I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for your advice!

Welcome. Here's my two cents. Bonuses are usually worth far more than category spend.
I see what you mean. So I should start with a bonus card first. Then open another card that gives high rewards for gas to use in between cards with startup bonuses.

Are you near a Costco and could become a member?
Costco is less convenient for me. I always get gas at either Sam's or Safeway.

Feeling like time is not on my side, I went ahead and booked B-Resort this morning on UR. Not half an hour later I get a response from David's lol I did not select Riviera, choose OKW instead. With reduced hours, more time in the room, the room size was important, but also OKW tends to have availability almost always. We are short a confirmation number from being back on track.

Now, if the Army could get themselves in gear and decide what's going on, that would be very helpful.

Can anyone comment on if frontier's "discount den" membership is "worth it" for the spend? I have to spend my Frontier credit in the next 20 days, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use all of it. Right now my plan is to only book the return flights, since that's on a sunday and unlikely to be included in any of their "deals." If I purchase the membership it's a wash for the cost (saves us $30 ticket, costs $99 for the membership WHAT IN THE HECK IT SERIOUSLY JUST CHANGED BACK TO $60 WHEN I CHANGED TABS) but could potentially save us another $20-60 on the return flights. And since it's good for a year, we could maybe use it to save on flying down to visit my parents in FL during the winter. I feel like if i DO get it, I'll be "locking" myself into using them to get the value. However, as DH and I recently found out, SW has pretty similar fares and the luggage fees can actually make Frontier MORE expensive. (of course if we were flying out of Detroit instead of Grand Rapids it is even cheaper, but navigating winter roads and more than doubling the drive time isn't the best choice.)

Last edited:
... We just today realized we’ve been using our bottles wrong 🤦🏻‍♀️ Apparently there’s an indent on both the nipple and the cap that are supposed to align to help let air out. We wondered why milk kept leaking out when he was eating (he also kept making a clicking sound)

Thinking back a dozen years, I bet we had some of those. I finally started pulling the "leaky" ones out from normal use. And I think the leaky ones tended to be the newer one (prolly with the new vent method you described). Thanks for solving a long sought mystery. :D

Hi! I'm new here! :wave:

I'm shopping for a credit card with a high percentage back for gas purchases. I've recently started driving for DoorDash to save money for trips and Christmas. And I'm filling my tank 2-3 times/week. I expect to pay $4800-6000 in gas each year, depending on how high gas goes back up, and if I continue driving as much as I do now.

A little about us, to help with your suggestions: We're a family of 7 (kids from 5-16). We'd like to get to Disneyland about once a year, and another one or two short trips for just my husband and I. Our next family trip will hopefully be next March. We're in Sacramento, so we just drive down. But my husband and I entertain the idea of flying when it's just us. We prefer Southwest. Because there are so many of us, we try to find places to stay that have extra space, and 2 bathrooms. We also love National Parks. And we'd love to take a 2 week trip to the East Coast fall of 2021 or 22. (Focusing on Boston and Washington DC; we enjoy history.) That will be pricey for plane tickets, and hotels. We don't eat out much, maybe once a week with my husband or the family.

I have a Chase Ink Unlimited Business card from Jan or Feb of 2019. (I've been using that for gas, but it only gets 1.5%)
And that's the only credit card I have.

From my research, I'm looking at two:

-Sam's Club MasterCard
This gives 5% cashback for gas. Another 3% dining and travel, and 1% on everything else. We already shop at Sam's Club. I like that it has no annual fee.
(My husband is against credit cards, and I was taught the same way. So an annual fee would make him uncomfortable. But if I was able to explain that the benefits are worth it, he probably wouldn't mind. We make our decisions together, so his opinion means a lot to me.)

-Bank of America Cash Reward
I like that it has a $200 cash bonus after spending $1000. It gives 3% for a category of my choice (gas), and 2% for grocery and wholesale, 1% for everything else. So, I'd get less back from my gas, but the $200 would make up for it.

I'd also get less back on dining and travel from BoA than Sam's. But I think it's funny that BoA would give more back from shopping at Sam's than the Sam's card would. And since Sam's has Disney gift cards already discounted 5-6%, the additional 2% from the BoA card would be nice. (I've also learned from this board that I can get 5% back on Disney GC purchased from office stores with the business card I already have.)

Those are my thoughts. Are there other cards I should be looking at? And what do you all think about these two?

I'm open to more than 1 card. I like what I'm reading about you using a handful and timing them right for the most benefit. But I think I should start with just one for a couple months, at least if they require a purchase for a bonus. I can only commit to about $1500 going on my card(s) each month right now. Then there will be some months when it's much higher during travel or pre-purchasing for trips, and Christmas.

I assume you'll advise me to get a Southwest card at some point to prepare for our East coast trip?

Thanks for your patience in reading my novel. If there was something I didn't cover, just ask!

Thanks in advance for your help!
:welcome:
5% for fuel is the best I've seen, and Sam's prolly has the best prices around so I would stick with that. I know of two others, but doubt you would qualify: Ft Knox FCU (don't know anything about it), and Pentagon Federal CU (really only worth about 4.73%, because you when redeem by buying GCs they are above face value ... a $25 GC is 2640 pts on sale, or 2940 regular price)

Even when you pay and annual fee, if you subtract that from the Sign Up Bonus (SUB), you come out way ahead for the first year. Then for year two, you can keep the card if it has continued benefit, Product Change (PC) the card down to a No Fee (NF) card, or just cancel the card. So don't let an AF dissuade your decision.

I know this has been asked before but I can’t find it. Do I need to wait for the AF to hit before calling to PC my CIP?
I called to PC mine after it was opened a year and before the AF hit with no issues

I agree with palhockeymomof2, I PCed my CIP just after 365 days since approval, and well before the AF was to hit. I actually show a negative $7.92 balance on the new CIC (95/12=7.92)

Last edited:
My vouchers say 5 day 3 park park to park promo. We also have a 4 day with the same language. I’m assuming that I’ll get more credit toward an AP for a 5 Day than a 4 Day. Correct?
Yes, you should get more credit for the 5 than 4, but it does depend on how many actual "days" you purchased. I'm wondering what your promo was? At times there was buy x number of days, get x number days free. So that ticket a 2 days, get 2 free would only get credit for 2 days. I'm not sure if those vouchers would say 4 days. They also have run a buy a ticket get Volcano Bay for free, which is what bought in February. So my ticket was 4 park days with Volcano Bay free promo so when I upgraded I would have had to pay if I wanted Volcano Bay included, because it wasn't really included in the tickets I bought. So I just did the 2 park seasonal AP for no cost. Basically whatever your promo was you have to exclude that from your calculations. Hope that makes sense.

Can anyone comment on if frontier's "discount den" membership is "worth it" for the spend? I have to spend my Frontier credit in the next 20 days, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to use all of it. Right now my plan is to only book the return flights, since that's on a sunday and unlikely to be included in any of their "deals." If I purchase the membership it's a wash for the cost (saves us $30 ticket, costs $99 for the membership WHAT IN THE HECK IT SERIOUSLY JUST CHANGED BACK TO $60 WHEN I CHANGED TABS) but could potentially save us another $20-60 on the return flights. And since it's good for a year, we could maybe use it to save on flying down to visit my parents in FL during the winter. I feel like if i DO get it, I'll be "locking" myself into using them to get the value. However, as DH and I recently found out, SW has pretty similar fares and the luggage fees can actually make Frontier MORE expensive. (of course if we were flying out of Detroit instead of Grand Rapids it is even cheaper, but navigating winter roads and more than doubling the drive time isn't the best choice.)

I think Frontier Discount Den also saves you $5 on bag(s), if that's still true, in addition to the special price notices.
Problem with Frontier is they only fly to certain destinations on certain days, so you have to be flexible. And they typically fly to lesser traveled airports. For Orlando that could be Sanford, which was very hard to get to. That said I bought Discount Den for a year when I flew more.

Still looking at cash back cards for my stepmom, if I can talk her into switching to card more useful. Is the Citi Double Cash back the best? I also see the Cap One Quicksilver (dd has this card) and the CFU. Those are only 1.5 but are they easier to use for any reason. Also are there any support offers to those cards, I have the Cap one Venture and a CSP?

I think Frontier Discount Den also saves you $5 on bag(s), if that's still true, in addition to the special price notices.
Problem with Frontier is they only fly to certain destinations on certain days, so you have to be flexible. And they typically fly to lesser traveled airports. For Orlando that could be Sanford, which was very hard to get to. That said I bought Discount Den for a year when I flew more.
I’m not seeing any language about baggage, but I do know that they fly into mco, not Sanford (that was the first thing I checked when I booked my May flights back in January.) limited dates is a good point.

the other obvious perk with frontier (for us and specifically flying to FL) is that the flights are nonstop. Everything else has a connection when flying out of Grand Rapids.

Still looking at cash back cards for my stepmom, if I can talk her into switching to card more useful. Is the Citi Double Cash back the best? I also see the Cap One Quicksilver (dd has this card) and the CFU. Those are only 1.5 but are they easier to use for any reason. Also are there any support offers to those cards, I have the Cap one Venture and a CSP?
There is support offer for CFU but I've only seen it from another CFU*. i just got a Citi DC a little over a month ago, it is a MC instead of Visa if that matters to you. I believe it will just be a statement credit, it's weird they have this 1% when you charge, 1% when you pay thing. I paid my first statement balance early since the credit limit was a bit low for me and I wanted to charge more, but I think I have to wait for the actual payment date to hit before I get the other 1%.

*referral gets $100 cash back, person who gets the card gets $200 after only $500 spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter