• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I wanted to point out that is a little bright spot for those of us cancelling our long-awaited flights...

Many people who are cancelling flights right now are not receiving refunds unless their specific flights are cancelled by the airline. Those who cancel on their own, because they do not wish to travel or for any other personal reason, are receiving vouchers or travel bank funds. However, since we booked with points, we can simply recoup them without having to worry about expiration dates or limitations. When we cancelled our award flights with Delta, we got the points redeposited & the taxes/fees refunded to the original CC automatically.

If you have to cancel, at least it’s a better way to cancel.
Was there a fee to reinstate your miles? I will be cancelling flights with Delta and they are on points. I am waiting until the last minute more from denial than a chance it will happen. I don't think I can get DH on a plane this year.

<sigh> I had such great plans for 2020 and they are slowing slipping away. I know it is nothing new, just my slow acceptance of the situation. The only thing I feel good about is Jan/Feb 2021 Hawaii. But a second wave of virus could wipe that out.

we stayed at a sweet little family run campground right nearby here....technically we missed most of this park b/c we got lost the day before and drove to the edge of Lake Powell...:rotfl2: beware of cool little gas stations built into the rock cliffs and turns that are easy to overlook:rotfl:

Funny we stayed at a campground too - Thousand Lakes. We didn't camp but stayed in one of the cabins. It was a cute little cabin with 2 sleeping areas and a small kitchen. It wasn't very clean though, which was a bummer. The campground overall was very nice and so close to Capitol Reef.

Funny we stayed at a campground too - Thousand Lakes. We didn't camp but stayed in one of the cabins. It was a cute little cabin with 2 sleeping areas and a small kitchen. It wasn't very clean though, which was a bummer. The campground overall was very nice and so close to Capitol Reef.
ok I lied.... it was a cute little cabin in a campground lol ,didn't realize it looked like we were tenting.... it was tiny,and super clean,and had the cutest little gift shop/general store!

ok I lied.... it was a cute little cabin in a campground lol ,didn't realize it looked like we were tenting.... it was tiny,and super clean,and had the cutest little gift shop/general store!

I wonder if it was the same place. Do you recall the name? The general store was adorable.

Mortgage processor chiming in too late LOL, I see all the Equity info has been clarified.

Can I say booking a flight right now bites?!?! My dad is going downhill very fast, Hospice has been brought in. Trying to get flights this weekend, and while I knew costs would be up, there are hardly any flights period!! And only 1 direct flight, which doesn't work. It's barely a two hour flight, and connecting right now, not what I want to do.
Before I got that call yesterday, I was looking for flights down there, to pick up my dads car and Delta cut June flights so deeply to Nashville, the entire month of June is sold out. How do the airlines expect to recover if they cut flights so much that no one can even book one??
Health issues for my baby, our two year old aussiedoodle that we waited so long for. Not ready to type anything yet, but between the issues there and the call from my stepmom yesterday, it's not a great week. Finally got some sleep last night, I think I was just too exhausted not too, I hadn't barely slept in 3 nights.

Was there a fee to reinstate your miles? I will be cancelling flights with Delta and they are on points. I am waiting until the last minute more from denial than a chance it will happen. I don't think I can get DH on a plane this year.

<sigh> I had such great plans for 2020 and they are slowing slipping away. I know it is nothing new, just my slow acceptance of the situation. The only thing I feel good about is Jan/Feb 2021 Hawaii. But a second wave of virus could wipe that out.
I cancelled multiple Delta flights on miles, and they were all put back for no fees. This was in April but I would guess that still stands. If you go through the process, it will tell you if they will be put back, before you finalize.

I'm assuming your son is older and can be left alone. If that's the case, and he won't commit either way (all of my brothers are like that) then I would just leave it, and he can just not come along to that one ADR. I know my Mom would be freaking out about this, because she feels left out if anyone gets left out, but for our last few Disney trips my brothers have gone off and done their own thing most of the time anyway.
If it's a problem for most of your ADRs, then I would pick and choose some to do the extra ressie for and some not. But, if you've managed to get an ADR for 5 for most places.

As for the other....I'd probably book with Hilton points. We've run into issues with booking through 3rd parties recently also. It's such an annoyingly stupid thing that can happen.

He's Army so whether or not he can go is very up in the air right now. He's leaning toward waiting to go on a trip post-deployment. I think I'm going to leave my ADR for 4, then I'll cancel if he's with us most likely. While he can certainly be on his own, the mom in me wants to spend all the time with him that I can ;)

I don't know how many people this will help since it's for US Cellular, but I had a Chase offer for save $45 when you spend $30 on your first month service. I needed new charging cords so I thought it was worth a shot to try that and it went to redeemed with a purchase from an US Cellular store. I bought it Friday and it went to redeemed today. I had it on my CIC and DH had it on his Freedom. Today is the last day.

Thanks - I may try this too. Not much to lose I guess.

How to the rebates usually post? I've only done one so far - it was at Office Depot for 10% back up to $8.00. I purchased an $80.00 Amazon gift card on my CIC. It shows the $8.00 as earned when I look at my offers, but I don't see it in my transactions anywhere? Does it just show up like a payment on the next statement?

Mortgage processor chiming in too late LOL, I see all the Equity info has been clarified.

Can I say booking a flight right now bites?!?! My dad is going downhill very fast, Hospice has been brought in. Trying to get flights this weekend, and while I knew costs would be up, there are hardly any flights period!! And only 1 direct flight, which doesn't work. It's barely a two hour flight, and connecting right now, not what I want to do.
Before I got that call yesterday, I was looking for flights down there, to pick up my dads car and Delta cut June flights so deeply to Nashville, the entire month of June is sold out. How do the airlines expect to recover if they cut flights so much that no one can even book one??
Health issues for my baby, our two year old aussiedoodle that we waited so long for. Not ready to type anything yet, but between the issues there and the call from my stepmom yesterday, it's not a great week. Finally got some sleep last night, I think I was just too exhausted not too, I hadn't barely slept in 3 nights.

Any chance you can rent a car one way? Long drive but can be done in one long day.

I wonder if it was the same place. Do you recall the name? The general store was adorable.
I don't recall.... the store had home made foods from a local family, frozen and they allowed us to heat them up in their microwave, and a little pool.... but I recall it being very neat and well kept... also the store sold really cool local jewelry etc. it might have been the same place! Our whole group recalls it fondly... I recall tetherball etc too

Something I wanted to point out that is a little bright spot for those of us cancelling our long-awaited flights...

Many people who are cancelling flights right now are not receiving refunds unless their specific flights are cancelled by the airline. Those who cancel on their own, because they do not wish to travel or for any other personal reason, are receiving vouchers or travel bank funds. However, since we booked with points, we can simply recoup them without having to worry about expiration dates or limitations. When we cancelled our award flights with Delta, we got the points redeposited & the taxes/fees refunded to the original CC automatically.

If you have to cancel, at least it’s a better way to cancel.
Sadly not the case if you booked with Chase URs. He should be able to get a refund of over 49,000 pts, they claim they are still trying to contact Philippines air for that one. His United flight they insist he will only get a voucher but as yet we don't know the expiration date, could be as early as this Sept. apparently. He cancelled that flight weeks ago.

I cancelled a summer trip yesterday, now I have a round trip flight for my son on Alaska to try to change to December, and a one-way flight for daughter on United to change. (All booked with URs) I know the United one was booked when they were saying no change fees, so we'll see. I have started to cash out some of our stash as I don't see much travel in our future. I went with URs for the flexibility to book on any airline, but now see the down side of that.

Last edited:
Any chance you can rent a car one way? Long drive but can be done in one long day.
This trip I am not getting the car, not enough time to deal with the details of that. It's an emergency say goodbye trip, and I will deal with the car later. It's a 16 hour drive (they live a couple of hours away from the airport in Nashville), so not really an option right now. We will see what happens when it's time to get the car.

Just a general heads up for anyone thinking about taking out a HELOC. Neither Wells Fargo nor Chase are writing them right now, which leads me to think others may follow suit. Must be part of the general crackdown on credit.

I did just verify the above info before posting, but here’s a bit I am not sure about. Can banks cut the amount of available credit on an already written HELOC? I thought I had heard that somewhere, but I’m not certain. I don’t have any skin in the game, but if I did hear it, it was likely the Clark Howard podcast.

Just a general heads up for anyone thinking about taking out a HELOC. Neither Wells Fargo nor Chase are writing them right now, which leads me to think others may follow suit. Must be part of the general crackdown on credit.

I did just verify the above info before posting, but here’s a bit I am not sure about. Can banks cut the amount of available credit on an already written HELOC? I thought I had heard that somewhere, but I’m not certain. I don’t have any skin in the game, but if I did hear it, it was likely the Clark Howard podcast.
We had a HELOC with BOA when the economy tanked in 2007/2008 they did cut the credit line down to the amount we had on it.

Thanks for all the inspiration to travel to Utah. National Parks were our pre-pandemic plan for 2021, but I haven't had the heart to plan anything at this point, so it's not going to happen any time soon. Embarrassed to ask this, but does anyone have any suggestions for touring that region if one is more of a resort princess and doesn't like to camp or stay in little motels? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, thanks for teaching me more about mortgages - I had no idea about some of this stuff. The no new HELOC news is bad for me, because DH and I have been wanting to get one just in case something big happens to the house and it needs a lot of repairs, but it's one of those things we keep putting off. :(

That’s exactly what we just started doing. Dh said he wanted to deadbolt our door to the garage so we do that each night now. Our cars stay in the garage at all times so no one would be able to get our garage door opener unless they broke into our garage. We never leave the garage door open unless we’re doing yard work and can see anyone that goes by
I want to put our cars in the garage, but every time DH cleans it out, he puts more stuff in it.
First it was goose decoys. Then he built a giant workbench that fills up an entire garage bay, so everything else has to go in the other side. Now he has baby chicks caged out there until they are big enough to fit in the coop. We have plans to put up a detached garage, but he hasn't started working towards them yet, so I don't expect it to happen this year.
He grew up without an attached garage, so he doesn't really understand the concept of putting cars in one year round. He only lived in two houses growing up and one didn't have a garage at all. The house his parents live in now has an outbuilding, but they only use it for their cars when the weather gets really bad. We've been in this house for 2.5 years and I've only been able to park in the garage for a few months one winter. He basically uses it as a barn....
Yeah--I grew up in the woods in CT but generally I feel safer in a neighborhood with neighbors all around. Until recently:(

I hear you. Teenage boys with nothing to do is a disaster in the making.

Last week I took dd's garage door openers and put them in her center console since she parks outside.

And I think this home security system is making me paranoid!
There's definitely a downside to the immediate notice home security systems. Most people probably don't need to know what is going on around their house that badly.

The 48 month rule was not in effect when you got your card, which is why you didn't know about it :) It used to be 24 months, but that changed last year.
Yeah....I looked that up. The timing just barely locked me out from it, which is annoying, but oh well. It does mean that I either have to give up on a Sapphire card for this round of travel, or only open 4 new cards in the next 18 months, so I have the slot open in January 2022.

I probably really need to convince DH to let me churn in his name, or suck up paying out of pocket for the lion's share of our travel.

He's Army so whether or not he can go is very up in the air right now. He's leaning toward waiting to go on a trip post-deployment. I think I'm going to leave my ADR for 4, then I'll cancel if he's with us most likely. While he can certainly be on his own, the mom in me wants to spend all the time with him that I can ;)
My Mom is the same way. My kids are all still young enough that they pretty much have to go where I tell them to go!
I wouldn't count on him being able to come. I expect getting leave authorized from the military will be very difficult for at least another year. Then they'll likely be prioritizing leave for people who are returning from deployments, PCSing or other non-leisure leave. When he gets back from deployment, he'll have a lot more leverage towards getting leave authorized. Even then, they can restrict where he is allowed to go.
I'm just glad they didn't recall my husband to active duty. He got an email about the possibility in March.

Thanks for all the inspiration to travel to Utah. National Parks were our pre-pandemic plan for 2021, but I haven't had the heart to plan anything at this point, so it's not going to happen any time soon. Embarrassed to ask this, but does anyone have any suggestions for touring that region if one is more of a resort princess and doesn't like to camp or stay in little motels? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
These teepees might be right up your alley (so to speak!)

https://capitolreefresort.com/
or at Zion

https://www.redmountainresort.com/
But most of what I remember seeing is small motels and some of the lower priced chains - Quality Inn/Best Western stuff. However, we had no complaints, it was all clean.

Thanks - I may try this too. Not much to lose I guess.

How to the rebates usually post? I've only done one so far - it was at Office Depot for 10% back up to $8.00. I purchased an $80.00 Amazon gift card on my CIC. It shows the $8.00 as earned when I look at my offers, but I don't see it in my transactions anywhere? Does it just show up like a payment on the next statement?
You’re welcome. Yes, it will just show up as credit within 7-14 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter