option. Cross support there can make it more lucrative (which would at least be an option on your 2nd one). There are links for CFU on DISchurners.

Hyatt is a great card option! Marriott has a lot of restrictions between the various cards so you’d want to research before pulling the trigger there.

Hilton Biz cards are a nice way to not affect your 5/24 status and you could cross-support between spouses for some extra points! (Do not self-support, that will bring the hammer down on you, only cross support).

CFU Isn’t a great bonus BUT it is an option. Cross support there can make it more lucrative (which would at least be an option on your 2nd one). There are links for CFU on DISchurners.

Hyatt is a great card option! Marriott has a lot of restrictions between the various cards so you’d want to research before pulling the trigger there.
Are Hilton Biz hard to apply for or easy approvals? And yes no self-support. That I remember reading about awhile back. 🤣
I dont have a Marriott card because they always seem like im not getting enough points for the spend. I can get about 2 nights free with the points when with Hilton I can easily use the points from the bonus to get at least 3 nights.

We usually use points for Disneyland or other California vacations. We don't make big trips besides DL & Mexico. We have talked about Puerto Vallarta, Hawaii, DW and Canada. The whole family is not a fan of traveling by plane for long periods. So maybe one of those this year or two who knows, given everything going on not sure if any trips will be taken soon.

I wouldn't mind a airline credit card. I do have some points with Alaska and mostly fly with them or Jet Blue. Ill fly with any as long as the points are worth it. I just like being able to choose my seat😂

Yay! I am feeling so accomplished on Mother’s Day! Finally decided on our plan for HI at Christmas! 12/18- Fly to CA, 12/19-24- Grand Wailea, Maui, 12/24-28- Grand Hyatt Kauai, 12/28-1/2-Kona (Hilton timeshare thing), 1/2- Fly to CA, 1/3- Fly to BWI. Maui and Kauai hotels are booked! Need to call tomorrow to book the timeshare but I need to decide which one still. Then I’ll just have flights to book and overnights in CA. I am feeling excited again! Let’s hope this vacation actually happens!
I have Grand Hyatt Kauai booked for October, but was actually checking Christmas dates today as well 😀 simply because December seems far enough in the future to begin booking travel again 🤷🏼‍♀️ I didn’t end up booking it, because I’m just thrown for a loop trying to plan when every thing seems so unpredictable right now.

That’s good news. If we decide to go ahead and book this I may pm you for some advice because I see you said you’re very familiar with Grand Wailea and that’s where we’re looking to stay.

Feel free. We made some wonderful memories there. What I'm not knowledgable about is using Hilton points to stay there. Many of our trips occurred before Hilton managed the property.

Fastpass day is tomorrow and I'm just not feeling it for some reason. Do I get up early and book or just take what I can get when I log on? I haven't even planned which parks on which days. I am normally way more prepared than this.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies!

Ours is next week... We've decided we are not going. I will not be able to stand masks in the heat! I had to go into the office for the first time in months and had to have a mask on for the two hours I was there and it drove me nuts! I have like $4k in gift cards on the reservation most flowed though the same card so canceling is going to require a call and new cards issued so was only holding out to see if I could move it to June 2021 before final payment is due. Looks like in the past June 18/19th is when the next year is released and June 20 my final payment is due. :rotfl2:

Fastpass day is tomorrow and I'm just not feeling it for some reason. Do I get up early and book or just take what I can get when I log on? I haven't even planned which parks on which days. I am normally way more prepared than this.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies!

I did my FP's this morning, our FP day was actually supposed to be tomorrow too but I moved up our trip a day and cancelled another one I had booked for arriving 7/5. If you think there's a chance you'll go, I'd recommend getting up and booking ASAP. FP availability has been very scarce lately so booking early is important.

Yay! I am feeling so accomplished on Mother’s Day! Finally decided on our plan for HI at Christmas! 12/18- Fly to CA, 12/19-24- Grand Wailea, Maui, 12/24-28- Grand Hyatt Kauai, 12/28-1/2-Kona (Hilton timeshare thing), 1/2- Fly to CA, 1/3- Fly to BWI. Maui and Kauai hotels are booked! Need to call tomorrow to book the timeshare but I need to decide which one still. Then I’ll just have flights to book and overnights in CA. I am feeling excited again! Let’s hope this vacation actually happens!
Hurray, that sounds like a fantastic trip! We did Big Island/Maui over the holidays last year, but the opposite of you...Christmas on the BI and New Year's on Maui. We stayed at the Grand Wailea and it was AMAZING!

Question for those with Hawaii experience- We’re looking to possibly go sometime after Christmas but need to be home by Jan 8. I’ve read that it’s very busy that time of year. What does busy look like in Hawaii? I mean I know wdw is wall to wall crazy through New Year’s. Are we talking that kind of crowded in Hawaii at that time- like at the resorts and beaches? We are looking to stay at Grand Wailea and visiting the popular sites on Maui. Now with 2 kids in college timing is tough. For DS it would be ok for us to go in May right after finals but DD will be playing college softball and their season runs several weeks after classes are out. By that time DS will be into his internship and not able to get off. We could possible go early August before they go back to class but I’m not sure when his internship will end. So I think we’re stuck with last week of Dec/first week of January. Anyone who has visited at that time have some thoughts?
So much talk of Hawaii, I love it! We stayed at the Grand Wailea this past year, Dec 28-Jan 3. The resort is so beautiful, even more so decorated for the holidays. I was so nervous that it would be super busy and crowded too, but it wasn't bad at all. The resort is huge, so it does a good job of absorbing people, We never had a hard time finding chairs by the pool, unlike at Aulani where it feels almost impossible. We sometimes had to wait for beach chairs, but it wasn't too bad. It was a little busy in the mornings for breakfast, but I don't think we ever waited more than 15min for a table. I would suggest making any dinner reservations you want as far in advance as possible, that includes the resort restaurants, popular ones in Wailea and restaurants around Maui in general. I didn't think that through very well so we sometimes were scrambling to find places to eat. We attended their luau, which we enjoyed, but it was our very first luau so we had nothing to compare it too. Pro tip: you can get discount tickets through Costco. If you are there for NYE, they do fireworks on the beach which were fantastic! Wailea Beach is the most perfect beach! Even though GW is known for their amazing pool complex, we honestly preferred the beach. The waves were perfect for playing in and the surroundings are stunning.

If you are booking with Hilton points, I would do it as soon as you can. I booked as soon as our dates opened up and later wanted to apply a free night award, but couldn't because they would not allow a one-night booking and, despite calling Hilton numerous times, their agents could not figure out how to combine it with a 5-night booking, plus by that time the other dates were not bookable on points, so we just kept the 6 nights booked on points, with one night free. Great deal, especially since rooms were going for $1,200/nt that time of year.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have! It really was an amazing trip. Now I'm thinking we should go back for Labor Day weekend...if Hawaii is back open then.

I have zero hotels booked. For some reason cancelling just flights is not as sad as cancelling hotels too. But I guess I should have some booked. I planned Grand Hyatt Kauai, but have not looked into Honolulu area (i guess anywhere on the island) hotels if anyone has suggestions.
Crossing my fingers for you that Hawaii is back open for your trip. I'm thinking of booking a long Labor Day weekend there too. We need to get away! A few years ago we stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort and really enjoyed it. It's a smaller resort, but right in the heart of Waikiki, right on the beach, sandwiched between the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider, two iconic resorts. I loved stepping out of the hotel right onto the sand and our oceanfront room that looked down onto Duke's, which has great live bands and awesome lava flows!

I'm going to lose it if DH doesn't get a haircut soon! 🤣
I cut my DH’s hair today! This is the second time in the eight weeks we’ve been home. I have no experience but I think it looks great. He said it feels great so I’m counting that as a win. I don’t cut it as short as his barber does but I can cut it more often while we’re home.

If you've read my recent fireside chat I HIGHLY recommend you keep those CIPs open in some fashion. For most people that means they downgrade to CIC or CIU at the 12 month mark. You could have one of each with no AFs. I would not close them as you might not have another chance to open a Chase biz card in the future.

I should have asked earlier when you answered a similar question for me, but:

Can PC-ing be done via SM or do I need to call?

No, they have to read yo the new terms. You can close via SM.
Thanks for the info.... although that is a bummer, particularly since I am sure phone wait times are awful right now.

Well, I have about 3 weeks left, at least, before I have to try.

As far as moving credit limits around... I have about $11K credit limit total over 3 sock-drawered cards (plus a little bit more on card I still use). Time to go rearrange that now, I suppose... I know I can do THAT via SM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter