I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK. I'm not an alarmist,also not an ostrich with head in the sand type. It 'feels' to me like this is a media induced fear.... Is this virus a real thing? Yes. Does it kill some people? Yes. Is it killing people at the same rate as the 'average' flu that is always present,each and every year? No,not even close. And yet,here we are. (not this thread specifically) in full blown panic mode...the stock market, any sort of travel to any place, buying survival supplies like we all just figured out that things like this can and do happen regularly.... :confused3 I'm just unsure how to think or really react to most of this currently,especially concerning travel of any sort.
Just to clarify one point, this bug is killing people at a much higher rate than our regular flu. Seasonal flu has a fatality rate usually around 0.05%-0.1%. Millions of people get it every year resulting in the tens of thousands of deaths we see annually.

Covid-19 is far nastier from an evolutionary perspective. It is killing at a rate of over 2% not just in China but S. Korea and Italy as well, even with early detection and access to relatively modern medical capabilities. Rather than 1/2000 infected people dying, the corona numbers are currently about 1/40. We expect that medical treatment in the US, Canada, etc. will be more successful, but so far we are struggling to even deliver an accurate diagnostic test.

With a 14 day incubation and the ability to spread 24 hours before symptoms show, worldwide spread is inevitable. Don't believe some random (with a PhD in molecular and evolutionary genetics) posting online, verify with the CDC.

I'm not suggesting that you lock yourself in a bunker, more that refundable rates and trip insurance are a good idea at this point. We are still going on cruise next month, but I am fully prepared to be shut out of one or more ports if any one of the thousands of guests and crew onboard have flu-like symptoms.
You beat me to it @DisMommyTX . Statistics can be used to skew messages. Regular flu has more fatalities in absolute numbers but the fatality rate is very, very small. The Covid-19 fatality rate is much higher, while still only a bit over 2%. In this case the rate worries me more than the absolute numbers.

I am not changing my travel plans for next week since we are flying to CA, in the US. I am thinking of taking disinfecting wipes and wiping down the tray and arm rests on the plane and surfaces in the car. I don't normally do that but that seems like a small action that might pay off.

My chase Staple offers now posted from last Sunday. That takes forever. All of my staples are now one per person. There is a cashier who will charge them one at a time and let me get more than one in a trip. So I was able to get $1000 over 3 trips. Also made two stops at Walmart to liquidate.

Oh my. Yeah, I saw hand sanitizer today. Plenty of full shelves at my Costco. We live in a bit of a bubble though...I really just don't think people are even thinking about it much here. And certainly no panic, which I think is good.

I know places in dt seattle werr sold out because it was on the news and amazon has been having to reducing price gouging on their site. So arond here it may be ymmv I'll see.

I'd rather wash my hands too but I also don't want to have to hit the bathroom after every ride to do it. But the wipes and sanitizer don't really help with viruses so I'm not sure how much it matters.

And as I've said before I generally get sick because someone can't be bothered to cover their cough, which at least the one news mentioned last bight but it's still not enough. Bad enough if you go out sick I get it happens and sometimes it's you're only option but dont continue being selfish and not cover your cough cause you can't be bothered.

I'm not worried about this too much but it worries me much more than the flu. Especially since it seems the people being tested here are people bad enough they need to go to the hospital and we're starting to get people that haven't had known contact which was going to happen.

You beat me to it @DisMommyTX . Statistics can be used to skew messages. Regular flu has more fatalities in absolute numbers but the fatality rate is very, very small. The Covid-19 fatality rate is much higher, while still only a bit over 2%. In this case the rate worries me more than the absolute numbers.

You can't really say what the mortality rate is at the beginning of an outbreak. You test the people who get really sick at the beginning and not the people who also got sick but stayed at home. Now there is fear, more people go to the doctor to get tested and then you'll eventually start seeing a more accurate rate.

Just to clarify one point, this bug is killing people at a much higher rate than our regular flu. Seasonal flu has a fatality rate usually around 0.05%-0.1%. Millions of people get it every year resulting in the tens of thousands of deaths we see annually.

Covid-19 is far nastier from an evolutionary perspective. It is killing at a rate of over 2% not just in China but S. Korea and Italy as well, even with early detection and access to relatively modern medical capabilities. Rather than 1/2000 infected people dying, the corona numbers are currently about 1/40. We expect that medical treatment in the US, Canada, etc. will be more successful, but so far we are struggling to even deliver an accurate diagnostic test.

With a 14 day incubation and the ability to spread 24 hours before symptoms show, worldwide spread is inevitable. Don't believe some random (with a PhD in molecular and evolutionary genetics) posting online, verify with the CDC.

I'm not suggesting that you lock yourself in a bunker, more that refundable rates and trip insurance are a good idea at this point. We are still going on cruise next month, but I am fully prepared to be shut out of one or more ports if any one of the thousands of guests and crew onboard have flu-like symptoms.

All of this, plus it appears that with coronavirus virus, more people might not develop symptoms even though they are infected (most but not all people infected with influenza develop symptoms). No symptoms means carriers walking around infecting others without even knowing.

Here I am again at the end of a month and ordering for pickup at Firehouse Subs to use my $10 Amex Rose Gold credit. Last time I used grub hub I had to get Amex to get me my credit. Anyway, I need lunch, so it will work out one way or another! And, DD is picking it up for me so I don't have to get out of my comfy chair.

And, I was busy waiting for my retention points to post but no sign of them yet. I'll probably go ahead and order some gift cards - all MR collectors shaking their heads, there are more where those came from, and I'm not flying off anytime soon!

Wow, Costco is bananas today. I always go on Saturday morning right at opening and it’s usually pretty empty but today the parking lot is almost full And the lines just to get in are worse than holiday shopping. Wipes are handed out to everyone at the door. People are loading up on paper goods, water, cleaning supplies. I’m in Oregon and the affected person is at the Kaiser hospital a mile from my house. It’s hard not to get caught up in the hysteria.

I believe today is the last day for the SW RR deal where you get a 25% bonus for accruing over 6000 rr via credit card. I forget the details of this deal, but I know I got over 6000 rr the last couple months. Anyone know when that bonus supposed to post? I think I did this deal last year too but I totally forget how it went.

Last edited:
You can't really say what the mortality rate is at the beginning of an outbreak. You test the people who get really sick at the beginning and not the people who also got sick but stayed at home. Now there is fear, more people go to the doctor to get tested and then you'll eventually start seeing a more accurate rate.

It's good to get everyones viewpoint.

I think a certain level of fear is what is causing me to follow the CDC and all the other written reports. I'm certainly not crippled by fear, but I found myself spending a few extra seconds to wash hands more thoroughly, to use the stinky soap that I hate in public bathrooms, and to try to get through doors etc without as much contact as usual during my recent Disney trip. And, my trips are not being canceled here in the US. But - I would probably not consider international travel at this time to any of the level 3 or even level 2 countries.

While getting on Haunted Mansion the CM didn't have time to make the usual announcements to get up close and too personal with fellow riders. We sort of did a quick walkthrough as it was not busy. I was thankful for that as I don't like to be smushed up with people.

But, back to your post - do you think the rate is accurate for the many victims we are hearing about in China, particularly at the epicenter? Or that there are many unreported cases that would actually make it much lower?

I believe today is the last day for the SW RR deal where you get a 25% bonus for accruing over 6000 rr via credit card. I forget the details of this deal, but I know I got over 6000 rr the last couple months. When is that bonus supposed to post?
I’m guessing it’s one of those 6-8 weeks type of things. Hopefully quicker. I’m hoping for a bunch of points from this too!!

Wow, Costco is bananas today. I always go on Saturday morning right at opening and it’s usually pretty empty but today the parking lot is almost full And the lines just to get in are worse than holiday shopping. Wipes are handed out to everyone at the door. People are loading up on paper goods, water, cleaning supplies. I’m in Oregon and the affected person is at the Kaiser hospital a mile from my house. It’s hard not to get caught up in the hysteria.
Ours was crazy too. It's often crazy but this was slightly worse than normal. But before I got there (was volunteering with DD this morning) I got two texts from people telling me it was nuts. Didn't stop me from getting my chicken!

Also got my final visa gift card and money order and paid my March mortgage payment. Feel accomplished but honestly these Staples offers wear me out. Going to be happy this week to go straight home from work:)

And I remembered my SIL who has Still's Disease and a compromised immune system is supposed to take my niece to France in April for her 16th birthday. Hoping it works out.

Planning my trip to Hawaii for Jan 2021. Flights are now open for my outbound dates. Trying to pick AA flights. I'll be going CMH - DFW - OGG or HNL. Is there a big difference between a 777-200 and a 787-9 first class seats? They are both lie flat. Not sure if I should worry about one vs the other or just pick where I want to go first (Oahu vs Maui).

I believe today is the last day for the SW RR deal where you get a 25% bonus for accruing over 6000 rr via credit card. I forget the details of this deal, but I know I got over 6000 rr the last couple months. Anyone know when that bonus supposed to post? I think I did this deal last year too but I totally forget how it went.
Reading my offer the points have to post to the RR account between 12/1 and 2/29....In my experience the RR points post to my account a day or so after the statement closes.
The bonus points have posted 3 months this later....

Did Costco this morning to get Trail mix and goldfish for our upcoming trip! No stocking up except they finally had the thin pork chops I like and grabbed a pack of those. They opened about 10 mins early, were handing out wipes which slowed down entering. But I was back in my car in 20 mins. Fastest Costco trip ever. It was starting to get busy when I Ieft. Best part, gas was under $2/gallon. That is low for around here.

I am not changing my travel plans for next week since we are flying to CA, in the US. I am thinking of taking disinfecting wipes and wiping down the tray and arm rests on the plane and surfaces in the car. I don't normally do that but that seems like a small action that might pay off.
I know, I've heard some of these statistics, and not to argue (b/c I know it's a serious concern) but part of those statistics include a faulty premise-i.e. that the 'regular' flu is reported properly,vs. this newer outbreak strain, which is under careful surveillance with a lot of testing of possible cases,etc- *if* the former has (maybe) a 50% report rate as conclusively flu,there are many many more cases each year that go unreported. Most people get sick (even very sick) and stick it out at home, without visiting a doc or hospital. (that would be most people I know) with basic home remedies and care,and this is where (IMHO) the numbers become skewed,as far as virulence of each particular strain.
And I do agree on the 'cancel for any reason' insurance,esp. for something outside the country,etc. I know my future cruise has that coverage, just in case of whatever anyway.
I just hope and pray this whole mess doesn't get worse for everyone.

@StephPlum Under $2 is definitely low! I didn't see a price that low all the way to Florida and back, but did snatch some sam's club gas in Florence, SC at $2.04 both ways. And, I used my $10 referral bonus to buy a box of trail mix packages. Karr's. Didn't even look around - grabbed the first thing I found.

Last edited:
My chase Staple offers now posted from last Sunday. That takes forever. All of my staples are now one per person. There is a cashier who will charge them one at a time and let me get more than one in a trip. So I was able to get $1000 over 3 trips. Also made two stops at Walmart to liquidate.

Used the offer on three of my cards on the Staples website and it shows "Redeemed" but the credit has not posted yet. Hopefully it will post soon, but I am at least glad it shows that it got triggered for the online use.

Is the base called Select?

Yeah its listed as "XM Select"

I do my own taxes, but do make payments to the IRS with a credit card for a fee. Don’t remember exactly, but less than 2%. I am self-employed and make quarterly payments, and try to line up getting new cards with that timeline. Easy way to knock out a MSR.

It was just about $500 for my prep this year.

The good news is that we only owed about $2k over last year... so a best case scenario for us!

How sad is it that I am pumped for owing 2 grand? Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter