I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never had any MR earning cards but I know I am probably missing out on something good, lol. Recently, the talk of new offers has me wondering if I should apply for one. Is there a best card to start with? What is the main use for MR points? Is there a website similar to the Chase UR site where you can book travel?

What is the main use for MR points? Is there a website similar to the Chase UR site where you can book travel?
IMO, MRs are not as valuable as URs, but yes - you can book travel with MR - either through AMEX or by transferring to travel partners. That being said, I am a fan of diversifying my travel points and have both MRs and URs. I have have always focused on building URs, but recently tend to gravitate towards earning MRs to build that up more in this time of no/limited travel.

I have the Everyday card - no AF; 2x on groceries and 20% more points each month I make at least 20 purchases with the card.

ETA: and I do take advantage of the Amex offers often.

I never had any MR earning cards but I know I am probably missing out on something good, lol. Recently, the talk of new offers has me wondering if I should apply for one. Is there a best card to start with? What is the main use for MR points? Is there a website similar to the Chase UR site where you can book travel?
For me, the main use for MR points is to transfer to Delta. I like to be able to transfer points directly to a US airline for domestic trips, rather than transferring to a foreign airline and using codeshares. There is a travel portal similar to the Chase UR site, and there is a secondary class called AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts that you get additional benefits at, I've never stayed at one, too rich for me.

What card to start with depends on your spend. I have two small kids, so most of my CC spend is on groceries and restaurants. So I use the Gold Card, if during non-pandemic times the majority of your spend is on travel, then a Platinum might be better. The EveryDay is a good catchall personal card, if you can get it a Blue Business Plus is better, but it is a business card.

Do you have any Amex cards? If you're completely new, you might be able to pull up the 100k or even 125k targeted offer on the Plat or the 75k offer on the gold. If not, the gold is currently elevated at 60k. Even better if you have a P2 who can support you. It's a good card with 4x grocery and restaurants, making it easier to keep spend on it and avoid the pop-up.

The Amex portal is not as flexible as the Chase one. Hotels are only at 0.7 cent per point redemption. Airfare is at 1 cpp, you can get 35% points back if you have the business plat or 25% with the business gold (with some restrictions).

You can get some outsize value if you transfer to partners for business and first class flights. I'm finding value now cashing it out at 1.25 cpp with the Schwab plat.

What have I accomplished today?

I locked DH's Discover acct by attempting to add his SoFi acct to his Discover savings. Now I've got to write down notes and have him call because I combined the savings and credit and I need to get to the credit card.

I called Chase to see about a retention on my IHG premier. No go. I may cancel this one. The free night is useful for softball travel, but there's UR for that. I've had it 2 years so technically could apply again soon if I really wanted (and could get approved).

I attempted to call the number on the back of the card for a retention on my Gold card, but couldn't get through the prompts. I really dislike these "say X" things. Just let me choose a number. Hopped on chat with crossed fingers I could take care of it there. Unsuccessful, but I have the number to retention now, maybe I should have googled that in the first place. Trying to decide if I should call now or wait.

I honestly don't think I've ever received a retention offer at all on any card. I don't remember ever being successful, but maybe I did once with SW. I will likely keep my Gold card, I really do like it.

Well guys (and dolls), made it to the beach.

I'm where I like to be. Doing my best to stay away from noncompliants, even to the point of climbing six floors, but that's mostly because the elevators sort of suck...actually it's the way folks are utilizing them, but enough said.

Despite the fact I have my personal stuff, chairs, umbrella, in my car, I decided to rent. I wanted to go back and forth for the air performances at will and let someone else keep an eye on it and set it up, haul it away.

Got really lazy about the 3 cameras I brought and just used my cellphone. It was drizzly at times and I took the 35 MM back inside before the show.

So you get these:

This is pretty much the best I could do from under my umbrella. I didn't want to be standing up and blocking the view.

I didn't line up in the front of the herd, so had a pretty good space for myself. I could have had any spot as I was out there at 5:30am to watch the sun. So, I was the first customer of the day.

Really enjoyed seeing the F-22 Raptor. It was the hit for me. I didn't get a good shot of it (or of anything), but suffice to say, the Thunderbirds were anticlimactic after watching the Raptor perform.

Now, I'm trying to decide who will deliver my dinner.

Well guys (and dolls), made it to the beach.

I'm where I like to be. Doing my best to stay away from noncompliants, even to the point of climbing six floors, but that's mostly because the elevators sort of suck...actually it's the way folks are utilizing them, but enough said.

Despite the fact I have my personal stuff, chairs, umbrella, in my car, I decided to rent. I wanted to go back and forth for the air performances at will and let someone else keep an eye on it and set it up, haul it away.

Got really lazy about the 3 cameras I brought and just used my cellphone. It was drizzly at times and I took the 35 MM back inside before the show.

So you get these:

View attachment 518760

View attachment 518761

This is pretty much the best I could do from under my umbrella. I didn't want to be standing up and blocking the view.

I didn't line up in the front of the herd, so had a pretty good space for myself. I could have had any spot as I was out there at 5:30am to watch the sun. So, I was the first customer of the day.

Really enjoyed seeing the F-22 Raptor. It was the hit for me. I didn't get a good shot of it (or of anything), but suffice to say, the Thunderbirds were anticlimactic after watching the Raptor perform.

Now, I'm trying to decide who will deliver my dinner.
Awesome! I hear Shenanigan’s is good.

Amex AU question

I added DS as a Gold AU on my Platinum card. Received card today. Now I’m trying to see where I can add offers to his card and I haven’t found anything. I have set a spending limit, and can see his name attached to my account, but that’s it. Does it take a while for offers to populate, or am I missing something?

Amex AU question

I added DS as a Gold AU on my Platinum card. Received card today. Now I’m trying to see where I can add offers to his card and I haven’t found anything. I have set a spending limit, and can see his name attached to my account, but that’s it. Does it take a while for offers to populate, or am I missing something?

Did you set up a separate Amex account for him? That's how I find offers on the my Platinum and Gold AU cards for my kids: I go into their accounts and add the offers.

Did you set up a separate Amex account for him? That's how I find offers on the my Platinum and Gold AU cards for my kids: I go into their accounts and add the offers.
No I didn’t. I tried to Google around to see if I needed to do that, but couldn’t get an answer and I didn’t want to create one unnecessarily. Thank you! That’s the answer I needed 😊

The more veteran churners (especially those who enjoy traveling internationally) will often say MR > UR. MRs are decidedly more complicated than URs, which is why you see many more people gravitate towards Chase as their preferred points system. URs are just easier and with 5/24 in place, most newer folks head towards Chase and some never move on from them (which is fine).

My assessment is that MRs have a much higher ceiling (in terms of max potential value) but also a much lower floor (if your travel preferences don't work with their redemption options). The minimum value one should expect to get out of MRs though is 1cpp which can be done through GCs for places like Home Depot and Bed Bath and Beyond. Any normal adult homeowner can probably see viable uses for those GCs.

If you pair MRs with a Schwab Platinum card (and its hefty AF) you suddenly will have the ability to cash out MRs for 1.25 cpp into a Schwab brokerage account (which you can then transfer to your personal checking).

Of course, I'd be remissed to not point out that American Express has it's own set out rules when it comes to churners. If you've been around awhile, you probably already know this, but unlike Chase (where the rules are typically 100% clear), with Amex it can be a lot more gray. (And not in a good way). Generally, you want to commit to Amex cards you plan to keep, you want to spend on them regularly beyond just the MSR, you want to pay your annual fees, otherwise you may find yourself met with a pop-up stating you aren't eligible for future cards and bonuses with them.

Has anybody stayed at the Hyatt Carmel Valley Ranch? Worth using 25k URs a night? The Ventana isn't available for our nights, but this one is.

Last edited:
This January is our 20th anniversary and I had been thinking that we might take a "big" trip, fly somewhere, etc. But, now I don't think I'm going to be comfortable with flying by then, or going to big tourist destinations. So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a special resort in Northern California that would be good for a weekend trip from the Sacramento area? Doesn't have to be a chain, UR points are a possibility, but we might even consider spending real cash-money for this trip, lol. @Lain , I feel like I've seen you mention one, but I can't remember what it was.

I think you may be thinking of me mentioning the Stanford Inn in Mendocino? Would you be traveling with kids? If not, I’ve also mentioned the Las Alcobas (Marriott) in Napa Valley when gabbing with @calypso726 and @wanderlust7 stayed at the Ventana Inn (Hyatt) in Big Sur that’s all the rage since it became all inclusive.

Last edited:
Has anybody stayed at the Hyatt Carmel Valley Ranch? Worth using $25k URs a night? The Ventana isn't available for our nights, but this one is.

No, but I’ve considered it. I think your trade off vs. hotels/resorts closer to the coast like the Carmel Highlands Inn and Ventana Inn is those will have ocean views whereas Carmel Valley is in a valley, a few miles inland. That also means Carmel Valley will almost always have better weather than lodging along the coast. The marine later doesn’t reach quite that far inland. So while at the Ventana or Highlands Inn, you’re paying for the views, you may have overcast weather until, hopefully, the fog burns off. Carmel Valley is a bit pastoral, but has great vineyards and restaurants. Also be sure to stop by Earthbound Farms. They have a cute little market and beautiful gardens. It’s a short drive from Carmel-by-the-Sea - cute shops, lots of dining options. Carmel Beach is one of our favorites, but may be too chilly when you’re planning on visiting. Short drive to Monterey in the north, Point Lobos And onward to Big Sur heading south. Traffic in the area and heading down to Big Sur has gotten really bad in recent years. That whole area is so beautiful and picturesque. Everyone’s gotta show it off on their insta.

if its just 2 ppl, then Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe or id do big sur with Ventana (part of Hyatt's luxury collection). If your Marriott fan, u can possibly to Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay to relax.
ive heard Lake Tahoe may be over runned by tourist, but hyatt regency sits in the north which should be pretty quiet. id probably avoid the NV/CA border area in that case... ill let @gottalovepluto make a comment on Lake Tahoe.

ps, most of the places i listed are places i just want to go personally to relax and enjoy some luxury...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay. I just recently booked a stay with 2x 50k FNCs.

I think you may be thinking of me mentioning the Stanford Inn in Mendocino? Would you be traveling with kids? If not, I’ve also mentioned the Las Alcobas (Marriott) in Napa Valley when gabbing with @calypso726 and @wanderlust7 stayed at the Ventana Inn (Hyatt) in Big Sur that’s all the rage since it became all inclusive.

We would not be traveling with kids. I'll check out both of those!

No, but I’ve considered it. I think your trade off vs. hotels/resorts closer to the coast like the Carmel Highlands Inn and Ventana Inn is those will have ocean views whereas Carmel Valley is in a valley, a few miles inland. That also means Carmel Valley will almost always have better weather than lodging along the coast. The marine later doesn’t reach quite that far inland. So while at the Ventana or Highlands Inn, you’re paying for the views, you may have overcast weather until, hopefully, the fog burns off. Carmel Valley is a bit pastoral, but has great vineyards and restaurants. Also be sure to stop by Earthbound Farms. They have a cute little market and beautiful gardens. It’s a short drive from Carmel-by-the-Sea - cute shops, lots of dining options. Carmel Beach is one of our favorites, but may be too chilly when you’re planning on visiting. Short drive to Monterey in the north, Point Lobos And onward to Big Sur heading south. Traffic in the area and heading down to Big Sur has gotten really bad in recent years. That whole area is so beautiful and picturesque. Everyone’s gotta show it off on their insta.

Yeah, the weather is always a concern that time of year, but we've had anniversary trips to Monterey and San Francisco with great weather, and a really rainy one to Fort Bragg. They've all been fun, though! Thank you!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay. I just recently booked a stay with 2x 50k FNCs.

I was going to suggest this one but see that you beat me to it. Nice redemption with the FNCs. :) It's usually a bit cold over there, but so very pretty. Enjoy! If we can't get away (farther) then it's definitely a place I'm considering for the FNC I was hoping to use in Copenhagen this week.

I was going to suggest this one but see that you beat me to it. Nice redemption with the FNCs. :) It's usually a bit cold over there, but so very pretty. Enjoy! If we can't get away (farther) then it's definitely a place I'm considering for the FNC I was hoping to use in Copenhagen this week.

With travel so up in the air (ha ha), I don’t know when we’ll be able to use these certs. So I booked a stay at the RC HMB next month when we in Northern California usually get our summers so 🤞!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter