I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well out of nowhere I will be getting to use the new Companion Pass for the first time.

We were expecting my wife to be put in a temporary lay off status since her hotel is not reopening until October but yesterday they said they are bringing her back on 7/12!

So now we are making a quick trip to Kansas before she starts work again. Any tips for flying with a 3 year old (and a baby) during this time? We think we are going to put our 3 year old in mittens when in the terminals so he can't touch things.

Well out of nowhere I will be getting to use the new Companion Pass for the first time.

We were expecting my wife to be put in a temporary lay off status since her hotel is not reopening until October but yesterday they said they are bringing her back on 7/12!

So now we are making a quick trip to Kansas before she starts work again. Any tips for flying with a 3 year old (and a baby) during this time? We think we are going to put our 3 year old in mittens when in the terminals so he can't touch things.
I'm hearing eye protection is a big deal when flying. I know some people are wearing goggles. And I'd have a supply of hand sanitizer (whatever you can get through security).

Back from Bethany Beach 2 day visit.
Our hotel was Bethany Beach Ocean Suites. @SouthFayetteFan and family had stayed there last year and liked it. I was aware of this property and wanted to give it a try, but the points cost did not justify a stay for me in summer, and I never got around to an off season stay. So when DD booked it with her 2 sixty point certs from a past Ritz bonus - these were old certs that Marriott had extended once or twice, I decided to go. Worst case I could hibernate in hotel for the short stay.

Room was ready when we arrived and DD had just had her 50th night on Saturday, renewal for this year and next, but it hadn't credited yet, so according to hotel she was downgraded to Gold status. The next day platinum popped up.

We had exact same room style as @SouthFayetteFan and we were very happy with it. Well, except for the extremely loud air unit. I did let them know about it for maintenance purposes on our departure, but not as a complaint. We were street facing which was not a bad view, but our ocean view was this: Top left balcony on right side of photo. View of ocean was the slit between the buildings, which could be seen by hanging over the balcony, taking a pic with your phone and viewing that. Meant as humor only. We were happy with this room, but would have been ecstatic with OF. We were very close to the pool.

We spent a lot of time on that balcony and the kids loved it more than an ocean front because there was a little boy across the street whose grandmother took him outside to wave at traffic and people a lot. Here is 3 going on teen pretending to be her Mom. All that's missing is the Starbucks.

On our full day - Tuesday - first order was the Sunrise:

Then a trip to Assateague National Park where we viewed some ponies from the Life of the Forest trail. The park was packed and we got going late because of a zoom call. You would think someone would take a day off. This meant that no beach walk as I don't do high noon on the beach. We didn't even try for off road because with that crowd we probably would have been waiting in line to get in. Social distancing on the trail was great except at the end. People were wearing masks and being respectful. But at the look off, a family of 6 carrying a puppy, swarmed us and we had to leave. They didn't wait their turn as previous small groups (and us) had done. I would have liked the same family shot they took when they crowded us out.

Back to the hotel but not before a stop at Dolle's to collect some fudge and taffy. Used the Amex offer so $5 off $12 for fudge and separate order $5 off $14 for salt water taffy. Their's is the best.

First night we had pickup from the in hotel restaurant, 99 Sea Level. Didn't take any food photos but it was good. Shrimp and Grits, More shrimp with Old Bay, sides of deliciously fresh and well cooked asparagus. Chicken, French fries, huge salad which we all shared, plus some cooler food.

The hotel was doing the best they could with the food service. They had this sign posted but had been open only a few days. When we arrived they had decided not to serve in the dining room area but just offer pick up. No room delivery but I don't know if they ever do that anyway.

1abb20200630_053333 (2).jpg

Moving to next post.

Last edited:
Continuing:

I liked this sign

I did not like this one as it made me sad that summer is so canceled.

The town was trying. They had signs all over everything with reminders. And they had their bicycle patrol guys all over the place. On the Boardwalk, near the welcome center, on the street corners. All the time.

The hotel was doing well. Clean. Hand sanitizer everywhere. Plexiglass shields. Elevator instructions - either your family, or just 2 with spots to stand on. Masks required.

We received breakfast. The procedure was 1 person at a time. The attendant held a plastic bag and you told her what you wanted from a fairly well stocked and individually packed selection. Fruit, bagels, croissants, boiled eggs, dry cereals in the full size packs - the round ones, red mill oatmeal in the round cups, sausage biscuits, individual milks, bottled apple juice and orange juice, Starbucks coffee with regular and vanilla individual creamer, all the jellies, Nutella, cream cheese, a selection of Tazo teas. And more. I picked up at 6:30 on opening, first one in. Daughter went later. Both of us were the only ones at the time. They had a little sign that said green not busy - 6:30 to 7:30, so we collected in that hour. 8:30 to 9:30 was red time =busy.

Getting it early was fine as it was not like you were scooping up scrambled eggs. It was all eat now or later stuff anyway.

The 2nd evening we eventually decided to eat take out from the hotel again. The food had been good and we wanted to try a few other items. So, we compiled a list and I walked down to put in my order. Calling on the phone wasn't getting an answer. They had decided to close for the evening. I don't know why, but they had gone from eat in to curb side to close. They did say they were reopening the next evening. This is the same kitchen for the breakfast bags.

So, we were going to do the Sunshine Crepes. Closed at 3. Usually open later, as they serve lunch and dinner crepes as well as dessert crepes.

This brought us to ordering from Blue Crab - a few minute walk down Garfield St which is right next to the hotel. Also on the Amex small business offer, so DD and I each did our own curbside pickup order, but she went and picked up both. This is where I got Shrimp and Grits - I actually had Rockfish from 99 Sea Level. Old lady memory.

So, the ocean was within steps of us and the pool was within steps of us. But we did neither. The pool was too deep for the girls by themselves at 3ft 9 in and daughter wasn't up for holding onto them. She was on work calls too much, including room, evening and driving. (Take a dang day off!) I couldn't do just one. Their activity level at these ages meant one of us would probably drown.

Anyway, I walked the streets in the mornings as well as sunrises. In the mornings you have that fresh, cool and more isolated feel that I enjoy. The girls (all 3) slept through this and only awakened when I came in with the breakfast bag and coffee. Then we had the ride to Assateague and a quick stop at the Outlets for some Crocs for the girls. A Nike visit has also been planned but there was a waiting line to get in so that was ditched. Going to and from home, a gas stop each way for gas and potty. The return trip the bathrooms had a sign that they were not open, but daughter asked and she was allowed to take the girls in and use them. They were clean with hand sanitizer available as well as water and pump soap. We didn't use the dryer - just washed shook sanitized and shook some more. On the way home we carried leftovers plus sandwiches I made from food we brought - ham and cheese sandwiches on hawaiian rolls - so little exposure.

All said, it's difficult to avoid people completely even in a small place but I didn't feel significantly threatened. After all, we basically stayed off the beach and the Boardwalk during the popular times and didn't use the pool. The girls love hotels and enjoyed getting some treats/chips from the market and also doing the crafts that the hotel offered each day, prepacked and handed to them in a plastic bag, plus getting to pick a little toy from the boat on wheels behind the check in desk.

Was this a risk worth taking? For the moment, yes. This was not a Myrtle Beach type hot spot. Was it normal? No. Was wearing a mask at the beach a problem? No. We had highs of 80-90 during our trip and 'my' masks didn't bother me, plus the girls actually wore them also, because if someone else is doing it they want it also. They weren't required. I wore the blue and white disposable and my route 1 apparel Maryland strong, and Maryland flag with crab masks. Got quite a few comments on those because seems like everyone I met works in Delaware but lives in Maryland.

Still on the fence about my Hyatt trip end of July as I haven't canceled yet.

Last photo - early morning tidal pools. The sea washed in a few horseshoe crabs and flipped them on the sand, effectively stranding them until the next high tide. I flipped over 3 or 4 and got them back in the water so they could swim back out. You can see the last one as a dot to the left in the tidal pool with the people reflected. High tide was 2 hours away, and that one probably got rescued then.

PS: was not impressed by the beach. Definitely like Ocean City's better. Too narrow and also a lot of people debris in the mornings. Saw no beach grooming but they may have it, I don't really know.

Editing again: I used my Marriott gift card (20% off) to pay for dinner and would have used it for the 2nd dinner. They easily accepted it and knew how to process it, which was nice since this is inconsistent at Marriott. I'll buy another now that I have a small balance only left. I really should stress how friendly and caring the staff were - they get an outstanding for that. The staff makes or breaks a place in my opinion.

Last edited:

That is a great idea! I was constantly reminding girls to not 'touch' and they were pretty good, but it sure can be a challenge. The flip side was the hand sanitizer stations were all over the hotel so they figured they were supposed to sanitize at each one. Youngest is 3 and 1/2, oldest is 4 and 1/2.

Just tried to cancel my European trip this summer on United. They won't let me do it online even though there's a travel waiver in place. DH has to call because it's on points from his account. I will update.

United is definitely playing some games.....when I cancelled my parents flight that I used Chase UR points on they insisted that it would only be a travel credit instead of a refund since the flight was not changed more than 2 hours.....in reality that flight was completely wiped off the map but the reservation still showed that it was there. If you did a new search for that flight though it did not exist. So to me they were playing games with inventory hoping people would cancel so they could give a credit instead of a refund. I guess if I could have done it over I would have waited longer and noticed that the flight no longer existed. There defense when I called back was "you cancelled it so nothing we can do".

She does still have the CIP but the CL is down to $500. She also was approved for a SW last year but it's closed now. This was her second attempt at a CSP. I think she applied about 6 mos ago or so. Not sure why it's so hard to get approved for that card! Seems like a perfect step up from someone who has a CF or CFU. She uses her CFU all the time too. It's her main card (other than Discover categories).

Hmm. Not sure if I should have him try for this or just go for the Freedom CF card. I have to wait to cancel the CIP at the end of July so have time to figure out. Yeah -you would think someone who has other Chase cards that the CSP would be the next step. DS and DD both have credit scores in the 800's (thanks to being AU on a few of our cards)

Just curious, are they opening sooner? Without being too nosy, always wondered how you both worked in two hotels in completely different locations.

She does still have the CIP but the CL is down to $500. She also was approved for a SW last year but it's closed now. This was her second attempt at a CSP. I think she applied about 6 mos ago or so. Not sure why it's so hard to get approved for that card! Seems like a perfect step up from someone who has a CF or CFU. She uses her CFU all the time too. It's her main card (other than Discover categories).

Hmm. Not sure if I should have him try for this or just go for the Freedom CF card. I have to wait to cancel the CIP at the end of July so have time to figure out. Yeah -you would think someone who has other Chase cards that the CSP would be the next step. DS and DD both have credit scores in the 800's (thanks to being AU on a few of our cards)

(ooops - double posted)

Last edited:
Just curious, are they opening sooner? Without being too nosy, always wondered how you both worked in two hotels in completely different locations.

She is a sales manager selling remotely....for a large hotel in the Caribbean (I think in reddit I have said actual hotels but going to leave it out here). I actually have to go to work in the office at my real hotel. Mine reopened on June 1st...hers is still not slated until October which was very recently pushed back.

I'm hearing eye protection is a big deal when flying. I know some people are wearing goggles. And I'd have a supply of hand sanitizer (whatever you can get through security).
I have taken 3 flights in the last month, I have not seen a single person wearing goggles. You can take a large bottle of hand sanitizer, 12 ounces. I used a lot of sanitizer and wiped my plane seat area. it's easy to distance in the terminal, not super crowded yet.

On the home front, my kitties and dog and bird were happy to see me.

And, my sight is starting to cloud again. I had cataracts done a couple of years ago. So I was thinking they were growing back.

A quick google tells me that is impossible. What actually happens in a small percentage of people is that clouding occurs in the lens capsule and this can be corrected (according to the internet) so I'll obviously have to wait and get the scoop from my doctor.

I've missed 2 or 3 appointments, first because of being out of town and second because of the virus. So must get back there.

Good I'll probably soon have an MSR, but depending on when an appointment is available, maybe not soon enough.

Procedure is probably laser - I'm self diagnosing now. But, better to have some prep rather than be surprised and anxious.

Okay - here's what is maybe an informative post for some of us:

My photos kept turning sideways. So I tried to edit them.

I've finally figured out a simple fix good enough for my needs which is just stand the right way!

Go to edit and make the photo a teeny bit shorter and wider by dragging the circles at the box corners when you click on edit. Than hit save and it saves a copy. Then post the copy which had a (2) to indicate it was the copy.

Not overly tedious but took a bit of time. Made me happy. It's the little things.

Last edited:

My friend bought a face shield connected to a hat off of Amazon for his almost 2 year old. It looked pretty comfortable. Might help with not touching the face too.

If you're looking to use your Saks credit, they have kids' face masks. Bought an iScream Caticorn one for DD since that's one of her favorite things. Ordered last night, it already shipped. Hope it works out well, but won't know until we try it.

The Toronto Zoo has a drive through Safari (last day is July 5th as the zoo is now open). Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and both dd and I both love the zoo (I believe I have mentioned before that I worked at the zoo when I was a teenager), it was a must-do for us once we finished quarantine.

It was quite busy when we arrived for our allotted 10:15am time (first available). It took us about 20 mins to make our way to the front entrance of the zoo; the coolest part of the experience, for me, was driving through the front gates (cars were separated from the people on foot by makeshift barriers). A girl in a booth had a selfie-type of stick that she used to extend to my phone to scan our tickets.

On to the main attractions: the animals! We got lucky at the first pen and saw 2 goats just leaving the back door of their enclosure for some hay! Next off we saw the large rear of a hippo; it was a bit far away, on dd's side of the car, and she wasn't inclined to take a picture with my camera. We wound our way through to see several animals, including a cheetah, lion, zerbras, a white rhino mom and her baby (far off in the distance) and at the very end of the safari we saw the animal hospital, which was massive (also very cool to see this).

Thought I'd share a few pics of our amazing experience:

The cheetah was barely visible perched up on a hill behind some tall grass. This pic is zoomed in a fair bit!

Okay I got a check in the mail from Amex for $100 for "miles" that never posted. It lists the last 4 of an Amex account....but it's not any of my accounts! The only thing I can think of it's from my Delta gold personal card. But I closed that back in 3/2019! And the only Amex acct I have earning miles is my delta gold biz. Any ideas? Is this check legit? It is on Amex letterhead.

This warms my heart so much! (Yes, I realize I’m a sad pathetic man... 🤣)

Ummm, my ex was a CPA. He made a spreadsheet of his work clothes to create a rotation, so he never wore the same shirt/pants/tie combo for 45 days! Are you that pathetic? LOL

Okay I got a check in the mail from Amex for $100 for "miles" that never posted. It lists the last 4 of an Amex account....but it's not any of my accounts! The only thing I can think of it's from my Delta gold personal card. But I closed that back in 3/2019! And the only Amex acct I have earning miles is my delta gold biz. Any ideas? Is this check legit? It is on Amex letterhead.

Ummm, my ex was a CPA. He made a spreadsheet of his work clothes to create a rotation, so he never wore the same shirt/pants/tie combo for 45 days! Are you that pathetic? LOL
That is not pathetic at all - that’s awesome!!!

Okay from googling it would appear there is a chance this check is from my Delta Personal Gold. I honestly don't remember the account number! But it seems these checks have been sent in the past after people have closed accounts. Consensus is, it's from referrals that never posted. IDK....but it looks like I just got $100 I wasn't expecting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter