• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it still true that I can use the costo gc to buy in store without a membership?
I think it depends on the individual store. Also, my Costco had a sign that they're only allowing in one person per membership card (as a covid precaution). I can't see them letting anyone in right now without a card.

This is probably right in front of the Courtyard, Hyatt, Quality Inn, and Holiday Inn and Suites in the 15th Street to 17th Street area.

I booked 19th and 20th at the Hyatt anyway, pending getting more information. Points rooms were still available (20K). Cash rate is $519 plus tax, about 2.85 cents per point. This may get canceled. I also like to go near the end of July as I like to go to the Greek Festival they have at the convention center, assuming they have it this year.
OK .... now you've got me thinking (and dreaming) about this Ocean City.... we visited once for an overnight.....of those hotels you mentioned,which do you like best and why? Was wondering about Hilton options in the area also.....

@Killer Fish and other Xbox experts 😆 I’m wondering if I buy Xbox gift cards at a discount can they be used to pay for Xbox live gold memberships? I’m realizing how much money DH and DS spend on Xbox/Microsoft purchases through their consoles and looking to save some money. Wondering if it’s as easy as adding discounted gift cards to their accounts.

This is a relief. I really wanted to space out the next application, and also want to be sure I’m doing the right thing with our next application. The current circumstances make it very difficult to plan. We used our CSR points to reserve a stay at Portofino in 2022. We would’ve done the PYB, but do not currently have enough purchases to cash out the points and get the full point value back. We still aren’t even sure if the 2022 trip is going to happen. DH is adamant that we do not go on a trip while we still have to wear masks and follow social distancing.

He may not get there for a few years. I don't see them dropping a lot of requirements very quickly. One way to return to a higher capacity (and more profits) more quickly is to keep such safeguards in place, and develop plans for using a fast pass type reservation program virtually to promote more social distancing. Take into account that Disneyland has not yet even reopened.

Just throwing stuff off the top of my head here. I figure this virus has caused the way we do business to change long term, not just in the moment. Companies should be looking at ways to survive stuff like this better in the future, to include restaurants, gyms, theaters, bars, churches, schools. I'm not talking masks and social distancing per se. That was/is the stopgap for the moment. There's got to be a better way going forward.

is it still true that I can use the costo gc to buy in store without a membership?
The Costco I go to does not allow it, not sure about other locations
I think it depends on the individual store. Also, my Costco had a sign that they're only allowing in one person per membership card (as a covid precaution). I can't see them letting anyone in right now without a card.
I'm pretty sure you can visit Pharmacy, Automotive, and concession stand without a membership. Unsure about shopping.

OK .... now you've got me thinking (and dreaming) about this Ocean City.... we visited once for an overnight.....of those hotels you mentioned,which do you like best and why? Was wondering about Hilton options in the area also.....

Okay.

Over all, I prefer the Holiday Inn and Suites on 17th Street. But it hasn't had an update and is really needing one. But most of the rooms are oceanfront. They are all 1 bedroom suites with a galley kitchen. They have big balconies with room for a regular sized patio dining table with 4 chairs and they have lovely corner suites with extra windows and more view. But they need an update badly, really badly, especially to yank out the jacuzzi tub and shower. Yuchh on that. Oh yes - best pools for kids here. Separate adult pool and fairly extensive as OC goes, kids pool, plus indoor pool.

Newest is Hyatt and it is a traditional Hyatt Place if you've ever stayed in one. It's also small, but new. Best price with points. So far. Pools are basic but one has a 1 ft depth area for kiddies.

Quality Inn - ok but old and needing a serious update. I no longer keep up with this rewards program so have no comment on it. Oh - it's been quite some time since I've had a room here, so maybe it's has some update. But I think I would have heard.

Courtyard - well kept but has very small balconies and a lot of rooms are just city view. Jacked up prices for points rooms - 70K all summer. Kind of a 'cold' staff, unlike the others. Similar decor to most CY's. EDIT: I do have to say the owner/manager was very kind one early morning when I was getting coffee with a grand in pj's and brought her a fresh warm cookie.

Hilton has a property further down the street beyond the Boardwalk (past 28th) and it has been beyond my means points wise and $ wise in summer. Off season the others are a much better fit for me. Bay side there are a couple more Hilton products.

High summer I want to be on the ocean side, but there are a lot of nice rooms on the Bay side (a lot are pretty new) and I would stay and walk across Coastal Highway if necessary.

Most newer options are not down near the inlet area. I rarely go anywhere near the crush of people down there or Trimpers. But that is where a lot of people go - there's more rinkydink stuff down there that attracts people.

I did consider buying a property around 10th street, but decided that I wouldn't go often enough to justify and I don't want to have a rental.

I just passed a year of having my Cap 1 Spark Biz card, so I know my AF is coming soon. Do I need to call to see if they will waive the AF for the year or can I SM? Do I wait until the AF posts to that account or can I contact them before?

We typically stay at the Comfort Inn on 1st St since it is close to the action. My boys (DH and DS) like to play the arcade games way too much.

He may not get there for a few years. I don't see them dropping a lot of requirements very quickly. One way to return to a higher capacity (and more profits) more quickly is to keep such safeguards in place, and develop plans for using a fast pass type reservation program virtually to promote more social distancing. Take into account that Disneyland has not yet even reopened.

Just throwing stuff off the top of my head here. I figure this virus has caused the way we do business to change long term, not just in the moment. Companies should be looking at ways to survive stuff like this better in the future, to include restaurants, gyms, theaters, bars, churches, schools. I'm not talking masks and social distancing per se. That was/is the stopgap for the moment. There's got to be a better way going forward.
I think it really depends on how fast we get herd immunity and that depends on people being willing to be vaccinated and vaccine supply. But I'm also not willing to spend oodles of money on a vacation and wear a mask. I'm fine with visiting my parents.

Meanwhile my ex is at WDW/Universal this week.

Last edited:
@Killer Fish and other Xbox experts 😆 I’m wondering if I buy Xbox gift cards at a discount can they be used to pay for Xbox live gold memberships? I’m realizing how much money DH and DS spend on Xbox/Microsoft purchases through their consoles and looking to save some money. Wondering if it’s as easy as adding discounted gift cards to their accounts.

Yeah absolutely although the best way would probably find the cheapest multi year live offer (Costco I think) and do it that way. Not sure if you have Amex Biz platinum but you can use those credits to buy Microsoft gift cards which can be used for the subscription. That would be full retail price but if you were not planning on using that credit for something else it would make sense. The nice thing about Microsoft gift cards is that they can also be used for hardware (controllers/consoles).

I've missed you guys. It's been a hard year teaching both full time in person learners and remote learners. We've been in person, then remote, then in person, then remote...It's been exhausting. My own 4th grader and 7th grader have needed tremendous amount of help, too.

I have cancelled several of the CIPs (DH and mine). Did I see that I should sign up for CIU and then CFU? I would be transfering UR to my CSR.

By the way, I can't thank this group enough. We were able to travel this year with our timeshare and camper, using HHonors points for overnights on the road and paying off all our groceries and take-out with our CSR. The pay yourself back @ 1.5 on those categories worked so well for us.

We're headed to Disney over Christmas (to use our military tickets that Disney wouldn't refund, but extended the expiration date). Merry Christmas to all of you. I can't wait to read how this year has been for all of you.

Okay.

Over all, I prefer the Holiday Inn and Suites on 17th Street. But it hasn't had an update and is really needing one. But most of the rooms are oceanfront. They are all 1 bedroom suites with a galley kitchen. They have big balconies with room for a regular sized patio dining table with 4 chairs and they have lovely corner suites with extra windows and more view. But they need an update badly, really badly, especially to yank out the jacuzzi tub and shower. Yuchh on that. Oh yes - best pools for kids here. Separate adult pool and fairly extensive as OC goes, kids pool, plus indoor pool.

Newest is Hyatt and it is a traditional Hyatt Place if you've ever stayed in one. It's also small, but new. Best price with points. So far. Pools are basic but one has a 1 ft depth area for kiddies.

Quality Inn - ok but old and needing a serious update. I no longer keep up with this rewards program so have no comment on it. Oh - it's been quite some time since I've had a room here, so maybe it's has some update. But I think I would have heard.

Courtyard - well kept but has very small balconies and a lot of rooms are just city view. Jacked up prices for points rooms - 70K all summer. Kind of a 'cold' staff, unlike the others. Similar decor to most CY's. EDIT: I do have to say the owner/manager was very kind one early morning when I was getting coffee with a grand in pj's and brought her a fresh warm cookie.

Hilton has a property further down the street beyond the Boardwalk (past 28th) and it has been beyond my means points wise and $ wise in summer. Off season the others are a much better fit for me. Bay side there are a couple more Hilton products.

High summer I want to be on the ocean side, but there are a lot of nice rooms on the Bay side (a lot are pretty new) and I would stay and walk across Coastal Highway if necessary.

Most newer options are not down near the inlet area. I rarely go anywhere near the crush of people down there or Trimpers. But that is where a lot of people go - there's more rinkydink stuff down there that attracts people.

I did consider buying a property around 10th street, but decided that I wouldn't go often enough to justify and I don't want to have a rental.
thanks!

Google pay referral has been slashed. Glad I jumped on it last night. Noticed it had decreased earlier and then DoC just posted on it too.
Adding to this anyone who referred someone who set up an account but did not complete the requirements to trigger the referral bonus is now under the new offer. I just helped a fam member complete the person to person part and despite having set up their account using a referral from a few days back (thankfully they hit the Target offer then) they received a whopping $3...

We typically stay at the Comfort Inn on 1st St since it is close to the action. My boys (DH and DS) like to play the arcade games way too much.

My 'kids' get down there. I'm pretty much the opposite probably because I'm older and don't do much that they have. I did see a breakfast place down by 2nd street that I want to try if it's open when I go. I could walk down early morning and then take the boardwalk trolley back.

I usually walk to 8th street to get Thrasher's fries.

I think it really depends on how fast we get herd immunity and that depends on people being willing to be vaccinated and vaccine supply. But I'm also not willing to spend oodles of money on a vacation and wear a mask. I'm fine with visiting my parents.

Meanwhile my ex is at WDW/Universal this week.

I can understand that. My next trip is now scheduled for Nov of 21. I do have the Hilton Head trip but that's different.

I guess time will tell.

I'm getting nervous. I rented a place by the beach in Florida for a month (January) but the covid numbers in that county (which were about the same as at home when I rented) keep going up. The positivity percentage there is over 20% compared to around 7% at home. I was planning to pretty much isolate but be on a beach with nicer weather and I will lose almost all of my money at this point, but I'm really having second thoughts.

Yeah absolutely although the best way would probably find the cheapest multi year live offer (Costco I think) and do it that way. Not sure if you have Amex Biz platinum but you can use those credits to buy Microsoft gift cards which can be used for the subscription. That would be full retail price but if you were not planning on using that credit for something else it would make sense. The nice thing about Microsoft gift cards is that they can also be used for hardware (controllers/consoles).
Awesome! Thanks. I will look at Costco. Don’t currently have a Biz Plat, but will keep that in mind for future use. I have the personal Platinum and get the Dell offers with that. Appreciate your advice

I'm getting nervous. I rented a place by the beach in Florida for a month (January) but the covid numbers in that county (which were about the same as at home when I rented) keep going up. The positivity percentage there is over 20% compared to around 7% at home. I was planning to pretty much isolate but be on a beach with nicer weather and I will lose almost all of my money at this point, but I'm really having second thoughts.
I would still go and stay out of restaurants and pick up groceries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter