• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this virtual school thing is tough with high school boys. I got mine up and apparently he fell back asleep while waiting for his first class to start. Luckily the teacher emailed me that he was missing a quiz. I'm not sure having the desk and the bed in the same room is the best idea but I'm not sure what the alternative is. Is it 2021 yet?

Same problems here. My 7th grader kept trying for 20 mins to get onto a class yesterday then gave up. Realized after that he was trying to get into the wrong class, so he missed it. Then today, my husband woke him up for class but it was too early so he told my son that he'd wake him up in 20 mins. Which he then forgot. I got home 45 mins later and he was sound asleep, missing the same class 2 days in a row. :oops: He's usually on top of everything though. It's my 2 high schoolers that are killing me slowly. I often have to wake them up in between classes, everytime saying "do I need to follow you to college too, to make sure you're up on time? We can be roommates!"

Same problems here. My 7th grader kept trying for 20 mins to get onto a class yesterday then gave up. Realized after that he was trying to get into the wrong class, so he missed it. Then today, my husband woke him up for class but it was too early so he told my son that he'd wake him up in 20 mins. Which he then forgot. I got home 45 mins later and he was sound asleep, missing the same class 2 days in a row. :oops: He's usually on top of everything though. It's my 2 high schoolers that are killing me slowly. I often have to wake them up in between classes, everytime saying "do I need to follow you to college too, to make sure you're up on time? We can be roommates!"

At least in college they can sleep in class. Even in the uncomfortable wooden, no padding, fold down lecture room chairs. Econ teacher spent more time talking about his high school days than the course material. Gave up on the huge marketing class and just slept in since they put the power point online.

The classes with actual desks or tables that were generally 50 or less people I stayed awake in. Lecture halls too if it was interesting or had a friend to chat with. Awful yes, but then you shouldn't be boring 😂 I was much better my 2nd degree but I also didn't have any class bigger than 50 people and most were interesting since it was all for my major and a few ge classes.

At least in college they can sleep in class. Even in the uncomfortable wooden, no padding, fold down lecture room chairs. Econ teacher spent more time talking about his high school days than the course material. Gave up on the huge marketing class and just slept in since they put the power point online.

The classes with actual desks or tables that were generally 50 or less people I stayed awake in. Lecture halls too if it was interesting or had a friend to chat with. Awful yes, but then you shouldn't be boring 😂 I was much better my 2nd degree but I also didn't have any class bigger than 50 people and most were interesting since it was all for my major and a few ge classes.

Haha, yeah that wouldn't have worked for me. I'm so old that there was no "on-line" to put any lectures on. ;) Of course, I was also a nerd who would write pages of notes in every class... None of my kids will be doing that. All I hear from them is, "It's all online!"

Another pet peeve is that I can't get my 7th grader to write out any math work in algebra. He does it all in his head. And is usually right, but I keep trying to explain that the harder it gets, and the longer the equations, the easier it is to write it out. Otherwise he (and teachers) can't see what he did, if he gets a problem wrong. >:( Nobody listens to me. Except the dogs.

Haha, yeah that wouldn't have worked for me. I'm so old that there was no "on-line" to put any lectures on. ;) Of course, I was also a nerd who would write pages of notes in every class... None of my kids will be doing that. All I hear from them is, "It's all online!"

Another pet peeve is that I can't get my 7th grader to write out any math work in algebra. He does it all in his head. And is usually right, but I keep trying to explain that the harder it gets, and the longer the equations, the easier it is to write it out. Otherwise he (and teachers) can't see what he did, if he gets a problem wrong. >:( Nobody listens to me. Except the dogs.

This was the end of the 90s start of the 00s so not many did. My history class I had copious notes because he kept talking the entire class. Marketing waa boring, was in the huge theatre and I didn't like the teacher. Most classes I took notes because we had to. Skipping also only worked for classes that didn't take attendance. Though 2nd degree I had the same teacher for two classes, one during the day and one at night. His lectures were straight out of the assigned reading so I stopped going. He would let me know during the other class if he was covering stuff not in the reading so I would go. Tests were also open book but I kept up with the reading so he understood and didn't care that I didn't go.

We never got credit for math if we didn't show our work. But also that new math is nuts, ridiculous and unnecessary. It's good I don't have kids or they'd be learning the normal way while learning remotely if they wanted help.

[
So this virtual school thing is tough with high school boys. I got mine up and apparently he fell back asleep while waiting for his first class to start. Luckily the teacher emailed me that he was missing a quiz. I'm not sure having the desk and the bed in the same room is the best idea but I'm not sure what the alternative is. Is it 2021 yet?
Agree 110%! As much as we would prefer to keep DS remote, I broke down and sent the email for him to start hybrid in January. After a full school day online, he is burnt out and has no desire to do his homework. I am just glad we have that option that many do not.

Just try being the teacher in virtual learning. I talk to myself all day and stare at a screen of icons :(

Just try being the teacher in virtual learning. I talk to myself all day and stare at a screen of icons :(

I can only imagine. I did some training on teams a couple weeks ago, no video and I was sharing my screen. They were all on mute and I'd ask if anyone had any questions and get nothing. Thought I was talking to myself and had to make sure it was still connected.

We never got credit for math if we didn't show our work. But also that new math is nuts, ridiculous and unnecessary. It's good I don't have kids or they'd be learning the normal way while learning remotely if they wanted help.
The way my kid does multiplication at home: Alexa ... What is 4 plus 4 plus 4 plus 4?
So at least he listened when I explained that multiplication is merely addition, repeated a number of times, i.e. 4 x 4 is 4, 4 times

Our students must show their face continuously to be considered present (none of this showing your arm or an icon is acceptable). No wonder the virtual learning students are failing at a high rate!

Woohoo! I absolutely, positively, DETEST making phone calls, but I forced myself to for my Reserve. Earlier in the year, I was certain I’d be cancelling it, but, since they kept the fee at $450, added the Door Dash credit, added pay yourself back, and increased point earning on a few things here and there, I had decided I’d probably keep it at least one more year. Thanks to people on here and reports on DOC, I screwed up my courage and made the retention call anyway. Bam! $250! And here I was hoping for $150.

Side note: while I generally fall on the introvert side of things, I’m not shy or anything. I just have always hated making calls, even for good reasons, like rsvps and the like. Just a weird personality quirk. But, now I’m kicking myself for just meekly paying the $95 fee on my Bonvoy card pretty much the second it posted. Although, to be sure, that retention offer, if there had been one, would NOT have been $250.

Anyhow, feeling pretty darn proud of myself for making the call. (And I didn’t even have to have a glass of wine first. Going to go have one now, though.😀)

The way my kid does multiplication at home: Alexa ... What is 4 plus 4 plus 4 plus 4?
So at least he listened when I explained that multiplication is merely addition, repeated a number of times, i.e. 4 x 4 is 4, 4 times

Our students must show their face continuously to be considered present (none of this showing your arm or an icon is acceptable). No wonder the virtual learning students are failing at a high rate!
Our county will not require it and no one turns the camera on. Dd is a senior in an IB program (they’re basically a bunch of highly driven nerds). At the beginning of the year they all had their cameras on. Now none of them do. Ds never turned his on and when I go into his room when he’s “in school” there’s maybe one kid with the camera on.

I had to call the bank to dispute a transaction on my Cdn Aeroplan Visa card today (I ordered 12lb dumbells on October 18th and they still haven't shipped, company doesn't answer the phone and doesn't respond to my e-mails). Guys I failed the id verification and they put a security alert on my card :headache::headache:.

I realize you are probably asking how can the cardholder fail the id verification? It goes like this: verify your name, address and phone number (nailed those :P). Then, do you have another phone number on your card (honestly I have no idea if they have my home phone number or not and we never use it, so I couldn't be 100% sure; said yes, but was told I failed that answer); name one direct payment you have on your card (told them the newspaper, but quickly looked at my account online and realized it is on my other CIBC card, so immediately corrected myself -- not fast enough though because I was told in short order that I failed that question as well); next question: how long have you had a CIBC Visa (I asked, "you mean this card", was told "no, how long since you held your first CIBC card"; I've held a CIBC credit card since my early 20s, and I'm not young, so I said over 20 years -- guess what, I failed this answer too). With my frustration growing, after all I was only calling to dispute a $45.05 transaction, I disconnected the call and called again. The lovely first agent had suspended my card and I was told that I had to speak to the security department.

I get transferred to the security department and was told that they needed to call me back at the number listed on my card (after verifying it). No problem. Except that my cell phone decides to go straight to v-mail, so I missed their call. Call back and get disconnected a few times. Finally reached them and the questions I had to answer were unreal. Driver's license number, list recent transactions on my card, my mother's DOB, amount of our mortgage and few others (thankfully not my height and weight, but I thought they were close to asking that as well). All because some not-so-nice call center agent decided to flag my account. After 2 hours, yes, 2 hours, my card was re-activated (I was doing things in between calls). So I could file the dispute I initially called about. For $45.05 (at this point it's about the principle of the matter).

Called to dispute the transaction and have to go through the verification process again. The questions are ridiculous once again, but this time I had my card open online and was able to answer them correctly. Asked to be transferred to the dept. to file a dispute, but guess what? Can't transfer the call because "phones aren't working properly". I went through my ordeal with the CSR and he said he was going to issue a $250.00 credit on my card because they appreciate my business (I told him I was going to file the dispute and then cancel my card). He thought that would suffice and I wouldn't want to continue with my dispute, but I don't think a company should be able to charge for a transaction but never ship the item, so I said that I still wanted to file the dispute. Finally got through to the correct department and guess what? Had to verify myself yet again (had the bathroom scale ready just in case they asked my weight -- didn't want to fail that :upsidedow). and was finally able to file the dispute. Only took 3 hours total. Incidentially I looked up the company online (XTC Fitness) and there is a slew of recent complaints about them (same thing -- taking cc payment never shipping product).

Contrast this with AmEx for a missing $5.00 credit for the Shop Small promo in September. Verification was done by inputting my mother's DOB before CSR picked up the call. Within 2 minutes the credit is issued and the call was over.

I am undecided if I will continue with the CIBC card once the dispute is resolved. The security verification process is unnecessary and the number of questions they ask is insane. I forgot to mention that I also filed a complaint with a manager about how the first CSR handled my call and expressed how angry I was that he put a fraud alert on my card.

Your AF just posted right? this is the "credit" they give u for Amex Plat for keeping it till next year.

Source: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/more...atinum-cardholders-get-200-amextravel-credit/
I don’t get charged/pay an annual fee, but I think I did originally open the account in December. So I just assumed it was replacing the other statement credits. But now that I look more closely at the email they sent me it does say “in appreciation of your card membership.” So, I guess that means I get $400 free dollars next year? I’m not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter